Thread: Game (tournament!) breaking glitch in Biolab

Exclamation Game (tournament!) breaking glitch in Biolab

I encountered a glitch which could possibly enable cheating in Biolab. It's not new though, I found it with Google: http://forums.xbox.com/34925519/PrintPost.aspx. My glitch was exactly the same as described in the link, except bumping the table didn't get the ball out. I tried tilting and sure enough it tilted but the game was still totally messed up, it got stuck in the TILT message and the tilt sound effect playing continuously.

I decided to report this because there is a tournament going on. Maybe someone can get the ball out and thus their "cheat score" registered. The glitch is very rapidly scoring, it continuously gives 1000 points and 500 000 every few seconds.

I have the glitching game saved on usb stick (the point when it's scoring in the upgrade chamber). I tried to copy it back to the hard drive to experiment a bit more, but it says the save is corrupted (I guess because of some protections). Zen, if you still are interested and want to get the save game, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by MAT View Post
    I encountered a glitch which could possibly enable cheating in Biolab. It's not new though, I found it with Google: http://forums.xbox.com/34925519/PrintPost.aspx. My glitch was exactly the same as described in the link, except bumping the table didn't get the ball out. I tried tilting and sure enough it tilted but the game was still totally messed up, it got stuck in the TILT message and the tilt sound effect playing continuously.

I decided to report this because there is a tournament going on. Maybe someone can get the ball out and thus their "cheat score" registered. The glitch is very rapidly scoring, it continuously gives 1000 points and 500 000 every few seconds.

I have the glitching game saved on usb stick (the point when it's scoring in the upgrade chamber). I tried to copy it back to the hard drive to experiment a bit more, but it says the save is corrupted (I guess because of some protections). Zen, if you still are interested and want to get the save game, PM me.

I just had this happen to me 2 games in a row tonight!!! Both times I was in the middle of a successful clone multiball when one of the balls got stuck. I tried exiting and coming back, but that didn't work. The ball was still stuck in the machine.

Thankfully I was just starting both games, so I was only at around 50 million. If this happened during one of my high scoring games, I think I'd quit. On the positive side, if there is no way of ending it via tilt or getting the ball out, at least it won't corrupt the tournament. Still a serious problem IMO.

Alright. After I posted last I took a break from the tournament and saved a game I had in progress that was going pretty well. Today I picked it up again, got to around 800 million on ball 2 (pre-extra ball), and ran into this bug again! It's a lot more frustrating when it happens on a good game, let me tell you.

At least now I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what causes it. This is what I believe you need to do to hit the bug:

During Clone Multiball, get 2 balls in quick succession into the mission hole. I think that sometimes when you do that, the balls hit each other behind the "fence", and one of them pops off into neverland. It will let you continue to play the multiball with only 1 ball. When you lose that ball, the machine will just hang as described in the original post.

Maybe I'll try a pure upgrade-centric strategy and see how far that takes me, using clone multiball only as a mechanism to light kickbacks. I feel like that's leaving a lot of easy points on the table though. Bah.

Anyone else hitting this with some regularity?

I've experienced this four times out of at least seven hundred plays on Biolab.

Fortunately, this is a low scoring bug. While it gives 1,000 points 2-3 times a second, the 500,000 point bonus is awarded less than twice a minute. This is worth peanuts on Biolab; the value of a single bounce off a maxed bumper is one million points.

The first time it happened to me I had five billion points on my first ball. I'd read about this bug and was irritated that I had to start over. The second time this happened, I had over fifteen billion points and a huge upgrade bonus. I was upset, so I just let it keep going out of curiosity. Five minutes later, the ball made it into the mission hole and play resumed (my score had increased by a measly five million points). The third time this happened, it went for about six minutes before being released from the mission hole. The fourth and final time lasted two minutes and triggered the Easter Egg bonus (although I only noticed it via the 5,000,000 point pop-up since the DMD was too busy).

Since this bug is low scoring, difficult to reproduce, and corrects itself after a few minutes, it won't be a factor in the current tournament. Anyone capable of reproducing this bug would consciously want to avoid it if going for a high score. Its only apparent advantage is discovering the Easter Egg, though someone who's played the table enough times to have this happen has probably received that bonus once through chance (and since the DMD is flooded with the "genetic sequence" graphic, it would be easy to overlook with the standard 500,000 point mission hole bonus).
    Last edited by blue; 01-28-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Oh no, you mean if I waited long enough, it might have kicked the ball out? That's even more demoralizing at this point.

