Thread: Ironman question (and some tips)

Default Ironman question (and some tips)

Firstly, hi and thank you Zen for making such an awesome game. So addictive and challenging. It just feels so "right" for a pinball game.

I have been reading here for a while and its the only place where I thought I could get an answer to my question as noone seems to know.

Ironman is pretty much the only table I have played for the last couple of weeks, so I am really starting to get it down. I know everything else about the table except for one thing. What do the UNI and BEAM lights under Whiplash and Mandarin do? I light them up all the time and they have no effect on anything. I wish these were the multipliers because the only time I ever get any multiplier on this table is on the mission where I have to hit the bumpers and even then the highest I have ever got is x4. Anyway if anyone could answer this for me it would be appreciated.

I am still yet to defeat Ultimo but have been up to him 6 times. On my highscore game I almost got to him again in the same game. I will give some tips in point form as its easier to read. These tips aren't really about specific missions or anything (they are pretty self-explanitory) but general table tips.

-This table rewards patience and if you take your time with your shots you will be able to keep your ball in play for a long time. I can usually get all missions done on a single ball now and its only dumb mistakes that cost me a ball.
    -I only take the SHIELD multiball shot (ball lock) when a ball save is active. As your ball launches if your quick enough you can get 2 ball locked before you lose the save. Also with practice its actually easier to use the right flipper and use a soft backshot. Much less risk.
    -The right orbit shot is somewhat dangerous on this table mainly because a miss could hit the SHIELD ball lock target and cause a bad deflection. For this reason I never take a shot at right orbit with a fast ball. I have found the best and most consistent way is to hit left orbit and let the ball just hit the flipper while they are down. It will bounce nicely from the right onto the left but by doing this the ball has a little backspin and makes right orbit shot easier and less risky. I also only try to do this shot when I have a ball save but most of the time this is the last thing I have to do to get to Ultimo so I have found this is a good way.
    -When a ball comes out of the mission hole, it comes out in an awkward way. I always try to time it so I shoot up the TOWER ramp. I then use the top left flipper to roll the ball down onto the right flipper to trap the ball.
    -Most of the missions are untimed so take your time with them. Take the less risky shots if you can. For example on one of the missions you have to hit ramps and the ramps change after 10-15 secs. The easiest and safest shots on the table is probably the shot straight up the TOWER ramp from left flipper or left orbit. Just simply wait till these ones are available.
    -This is a no brainer really but the kickbacks are very simple to constantly keep active on this table. Before you take any shot at the mission hole lights, make sure these are active (although a deathsave can be made from right outlane) because they often deflect to the outlanes.

I had a heap more in my head and will post more as they come to me and try to answer any questions. I hope my tips aren't too basic (they would be for some I know) but these little things help me keep the ball in play for a long time.

Good tips! I agree with almost all of your pints. I recently started playing this table again after Wolverine started driving me nuts. Sorry, I have no clue about the UNI BEAM targets but I will say that you are right in that the Shield Target causes easily 50% of my drains. The lack of access to the multiplier is frustrating and I have tried various means to increase them but have never gotten them beyond 6x. I have tried soft shots, and bump/nudge up when the ball is passing over them and the Electro blast mission.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Good tips! I agree with almost all of your pints. I recently started playing this table again after Wolverine started driving me nuts. Sorry, I have no clue about the UNI BEAM targets but I will say that you are right in that the Shield Target causes easily 50% of my drains. The lack of access to the multiplier is frustrating and I have tried various means to increase them but have never gotten them beyond 6x. I have tried soft shots, and bump/nudge up when the ball is passing over them and the Electro blast mission.
    Thanks. Which points did you disagree with btw? I was the same, I started out playing heaps of Wolverine and it drives me insane now too. I can never hit anything when I need too, especially the centre ramp that leads to the Sentinel. Everything has to be done fast, unlike Ironman which I can take my time alot more.

I have also tryed everything for the multipliers, can't get it there, except for "man versus machine" mission.

I have also figured out what triggers the Ultimo glitch (where he stays out of the table and the game stops) as I got to him another 3 times since I wrote this post this morning. Still can't beat him though, its going to take me alot of retries I think as multiball really throws me off. Anyway the way to prevent the glitch from happening is by not letting your ball drain. Say you are on your 1st ball and trigger Ultimo mission. You go for a while but fail. If you fail by just ending the multiball and keep one ball in play, Ultimo will sink back into the table and you continue your game. If you fail by losing all the balls and have to launch next ball this is when Ultimo is stuck. It happened to me before and the other day too. Hope this helps some people, just make sure you stay on the ball your on and you can play on, even if it means starting all missions again.

I really enjoy the Iron Man table, and I just reached Ultimo for the first time last night. Those are some nice tips, and ones I've learned myself while playing this table.

