Thread: Nightmare Mansion Table Guide

Default Nightmare Mansion Table Guide

Nightmare Mansion

Table Guide

I have decided to create this guide due to some questions concerning "Nightmare Mansion" that I have seen on this forum. This is a really easy table. I hope to eventually see all the tables having an accurate and complete guide, incase an individual should have a question. I am going to assume that most of you will have general knowledge of pinball gameplay, so I won't get into terms to much.

Table Layout

UPPER TABLE

You have two trees; one on the left and one on the right. bumpers near the right tree and above you will see 3 lanes that spell out B A T. Also you have an obvious orbit lane that circles around the entire upper table layout. Also right below the bumpers, you have 3 targets. There are just one of the sets you need to hit to light up NIGHTMARE. More on that later.

MIDDLE TABLE

Right below the upper left tree, you will see another set of 3 targets, and a flipper on the right. More noticable is the mini playfield underneat the upper playfield. You have a skull, covered by 3 drop targets, and a mini orbit lane around it. On the right you will have 4 targets. When hit they will spell M O D E, on the upper left of the mini playfield you will have 2 targets that will spell GO when lit. Now on the upper playfield, right above the right inlane, you will see another set of 3 targets, and 3 more on the opposite side.

LOWER TABLE

Two outlanes, two inlanes, two bumpers and two flippers and plunger. The obvious basics of a pinball table.

Table Basics

Skill Shot

Where is the skill shot? There isn't one. None that I am clearly aware of.

Extra Ball

Apparently I have been getting feedback about this multiball from several people here. It seems that when you get a Witch Score of 1,250,000 you will get the Extra Ball.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips/Strategy

Here is where I am sure most of you want to know about. Title says all. How do I get that high score? What do I need to do? Let me layout the basic tips for getting what you need.

In the inlanes and outlanes, you will notice that it spells, "CROW". Light all for of these up to enable DEATH SAVE. As you might already know, if you drain you get a ball save.

Shoot the spinner repeatedly over and over again and eventually you will open up the cellar. This is important mind you, for if you don't open up the cellar you cannot activate game modes. When you are able to open the cellar, "The cellar is now open" will appear in the dot matrix display. Shoot the ball with the top right flipper into the lane opposite of it. The ball will then travel down to the lower playfield. Here you want to light up the GO and MODE lights. You can't just light MODE and expect to have the game mode enable. Both have to be lit up at the same time. Once that is complete, feel free to hit the drop targets around the skull to spell hit. After they are dropped, you have one of three choices...

The skull is a pressure sensitive piece, and depending on how hard you hit the skull, it will give you a different score. It is as follows...

Soft hit - 10,000
    Medium Hit - 50,000
    Hard Hit - 100,000

Don't focus on these too much. What i do is after i am done lighting up GO and MODE, ill just see how many times i can hit the skull until i drain. Might as well, right? Every point counts. This brings me to another important point...

NIGHTMARE MANSION MILLION.

Remember those three sets of three targets on the upper playfield i mentioned in the layout section? Hit the 9 yellow targets and then get to the cellar. You will notice a hole up on the top on the lower playfield, and there will be a blue arrow blinking. Pop the ball into that hole and you will be awarded 1,000,000. Once you obtain the million, you have to re-hit all 9 yellow targets. Its good to make sure you have NIGHTMARE spelled out on the bottom by the flippers before you decide to hit the cellar. If you can't, that is ok. Just make sure you do the important thing and get GO MODE lit up. Moving on...

On the top right, right above the right inlane, you will see another set of 3 targets spelling CAT. Light that up to activate the kickback. If you collect 5 kickbacks, you will enter a mode. This means you need to hit the right ramps to escape the zombies for a extra score.

Hit bumpers to get 10.000, 50.000, 100.000, 200.000, 500.000, 1.000.000 and 2.000.000 scores after every 25th bump. These will show up as LUCKY BUMPS when activated.

