Thread: Moments of extreme frustration!

Default Moments of extreme frustration!

I love this game to bits but there are times when it makes me want to throw things at the TV. I just posted a score of 50M+ on Ironman but it could have been so much better. I got 31M with my first ball (which beat my personal best), then a rubbish second ball that didn't even score 1M. I was doing well with my last ball, I had 5 of the missions completed and the showdown with Ultimo in sight for the first time ever. Then, disaster, I completed an achievement which paused the game just as the ball was halfway down the bottom left flipper. When the game re-started the ball went straight down the hole as I never reacted in time. Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggh!!

I realise this was because of my reflexive shortcomings but still...soooooo frustrating. There are also one or two tables where hitting a ramp or orbit is rewarded with the ball coming straight down the middle and being lost. What's up with that? I rarely use the nudge/tilt function as I don't seem to be able to react in time when I realise the ball is heading straight down the middle. That's why I'm not that keen on the Blade table.

This is just a minor complaint though. Awesome game! Feel free to add your own pinball horror stories. It would be nice to know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn74 View Post
    I love this game to bits but there are times when it makes me want to throw things at the TV. I just posted a score of 50M+ on Ironman but it could have been so much better. I got 31M with my first ball (which beat my personal best), then a rubbish second ball that didn't even score 1M. I was doing well with my last ball, I had 5 of the missions completed and the showdown with Ultimo in sight for the first time ever. Then, disaster, I completed an achievement which paused the game just as the ball was halfway down the bottom left flipper. When the game re-started the ball went straight down the hole as I never reacted in time. Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggh!!

I realise this was because of my reflexive shortcomings but still...soooooo frustrating. There are also one or two tables where hitting a ramp or orbit is rewarded with the ball coming straight down the middle and being lost. What's up with that? I rarely use the nudge/tilt function as I don't seem to be able to react in time when I realise the ball is heading straight down the middle. That's why I'm not that keen on the Blade table.

This is just a minor complaint though. Awesome game! Feel free to add your own pinball horror stories. It would be nice to know I'm not alone.
    Yeah, certain tables just punish you for doing the right thing the wrong way (wolverine, *cough*, ahem.. hand ninja drain, *cough*..) This is consistant though with actual pinball machines. Be thankfull Zen diddnt adapt the "realistic" space between the flippers or out lane sizes. If your going for a high score I highly reccomend disabling all warnings/notifications. They just get in the way, and the added pressure of knowing you're close to getting a top score will rarley improve your game. If your just practicing, getting used to a table, then they're great fun.

Pinball can be tense, and it's easy to lose yourself in a game (part of the appeal right?), so sudden mistakes can be quite frustrating, like lighting a firecracker behind a meditating monk. I find i do the best when i'm calm, and not so absorbed, when i'm just having nonchalant fun. Thats the mental state i've been in when I've gotton all my best scores. Somtimes it's best to just pause for a minute, get up, take a breath, remind yourself its just a game and you have infinite trys. Pinball is about quick descisions and fast reflexs, both are impared by anger/stress. Zen pinball...really the way to go...pun intended.

I've had several moments of extreme frustration. I was playing Excalibur today and had 35M on my second ball. I hit an orbit that dropped the ball into King Arthur's Round Table on the left side of the table. It spun a half turn and deposited the ball straight in the outlane. I launched my final ball, and it went straight down the center drain. Thankfully, the ball save was activated because I'd just launched the ball...so the table automatically launches the ball, it whips around the table, and right down the center drain again. I went through three balls in under 10 seconds of table time. It was unbelievable. The controller was so close to disintegration, I don't know how it survived. LOL

Yeah one thing this game has done brilliantly is capturing this side of pinball Its always been a frustratingly difficult game and thats why mastering it is so rewarding.

I have played my fair share of what people would call "frustratingly difficult" games (ie Trials HD, Geometry Wars 2) but always manage to remain calm in those games and while I never "rage" I can feel the anger building a times when playing Pinball. I shake my head in disbelief at times and just get up and go outside. I have also let the odd loud "F@#K!!!!" come out at times.

Where this differs from the games I mentioned, well imo anyway, is that games like Trials and Geo Wars at least give you the feeling that you are constantly getting better even when you are failing. This game sometimes you just can't seem to do anything no matter how hard you try, whereas with Trials once your good at it even on your bad days its not like you completely forget how to play, which is how pinball seems at times.

