View Poll Results: Is Tournament Mode something you would want?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 94.74%
  • No

1 5.26%

Thread: Tournament Mode possible?

Default Tournament Mode possible?

NOTE: I am NOT talking about the tournaments they host ocassionally.

Hey guys.

A quick question. Is there any chance that a tournament mode could be enabled with leader boards?

By Tournament mode I mean stuff like extra Balls disabled and other standard modes.

I realise you can turn TM on with the options for the newer machines (at least I think you can?) but it would be nice for it to have a separate score and LBs to compare.

This is a fairly effortless way to add replayability for people. You could then have *Arcade mode* and *tournament Mode* when you load up each table.

Although it's an interesting idea, it's not something I have a big need for. (There are a number of other issues with greater priority, for my money.)

Zen said something recently about an upcoming patch that addresses replayability, so maybe there will be something similar in there.

I would definitely love a tournament mode with separate leaderboards. There's already standards in the pinball world for it too. Removal of the extra balls is the most prominent feature, but tournament organizers will often modify the table to make it harder as well. This could be done in FX2 multiple ways since the tables aren't physical. Stronger slingshots, wider outlanes, a bigger gap between the flippers, ect. This would be a great addition not only for the extra challenge, but cut down on the time requirement for an high score game or actual tournament game. I don't even want to know how much time Blue's biolab game took last tournament. A hard or tournament mode would be a very welcome feature.

I strongly agree with everything HS said.

It'd be nice to have another leaderboard for tournament mode. It would also be nice to not feel like you have to play a 9 ball game to get your optimal score. Plus, it is already common practice in the pinball world.
    Last edited by ZodiacMunch; 03-10-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heathenSauce View Post
    I would definitely love a tournament mode with separate leaderboards. There's already standards in the pinball world for it too. Removal of the extra balls is the most prominent feature, but tournament organizers will often modify the table to make it harder as well. This could be done in FX2 multiple ways since the tables aren't physical. Stronger slingshots, wider outlanes, a bigger gap between the flippers, ect. This would be a great addition not only for the extra challenge, but cut down on the time requirement for an high score game or actual tournament game. I don't even want to know how much time Blue's biolab game took last tournament. A hard or tournament mode would be a very welcome feature.
    That is one of the main reasons... Arcade mode scores (as I will call it just for reference) are starting to become just insane and a huge time sink in order to compete against (even yourself).

I realise score inflation will happen with any game. But there are a lot of games where *tournament* mode leaderboards really aren't that high (PAPA series good example - their Twilight Zone table looks intense).

Count me for wanting a tournament/pro/wizard mode to.

I am running the Pinball FX2 Festival involving all the tables (send friend request to caderspb to be part), and could use a mode and some features to support tournaments/league play:
    * Give me a way for people to view my friend list for weekly high score, so players can check where they stand in the tournament. I use players on a friend list to run a tournament weekly for games.
    * Turn off extra balls
    * Turn off try again, which doubles the number of attempts.
    * Turn off save feature. Trying to run an event for a particular game players ONLY play during that week. The way it is now, players could prepare ahead of time for the event, play outside the week, and then count their best score.

Anything else to make it more suitable for doing tournament play, and easier to run. Would be good to add more to make league play possible. I know one can say, "just use the global weekly leaderboard". Well, that doesn't have the angle of people competing against a set pool of competition.

I know this thread is old, but I would like to see a tournament mode used on official Zen tournaments and have its own leaderboards. Zen tournaments can be feats in stamina more than skill in which the top score takes hours or even days to achieve. I know you can make some manual adjustments to make the tables more difficult but an official tournament mode would be cool. It would prevent extra balls, remove random rewards and instead make them sequential, perhaps shorter mode timers, no kickbacks or ball saves or at least make them harder to earn, and perhaps make nudging more like real tables with 2 tilt warnings max per ball (i.e. no resetting of tilt warnings). And perhaps physical adjustments as well like making the flipper rubbers more elastic, make the outlanes more brutal by removing rubber posts, and slightly bigger rubbers at the entrance to ramps/loops to make shots harder. I know this is in the xbox 360 forum but I would like to see a tournament mode on all platforms.