MULTIBALL

Getting multiball on Nightmare Mansion literally requires no skill what-so-ever. All you have to do is hit the slingshots 20 times to activate it, then put the ball in the upper right tree after you have done so. Normally you will get the multiball without realising it. In this game, its important NOT TO WORRY ABOUT MULTIBALL. If you focus on completing other tasks, chances are you will hit the slingshots 20 times already. When multiball is activated, two more balls will join your ball in play. You will notice blue arrows lighting up in all lanes. Hit those bad boys for JACKPOTS.

You will notice the three lanes at the top that spell, BAT. Light those up to increase your bonus multiplier, which will show up at the bottom of the table where the two main flippers are located.

TREE MULTIBALL

You will notice the two trees in the top of the playfield. Putting a ball through each tree will gain you a certain percentage towards Tree Multiball. Keep hitting these lanes over and over until you see on the dot matrix display that you have reached 100%. Once completed, you will get one extra ball. During this multiball, continue to hit the tree lanes for extra points.

COMBOS

As you will see in most pinball tables, you can aquire combos to gain more points when shooting lanes. Combos in this game are easy because the lanes are not that difficult to hit. You have the following...

Combo
    Double Combo
    Triple Combo
    Super Combo

MODES

Credit goes to rapierdwit

Also, hitting orbits (or it could just be the spinner) advances you Witch's score (by 50,000 per hit I believe). This gives you both the points right away and gives you an End of Ball Bonus of the current Witch Score for the ball, so if you drain and have the Witch Bonus at 1,000,000, you get 1,000,000 times whatever multiplier you have achieved. The rest of the EOBB are a bit sketchy such as spinner, which I never seem to get any points on.

As for GO MODE's-

Monster Hunt (1st Mission)
    First shot - far left orbit
    Second shot - right orbit (above extra flipper)
    Third shot - use extra flipper to shoot ramp above basement entrance
    Fourth shot - tree ramp.

(Beating it gives you a crappy 1 Million)

The Third shot threw me off, I was hitting the basement entrance thinking it was the ramp (since the diverter is on for this Go Mode)

2nd mission is alternating Left/Right Orbits (and you might not even have to alternate them, they may just be the active lanes)
    Beating this is 2 Million

3rd is right orbit and tree ramp alternating (Once again you may not have to alternate them)

Beating this is 3 million.
    4th mission (Thanks IndyRC_Racer for the help) Once that mission starts there are 5 targets that pop-up out of the playfield. They are pretty hard to spot, so I would suggest that you pause the game. If my memory is correct, here are the locations (feel free to correct).

- Above the inner left out lane
    - Above the inner right out lane
    - Just below and to the left of the right ramp (multiball lock ramp)
    - Just above the left ramp
    - Below the 3 mushroom bumpers (in the main playfield).

Hold the view select button down to pause the game. You can then browse the playfield to locate these targets. This mission is similar to the hit the skeleton mission on Buccaneer.

5th mission! - I got to it on my first ball, locked 19 of 20 and then drained.... Fast forward to my 5th ball and I finally beat mission 5! I was playing cautious after beating it (beating it takes some real reckless shots IMHO) because I had not idea if I even had another extra ball at this point. Lit Go MODE for and started the Final Final Mission (or Wizard Mode?)! You have two minutes on the clock and, from what I can tell, every ramp is lit with the Jackpot Icon. Ramp shots/Orbits were not worth that much (150k?) but as the time wore down I noticed some were flashing and some where solid (I am assuming those are the ones I had already hit). Was not able to hit them all in the two minutes (Again, trying not to drain at this point, just wanted to see everything). At the end of two minutes, it says something to the effect of "Congrats? You have beaten all missions! Reward 20 Million."
    All missions then reset back to zero and you start over

GO MODE

Modes are worth several million upon completion, also this is how you unlock achievements. Work on getting that BAT bonus multiplier throughout the game. If you can maintain your ball and increase your witch score, you will get some big time points at the end of the ball.

