Thread: Homage to PFX2 Core Tables

Default Homage to PFX2 Core Tables

I am starting this thread because, now that the 4 core tables have been released enough time ago, I believe we can really appreciate their true qualities with even more objectivity.

I think that each one of those 4 tables is a pinball masterpiece. Each one has its own feeling, its own ambiance.

For example in SOTD, the designers chose to include almost no in-game voice (while in Pasha or Biolab you have a lot of them), and I think they did that because they want us to feel alone in the deep ocean : in SOTD, you are threatened all the time by water flooding, by the Kraken... and not many things happen to cheer you up....

In Pasha, it's all the countrary : when you play it, you feel happy right from the beginning, many things happen and the table is colourful, unlike the monotonous blue of SOTD. The music is also excellent as it conveys a lot of joy....

In Rome, the epic atmosphere is very well made, and in my opinion, what is incredible with this table is that the table is exactly like the Roman Empire : the table doesn't forgive anything, you have to adjust your shoots very precisely, many players complained about that ! But in the Roman Empire, as a soldier you were not allowed to make any mistake either ! You can read texts telling you what punishment was given to according to the mistake the soldiers had done ! And finally, I think the music is absolutely awesome...

In Biolab, you feel the craziness ! It's definitely a lot of fun, colourful creatures; funny voices, weird mechanisms and explosive chemistry experiments, with also a truly excellent music !

I don't have time now to make a more complete review, but really Zen, thank you for making such amazing tables ! Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Agents, Speed Machine frustrates me, Extreme is too low scoring for the time put it to get over 10m points (no motivation to play it to improve my superscore) and I'm not keen on Buccaneer at all.

Agents 8/10
    Speed Machine 6.5/10
    Extreme 7/10
    Buccaneer 5.5/10

The newer tables are of a far higher standard IMO.

Shit, I should really read the original post properly before I wade in with my size 10s. Yeah, the new tables are great. lol

There aren't really any bad FX2 core tables (all are well made), but yes... I struggle to find much love for ROME. For me, Rome is almost the Xtreme of the FX1 core pack

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Canuck View Post
    There aren't really any bad FX2 core tables (all are well made), but yes... I struggle to find much love for ROME. For me, Rome is almost the Xtreme of the FX1 core pack
    I must be a sucker for punishment because for some or other reason I decided to first tackle Rome when I got the game and for even a stranger reason which I can't really explain I persisted with the table even though there were certain things that absolute drove me crazy because I just could not get it right (side shot into janus head, western mission). Eventually all this craziness absolutely paid off because now I just love playing it. Moved onto different fx 2 tables now and have mastered Pasha to a certain extent and are busy with Biolab.

Absolutely love Pasha even though I sometimes get super frustrated with the guards mini game, I feel it features way too much and there is only one level of interaction. Initially I could also not get the magnet game right but as many others have explained once you get it you GET it.... so no more fuss...

Biolab is very nice and there is so much happening on the table. I have a few frustrations though that is not really helping me to enjoy it that much yet. For one I struggle to shoot on cue the mutation hole and the hole even further to the right as well as the lower left loop. I also really struggle with the super short time periods that you get for some of the missions eg the flux wheel (also struggle with hitting the orbit to the right). But... as with Rome if I am going to persist, I am sure that I will eventually enjoy it to the fullest.

Haven't played Secrets of the Deep much, but it looks very nice and I am sure I will enjoy the challenge especially as Blue explained in a guide for the Wizard mode that it is a multi ball table. I am not that good with the multi-ball juggling yet so that is why I left this table for last.

Anyways, my reply is getting a bit long but just want to end off saying that my best compliment I can give ZEN for pinball fx 2 is that since I have started playing it I have only played one other game consistently (F1 2010) and with my amount of fx 2 game time being much more.

I will rank them on Fun and challenging

Fun

1. Pesha
    2. Bio Lab
    3. Rome
    4. Secrets of the Deep

Challenging

1. Rome
    2. Secrets of the Deep
    3. Pesha
    4. Bio Lab

I quite like rome. The only problem I have is that the romulus multiball is too high scoring in comparison to the rest of the table. It's definitely the table for the seasoned player though.

I've still not reached the wizard mode on the table but that's the ultimate goal and I'd rather be challenged than play a pedestrian game.

Everyone hates x-treme which I find odd as I loved the entire core pack from fx 1. I must have done because I bought an xbox just to play it on. I think part of people's psychology with pinball is that they like big scores. It's daft because scoring 1million and scoring 100,000 should only be relative to the generosity of the table yet somehow seeing 1million always feels more satisfying.

I remember playing pinball dreams years back and finding that I was drawn to the nightmare table because it was highest scoring yet ignition was a low scoring table which required much more accuracy. As I got better at the tables my attention went to ignition.

Still, the new tables do feel to be more busy by comparison and busy pinball is usually good pinball. Personally I'm hooked on wolverine at the moment. I hope the next table is based loosely on terminator 2 layout wise. That would definitely make my day

Theres a voice in SOTD. He talks alot. Has a bit of a pirate accsent. I do not feel alone on that table. I feel like I'm trapped in a sub with a pirate. The aquatic sounds are definatly great.

Rome is my favorite, launching flaming balls into the galley is super satisfying "Sink those skurvey dogs".

Pasha is my least fav as the missions are kind of nuts, that magnet thing kills me. Also the palace shot IMO is annoying.

Biolab is good clean fun, no qualms.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic_FTW View Post
    Theres a voice in SOTD. He talks alot. Has a bit of a pirate accsent. I do not feel alone on that table. I feel like I'm trapped in a sub with a pirate. The aquatic sounds are definatly great.

Rome is my favorite, launching flaming balls into the galley is super satisfying "Sink those skurvey dogs".

Pasha is my least fav as the missions are kind of nuts, that magnet thing kills me. Also the palace shot IMO is annoying.

Biolab is good clean fun, no qualms.
    Yeah, it's the shark that is talking. Very amusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
    Yeah, it's the shark that is talking. Very amusing!
    LOL !!!! I never noticed that the shark's mouth was moving when the voice was speaking, LOL !!!!!