Thread: FX3 Nintendo Switch Controls Broken in Vertical/Portrait Mode (Dec 2018)

Default FX3 Nintendo Switch Controls Broken in Vertical/Portrait Mode (Dec 2018)

Hi Zen Studios. I wasn't sure if there was a better place to post this issue, as there does not appear to be a dedicated Nintendo Switch sub forum. I primarily run FX3 on my PC through Steam, but like to play on my Nintendo Switch when on the go, or in bed, or whatever, so I tend to play it in Undocked Mode. For obvious reasons, I much prefer to play with my Switch rotated into Vertical mode - generally, I choose to play with the Switch rotated counter-clockwise so that the left JoyCon control is on the bottom, meaning I can use the thumbstick for nudge and the D-Pad for the Flippers. No matter how I choose to rotate the Switch however, there are a number of controller issues that are severely impacting my enjoyment of the game on this platform, which makes me hesitant to invest money into purchasing DLC for the Switch until it's fixed.

In portrait mode with the left Joy-Con on the bottom, I experience the following issues. The "DPad" is used to the activate the flippers. However, I am not able to simultaneously activate BOTH flippers using this method, which can be important particularly for some ball save attempts. If I attempt to activate both flippers at the same time, only the left flipper activates, and the right flipper is forced to deactivate. This should *not* be the case on the Nintendo Switch because opposing DPad directions are not mutually exclusive (like they are on other controls) because the JoyCons do not use a "true" DPad... it uses individual buttons instead, which should allow simultaneous pressing of any directional combination. This only happens when I use the directional keys, but does not happen if I instead activate the flippers using on-screen touch controls. However, if I attempt to use touch controls in this orientation, the Touch-style nudge zones (which I prefer over Swipe style) only activate in the Top half of the screen, which is very inconvenient to reach during gameplay as I prefer to activate the flippers with my thumbs in the bottom corners, so as to avoid covering the playfield - it's far too much reach to hit the nudge zones rapidly during play. However, I would much prefer to simply use the Joy Con controls, primarily because the JoyCon analog stick offer much more fine-tuned control of nudging.

If I instead rotate to portrait mode, but with the right Joy-Con on the bottom, there is a different set of problems. The main one is that the ABXY button controls used to activate the flippers are Double-Assigned to also control other game functions such as changing the playfield camera, activating/deactivating William Table effects, and more. Additionally, in this orientation, the joystick is double-assigned so that if you want to use it for Nudging, it also forces you to look up at the backglass and other undesirable effects. In my attempts to use touch screen controls in the mode, I do not seem to be able to find a consistent zone for nudging, particularly for the left nudge zone... and in any case, they are miles away from where I keep my thumbs to activate the flippers. Again, I'd prefer to be using the hardware JoyCon controls anyway.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that the Nintendo Switch can be used so effectively in Portrait Mode. I think it's very novel and useful for a handheld device, and lends itself perfectly to Pinball, SHMUPS, retro arcade games in vertical orientation, and more. But it's clear that the controls currently have some major cobwebs in the system that need to be cleared out in order for Pinball FX3 to work properly. I hope you'll look into it soon! I want the Switch to be my "take FX3 with you everywhere" platform when I'm away from the PC.

Kind Regards,
    JTenebrous
    Last edited by JTenebrous; 12-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Playing on the go is so much better now that I bought the flip grip. Saw an article a while back about it being something on Kickstarter. Was the first thing I've ever backed. Totally worth it. Might want to look into it.

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

Quote Originally Posted by JTenebrous View Post
    Hi Zen Studios. I wasn't sure if there was a better place to post this issue, as there does not appear to be a dedicated Nintendo Switch sub forum. I primarily run FX3 on my PC through Steam, but like to play on my Nintendo Switch when on the go, or in bed, or whatever, so I tend to play it in Undocked Mode. For obvious reasons, I much prefer to play with my Switch rotated into Vertical mode - generally, I choose to play with the Switch rotated counter-clockwise so that the left JoyCon control is on the bottom, meaning I can use the thumbstick for nudge and the D-Pad for the Flippers. No matter how I choose to rotate the Switch however, there are a number of controller issues that are severely impacting my enjoyment of the game on this platform, which makes me hesitant to invest money into purchasing DLC for the Switch until it's fixed.

