Thread: Pinball Fx2 vs Zen Pinball

Default Pinball Fx2 vs Zen Pinball

Im a lucky owner of both PinballFx 1&2 + Marvel Pinball on Xbox360 and Zen Pinball on Ps3.
    i can see that many people is very impatient about the release of mars and paranormal tables on xbox360.
    i wouldnt break these people hopes but i can tell you that these tables are quite disappointing.
    i mean disappointing (especially paranormal) according Pbfx2 standards.
    even if programmers behind zen pinball and pbfx are the same ( i guess) i can see that pbfx2 tables are better programmed both in graphics and (most important thing) in physics (in zen pinball the ball is way too light! it reminds me the fast ball in wolverine)
    You can see that Zen studios put much more effort in Pbfx2 than Zen pinball since from the start screen (lobby) where u can choose tables, settings and so on.
    Graphics, sounds, charts, everything is better in Pbfx2.
    Online multiplayer is totally disappointing in zen pinball ( its a problem of ps3 generally).
    xbox live is better in every detail (graphics, chat, avatars, connection stability etc)
    On the opposite site, i think that tables themes in zen pinball are more intersting and exciting (my personal taste).

Zen have said that the same physics engine is used for both Zen Pinball and PBFX2.

So, I would think any "physics" differences between tables on each platform are due to artistic and design considerations. (e.g. the setting of material properties, impulses, dampening, friction, ball weight and so on.)

(Certainly, the Marvel tables are nigh identical on both platforms.)

I don't own Mars and Paranormal, but I've seen a fair bit of them, and they do have a fairly "floaty" to them. (And I'm not talking about the anti-grav modes!) On Paranormal in particular, there's not a lot of ball flow, and combined with some "dead" or "wooden" ball collision sound fx, the table feels rather ping-pongish.

I do own the core Zen Pinball tables, and with the exception of V12 (I don't like cars much), I find they're pretty good. Quite a lot better than the PBFX1 core tables.

For quite a while there, Zen Pinball was the product to have. It was a much slicker product than PBFX, with many more features.

Then we got DLC like Excalibur and Earth Defense, which showed that Zen were getting better at their craft.

So when PBFX2 came around, it was natural for it to jump over Zen Pinball in terms of quality, features, attention to detail. IMO, the inclusion of the Marvel tables within PBFX2 has been a big feature. (I don't want 2 separate applications for my pinball.)

But if you just have a PS3, I wouldn't despair. Zen have already suggested that new PS3 work is afoot, possibly even a new platform like PBFX2.

If I understand correctly Pinball FX2 has an improved physics engine over Zen pinball and that is why Marvell Pinball is a separate product on PS3. I am pretty sure that both Mars and Paranormal are first going to get some sort of a graphics overhaul (like the FX1 tables did) and that it will play differently on FX2 than it does on ZEN. I don't play any of the original FX1 tables any more except for Excalibur and Earth Defence as the ZEN teams skill and understanding of what makes a good table has improved so much since the start - I can't wait for their new tables as I am sure that there will even be further improvements.

Zen recently said that the physics engine is the same on ZP and PBFX2.

Regarding Marvel as a standalone product on the PS#, I think they said something about the level of work involved to improve Zen Pinball. i.e. it would be too tricky (but to watch out for a new PS3 app/platform/whatever in the future).

No way zen pinball has same physics as pbfx2!
    You just have to play both games and the different is obvious.
    the only zen pinball tables that has a similar physics to pbfx2 are mars, paranormal and ninja gaiden (released in late october 2010 like pbfx2).
    All "old" zen pinball tables ( shaman, telsa etc) have a light and floaty ball. I hope they will be updated because they are fun.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Zen recently said that the physics engine is the same on ZP and PBFX2.

Regarding Marvel as a standalone product on the PS#, I think they said something about the level of work involved to improve Zen Pinball. i.e. it would be too tricky (but to watch out for a new PS3 app/platform/whatever in the future).
    I don't remember saying this - I do remember saying that the engines in PFX2 and Marvel Pinball are the same. PFX2's physics engine is more refined than ZP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I don't remember saying this - I do remember saying that the engines in PFX2 and Marvel Pinball are the same. PFX2's physics engine is more refined than ZP's.
    yeah! glad to see that i can still assess bacis pinball features :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    I don't remember saying this - I do remember saying that the engines in PFX2 and Marvel Pinball are the same.
    D'oh. My bad, then. I added 1 and 1, and got 3.

In my opinion, the ordinary PS3 controller is a big reason why I don't like ZP all that much. I hate the dual shock

Another reason (for me), is the tables on ZP - most are too over the top for my liking

i guess when mars and paranormal are done for pbfx2 we'll be able to compare controllers, engines etc ...

I, for one, would love to have a PS3 pack for PBFX2 but that's never going to happen unfortunately

I for one ... don't get why Xbox is getting all those tables and PS3 is not :x