Also another frustrating factor is the time it can take. You can take your time get everything set-up, basically get all the hard stuff out of the way then BAM you miss a simple shot and watch your ball go sailing through the centre of your flippers. Ah sooo frustrating

Luckily they do not have Kenict support for PBFX2 otherwise there would be 100 'the ball just drained' pictures of me flipping off the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by OzV1 View Post
    I have played my fair share of what people would call "frustratingly difficult" games (ie Trials HD, Geometry Wars 2) but always manage to remain calm in those games and while I never "rage" I can feel the anger building a times when playing Pinball. I shake my head in disbelief at times and just get up and go outside. I have also let the odd loud "F@#K!!!!" come out at times..
    Yup.

For the most part, success in Geometry Wars 2 is due to the skill of the player. When you lose, you generally feel it's because you stuffed up. You know you could have done better. Just one more game...

But in pinball, there's nothing -- beyond lenient ball save rules -- to stop you draining right down the guts, three times in a row. For better or worse (mostly worse), a huge part of pinball is simply pure luck.

I think the art of good pinball design is the mitigation of the "luck" aspect. Tables feel cheap when events routinely happen that are completely out of the control of the player, and the table doesn't compensate for them.

e.g. the nasty left outlane on Wolverine, the mid-ramp-to-right-outlane on Earth Defense, the brutally unfair slingshots on R&B and Speed Machine.

On a table like Spiderman or Secrets of the Deep I usually think that it was my fault the game ended. Annoying, but that's OK. But on a table like Wolverine, I often feel it's the fault of the table, leading to frustration and potty-mouthing.

p.s. Geometry Wars 2 is a must-have title for 360 owners. You need to buy this game. Only 400 spacebux this week...

I can't remember any single moment of frustration (too many, too often I guess). But generally, one frustrating thing is that I always forget how to play a table well. If I decide to better my score in a table I haven't played for a while it's pretty much impossible to beat my high score or even come close to it (even getting in the local top ten!). I kind of need to learn the table again. And I don't mean the table rules, but the timings, reflexes and how to keep the ball from draining. I think it's subconscious. But so is riding a bike, and you never forget that.. pinball must be much harder.

KickBeaten Down

I agree that some games can be frustrating. I think that part of the frustration stems from the fact that you either beat your high score, or you get nothing...and your high score gets harder and harder to beat over time.

We're going to be changing things to make each game more rewarding even if you don't beat your high score.

Default Frustrations

So far for me all my frustrations are of my own making eg reading the notifications when i could simply turn them off, reading the dot matrix screen but not knowing which part of the table they refer to....duh!!

There's one thing on the Excalibur table that is just eating me alive right now, and the number of expletives I've screamed are mounting with each additional occurrence. Everytime I nail that shot with the top left flipper that builds towards Merlin's multiball, the table auto launches the next ball. Like clockwork, this thing sails around the outer orbit, comes down the left side of the table, and rifles of the GD MF left slingshot right down the drain. No degree of nudging the table has altered this outcome. Just typing this makes me mad. LOL I don't even know why I bother locking the ball when immediately thereafter the table orchestrates a ball drain. Even when the ball saver is activated, the drain is followed by this ridiculous sequence of events that results in two drains back to back in a matter of seconds. There has GOT to be a reliable way to prevent this event from taking place.

Who knows what it is? C'mon. Fork it over.

How come when has you get close to beating an high score ( yours or a friends) then shots that you could normaly hit a million times become next to impossible.. case in point that blasted middle ramp on wolvorine when your battling the sentinal

Turn left at the Big Chicken and go 15 miles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thebigchicken.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I agree that some games can be frustrating. I think that part of the frustration stems from the fact that you either beat your high score, or you get nothing...and your high score gets harder and harder to beat over time.

We're going to be changing things to make each game more rewarding even if you don't beat your high score.
    I'm glad to hear that and am very interested, to be sure. While it's true that high scores are the main motivational component I have found that even if I'm stinking it up on a particular table that all is not lost because sometimes I can be more daring and take risks that I normally wouldn't take and in doing so can earn achievements that I had not already earned.