Actually, I do believe it can have a more substantial effect then stated though. When it happened to me, I basically had a 1-ball clone multiball going, which makes is almost trivial to rack up jackpots. While I don't know the scoring exactly, doesn't clone multiball factor into your ball-end bonus too? I thought it did, and with the 10x multiplier that can start to do some serious damage.

Could be wrong about the multiplier though

Quote Originally Posted by ZodiacMunch View Post
    Oh no, you mean if I waited long enough, it might have kicked the ball out? That's even more demoralizing at this point.
    Not might. At this point, I'm certain it would have kicked the ball out if you'd waited a few minutes. It's happened every time I've waited, and I've read at least two other accounts of this happening.

Actually, I do believe it can have a more substantial effect then stated though. When it happened to me, I basically had a 1-ball clone multiball going, which makes is almost trivial to rack up jackpots. While I don't know the scoring exactly, doesn't clone multiball factor into your ball-end bonus too? I thought it did, and with the 10x multiplier that can start to do some serious damage.
    I'm finishing up a post that will explain everything about Biolab, including the end of ball bonuses. The one for Clone Multiball is based on the number of times you've triggered it, not the number of jackpots. It's also much faster/easier to collect super jackpots with two balls.

Most of my score in the tournament came from increasing the upgrade bonus. Each bumper shot is a million points per hit, and it increases the bonus by 100,000. This provides a substantial reward when completing Brains and Wisdom since they always payout 100%.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

I just encountered this bug... I thought it was patched, but no, is isn't. Very nasty game breaking glitch.

When i got Clone Multiball. I hit two balls at the mission hole in quick succession and one of them merged into the middle of the chamber thing, it got stuck and started scoring like crazy...

I nudged the table, and it shot at light speed to the right and got lots of bumper combos.

Zen, i hope you guys look into this, people could abuse this bug to boost their scores. It seems pretty clear how people are getting to this bug easily.
    Last edited by The Albin0 Rhin0; 04-04-2011 at 08:39 PM.

I recently encountered this glitch too. Initially, it was funny as hell to watch the creature get the ever livin' **** shocked out of it. Then I realized it wasn't going to stop. I was in the middle of my high run. This went on for the better part of 7 minutes. Eventually it stopped, but not until it had tacked on millions upon millions to my score. I was so upset, I quit the game. As luck would have it, later on the same day I posted 97M, my personal best by nearly 20M. I was at 90M the game where the glitch kicked in. After it stopped, I was over 105M or so. I can see how someone could let this go on for an indefinite amount of time and rack up some serious BS points. Hard to say what the most is you could get out of it, and how much it's come into play when considering some of the top marks on the leaderboard.

Quote Originally Posted by UranusIsBroken View Post
    I recently encountered this glitch too. Initially, it was funny as hell to watch the creature get the ever livin' **** shocked out of it. Then I realized it wasn't going to stop. I was in the middle of my high run. This went on for the better part of 7 minutes. Eventually it stopped, but not until it had tacked on millions upon millions to my score. I was so upset, I quit the game. As luck would have it, later on the same day I posted 97M, my personal best by nearly 20M. I was at 90M the game where the glitch kicked in. After it stopped, I was over 105M or so. I can see how someone could let this go on for an indefinite amount of time and rack up some serious BS points. Hard to say what the most is you could get out of it, and how much it's come into play when considering some of the top marks on the leaderboard.
    I've had this glitch happen to me on a few occasions, and it will eventually kick the ball out after a few minutes. I've never had it score more than a couple million in that time, and honestly it's more profitable for your score to pursue jackpots in multiball in my experience than try and activate this glitch.

With that said, I hope it's fixed in the future. Any glitch, even if it's not very useful/game breaking can taint someone's perspective of a table.

Well, if this glitch is as bad as it is being claimed to be, then I would suggest that once it's fixed it gets a reset like R&B had, but also resetting the tournament scores that were done on that table if possible and if not then probably resetting them all. Of course, this is harsh to anyone who got a huge score without any glitches but it would only be fair.