If you want a good high score, expect to be sitting on this table for 30-45 minutes, depending on your skill. This game requires you to really have some ball control. Catch the ball OFTEN. Line up shots. Do not flail the ball like a mad man or you will

A) Not complete modes in time
    B) Drain the ball
    C) Lose the ball to an outlane
    D) Or just not getting anywhere by hitting shots that only give you a couple thousand. Not worth it.

You need to look at the table, and get a goal. That goal is to complete modes, and increase your bonus. Multiball is easy so get it often and hit those jackpots. With this game, you need to take your time or you will not obtain that high score you wish.
    Last edited by Liverslapper; 01-24-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    My Guides: Nightmare Mansion

XBL Gamertag - XLiverslapperX

Thanks for the guide!

I must admit to aiming for the slingshots, usually from the right flipper, just to rack up hits for multiball.

Yeah, that is what I use to do Womble. But I found out that if you focus on completing modes and other various tasks, you will inevitably hit the slingshots more then enough to start up multi-ball.

The modes on this table are by far the easiest of all tables. Very basic and self-explanatory when you activate them. I never made it through all modes, but just by doing what I mentioned in the guide, I was able to rack up 81,000,000. It justs a bit of time but its worth it.

Also..later this weekend I will update the guide with point values and modes.

A decent guide but doesn't answer the one main question I had. How do I get the extra balls? Also I didn't really need a "guide", what you have written here could have just been mentioned in my thread. Like you say this table is very basic, just a few things need clearing up.

What makes this table good to play is the ease of keeping the ball in play especially since the CROW lights can pretty much be constantly and easily lit. I think my 178mil took well over an hour but that was playing slow and carefully. The ball seems to have slightly different (lighter) physics than the newer tables so it makes trapping the ball very easy.

Also do you know if this table has a wizard mode after you complete all the mission?

Edit- Sorry I just re-read what I wrote and it does come across a little harsh. Definitely not intended that way but alot can get lost in text communication. I and probably alot of others appreciate the effort, its just it really doesn't tell anyone anything new.

OT- What sort of cat is in your pic? I own two burmese cats and they pretty much rule the house lol..The cat in the pic(from what I can see) has oriental features but the black coat is throwing me off. Burmese or Siamese cross perhaps?? I have seen when oriental breeds are "crossed" say with a persian or tortishell that they often come out black with splashes of light colour through the coat. Anyway i'll stop now.
    Last edited by OzV1; 03-06-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Couple of notes - On advance COMBOS you have to hit any lane EXCEPT the lane you just hit. Hitting the same lane again does not advance it.

Also, hitting orbits (or it could just be the spinner) advances you Witch's score (by 50,000 per hit I believe). This gives you both the points right away and gives you an End of Ball Bonus of the current Witch Score for the ball, so if you drain and have the Witch Bonus at 1,000,000, you get 1,000,000 times whatever multiplier you have achieved. The rest of the EOBB are a bit sketchy such as spinner, which I never seem to get any points on.

As for GO MODE's-

Fourth shot - tree ramp.

(Beating it gives you a crappy 1 Million)

The Third shot threw me off, I was hitting the basement entrance thinking it was the ramp (since the diverter is on for this Go Mode)

2nd mission is alternating Left/Right Orbits (and you might not even have to alternate them, they may just be the active lanes)

Beating this is 2 Million

3rd is right orbit and tree ramp alternating (Once again you may not have to alternate them)

Beating this is 3 million. (I see a theme here)

4th mission is ?????. Only clue is gather keys for extra points? Beat it in like 10 seconds before and failed it a few times with the timer expiring??? 4 million for beating it.

5th Mission is 20 bumper hits to grab the monsters and the left orbit to lock them up. Not sure if there is a limit of monsters you can grab before having to lock them...never have beaten it.

