Thread: Wolverine Table Tips

Arrow Wolverine Table Tips

I'm no pinball expert, but here are a few things that helped me a lot as a beginner:

Wolverine Table Dangers: You'll probably find that the biggest table problems are the left side drain and the sabretooth carousel. Left side drain can end the fun pretty quickly once you've got a good mission going, and often the ball drops Straight Down the Middle from sabretooth carousel, so be prepared for a good bump.

Beginner Strategies:

View: A lot of people prefer views 1 or 6. Six is really good because it doesn't cause the view to transition when you move to multi-ball. However, I prefer 5 because you can always see your flippers, but the table zooms a bit as the ball comes in the bottom field. It helps force you to focus on the ball rather than the rest of the field, especially when things get quick, without sacrificing any visibility or causing any flipper surprises. Plus there's nothing obscured in this view that would be easier with the full overhead.

Staying Alive: First and foremost is to take care of the left side drain problem. On the picture of Daken on the table you'll notice he has two tattoos. Just to the right of each tattoo is a yellow bumper, either will light up the corresponding tattoo, and hit them both to activate the left drain kickback. I always aim for this first.

Finish the "Heal" drain letters to activate the right hand drain "regenerate" option. This isn't too hard, just make sure when a ball is coming down the Bond or Fastball ramps that you use the flippers to shuffle over an unlighted letter to the drain the ball will hit. If you successfully save a ball using "regen", the "Extra Ball" will light on the amnesia saucer, hit it for the extra ball (I'm not 100% that "Extra Ball" is always lit after "regen", but I think so).

Finally to light the center clawsave, hit the left side "snikt" saucer five times to light it (I've also achieved this randomly through the sabretooth carousel in "amnesia" mode).

Saucers:
    This table is really big on saucers. You have to use the saucers to light the Silver Samurai multi-ball, it helps with points early on the Sentinel fight, you have to use both saucers for the Admantium multi-ball, and you have to repeatedly hit saucers for the sabretooth battle. The top "amnesia" saucer can be hit with the left flipper somewhat consistently with practice, and if you miss you'll still probably end up in the Sentinel bumpers for a score multiplier. Be careful of a returning ball from the "Amnesia" saucer, it comes quickly. Best way not to mess it up is to not move either flipper, let it bounce off your left flipper and it will always bounce over to the right hand flipper for a safe and easy ball catch.
    The left "Snikt" saucer is a little more difficult, but can be hit with a late flip from the right hand flipper.

Other than the saucers, its mostly a matter of hitting the ramps at will. The Silver Samurai ramp is a little more difficult, but makes a good target for practice. I usually aim for that one, since you have to do a lot of work there to activate the Silver Samurai, and his ball captures carry over from one ball to the next.

Other than that good luck, its my favorite table so far because the ruleset is fairly simple, and you don't seem to end up with a lot of cheap lost balls. Let me know if anyone has anything else that would help (or anything easier).

Sorry for the double post, couldn't get the 'edit' to work. Turns out I was wrong about a successful 'regen' lighting the 'extra ball' on the 'amnesia' saucer.

I'd like to add that unless I have a kickback, regeneration, or claw save activated I always try to avoid the hand stage. The most points you can get with the hand is 1M if you complete it really fast, and I find most of the time it will drain the ball when hitting the hands because you don't have any control where the ball is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Bonus View Post
    I find most of the time it will drain the ball when hitting the hands because you don't have any control where the ball is going.
    I wouldn't say this.. My current strategy (may not be the best one) with the three ninjas is this:

When launching the ball from the left plunger: don't give full power, but a little less. That way the ball may go a little slower improving your chances.

Drop the ball on the middle ninja. The bounce shouldn't cause a drain, depending on your luck..

Deal with the remaining ninjas with the flipper on the same side (meaning left ninja with the left flipper). Hold the ball, let the flipper down and let the ball come down the flipper just a little bit. Then hit the flipper. The ball should go pretty much straight up hitting the same side ninja neat and cleanly and not draining.

Feel free to improve..

Quote Originally Posted by MAT View Post
    I wouldn't say this.. My current strategy (may not be the best one) with the three ninjas is this:

When launching the ball from the left plunger: don't give full power, but a little less. That way the ball may go a little slower improving your chances.

Drop the ball on the middle ninja. The bounce shouldn't cause a drain, depending on your luck..

Deal with the remaining ninjas with the flipper on the same side (meaning left ninja with the left flipper). Hold the ball, let the flipper down and let the ball come down the flipper just a little bit. Then hit the flipper. The ball should go pretty much straight up hitting the same side ninja neat and cleanly and not draining.

Feel free to improve..
    My high score on Wolverine is 269,355,800M and I never used the hand ninja the entire game, to each is own I guess. The only time I go to it now is for small multi-player games with a 5 to 10M threshold.

