Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams Pinball Classics

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Talking Williams Pinball Classics

Just making a thread to see how many of the PFX2 community is going to be purchasing the Pal release of PHOF Williams Collection which has been retitled for the Pal release as Williams Pinball Classics.

I preordered the game from GAME for £25 - http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Xbox-360...nball+Classics

I had that on order since last year, with all the madness of the delays it seems this Friday is finally the day that UK/EU will get to play this. I wont be at ease till the status says dispatched.

So who else from the PFX2 community preordered this, and if you have the US release could you share some opinions with the rest of us.

My Order status is still at Preorder, so I assume that means no stock yet.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Exclamation

Just receieved an email from the publisher System3 which I asked if Friday's release is still on and this is their reply -

"Hi there. The game is due for release this Friday.The game has left our warehouses, however, due to the last minute nature of the date confirmation, it's difficult to say whether all stores will have it in place on day 1.You'll need to ask the store you've pre-ordered it from.

Best wishes,
    Chandra
    "

Seems it is on but might not get the game day 1
    Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 06-13-2011 at 07:26 PM.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I've had it on pre-order for months, mate. Good news.

Just checked on "Game.co" website and it has this Fridays release date.I have also been waiting over a year for this to come to the UK..umm but with my car insurance and road tax to re-new i will have to hang on and see how my money goes

Yeh its so close, Il update you if m order status changes..... come on say Dispatched!

Still says status - Preorder

Whats the status of you orders?
    Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 06-13-2011 at 07:27 PM.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Had it pre-ordered from zavvi for a while, up at £17.85 I think. Fingers crossed for friday, although it only says processing at the mo.

Good price though, still time if anyone wants to jump ship.

I've been playing Williams PHOF on the PS3 again for the last few days.

Unless the WPC edition is changed -- and I suspect it won't be -- I probably won't be getting it for the 360. When I first got the game, the physics looked good in comparison to Pinball FX 1. But it compares poorly against PFX2.

For example, Medieval Madness is seriously out of whack, with moonball physics and shoddy flipper collision detection. And then there's the low resolution table artwork and poor texture filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I've been playing Williams PHOF on the PS3 again for the last few days.

Unless the WPC edition is changed -- and I suspect it won't be -- I probably won't be getting it for the 360. When I first got the game, the physics looked good in comparison to Pinball FX 1. But it compares poorly against PFX2.

For example, Medieval Madness is seriously out of whack, with moonball physics and shoddy flipper collision detection. And then there's the low resolution table artwork and poor texture filtering.
    I will be looking out for some reviews (hopefully some pinhead will get a review out soon as I hate these review-because-I-am-paid-to crap). From their web-site it seems that they have made some improvements from the original including improved physics, real 3D models of features and high resolution life-like artwork. My guess is, after pinball fx 2 came out, they realised (apart from the legal hold-up) that they couldn't release it as it is because people will rather buy fx 2 with the better physics and graphics and that they thus first have to improve their products standard before releasing it.

As long as its enjoyable Il like it, I know it wont match Zens perfection but I must support the Pinball Genre any way I can.

My Order is still at status - Preorder

I hope GAME isn't one of those who wont have stock for day 1.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Im thrilled this is coming to europe at last. I dont really care that pb fx 2 is probably better. I just wanna see all those williams tables in action . (Although it would be much cooler if zen got the rights to do so )

Quote Originally Posted by jop87 View Post
    Im thrilled this is coming to europe at last. I dont really care that pb fx 2 is probably better. I just wanna see all those williams tables in action . (Although it would be much cooler if zen got the rights to do so )
    Yeh omg if they did I would cry with joy. They should really do a Terminator 2 and Lethal Weapon 3 table again I remember they where freaking epic.