Feel free to add this info to your guide and/or cull what you need and add it.

The key to massive points is the multiplier and multiball as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 04-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    As for GO MODE's-

Fourth shot - tree ramp.

This third shot can be time consuming and tricky. I saw a suggestion on YouTube though: make sure you have Death Save on (by spelling C-R-O-W), and then just let the ball drain. The ball will be relaunched through the right tree, advancing the mode to the final shot.

(If you need to spell C-R-O-W in a hurry, hit the right tree; the ball will be delivered to an inlane. So just remember to flipper-cycle the inlane lights for the C-R-O-W letter you need.)

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    This third shot can be time consuming and tricky. I saw a suggestion on YouTube though: make sure you have Death Save on (by spelling C-R-O-W), and then just let the ball drain. The ball will be relaunched through the right tree, advancing the mode to the final shot.

(If you need to spell C-R-O-W in a hurry, hit the right tree; the ball will be delivered to an inlane. So just remember to flipper-cycle the inlane lights for the C-R-O-W letter you need.)
    Oh nice one, i might have to try that
    Also, I have won an extra ball during Multiball, so I don't think it is a type of mission or anything. However, I also received 10x during that ball, so maybe you get the typical extra ball for hitting 10x.

Thanks for the updates guys. I will update the guide and give you the credit for it. I didn't get through all the modes so I am unaware of any wizard mode.

An extra ball has something to do with the witches orbits or BAT

You dont get 50,000 every time, alot of times you have to shoot the
    same orbit twice to get the 50,000 added to the witches score.
    Maybe alternating everytime will get 50,000 everytime?

Thats about all I do on that table, hit the witches orbits. Its seems
    to me that I get the extra ball when the witches score is around 1.5 mil.
    But I dont know if that has anything to do with the extra ball.

I appreciate the info from everyone. I know that a guide for a table like Nightmare Mansion might seem kind of pointless, but I feel that there should be a guide for all tables, regardless of how meaningless it really may seem.

Also the extra ball thing is still up in the air. I have heard of different ways to get this but nothing official. I have not played the table since I created this guide so I will have to play it more. I still need to beat all the modes to see if a wizard mode exists. Been a busy weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Be4u View Post
    An extra ball has something to do with the witches orbits or BAT

You dont get 50,000 every time, alot of times you have to shoot the
    same orbit twice to get the 50,000 added to the witches score.
    Maybe alternating everytime will get 50,000 everytime?

Thats about all I do on that table, hit the witches orbits. Its seems
    to me that I get the extra ball when the witches score is around 1.5 mil.
    But I dont know if that has anything to do with the extra ball.
    Just throwing this out there for anyone working on figuring out the Extra Ball. I received one last night when I was messing around on the table, it was NOT during multi-ball, my Witch Score had just hit 1,250,000 and it was on a nightmare tree shot (not the middle one but on the Upper Flipper one.) Hope that helps

Edit - Also, on Nightmare Tree mutliball, you can hit any lane (orbits included) to score jackpots. Was not sure if that was clear from the original "During this multiball, continue to hit the tree lanes for extra points." post.
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 03-12-2011 at 04:29 AM.

A little more info on the 4th Mission.

Collect Keys for extra points. Each of the targets (Blue Faced, Red Faced on lower and upper table) can be hit for a key. I think ONE of them holds the correct key to complete the mission and I assume it is random which one it is.

And...Finally beat 5th mission! I got to it on my first ball, locked 19 of 20 and then drained.... Fast forward to my 5th ball and I finally beat mission 5! I was playing cautious after beating it (beating it takes some real reckless shots IMHO) because I had not idea if I even had another extra ball at this point. Lit Go MODE for and started the Final Final Mission (or Wizard Mode?)! You have two minutes on the clock and, from what I can tell, every ramp is lit with the Jackpot Icon. Ramp shots/Orbits were not worth that much (150k?) but as the time wore down I noticed some were flashing and some where solid (I am assuming those are the ones I had already hit). Was not able to hit them all in the two minutes (Again, trying not to drain at this point, just wanted to see everything). At the end of two minutes, it says something to the effect of "Congrats? You have beaten all missions! Reward 20 Million."
    All missions then reset back to zero and you start over.
    See, this is what I had in mind for a community FAQ of a table!
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 03-12-2011 at 06:29 AM.

rapierdwit, you have been very helpful. I have added your input to the guide. I haven't been able to beat the modes or play PBFX 2 much this week due to work.