Amazingly enough, probably 20% or more of my achievements were earned during games that I wound up with a craptastically low score.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyToxic View Post
    I'm glad to hear that and am very interested, to be sure. While it's true that high scores are the main motivational component I have found that even if I'm stinking it up on a particular table that all is not lost because sometimes I can be more daring and take risks that I normally wouldn't take and in doing so can earn achievements that I had not already earned.

Amazingly enough, probably 20% or more of my achievements were earned during games that I wound up with a craptastically low score.
    Hmm thats a good idea to turn a crap game into an achievement hunt

Turn left at the Big Chicken and go 15 miles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Thebigchicken.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    How come when has you get close to beating an high score ( yours or a friends) then shots that you could normaly hit a million times become next to impossible.. case in point that blasted middle ramp on wolvorine when your battling the sentinal
    And did you ever notice how when it seems like you've been shafted and the ball drains while attempting a shot that you can normally make with both eyes closed, that almost always on the following ball launch you hit the "Skill Shot" even if you haven't hit a Skill Shot on that table all day? Obviously, this is just a coincidence as there is no way anything like that would ever be written into the code but it sure does seem to happen that way quite a bit for me.

Every time this happens to me I just say to myself, "See, that proves it, you were just shafted on that last shot."

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    Hmm thats a good idea to turn a crap game into an achievement hunt
    Well, I really don't care much for achievements - its like Monopoly Money. So, all I ask is if extra achievements are built in, an option should also be build in so that the achievements can happen silently/in the background because once you achieve one it pops up on the screen, take over all control and then when the game continues, you usually loose your ball because of the distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    Well, I really don't care much for achievements - its like Monopoly Money. So, all I ask is if extra achievements are built in, an option should also be build in so that the achievements can happen silently/in the background because once you achieve one it pops up on the screen, take over all control and then when the game continues, you usually loose your ball because of the distraction.
    Im not that much into achievements myself in fact i dont even play xbox a great deal normaly, but been putting a lot more time in on it thanks to pbfx,my gamer score is only around 3000.

ROME!
    the right ramp is just awfull..

Quote Originally Posted by jop87 View Post
    ROME!
    the right ramp is just awfull..

Its just... fussy. I can backhand that bad boy all day.

Iron Man...Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I put tons of time into this table over the weekend checking info for the table guide I was putting together and wow, I caught myself almost throwing fits on some of the drains. This table requires so much patience and playing back to back games does not assist in that. My personal goal was to break 100m on it this weekend, never happened, and even with the new bouncy bumpers I have never gotten more than one extra ball per game.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Iron Man...Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I put tons of time into this table over the weekend checking info for the table guide I was putting together and wow, I caught myself almost throwing fits on some of the drains. This table requires so much patience and playing back to back games does not assist in that. My personal goal was to break 100m on it this weekend, never happened, and even with the new bouncy bumpers I have never gotten more than one extra ball per game.
    Yeah when I first started playing this game alot, this was the table I played the most, so I know what you mean. Patience and low risk play is definitely the key to the table, which can be very tedious.

When I look at my stats for the table and see my 0 and 37 record against Ultimo, a part of me dies. I cannot beat him for the life of me and massive kudos to anyone who has, so I have left this table for a while because of too many "moments or extreme frustration".

I swear they put magnets into the table to make you lose... oh wait... this is video pinball...

*ahem*

I swear they program random magnets into the script to make the ball drain at the very moment you have completed a table.

It doesn't matter what the table; as soon as everything is set up for some big scoring swings; that ball is ready to drain and will without question.

I had an amazing (for me) game on Spider man the other day. Everything was lit on the table; I mean everything. All the left shot letters, both kickers, full multiplyer and all missions complete.

I start the mode before clone chaos and think *I am going to do some safe farming*...

safe shot for the goblin ramp; ballmisses and hits the corner, bounces into the kicker, gets kicked back and DIRECTLY drains down the center...

Thanks Zen... thanks for that... xD

Yeah when I first started playing [Iron Man] alot, this was the table I played the most, so I know what you mean. Patience and low risk play is definitely the key to the table, which can be very tedious.
    I play this table methodically, too. You pretty much have to, since the central mission target bank and the ball lock are designed to drain your ball.

I don't do anything until I've lit THR-UST, by spamming the left ramp. Fortunately, it's a very easy shot.