Just view this vid to see Terminator 2 table in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8vV5HJK6VY

Lethal Weapon 3 in action............. MILLION!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tqDdBh0jU

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

GAME just sent me this in responce to a question I asked about if they have stock etc and when the product will begin shipping -

"Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the current release date we have from the publisher is 17/06/11,

When a release date is not a Friday, this sometimes leads to a change in the normal process
    Often payments are taken in advance, usually a few days before the release date and products are kept ‘on hold’ until publishers allow Game to send the product.

Regards,
    Charlie S
    The Team at GAME"

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Just orderd mine from zavvi, looking forward to it it'll keep me going until the nxt fx2 table arrives.

KickBeaten Down

It's pretty tough to find pinball machines in good shape in Europe, so it's great that this game is finally coming out there.

BTW here is another picture of some of the tables we like to play at the office
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    It's pretty tough to find pinball machines in good shape in Europe, so it's great that this game is finally coming out there.

Nice! So, when is the forum meeting?

Wink

Oh dude would love to play those bad boys........*Drools* get me a towel!

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Wow, envy u guys.. Hope u do have some time left to actually play these. Theatre of magic is so cool!

went to check some stores today. And they told me it will be released in july . Guess UK release is sooner than Dutch release

Just got an email from amazon ... guess what ... ?!?!

GAME now have the release date as 24/06/11...

Quote Originally Posted by Alipan View Post
    GAME now have the release date as 24/06/11...
    Yeh Im very annoyed, the people at System3 said the game has left there warehouses... so someboy is lie'n

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Unhappy

Zavvi seem to have removed the PS3 and 360 versions from their site altogether although my order still has an estimated dispatch date of today.

Pretty sure thats not gonna happen though....

Apparently some stores did get stock but not our stores which we preordered etc from.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

First Review of this Version I found -

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...ox-360-review/

Seems in fact they did polish up this release, I just wish I could freaking play it now then wait another week.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I'm interested to see what has been refined since the USA release. My main gripes were Harem Multiball was glitched on TotAN... and the leaderboards were complete trash to try and navigate. And of course the "moonball" effect. I wonder if the physics engine was changed at all.

If this release is Region-Free, I might just have to import it

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    First Review of this Version I found -

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...ox-360-review/

Seems in fact they did polish up this release, I just wish I could freaking play it now then wait another week.
    Hmm thats an Australian website, which is great news to me. I have looked all over the internet for a release date for Australia but they all only say UK/Europe..I went into EB games yesterday and the drone behind the counter hadn't even heard of it or had anything in his computer.

I hope it comes here but if not this is one I am willing to import. After recently finding a couple of 'real' machines (Batman Dark Knight and Avatar) I have alot more appreciation for them now and am interested to see this game even if the physics aren't up to Zen's high standards.

Lets all hope we get to play this soon, as us lot been waiting some time to try this game out.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Update : i cancelled my direct order from amazon and reordered via 'micromania' who lists it as 'available' ... thing is i went to a micromania shop this week end with no luck regarding this game ... let's see how they do with mail order

Just a heads up... PHoF: The Williams collection (NTSC release) is on sale for $10 with $0.97 shipping at goHastings with coupon code JUNEBUG. Brand NEW factory sealed. I already own PHoF, but I went ahead and ordered Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for $10 NEW.

If you live in the USA and haven't picked this one up yet. Do yourself a favor and order a copy

If it's against the rules to post something like this on a competing product... please kindly let me know and I will remove the info. Just wanted to spread the word to my fellow pinheads.
    Last edited by KGSoloman8000; 06-20-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Lets hope as least some of us get our copies this week. My GAME order is still at Preorder... process or something darn it.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Did you guys end up getting your copies of Williams Pinball Classics? I looked at zavvi and the game isn't even listed for 360 anymore. No luck on ebay as well.