Two other tips that I've learned:

- During the Whiplash & Mandarin mission, when you need to shoot Whiplash with the cannon, pretend you are aiming at a spot right above the actual target (assuming the cannon is moving down). For example, to hit his waist, I pretend I'm shooting for his chest.

- During the Vortex Storm mission (multiball), typically the hardest ramp to hit is the Science ramp, which requires using the upper flipper. To get this one consistently, I trap one ball on the left filpper, and the other ball(s) on the right flipper, then use the left flipper to send the ball up the Stark Tower, and left flipper again to shoot it to the Science ramp on the way down, all while holding the other ball(s) on the right flipper.

As for the UNI BEAM letters, they are a mystery to me as well. If anyone knows, please share!

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMana View Post
    - During the Vortex Storm mission (multiball), typically the hardest ramp to hit is the Science ramp, which requires using the upper flipper. To get this one consistently, I trap one ball on the left filpper, and the other ball(s) on the right flipper, then use the left flipper to send the ball up the Stark Tower, and left flipper again to shoot it to the Science ramp on the way down, all while holding the other ball(s) on the right flipper.
    I usually let a couple of balls drain while the ball save is active at the very beginning and nail the science ramp then. However, I may move over to your trick. One thing that I usually do is drain the multiball down to 2 or 3 balls before hitting the final ramp. Less balls to lock in, less chance to lose them.

As for what I disagree with on Ozv1 post, I don't tend to wait for a ball saver to take the shield multiball lock on, but that is prolly stupid on my part. I also dont like using the backhand shot on the lock.

Question - Anyone know how the score is calculated for Shield Multiball, and what the jackpots actually are? Also, on the upper field Shield, what is that score based upon? Is it speed alone? I know my scores range from 600k to 1.5 million.

I always thought the Uni Beam was an EOBB like EMPIRE in Rome??

Quote Originally Posted by PandaMana View Post
    I really enjoy the Iron Man table, and I just reached Ultimo for the first time last night. Those are some nice tips, and ones I've learned myself while playing this table.

Two other tips that I've learned:

- During the Whiplash & Mandarin mission, when you need to shoot Whiplash with the cannon, pretend you are aiming at a spot right above the actual target (assuming the cannon is moving down). For example, to hit his waist, I pretend I'm shooting for his chest.

As for the UNI BEAM letters, they are a mystery to me as well. If anyone knows, please share!
    Congrats on getting to Ultimo. I seen your score and seen you had the achievement. Be prepared for a few retries. With him being out of the table and blocking most of it, its so easy to accidentally hit a ball into him and cause an unpredictable deflection. The most I have hit him is four times but I can pretty much get up to him every other game now, so I guess it will all just "click" soon, well hopefully.

Great advice on the Vortex beam mission. This is pretty much what I do except when the balls first go into the middle and drop, the first ball that comes down gives you a perfect shot at left orbit. Then I go for Stock market or Party ramp. When the save starts to flash and go off I deliberately let 2 balls drain and work on getting a ball on each flipper. From there I do pretty much the same as you as the Tower ramp shot from left flipper is easy and the time it takes in the spiral tube gives you that extra time to take any shots you still need to hit...I would say the mission that gives me the most trouble now is the Mandarin Flame blast. Sometimes I just can't hit those small little targets and taking a shot at them often causes outlane drains, so if I have uses a kickback just prior, this mission can sometimes cost me a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic_FTW View Post
    I always thought the Uni Beam was an EOBB like EMPIRE in Rome??
    I am Not familiar with the term EOBB. Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by OzV1 View Post
    Congrats on getting to Ultimo. I seen your score and seen you had the achievement. Be prepared for a few retries. With him being out of the table and blocking most of it, its so easy to accidentally hit a ball into him and cause an unpredictable deflection. The most I have hit him is four times but I can pretty much get up to him every other game now, so I guess it will all just "click" soon, well hopefully.

Great advice on the Vortex beam mission. This is pretty much what I do except when the balls first go into the middle and drop, the first ball that comes down gives you a perfect shot at left orbit. Then I go for Stock market or Party ramp. When the save starts to flash and go off I deliberately let 2 balls drain and work on getting a ball on each flipper. From there I do pretty much the same as you as the Tower ramp shot from left flipper is easy and the time it takes in the spiral tube gives you that extra time to take any shots you still need to hit...I would say the mission that gives me the most trouble now is the Mandarin Flame blast. Sometimes I just can't hit those small little targets and taking a shot at them often causes outlane drains, so if I have uses a kickback just prior, this mission can sometimes cost me a ball.
    Thanks. Yeah, I think it'll still be a while before I can actually beat Ultimo. Despite having gotten to him once now, I can't do it consistently yet. But Iron Man never gives up!

