Thread: Arcade Stick Mod

Default Arcade Stick Mod

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. Just got tired of using the controller and decided to mod my already modded HRAP3 EX SE. Since the LB and RB have button plugs, the wires were already taped down. I came up with an idea: Considering the slope of the arcade stick and the overall size of it, it would be perfect for a machine-like button layout. So, I routed out 2 30mm holes on both sides, placed the buttons in, added quick disconnects to two wires, drilled a wire path, and then attached them to the LB and RB accordingly. Note: I know the electrical tape job isn't pretty but it works.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Pinball%20Mod/

I really think it's improved my game in a matter of seconds because I'm so used to playing real tables, I like being able to use my fingers in a different manner than a pad allows. I also like being able to stand over the table and look down. Surprisingly the way I have the monitor and stick setup, it feels absolutely incredible and adds a whole level of tactile sensation I wasn't getting otherwise. I also have medium sized hands so the mod should feel comfortable for most of you. Also, as I've played thousands of games on real tables I can say that it feels quite close to a real table in certain respects. Yes, the stick has to be used for nudges but with the actual physical force it takes to nudge a machine, hitting an arcade stick isn't that inconvenient. Let me know if you guys have any questions about it or would like help doing it yourself to any sort of arcade stick or even from the ground up!
    Last edited by the1rishway; 02-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Taking over The World, one E-bortion at a time.
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike: Yun, Ken, Hugo, Akuma
    Street Fighter II: Super Turbo: Fei Long, Ken, Ryu, Zangief, Balrog, Chun-Li
    Super Street Fighter 4: Abel, Akuma, Zangief, Balrog
    King of Fighters 2k2: Shermie, Ramon, Orochi Chris, Iori
    Guilty Gear Accent Core: Slayer
    Hokuto No Ken: Raoh stabs you in the toe and breaks your face.

Great stuff!! I love modded and home built sticks. You need to build a dedicated cab next ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqXGf15ICYo

Yeah, I really hope to do a visual pin cabinet at some point with a large screen. I've built a number of arcade sticks from the ground up, so it shouldn't be too hard to tackle. First things first, I'm replacing those two buttons with Williams/Bally leaf-switches for once again, a more realistic feel.

Funny thing, i'm preparing the exact same thing ... except it's a hrap 2 and different buttons , more pinball-ishs imo

I'll post some pics when it's done i'm actually behind schedule due to a microswitch malfunction and waiting for the delivery of the spare parts !

What bothers me though is the impossibility to make skill shots with this mod while it's not such a bigdeal on most tables , it's crucial on somes (ie biolab)

Like I said on my video, I'm personally having zero issues making skill shots. I'm so used to using an arcade stick for competitive fighters and shmups, some of which require one-frame execution. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it eventually! Also, I'm placing an order for leaf-switch based push-buttons today from www.lizardlick.com (I've used them for years, they're reliable and they ship next day.) Awesome to see that other people have thought of this! Let me know how it goes!

Also, I have a bigger older brother for my HRAP3:

Last edited by the1rishway; 02-09-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Haven't checked your vid yet, i'm at work ... but i can't figure out how to make skill shots without an analogic stick !?!? i'll def check it out tonight !

Lizardlick is great i placed order to them before, b t being in france it's very long to get the parts and the french customs coughbastardscough charge an insane amount of tax (twice what i paid for the goods actually) so now i use arcadeshop.de, german site ... everything in stock, good prices and the guy behind it is super firendly !

Anyway, the buttons i choosed are very big and perfect for the pinball use but unfortunately don't fit in the joystick's case ... but i have a plan ... you'll see

And this is what a friend of mine has done ... amateur

Strong point is that datel POS of a stick, is PC/PS3/XBOX compatible and when modded with good parts it's a real bargain ... unfortunately it's a bit small for my tastes ...

Unless ... i rip its entrails to stick them in an hrap or TE ..... mmmmm must think about this ... i'm sure buttons are soldered to the pcb though :/

HRAPs and TEs alike have quick disconnects.

This was my first full custom that I built using a ps2 pcb:

This is one I had commissioned for me:

Also, those buttons are kind of wonky looking on that mod, what brand are they? Also, to get an accurate feel that's true to a pinball machine you need leaf-switches, not microswitches. They have a different feeling all together. I recommend going with IL shorts and leaf-switch enclosures.

*edit* On second look, it looks like they're mix and match sanwas with black plungers.
    Last edited by the1rishway; 02-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.

You guys wouldn't hang out on Shoryuken.com by any chance? Partial to a bit of DIY building myself (sorry, any excuse to be a bit self indulgent) .....

Really fancy having a go at a pinball cab .... hope this gets a PC release and I'll be starting to build immediately.

Dude, that is freakin sexy. Yeah, I'm on SRK. Been there since 04. I mostly hang around the southwest discussion and match making forums though. Jeez, that is sexy.

I'm on SRK as well, but rarely check it.

Eric: That is impressive. There is only one thing missing though...

A cup holder. :P
    Last edited by Liverslapper; 02-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.
    My Guides: Nightmare Mansion

XBL Gamertag - XLiverslapperX

It looks a lot like a viewlix cabinet.

*edit*

DERP, THATS BECAUSE IT IS. *facepalm* Why no SSFIV though? Hook that sucka up to a 360 or ps3!

It is ! look on that screen there's a live marketplace mention
    Also the xbox is on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by the1rishway View Post
    HRAPs and TEs alike have quick disconnects. .
    Oh and i meant the pcb from the datel stick ...

Thanks people, I can confirm it's a Vewlix clone and hooked of to the XBOX for a bit of SSF4 I really fancy making a video pinball cab with a more contemporary feel which I think would suit FX2 to a tee. Something like this sort of style would be cool:

My mod is ******* USELESS for W:PBHOF since they LOCKED IN THE ******* CONTROLS. I can do everything but launch the ******* ball. I'd have to solder in a hacked 360 pad. RAGE.
    Last edited by Solitude; 02-13-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: rage is now G rated instead of R

i received my goods for modding the HRAP so, can u tell me what the control are in those games so i may perhaps think of something before doing the wiring ??

I mean the 'pinball hall of fame' serie ...

anyway, as promised, the picture of the beast , works great !

Last edited by X DrLobo; 03-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    whaaa sorry about the picture size, i'm used to forums with little preview stamps ...
    Amateur

Hey Welcome friend

Thank you for your welcome ,
    Otherwise a pic of my datel, in the version almost definitif

It occured to a friend of mine who modded a madcatz TE stick that the 'nudge' function was a big missing feature with a two buttons setup .... so i guess the next step is adding 2 more buttons on the side to allow for left and right nudge ... and wire them on the stick L.R directions ... after obviously designated the directional pad as the nudge button ...

It should work .... stay tuned