Angry Left Drain Woes

The Wolverine table has a nasty habit of sending the ball over the edges of the tables even when the ball appears to be crawling along. That said, the largest problem is the left drain, which always seems to rear its ugly head. Is there a method to nudging that I'm too afraid to try? Sometimes it seems like the ball will come back table-side with a nudge, but I've never tried. Is that something that can be controlled like that, or is that a table flaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly_MAC View Post
    Is there a method to nudging that I'm too afraid to try? Sometimes it seems like the ball will come back table-side with a nudge, but I've never tried. Is that something that can be controlled like that, or is that a table flaw?
    Sometimes a right nudge can change the projectory.

A death save is possible, but it's not always foolproof.

The best way is to light up the left kickback by hitting the two targets on the ride side (next to the right orbit).

Default wow

Thank you for this article. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this post into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases.Thanks!+

Last edited by khemchicken; 01-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Default DEATH SAVE vs BANG BACK ?????

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Sometimes a right nudge can change the projectory.

A death save is possible, but it's not always foolproof.

The best way is to light up the left kickback by hitting the two targets on the ride side (next to the right orbit).
    can we have a consensus on what a death save actually is: when i first heard the term I thought the same as you, however i have been schooled by some hardcore pinball fanatics saying that move is actually a 'bang back'. A death save is when it coming diagonally down the middle and you raise the flipper to let it hit the backboard (terminology?) and bump it back up to the other filpper. ie. A really late right flipper hit in THOR will cause it to do the mini loop by the top left flipper and come screaming back to drain, you can raise the right flipper and attempt a death save there.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve or die View Post
    can we have a consensus on what a death save actually is: when i first heard the term I thought the same as you, however i have been schooled by some hardcore pinball fanatics saying that move is actually a 'bang back'. A death save is when it coming diagonally down the middle and you raise the flipper to let it hit the backboard (terminology?) and bump it back up to the other filpper. ie. A really late right flipper hit in THOR will cause it to do the mini loop by the top left flipper and come screaming back to drain, you can raise the right flipper and attempt a death save there.
    Terminology between hardcore pinball players and Zen pinball players are different.

A Death Save around here means that the ball drained, but you were able to save it some how. It covers a much wider range than just the traditional "bang back".

We are not too technical around here with terminology, since there are a lot of casual players.
    Last edited by shogun00; 01-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Cool

I must try this save, new to me. May lead to higher scores. Nice weekly high score shogun00 on MoonKnight. I just got 159m. I guess the extra balls help but ive only ever got two in one game on MK.

Quote Originally Posted by s-carnegie View Post
    I must try this save, new to me. May lead to higher scores. Nice weekly high score shogun00 on MoonKnight. I just got 159m. I guess the extra balls help but ive only ever got two in one game on MK.
    I took advantage of the extra balls (2 per ball count; 6 in all) and completed the Wizard Mode twice. Too bad that I couldn't do it a third time (was very close).

I'm number 8 on the overall leader board, which really surprised me.

Default TABLE TIPS part2

ARCH did an excellent job with the opening post, here are a few more that cover the spread that I found helpful. : ) Got to 119 Million using these:

1. Fastball: Shooting the ball up the right ramp at least 5 times unlocks this. During Fastball, each fast shot through a ramp or a loop equals 1 million points, while an average one equals a half-million.

2. Sentinel: Shoot the ball via the upper flipper to unlock a battle with the Sentinel. Keep shooting the ball at the Sentinel bumpers, until you gain enough points for the Sentinel to "find you." There are two saucers you can shoot to raise the score of each shot; the left saucer is the easier of the two. Shoot the ball according to the lighted arrows. Once you get 6 shots, you'll get rewarded 5 million points, and the bumpers where the Sentinel is located will count for 1 million points for each bump.

3. Sabretooth: Shoot the ball toward the wheel; knock off the doors first, then let the ball bump inside the wheel. To increase the speed multipliers on Sabretooth's calendar, hit the bumpers on each side of the wheel's doors. Once you pass time on the wheel, you'll get in a fight with Sabretooth. Just like the Sentinel, shoot the ball in either saucer. Once you do that, a ramp will pop up -- shoot the ball through it. The ball has to hit the bumpers in the wheel in order to do damage to Sabretooth; if you're lucky, you can get the ball to do a roll around the wheel, which will end the fight immediately. Once the fight is over, you'll get rewarded 5 million points, and the bumpers in the wheel will count for 1 million points for each bump.

4. Bonus Multipliers: Keep shooting towards the Sentinel area, and they'll increase until you max it out. The benefits of this are the amount of points you'll get when the ball falls through (the maximum is 10 million) and maxing out the multipliers brings an Extra Ball.