In portrait mode with the left Joy-Con on the bottom, I experience the following issues. The "DPad" is used to the activate the flippers. However, I am not able to simultaneously activate BOTH flippers using this method, which can be important particularly for some ball save attempts. If I attempt to activate both flippers at the same time, only the left flipper activates, and the right flipper is forced to deactivate. This should *not* be the case on the Nintendo Switch because opposing DPad directions are not mutually exclusive (like they are on other controls) because the JoyCons do not use a "true" DPad... it uses individual buttons instead, which should allow simultaneous pressing of any directional combination. This only happens when I use the directional keys, but does not happen if I instead activate the flippers using on-screen touch controls. However, if I attempt to use touch controls in this orientation, the Touch-style nudge zones (which I prefer over Swipe style) only activate in the Top half of the screen, which is very inconvenient to reach during gameplay as I prefer to activate the flippers with my thumbs in the bottom corners, so as to avoid covering the playfield - it's far too much reach to hit the nudge zones rapidly during play. However, I would much prefer to simply use the Joy Con controls, primarily because the JoyCon analog stick offer much more fine-tuned control of nudging.

If I instead rotate to portrait mode, but with the right Joy-Con on the bottom, there is a different set of problems. The main one is that the ABXY button controls used to activate the flippers are Double-Assigned to also control other game functions such as changing the playfield camera, activating/deactivating William Table effects, and more. Additionally, in this orientation, the joystick is double-assigned so that if you want to use it for Nudging, it also forces you to look up at the backglass and other undesirable effects. In my attempts to use touch screen controls in the mode, I do not seem to be able to find a consistent zone for nudging, particularly for the left nudge zone... and in any case, they are miles away from where I keep my thumbs to activate the flippers. Again, I'd prefer to be using the hardware JoyCon controls anyway.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that the Nintendo Switch can be used so effectively in Portrait Mode. I think it's very novel and useful for a handheld device, and lends itself perfectly to Pinball, SHMUPS, retro arcade games in vertical orientation, and more. But it's clear that the controls currently have some major cobwebs in the system that need to be cleared out in order for Pinball FX3 to work properly. I hope you'll look into it soon! I want the Switch to be my "take FX3 with you everywhere" platform when I'm away from the PC.

Kind Regards,
    JTenebrous
    First, the issue with thr DPad, is not the software fault, but a hardware fault. The Switch Dpad doesnt allow two input at the same time. It suck but its made like this.

Second, about button getting mix up, the simple solution is to customise your control. Iv set FX visual effect on Left button, and set the camera backbox view to right button. It mixed up if your using powerup effect in portrait, you can also turn the backbox view option simply to OFF, so your right shoulder will proc the powerup effect only.
    Best thing to do, get a Flip Grip! But i think if you dont want that its the best way to play in portrait mode

Love my FlipGrip. It's such a great idea. Simple and well built.

Thanks for the suggestions about the "Flip Grip" everyone. It's an accessory I've had my eye on for awhile, as I also enjoy shmups, but there are no UK-based retailers that I can see, so I've been withholding. It seems clear that it's the most straightforward resolution for this particular issue, however (which may have hardware-based limitations according to one response)... so I've just ordered one and will simply have to deal with international shipping and customs/duty. But, hey, it seems like the right tool for the job and will hopefully be more comfortable to use when playing Pinball FX3 in TATE. Cheers all!

Hi JTenebrous!

We've checked out the pressing 'up' &'down' the same time issue sometime in the past I think, and there our programmers told me that the Switch indeed cannot take in simultaneously 2 buttons from the D-Pad. I personally don't know what was the exact limitation, they advised me based on the test kits we have here and debugging.

The buttong mapping problem we are aware of, trying to come up with the best possible solution.

Flip Grip is awesome!