I have the same problem with the Flame Blast mission. It's gotten to the point that if I don't have the right kickback active when that mission happens to start, I'll just hold the ball and let the mission time out, rather than risk a bad bounce into the outlane.

I read a thread on xbox.com pretty much saying that the UNI and BEAM lights are for end of ball bonus only. It makes sense but I still think these could have been used for multipliers. Something like "light all UNI BEAM letters" or even better some way to get an extra ball. The way it is now I don't even consider going for an extra ball.

Also does anyone have any tips for defeating Ultimo. I try to approach it like any multiball (only keep 2 balls) so I can have some control but the way he blocks the table makes it so tough to hit anything accurately. I know this is the purpose but I have had at least 15 shots at him now and majority of the time it ends up with me bombing it very quickly.Soooo frustrating. Anyway any advice would be appreciated if you are doing something different to me. I looked at all the players around my score and the all had Ultimo acheivement so maybe I am doing something wrong.

I am Not familiar with the term EOBB. Could you elaborate?
    End Of Ball Bonus. Sorry I do that with the assumptions every one knows what I'm talking about. Also in Rome there are EMPIRE lights in a similar spots on the table that do the same thing. For each succsessive time you light ALL of them you get a EoBB that is multiplied by your multiplier. Also if you diddnt know the "Multiplier" normally ONLY multiplies your EoBB's not regular shots or missions on the table. Bonus' like the hand of Jupiter (in Rome) do though.

I usually let a couple of balls drain while the ball save is active at the very beginning and nail the science ramp then. However, I may move over to your trick. One thing that I usually do is drain the multiball down to 2 or 3 balls before hitting the final ramp. Less balls to lock in, less chance to lose them.

As for what I disagree with on Ozv1 post, I don't tend to wait for a ball saver to take the shield multiball lock on, but that is prolly stupid on my part. I also dont like using the backhand shot on the lock.

Question - Anyone know how the score is calculated for Shield Multiball, and what the jackpots actually are? Also, on the upper field Shield, what is that score based upon? Is it speed alone? I know my scores range from 600k to 1.5 million.
    As far as I can tell yes, its based solely on speed.

For the multiball lock, I do a soft backhander from the right flipper. (I give the static ball a small amount of roll, then tap.) It's a pretty safe shot, with a failure dropping back down to the flippers or the right inlanes. I've started multiball by doing nothing but backhanders. (This does get a little tedious though.)

Otherwise, my general aim is to spam the hell out of the left ramp, using it to fill up my left and right kickbacks. (It alternately diverts to the far inlane on the left, and closest inlane on the right, so you can switch the inlane lights with your flippers.) It's a very easy, safe shot from the right flipper. Worst that can happen is that you hit S or A, the left orbit, or the ball drops back down fairly slowly.

Regarding the bonus multipliers .. oi vey!. Bad design! They make the Secrets of the Deep multipliers look good. And building a time-based mission around hitting the bumpers. Arrggh. Zen, I love you, but what were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    And building a time-based mission around hitting the bumpers. Arrggh. Zen, I love you, but what were you thinking?
    This one isn't bad at all. The bumpers and the spinner on the left orbit both increase armor power. 2-3 hard shots to the left orbit is typically enough to win this mode. Alternately you can exploit the diverters that open in this mode to rack up multipliers on the right orbit. I typically fail this mission intentionally so I can repeat it over and over until I have the 10x multiplier and extra ball.
    Last edited by heathenSauce; 03-03-2011 at 02:16 PM.

@ heathenSauce

Oh, I see! I was wondering how anyone could get x10, let alone an extra ball, on this table. (Oddly, the in-game instructions tell you how to get an extra -- by getting x10 first -- but not how to get multipliers themselves.)

I didn't even know there was a diverter there.

Do you know what those three rollovers at the back do? The ones with blue lights, hidden way back at the rear of the table.

Also, does anyone know how much UNI-BEAM is worth as the EOBB? They seem like very dangerous targets to go for deliberately, so they'd want to be worth it.

Thanks for the help.

@Womble

If you mean the rollovers above the bumpers, completing the 3 rollover targets advances the multiplier, and once advanced to 10x award the extra ball.

I don't know the exact scoring for the EOB bonus for UNIBEAM, since it's been a while since I've played this table, but if memory serves, it's an exponential growth. The first isn't worth much to write home about, but the more times you complete the target banks in 1 ball, the points increase significantly for each one. Combined with the multiplier, it can be worth quite a lot. Considering the shot investment to complete the UNIBEAM bank multiple times plus collecting the multipliers, I'm not entirely sure it's worth going for however. It may be worth exploring at some point though.