I emailed System 3 yesterday and just got this reply:

"Hi Alex. The answer is a bit complicated I'm afraid.We're a small UK publisher and as such we have little say in whenretailers put the games on the shelf. We're also at the mercy of smallscale logistics and larger publishers. The game is finished and manufactured and it has left our warehouses,hence our intended date of the 17th.Ultimately the turnaround into stores has taken longer than we wantedthough. GAME told us yesterday that it would definitely be in-store on Friday. Best wishes, Chandra"

I've been following news on this game since months and the release date just keeps changing and changing and... so on. Wonder what's the deal with getting out an actually already finished product that has just to be tweaked and polished a bit. The release date on the page of the german publisher is the 15th of july at the moment but I don't believe it's the real deal... :/

Yeh its been a joke, delays after delays.... GAME still not dispatched mine. No way is it coming this week for me.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Unhappy

I pre-ordered from Zavvi a couple of weeks ago, still saying processing today.
    Also, Just checked to see if GAME have it in stock today and the release date has just been put back again to 1.7.2011........

Why did and do they even give out release dates at all? Just saying "indefinite release date" would be better than always make people looking forward to one day and then just disappointing them... And I honestly wonder what makes this take so long!?

I received the PS3 version today from amazon.fr and there are small differences from the US one, but not really revolutionary stuff.

In MM, the slingshots are more sensitive and also stronger, which leads to more drains but the troll animations are smoother. I cannot say that the moon physics have improved, but the gameplay may be a tad faster... I'm not sure yet.

NGG looks definitely better and is much more playable.

On the downside, the moving camera is much closer to the playfield and it can't always keep up with the balls so I'm going only for the fixed ones. You can now have a very low fixed view that resembles those YouTube videos, where the flippers fill up half the screen.

PS. I saw the PS3 version in Berlin already in Feb., so you may be able to find it in Saturn or Mediamarkt on Alexanderplatz, if you plan to go there. amazon.fr still has it and amazon.de will have it in a couple of weeks...maybe.
    Last edited by curiousdan; 06-24-2011 at 06:24 PM.

The problem is that I own none of the Sony platforms (PS3, PSP) the game is already out for here. Saturn lists it coming 15.07. which is the same date Koch Media has posted on their website. So might this finally be the true release date!? :O I so hope it is... ^^ But actually I have plenty other games to play at the moment that will keep me busy and entertained even if the wait takes longer than this.

my copy has shipped !

GAME changed the release date yet again....... this is a joke!

15/07/2011 = 15th of July
    Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 06-29-2011 at 06:22 PM.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

finally got it so ...mini review :

nothing like zen tables in terms of crazyness but its a welcomed change of pace as far as im concerned... the physics actually seems quite accurate and the graphics are nice ..i feared the worse regarding visuals but apart from the table layouts wich sometimes are 'strange' the overall quality is good ..

regarding gameplay you have a set of basic goals to achieve per table and when its done another set of wizard goals... completing these grant you achievements...

each table needs credits to be played but youll quickly get more than enough to unlock tables for 'free play'

all in all i was afraid of disapointment but the game is a pleasant surprise finally.... beware though these table are nothing like zen's and its a totally different game than pbfx regarding physics and table rules.... but like i said its a nice change of pace...

well worth the 29€ in my opinion

and believe it or not im number one on the pinbot leaderboard hahaha... not for long i fear ! Btw the leaderboards suck and only shows the 100 1st places with no way to sort scores by friends or overall.... even your own score you have to browse through the list to find ...thats a bit disapointing ...hope it will get fixed in a patch someday ...

I find the physics a bit Moon like at times, doh the game is still a heck load of fun... I love TAXI

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

very true.... both statements :-)

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    and believe it or not im number one on the pinbot leaderboard hahaha... not for long i fear ! Btw the leaderboards suck and only shows the 100 1st places with no way to sort scores by friends or overall.... even your own score you have to browse through the list to find ...thats a bit disapointing ...hope it will get fixed in a patch someday ...
    I wouldn't hold your breath. The leaderboards suck here in the US, and were never patched. I don't think the devs believe in post-release support at all.