5. RAGE: Shoot the ball on both ramps alternately to maintain a RAGE combo. To unlock RAGE, shoot the ball through the right ramp on a Super Combo. Once in RAGE, keep shooting the ball on loops, ramps, and saucers (each worth 500,000 points) until you get 5 million.

Easy ways to stay alive:

1a. Regeneration: Get the H-E-A-L letters to light up to unlock regeneration. To enable regeneration mode, have the ball go through the lower-right hole of the table (don't do it deliberately, of course.) During regeneration, you need to shoot the ball through either of the ramps leading to the Weapon X tank. The better ramp to choose is the one you can reach with the upper flipper, because you will always get an extra ball lit up.

1b. Extra Ball: Self-explanatory, but all you need to know is that you always have to shoot the ball at the top saucer, which is the more difficult saucer to reach, in my opinion.

2. SNIKT: Shooting the ball at the SNIKT saucer 5 times unlocks the Claw Save.

3. Kickbacks: It's only for the left side of the table, but they're easy to get and also stack. Shoot the ball at the middle-right hand side of the table.

Miscellaneous:

-Choose the best view for yourself so you can be aware of what's going on. I use View 5, because it zooms, not pans.

-Locks on this table are useless.

-Adamantium balls are easy to get, but the tasks associated with them are hard to complete. I would avoid this, since the camera pans out way too far to get a sense of what's going on.

-The left saucer can be easily shot at by shoot the ball at the very edge of the flipper.

-Pretend the pathways to the upper saucer and the middle ramp (that little space on the left side of the wheel) are mirror images of each other.

-Okay, I sort of lied. Battling Sabretooth is not easy. If you want the fast millions, use the Sentinel or RAGE methods.

-You can't prolong your game time by getting your ball stuck. The game's going to give you a new ball anyway.

-Keeping your ball still when your flipper's bent is NOT cheating. Shut up. It's not.

-Don't be discouraged if you can't get the ball up ramps or loops. Practice makes perfect.

So, do these things, get a high score, and so on...

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Some excellent stuff here thanks for the posts.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

trying to activate the kick back on Wolverine things should get better when i can get it more successfully

9. Kickback Drop Down Targets in ShoryukenToTheChin guide
    the second/bottom Target is a pain to hit is there any tactics to getting it easily the top one is really easy to hit the bottom seems like only luck will get it

i think hitting the top one three times would have been a better choice but that's just me

Default EOB bonus guide

Multipliers are raised by hitting the bumpers. An extra ball can be obtained after surpassing 10x. Also, if you collect the extra ball while at 10x, the multipliers will be held.

Bonus
    50,000 points per ball if no other bonuses are collected.
    Default bonus.

Progress bonus
    500,000 points per mission completed per game.
    I believe this includes the Last Page wizard mode. It does not allow count duplicate missions until the Last Page is completed.

Healing Factor bonus
    50,000 points per ball saved via the right kickback through the Weapon X tank

Ninja dumpers bonus
    50,000 points per ninja hit from the zip line per ball

Scrap Iron bonus
    50,000 points per Sentinel defeated per ball

Brawler bonus
    50,000 points per victory over Sabretooth per ball

Multiball bonus
    50,000 points per activation of Silver Samurai multiball per ball

Fastball bonus
    50,000 points per Fastball Special mode started

Adamantium bonus
    50,000 points per successful bonding during Adamantium multiball

I wasn't able to activate the Rage mode. I guess is if there is a bonus, it would be 50,000 points.

Summary - This one is fairly obvious. Since hitting the bumpers activates the decent scoring Sentinel mission, leads to an extra ball, and is rather safe, you should make it a high priority. As for the scoring, it's pretty mundane, except for the Progress bonus if you are doing well.
    Last edited by OriginalEther; 08-05-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

Here are my tips.

1) master that left saucer! light the claw save ASAP. every time it's unlit, relight it. DO not fear that sauce,r it's jsut not that dangerous.

2) after you light the claw save, you can play for real. I suggest the following order for the modes.

a) THe Hand, if only because you will get frustrated if it's the last one left.
    b) steel samurai multiball
    c) sentinel
    d) sabertooth.

sentinel may start before steel samurai multiball, despite your best efforts. The reason you don't do multiball last is because it will ALWAYS eat your claw save, and then you won't be able to relight it before starting The last Page.

Always play out sentinel. The million pop bumpers afterwards score very well, and it puts off the next time you need to start it, and helps you get your bonusx extra ball.

Modes have priorities. Sentinel locks out nearly everything else, but Sabertooth can interrupt sentinel.

Learn all three ramp shots. they are all very important.

Learn the saucers. they are hard shots, especially the right one, but you need to master them for adamantite multiball, which is how you get a decent score out of the wizard mode.

The victory lap for sabertooth mode scores pretty well too, but it's much riskier to shoot for than the bumpers.