Thread: Switch Version of Earth Defense Making me CRAZY

Default Switch Version of Earth Defense Making me CRAZY

In August my Xbox One died and all of my PinballFX3 tables went with it. Not wanting to reward Microsoft for shoddy hardware by giving them more money, I decided to replace it with a Switch. This was a bit of a bummer because it meant buying all of my tables over again. Made more of a bummer by the fact that the majority of the tables weren't even available for the Switch. But I grabbed the ones I could, including one of my favorites--Earth Defense.

But there was something odd about this version of Earth Defense. Everything looked and sounded the same, but there's one game-play aspect that's been driving me INSANE. I cannot get the ball completely up and around the left ramp. This is something i had no problem with in the Xbox version. But on the Switch, even while smacking the trigger so hard I fear I'm going to crush it, I can only get it up and around maybe once out of every eight attempts?

Has anybody else noticed this? Please tell me I'm not going crazy. And if I'm sane, why is this happening?

Btw in case you do not know, if you have bought the tables on xbox one and you have windows 10, goto the windows 10 store and download the UWP (non steam) version of pinball FX3 then hit the import tables button. Bought tables on xbox one are also available to play on the windows 10 store version. All your bought tables from xbox one should be available again on your windows 10 pc using that version of the game and even your saved game / progress gets synced from xbox one.

Forgot to mention be sure to login to the store using same account you used for your xbox one might need to login into windows using that account not sure and also login in to the game using same account used on xbox one (i do it that way, it comes asking for the account) It should import all tables
    Last edited by joyrider3774; 11-09-2018 at 09:14 AM.

I have the same problem with Earth Defense on Switch but I thought it was normal or the lights on the ramp tell you if your shot will get blocked or something
    After watching a YouTube video of the table I think you might be right that there is something off with the ramp on the Switch.

joyrider3774, unfortunately I'm on a Mac but thank you for the info

etlame, I have easily over 100 plays of Earth Defense going back to the 360 version, so I can assure you something is definitely up with that ramp on the switch version, as I have never had a problem getting around it previously.

Quote Originally Posted by brighton rock View Post
    you could use bootcamp to install windows 10 on your mac (if it supports it) it might be overkill for just being able to play pinball fx3 but not sure you know about it it basically allaws dual boot between macos & windows 10
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Quote Originally Posted by brighton rock View Post

etlame, I have easily over 100 plays of Earth Defense going back to the 360 version, so I can assure you something is definitely up with that ramp on the switch version, as I have never had a problem getting around it previously.
    I also cant get past the ramp 90% of the times I try. Maybe post it also on the bug thread.

Hm, thanks for this report. There shouldn't be anything specific in the Switch version that makes this particular ramp different.

After we made the Switch 60 fps as well, it shouldn't be an FPS problem either.

I'll get this to QA to see if they can find a cause.

you could use bootcamp to install windows 10 on your mac (if it supports it) it might be overkill for just being able to play pinball fx3 but not sure you know about it it basically allaws dual boot between macos & windows 10

Yeah, my last machine dual booted osX and XP. But at this point, buying a copy of win10 just to play Moon Knight is a little out of my tax bracket (although pinball MAME would be nice...)

I'll get this to QA to see if they can find a cause.

Thank you so much. I didn't want to post this in the bug thread, as I was unsure that was exactly what I was dealing with, even though I was pretty certain something was wrong

Had to test if out for myself and at first I hit it up the ramp 3 times in a row no problem. Then I noticed if you dont hit it perfectly you won't even stand a chance hitting it up that ramp. Even on perfect shots it felt like there was an obstacle blocking the ramp and kicking the ball back. Here's an example.

https://twitter.com/cruston7/status/...856757760?s=19

I never even consider taking a gameplay vid. Thank you so much for doing that

Thanks for the video Tech101! Attached it to the ticket.

Just wanted to say that I am still having this issue with the table. In fact, a LOT of the older tables seem completely broken and frustrating on the Switch. I have similar issues with the lanes on Tesla.

As a person who owns both the switch and the PS4, but always played the PS4 and only have the free switch tables I rarely ever play it, but wanted to see what kind of score I could post on the switch.............anyway, my point about posting is to say there are some differences between the two that are more than just cosmetic, and by that I mean the brightness of the screen in docked mode (never played it undocked) but had a weird glitch occur twice now where the balls that should be in the round thing on the left after capturing them were stuck in the shoot (the lane tunnel thing) but have no idea how to record on the switch more than 30 seconds of video and since it does not buffer to my knowledge the button would have to be pushed at the correct time which I cannot do. Also the zone on the flipper used to hit the lanes or capture the ball are different from the ps4.........hard to explain, but it just shoots the ball differently, not that that is a big thing, but still, not sure why it would be different.
    Accomplishments in real life

1. Rolled a star wars machine................ie played over 99 levels and rolled it back to level 1.
    2. Rolled Nintendo punch out, several times, same quarter.
    3. Played an entire game of dragons lair and completed it and won while blindfolded.

I’ve tested it myself on the Switch (cabinet mode view2) and it looks like it works fine. I managed to make multiple loops in both Single player as Single player classic. You really have to find the sweet spot where you hit the ramp and keep the momentum of the ball roling without hitting the sides of the first part of the steep ramp.

Compared to the X-Box, you can try to use the upper shoulder buttons for the Switch because they are/seem more reactive and have a shorter push mechanism compared to the lower triggers.
    Last edited by DMR140; 06-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.