Let me know if Harem Multiball is still glitched on TotAN.

The game hasn't been released here yet because all UK sites have the release in July now, keeps getting delayed. I was able to get a copy via a m8 of mine.

The devs and publisher System3 have made the release of this game a major annoyance... delays after delays and hardly any communication to their fans.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Anyone got their hands on this title yet? wanna know if the EU version is any better than the US one..

Thanks!

Anyone got their hands on this title yet? wanna know if the EU version is any better than the US one..

Thanks!
    Yeh the graphics are a bit more polished up etc plus it gives you a new set of achievements.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I've had this game since last year on xbox, and at that time I was playing it lots more than FX1 for nostalgia, achievements, and one other friend had it and kept one-upping my scores. I pop it in occasionally since FX2 came out, but just if I want to get some practice on tables before I go to my real pinball place that has Whirlwind, Pinbot, and Black Knight from the disc. MM is one of my favorite if slightly off at times. If you can get the timing proper though you can be completing missions in no times. I love the humor on that board too. NGG is another fun one. I want to like Arabian Nights, but they've never fixed the one glitch yet that doesn't register sneak-ins or harem loops sometimes when you're going for one of the basic goals of getting the harem multi-ball.

thanks guys Getting this game as soon as i got the money..

Hi my game arrived today from zavvi!!!! so hopefully the rest of you will get your copys soon i'm looking forward to playing it

Quote Originally Posted by gazuk View Post
    Hi my game arrived today from zavvi!!!! so hopefully the rest of you will get your copys soon I'm looking forward to playing it
    Thanks for the heads up on this im hoping to pick it up instore(game or gamestation) this weekend.. I gave up on pre ordering it after a year of waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this im hoping to pick it up instore(game or gamestation) this weekend.. I gave up on pre ordering it after a year of waiting.
    Your welcome, to be honest i forgot i had it on pre order so was a pleasant surprise when i got in from work I've just played it & it's a great game totally diff feel to it than fx2 which i think is good

Yeh the graphics are a bit more polished up etc
    Thanks for the comparison. Is Williams Pinball Classics region locked?
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I believe so, thats why we in UK have had to wait so long rather than import a copy. I think only the ps3 version is region free.

I believe it is but I can't confirm it... I do have access to a Jap 360 but I wont be able to test it until next week or so. But no NA 360 on my end.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Got it at long long last, its good but im finding the ball very floaty making it a bit awkward to get the ball under control for aiming, completed challenge mode on first go though.

Got the game yesterday and have to say I'm very disappointed with the floaty space ball physics. It doesn't feel like the ball has any weight to it and in the end the ball bounces of your flippers in such a crazy way that it feels like your flippers are covered in some kind of super elastic material. The ball must have bounced at least 10 times from an attempted catch of the flipper straight into the out lane in the half an hour or so that I played. If there wasn't pinball fx 2 I might have wanted to play the game, but as it stands now I'm probably never going to be able to play it as I'll struggle to look past the crappy ball physics. I really like Medieval Madness and Tales of Arabian Nights though and always wanted to see their Wizard modes... so I might force myself at some point (when I'm really bored with FX 2 ) to try and complete it....

It's such a pity because the tables are beautifully recreated (although the graphics are not as nice looking as fx 2 - the ball doesn't even have a proper reflection), I really love the way they explain your table goals - really helpful for getting to know a table, the dynamic camera is awesome - they have programmed it so that you are always able to focus effortlessly on the ball without ever getting the same fast camera angle shifts that you get in fx 2 (which gives me motion sickness ).

Ah well.....

