Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colywobbles
    • Nov 2018

Zen I’m feeling the Cabinet love and boy it’s truly incredible

Well I’ve finished my build which only started when you guys released the Williams beta, the glass and door are finally in place so it’s time to say a big Thank You! You guys absolutely Rock big time.

TBH it was all well worth my time and effort to compliment your awesome simulations with a cabinet they Truly deserve.

Main screen is 40in 4K powered by i7 8700k and RTX1080. I’m running PinballX front end with KL25Z nudge board and it runs each table in Arcade mode using the -classic parameter flawlessly in steady 60 frames with vsync.

Things I’d love to see you guys do would be any of the following to enhance what is already a perfect masterpiece:

An option to make camera lock to full screen without zooming to animations and also Enhanced mode the default in the menu so no need to sw on each time I play a table. I’ve noticed you can now skip animations by pressing both flippers but an option in menu would save even this.

Colourised DMD in enhanced mode much like some of the community made ones of VPX for that extra flash of eye candy.

And finally whilst I’m dreaming lol. A menu much like Arcooda but with the enhancement of the usual and superior Zen art style for simple cab selection and launch without a keyboard. I for one would pay for this as a DLC as I think most of the cabinet community would to cover your development costs.

I am in no rush for Volume 2 as I’m loving the current tables as much as my real life ones which are FH, TZ and hopefully soon the new MB LE remake which I have pre ordered.

I also have access to several others a fellow pinhead has in his gamesroom so if you want me to beta test anything “wink wink” just gimme a shout.

Thanks again Zen and keep up the good work. I’ve already convinced several of my gaming buddy’s to try the Williams tables and although not as crazy on pinball as me they are hooked already and not just on fish tales (see what I did there) hehe
  • McLovin
    Marketing Manager
    • Apr 2017

Hi Colywobbles!

Thanks for the kind words, this is great!

That looks like a beast of a pinball cabinet indeed. I like the suggestions as well, they'd enhance the experience indeed. The locked camera on 'Classic' is something we've been hearing and are working to include in the future.

Your fellow pinhead has real machines? The envy!

Comment

• cocothetrain
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Colywobbles
      Well I’ve finished my build which only started when you guys released the Williams beta, the glass and door are finally in place so it’s time to say a big Thank You! You guys absolutely Rock big time.

TBH it was all well worth my time and effort to compliment your awesome simulations with a cabinet they Truly deserve.

Main screen is 40in 4K powered by i7 8700k and RTX1080. I’m running PinballX front end with KL25Z nudge board and it runs each table in Arcade mode using the -classic parameter flawlessly in steady 60 frames with vsync.

Things I’d love to see you guys do would be any of the following to enhance what is already a perfect masterpiece:

An option to make camera lock to full screen without zooming to animations and also Enhanced mode the default in the menu so no need to sw on each time I play a table. I’ve noticed you can now skip animations by pressing both flippers but an option in menu would save even this.

Colourised DMD in enhanced mode much like some of the community made ones of VPX for that extra flash of eye candy.

And finally whilst I’m dreaming lol. A menu much like Arcooda but with the enhancement of the usual and superior Zen art style for simple cab selection and launch without a keyboard. I for one would pay for this as a DLC as I think most of the cabinet community would to cover your development costs.

I am in no rush for Volume 2 as I’m loving the current tables as much as my real life ones which are FH, TZ and hopefully soon the new MB LE remake which I have pre ordered.

I also have access to several others a fellow pinhead has in his gamesroom so if you want me to beta test anything “wink wink” just gimme a shout.

Thanks again Zen and keep up the good work. I’ve already convinced several of my gaming buddy’s to try the Williams tables and although not as crazy on pinball as me they are hooked already and not just on fish tales (see what I did there) hehe
      Amazing build! I have a cabinet I put together a few years ago and am going to work on bumping a bit. Mind if I ask some questions about the setup?

1 - RTX 1080? Is that a GTX 1080? Or the new RTX 2080? How does 4K run on the card? Max settings across the board and buttery smooth?
      2 - Is your main screen a TV or monitor? Specs on the screen? Refresh rate?
      3 - Is yours a 3 screen setup? If so what are you using for the DMD? I am thinking about getting a pindmd3 for my upgrade

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Colywobbles
        • Nov 2018

1. Sorry the new RTX 2080 and exactly as you say 4K everything maxed and yes buttery smooth with no frame drops. Without vsync it was running over 250+ frames dropping to around 150 at worst but using vsync it obviously locks to 60 frames solid.

2. Its a TV using the Samsung UE40NU7120 panel running in 4K and using game mode. (I think game mode locks refresh rate to 60 with no processing) I chose a 40 over a 43 as it fits to a couple of mm using a standard lock bar with 18mm sides just like a real cabinet. But more importantly in Zens view 2 the flippers are exact size to real ones on my FH & TZ

3. Yes it’s 3 screens the back glass one is 27in had 3 of them lying around from a driving rig that was converted to VR so they were not needed. Although I’d prefer a 30 if I can ever source one cheap. The DMD one is an old del 19in I had stuck up the loft along with several others.

I may go PinDMD myself but I’m waiting till Zen does true Cabinet mode and supports it (I think you have to monkey around ATM) anyway it works well enough as it is and the older score displays on the 80s stuff works well.

