Thread: table sizes (question)

Default table sizes (question)

Hey all

A quick question here (and if any users know the answer then that would be great).

Why do a lot of the tables feel like small tables? The Spider-man one is nice as it is long and *feels* more real. Same goes for Biolab. The table feels quite long and allows for some good play.

Tables don't always need an upper playfield; but some others look a bit cramped. Is it simply to do with camera angles or is there some other reason?

(no complaints about tables; just wondering if *longer* tables such as spider-man will become more common in the future - at the moment there is a farily decent mix with smaller tables taking just a few more spots).

Pretty simple! There are two different sizes when it comes to real pinball machines, which are Regular and Wide. Zen uses both types depending on the design of the table (during the planning stage).

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear.

What I mean is some of the tables feel like they were squashed down a bit. This might just be the effects of a widescreen tv. Like to look at them it seems like the tables should have been longer but due to camera angle / video game platform; the tables were designed to be a bit more cramped.

This isn't a problem at all; just makes some of the tables feel claustrophobic at times.

Again; not complaining; just wondering if others get that sort of feeling. None of the Marvel tables really feel like that but Pasha for example (which I love as a table btw) just feels a bit cramped sometimes.

My guess: Zen have deliberately truncated the table lengths and/or have packed a disproportionate amount of game area and items in to the player-end of the table. See: Wolverine.

They may have done this to counter the effects of perspective and subsequent loss of definition when playing on a 2D screen. It's not much fun trying to play at the back end of the table when the game elements and ball appear much smaller. (See camera 6 on Blade...)

I do like how Zen are being smart with what they've got. Like the hidden/zoomed mini-games on Pasha, which leave the table uncluttered while still providing more game features.

Having said that, there's also a Zen tendency to hide or obfuscate important game features. The list is endless, but some of the worst culprits:

- unlit, dark or cluttered loops and ramps: Earth Defense, Nightmare Mansion, Street Fighter, Buccaneer, Biolab

- hidden or obscured shots: Wolverine left hand saucer, the (insane) bonus multipliers on Secrets of the Deep, the top mid flipper shots on Pasha, multiball locks on Rocky and Bullwinkle, ball saver on Blade (hit that shot three times, really? I don't think so.)

- obscured or nasty flippers: Earth Defense, Rocky and Bullwinkle

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    My guess: Zen have deliberately truncated the table lengths and/or have packed a disproportionate amount of game area and items in to the player-end of the table. See: Wolverine.

They may have done this to counter the effects of perspective and subsequent loss of definition when playing on a 2D screen. It's not much fun trying to play at the back end of the table when the game elements and ball appear much smaller. (See camera 6 on Blade...)

I do like how Zen are being smart with what they've got. Like the hidden/zoomed mini-games on Pasha, which leave the table uncluttered while still providing more game features.

Having said that, there's also a Zen tendency to hide or obfuscate important game features. The list is endless, but some of the worst culprits:

- unlit, dark or cluttered loops and ramps: Earth Defense, Nightmare Mansion, Street Fighter, Buccaneer, Biolab

- hidden or obscured shots: Wolverine left hand saucer, the (insane) bonus multipliers on Secrets of the Deep, the top mid flipper shots on Pasha, multiball locks on Rocky and Bullwinkle, ball saver on Blade (hit that shot three times, really? I don't think so.)

- obscured or nasty flippers: Earth Defense, Rocky and Bullwinkle
    That shot on Blade isn't so bad, you just need to hold the right flipper up, otherwise it's turbo drain. Also that table gives away free balls like they are going out of style. The ball saver is easy to activate as well, (hidden hole)