I have updated it and given you the credit for the modes section. Thanks a bunch.

Extra Ball Mystery #1 Solved- 1,250,000 Witches Score earns you an extra Ball.
    As for the second way to earn an extra ball, I am leaning toward hitting a certain number of Jackpots or Super Jackpots (or scoring a certain amount) on Multi-ball.

Also, on Mission 3 the lane you have to hit (right orbit or upper tree ramp) switches automatically. It seems to be on a timer because you do not have to hit it for it to change AND it will not change after you hit it. So, nail that right orbit while you can!

Got to Wizard Mode/Final Mission again and, yes, they do solid light once you hit them. However, I was unable to complete it in the two minutes or so given. (Yea, I could not hit the Normal Tree Ramp for the life of me). I still got the Twenty Million, I am guessing you do not get if you drain (but I am guessing you can restart it by doing GO MODE again). Nothing is worth super points as far as I can tell (50,000 for a target and such) but I would be interested in seeing what happens if you light all the lanes and/or hit all the targets (Once again, guessing but I am going to say you get 6 million).

And...I think I am done with this table for awhile, it is a total time sink LOL. I NEVER thought I would break the top 50 on a table, much less the top 15. Seeing my name with 8 places of the likes of Purple Vomit is reward enough.

Biggest tip I can provide - Forget the missions...at least at first. Work the left and right orbit, the bounce is very predictable. Working these up to an extra ball with the Witch Score and, if you are feeling frisky, do the multi-ball (Because you will set it up nicely working the orbits). Once you have earned your extra ball, do the missions. From what i can see, there is no limit on extra balls earned (meaning you can earn extra balls while playing an extra ball). Easily half your points can come from EOBB's and this is from someone who has NEVER scores even a single point on the EOBB for spinner, ramps, and a few other ones.
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 03-15-2011 at 04:28 AM.

More Final/Wizard Mode Info - Each of the four ramps is blinking and you have 60 seconds to hit them. Success gives you 1 Million points and each ramp seems to raise in point value the first time you hit them/lock their light on (50k, 100k. etc...) Successfully hitting all four ramps adds thirty seconds to the final mode timer and resets the ramps, so you can try to hit/light/lock them again. I am assuming that hitting all four again gives you more points and this may rise to a point where it would be worth it to try to hit them all over and over. So, it may be an endless mode, I have not drained during this yet but I have timed out, which gives you the 20m all modes completed bonus.

I know this is an odd request but I noticed that HeathenSauce threw up a great score on this table and was wondering it he wanted to toss out any tips/tricks/information on how he was playing it.

Monday was the first time I really dug in and tried to learn the table. I found the actual missions and wizard mode required dangerous shots to complete and the points were fairly lack-luster. I focused on maxing the multiplier and increasing the witch score as the orbits are easy to loop.

With a max multiplier each increase of the witch score 1-2 shots on either orbit to advance the spinner equals 500k on the ballout bonus, plus you get the combo points as super combos are pretty easy with just alternating orbits. You also pick up the extra balls by increasing the witch score.

On first impression I found this to be a good scoring strategy focusing mostly on safe shots. For multipliers, I would go after those during multi-ball, since it can be hard to get the ball into the rollovers without attempting a dangerous shot.

Quote Originally Posted by heathenSauce View Post
    Monday was the first time I really dug in and tried to learn the table. I found the actual missions and wizard mode required dangerous shots to complete and the points were fairly lack-luster. I focused on maxing the multiplier and increasing the witch score as the orbits are easy to loop.