I know this setup is a little overkill but I also love my VR stuff FX2 VR included and it also benefits from it.

Hope this helps Col

Comment

• cocothetrain
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Colywobbles
          1. Sorry the new RTX 2080 and exactly as you say 4K everything maxed and yes buttery smooth with no frame drops. Without vsync it was running over 250+ frames dropping to around 150 at worst but using vsync it obviously locks to 60 frames solid.

2. Its a TV using the Samsung UE40NU7120 panel running in 4K and using game mode. (I think game mode locks refresh rate to 60 with no processing) I chose a 40 over a 43 as it fits to a couple of mm using a standard lock bar with 18mm sides just like a real cabinet. But more importantly in Zens view 2 the flippers are exact size to real ones on my FH & TZ

3. Yes it’s 3 screens the back glass one is 27in had 3 of them lying around from a driving rig that was converted to VR so they were not needed. Although I’d prefer a 30 if I can ever source one cheap. The DMD one is an old del 19in I had stuck up the loft along with several others.

I may go PinDMD myself but I’m waiting till Zen does true Cabinet mode and supports it (I think you have to monkey around ATM) anyway it works well enough as it is and the older score displays on the 80s stuff works well.

I know this setup is a little overkill but I also love my VR stuff FX2 VR included and it also benefits from it.

Hope this helps Col
          This is great info! Thank you so much.

Your setup sounds a lot like my for the backglass / DMD. I am currently running a 28" 720p TV with an old 19" Acer for the DMD.

I doubt we will ever see true DMD support from Zen since there is no standard device. The PinDMD is a propriety device, and the other popular option is open source. From what I read DMDExt works really well with the PinDMD.

Even if you are using an LCD (like I am for the DMD), give DMDExt a try! It does a much better job of rending the DMD than Zen does out of the box. Will make your DMD look even better on that 19"

I would love to hear from Zen directly about the video card side of things. There will be a point, somewhere between a GTX 1060 and the RTX 2080 where there is complete falloff and no need to upgrade further.

Comment

• malek256
            • Nov 2018

That is a tremendous cab - looks really gorgeous. I have started on a similar setup (i7, VR Ready, GTX 1070) and appreciate the info on playfield monitor. I am hunting for a 4k playfield now and will look for the Samsung UE40NU7120.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of Cabinet mode questions:
            I am finding that the position of the playfield window is not retained between loads (on my second, rotated monitor) - by which I mean every time I start play, I have to drag the second window onto the second monitor. Did you have to do something special to make that work?

Similarly, I am finding that with Williams tables I cannot get the playfield DMD to honour the "DMD Size: OFF" setting, usually the playfield gets rotated and DMD shows even with this setting off.

Have you considered/found options to play FX3 in a 3D mode? Something like BAM or even a static display with 3D glasses? If there are options for good 3D (3D TV for example), I would be disappointed to get a nice 4K TV and then realize I should have bought a 1080p 3D TV for example or perhaps put the money into an Oculus Rift for FX3 VR.
            Last edited by malek256; 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• malek256
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by cocothetrain
              This is great info! Thank you so much.

I would love to hear from Zen directly about the video card side of things. There will be a point, somewhere between a GTX 1060 and the RTX 2080 where there is complete falloff and no need to upgrade further.
              I am using a GTX 1070, but playfield is currently just a 1366x768 TV I had extra. As and when I get a 4K (looking right now) I will let you know about performance.

Comment

• Moosebox
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by malek256
                I am using a GTX 1070, but playfield is currently just a 1366x768 TV I had extra. As and when I get a 4K (looking right now) I will let you know about performance.
                1070 should be more than enough for 4k, 60hz (60fps). It can probably even do 120hz with some settings on medium.

I have a RX580 and I easily get the 60 fps I need for smooth gameplay on my TV. So I would think you would want at least a RX580 or GTX1060 for 4k at 60hz.

Comment

• Colywobbles
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by malek256
                  That is a tremendous cab - looks really gorgeous. I have started on a similar setup (i7, VR Ready, GTX 1070) and appreciate the info on playfield monitor. I am hunting for a 4k playfield now and will look for the Samsung UE40NU7120.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of Cabinet mode questions:
                  I am finding that the position of the playfield window is not retained between loads (on my second, rotated monitor) - by which I mean every time I start play, I have to drag the second window onto the second monitor. Did you have to do something special to make that work?

Similarly, I am finding that with Williams tables I cannot get the playfield DMD to honour the "DMD Size: OFF" setting, usually the playfield gets rotated and DMD shows even with this setting off.

Have you considered/found options to play FX3 in a 3D mode? Something like BAM or even a static display with 3D glasses? If there are options for good 3D (3D TV for example), I would be disappointed to get a nice 4K TV and then realize I should have bought a 1080p 3D TV for example or perhaps put the money into an Oculus Rift for FX3 VR.
                  I am assuming you do have the cabinet mode enabled which requires a code from Zen which they email too you. I haven’t done anything special as Zen has all the required options for you to place your screens and there’s no nee to even use the PinballX front end

I have both a the Vive/Rift and PFX VR is awesome but they don’t have the Williams stuff in there yet fingers crossed though.

Comment

• paulpin
                    • May 2019

I just got my cabinet up and running but I can't play without getting an offline or quit popup..how did you get around that?

Comment

Working...