The ball saver isn't worth trying for (it's only for 10 seconds), but when it's up it's useful for safely pinging away at the mission bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I play this table methodically, too. You pretty much have to, since the central mission target bank and the ball lock are designed to drain your ball.

I don't do anything until I've lit THR-UST, by spamming the left ramp. Fortunately, it's a very easy shot.

The ball saver isn't worth trying for (it's only for 10 seconds), but when it's up it's useful for safely pinging away at the mission bank.
    Yeah the only time I would go for the ball lock targets was when the ball saver was up. Its something you don't really try for, as it normally comes as a result of missed ramp shots but can come in handy. This also takes alot of discipline. After playing a table like Wolverine which is alot more of a greater risk, greater reward table, its hard for me to go back to Ironman. Its a great table, don't get me wrong but everything feels so epic on Wolverine and all happens in good time and doesn't feel like a grind, like Ironman does to me now.

Yeah the only time I would go for the ball lock targets was when the ball saver was up. Its something you don't really try for, as it normally comes as a result of missed ramp shots but can come in handy. This also takes alot of discipline. After playing a table like Wolverine which is alot more of a greater risk, greater reward table, its hard for me to go back to Ironman. Its a great table, don't get me wrong but everything feels so epic on Wolverine and all happens in good time and doesn't feel like a grind, like Ironman does to me now.
    I agree 100%. After beating SaberTooth and getting the "Millions Spinny Fun Time" in the saucer, or "Sentinal Red Eyes, Happy Fun Millions Bumper Ride"...Iron man just dosent do it for me.

I play zen pinball on the ps3 and hope to get an xbox for pinball fx 2. But I have to say Excalibur is a very unplayable table. The ball just keeps going out the outer lanes. And it's hard to get the kickbacks activated.
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about people looking forward to Mars and Paranormal on the xbox. Playing it on PS3 and I get so bored of Mars. Such a slow feeling in progressing and nothing really much happening.
    Paranormal has just the one ramp, really. And it's clustered in the main area of the table where nothing happens. Getting it up into the haunted house part, that doesn't last long up there.
    And us PS3 users have to make do with exclusives like Shaman, Tesla and V12 which play horrible. I like El Dorado, though, lovely table to play, fun and exciting. I scored 408 million on that table. And my best on Excalibur is something like 16 million. That's the difference in playability.
    I'm looking forward to all the Pinball FX 2 tables, they look great and lots happening.
    You guys are not missing out on much as far as PS3 exclusives are concerned. You would love El Dorado, that's the one you xbox users need to push for.

The most frustrating thing so far for me in PFX2 has been beating Ultimo on a different account. It was a bitter sweet moment since I haven't come close to beating him again on my main xbox account.

Quote Originally Posted by celtic_illusion View Post
    I play zen pinball on the ps3 and hope to get an xbox for pinball fx 2. But I have to say Excalibur is a very unplayable table. The ball just keeps going out the outer lanes. And it's hard to get the kickbacks activated.
    I'm not sure what all the fuss is about people looking forward to Mars and Paranormal on the xbox. Playing it on PS3 and I get so bored of Mars. Such a slow feeling in progressing and nothing really much happening.
    Paranormal has just the one ramp, really. And it's clustered in the main area of the table where nothing happens. Getting it up into the haunted house part, that doesn't last long up there.
    And us PS3 users have to make do with exclusives like Shaman, Tesla and V12 which play horrible. I like El Dorado, though, lovely table to play, fun and exciting. I scored 408 million on that table. And my best on Excalibur is something like 16 million. That's the difference in playability.
    I'm looking forward to all the Pinball FX 2 tables, they look great and lots happening.
    You guys are not missing out on much as far as PS3 exclusives are concerned. You would love El Dorado, that's the one you xbox users need to push for.
    And then we have guys like me how like the tables you don't like. I like both Paranormal and Mars. I also love how Zen is making so different tables so that one gets a completely different experience on each table.
    The only thing I hate on Mars is when the space shuttle is coming as I hate things that obstruct my view.

When people are saying that they like a table and THEN talk about how many millions they got on it compared to the others it just tells everyone how much more time they spent on the table they like and has nothing to do with "difference in playability" or whatever you want to call it. There is a reason some players have good scores on all tables