With a max multiplier each increase of the witch score 1-2 shots on either orbit to advance the spinner equals 500k on the ballout bonus, plus you get the combo points as super combos are pretty easy with just alternating orbits. You also pick up the extra balls by increasing the witch score.

On first impression I found this to be a good scoring strategy focusing mostly on safe shots. For multipliers, I would go after those during multi-ball, since it can be hard to get the ball into the rollovers without attempting a dangerous shot.
    My thoughts exactly. When I put up my latest score 90% of my ball drains were taking risky shots during missions. I was working on finishing a second wizard mode when I drained my last ball but there really was no point when an orbit shot at 10X is worth 500k. Just making sure i was not missing anything

Few more notes - You get the extra ball is at EVERY 1,250,000 of Witch's Score. I know you also can get one during multi-ball but still have yet to nail it down.

Mission 4 - Think I was mistaken on the other post about the keys. I believe you end the mission by hitting the Cellar hole. Not sure how many, if any, keys you need to gather before hitting the hole.

It is blurry but the readout say getting ready to shoot Ball 2. Stupid Game.

A bit previous to the above pic..Note the X10 which should give you a clue how much EOBB matters. Also note, I could not resist doing a few missions while grinding.

Also, this might go without saying but I never realized it, Extra Balls max out at 9. Doesn't matter if you win an extra ball on ball 9, you never get to ball 10.

Just thinking out loud here bit the EOBB for Ramps, spinner and such never seem to have any points for me and I sure I have done EVERYTHING on this table. Only thing I can figure is that those bonuses must be picked up during Wizard Mode, I will try to check next time I trigger it.

I always seem to trigger the Zombie mission during multi-ball, I would really like to find out how many points you get for completing it.
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 04-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Just completed my best game of Nightmare Mansion today. Here is some info about wizard mode. I will assume that anyone who has read this thread knows how to activate wizard mode.

Once wizard mode starts, both orbits and ramps have a flashing light. Once you hit one of the ramps/orbits, the light will stay on. You have 60 seconds to hit all 4. I didn't pay attention to the value of each shot. However, I DID pay attention to what happens when you complete all 4 - you get 1 million points. Also, the timer resest to 60, both orbits/ramps will have a flashing light, and the ball saver is activated

I managed to complete both orbits/ramps 3 different times during the 1 time I got to wizard mode. Each time I completed all 4, it was worth 1 million points. To put it another way, the 2nd time I completed all 4 it was still only worth 1 million points. After the time ran out, I got the 20 million bonus and the game modes/missions reset.

I always have a problem consistently hitting the left ramp. If the ball saver is active, I will let the ball drain down the middle and let the automatic ball launch hit that ramp for me. This also comes in handy on a few of the game modes/missions.

As other have posted, there were some after ball bonuses that showed 0 points. Not sure what you have to do to get those

Hope this info helps.

One more thing, the info in this guide about the 4th mission is incorrect.

Once that mission starts there are 5 targets that pop-up out of the playfield. They are pretty hard to spot, so I would suggest that you pause the game. If my memory is correct, here are the locations (feel free to correct).

Hold the view select button down to pause the game. You can then browse the playfield to locate these targets. This mission is similar to the hit the skeleton mission on Buccaneer.

Hope this info helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post

Once that mission starts there are 5 targets that pop-up out of the playfield. They are pretty hard to spot, so I would suggest that you pause the game. If my memory is correct, here are the locations (feel free to correct).

Hope this info helps.
    LOL no kidding! I will have to pause next time and check it out I really have NEVER seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post

Hope this info helps.
    I was not sure how to pause and look but I did manage to freecam during the mission and, sure enough, they are there (not that I doubted you LOL). Honestly, I could not really see them once I went back to the mission. They REALLY blend in.