It feels to me like your playing with a balloon instead of a ball bearing, also i think we have been spoilt with fx2 more modern take on tables where your able to activate kickbacks,PINBOT TABLE its been many many years since i played pinbot on a real table and im finding it now very annoying that the ball keeps going down the outlanes with no chance of stopping it, and i can't find any reliable way to aim/hit the target that moves you on to the next planet(any help on this please), will have to put some more time in to the other tables some time.
    Last edited by satch; 07-25-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Spent an hour or so on Medieval Madness its a good table that i don't remember playing in the arcades and the physics don't seem so bad on this table, im struggling to get my head around if the physics on williams is OK, poor or just inconsistent, on at least the space shuttle table a ball that seems not to have the strength to get up a ramp seems on occasion to get grabbed by an invisible hand and yanked up . If theres ever to be another pinball hall of fame collection it would be great if they could at least use ZENS editor if not have ZEN develop them.

Finally got mine through the post:

ZEN need to take note of SOUND DESIGN! = Playing these tables; the sound design is just way better than Zen's stuff. Zen is getting better with this however but their tables sound flat compared with say medieval madness.

Other than that; Zen's tables are pretty much up to par. They layout on these real tables seems a bit tighter which is something that Zen is improving with every table.

I also hope Zen make some darker tables as the super bright neon colours are starting to blind me xD.

But overall; Zen's product is far superior - but William's does do a lot of things right.
    My Youtube channel I have started, Playthroughs, game chatter - that sort of thing

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNDpP...el_video_title

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    Got the game yesterday and have to say I'm very disappointed with the floaty space ball physics. It doesn't feel like the ball has any weight to it and in the end the ball bounces of your flippers in such a crazy way that it feels like your flippers are covered in some kind of super elastic material. The ball must have bounced at least 10 times from an attempted catch of the flipper straight into the out lane in the half an hour or so that I played. If there wasn't pinball fx 2 I might have wanted to play the game, but as it stands now I'm probably never going to be able to play it as I'll struggle to look past the crappy ball physics. I really like Medieval Madness and Tales of Arabian Nights though and always wanted to see their Wizard modes... so I might force myself at some point (when I'm really bored with FX 2 ) to try and complete it....

It's such a pity because the tables are beautifully recreated (although the graphics are not as nice looking as fx 2 - the ball doesn't even have a proper reflection), I really love the way they explain your table goals - really helpful for getting to know a table, the dynamic camera is awesome - they have programmed it so that you are always able to focus effortlessly on the ball without ever getting the same fast camera angle shifts that you get in fx 2 (which gives me motion sickness ).

Ah well.....
    You do know of the emulation scene on the pc right? I am not sure how *legal* it is; so I will leave you to research it as I don't want to cause trouble. But the user made recreations are amazing and the physics are super tight. Have a look about and you will probably be impressed tbh. It's a great way to play a bunch of old tables that you will struggle to find real life - Just thought I'd mention it.
    My Youtube channel I have started, Playthroughs, game chatter - that sort of thing

Yeh for me the game suffers from its physics, leaderboard and not so up to standards graphics.

Although it excels in audio and visual where the Tables lights up like a Xmas Tree so you know you done something good like gain an Extra Ball.

The Audio is so good because they practically ripped it from the physical Tables RAM.

I became pretty good at Funhouse netted near 100 Millions since I found a strategy, it mostly about endurance than skill at a point. I love TAXI to bits for me the most annoying Table is Pinbot as its always going down the outlanes something even without touch the Flippers str8 from a Ball Launch.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

have you tried JIVE TIME?
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oskari14 View Post
    Only had a couple of goes, took me a while to find it after i had unlocked it

Whirlwind, Taxi & No Good Gophers are a lot of fun. My copy is in the mail... free shipping from the UK - I probably wont see it before christmas!

Omg Taxi is such a fun game.

Think I will be buying that one IRL. It is within my price bracket and it seems enjoyable with some great sounds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskari14 View Post
    Jive Time that table makes me feel sick, having to complete Williams Challenge to unlock it was a bit odd since it doesn't feel great to finally have it. Think I only played it 5 times on so.

Taxi, Med Evil etc are so much more fun.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    Omg Taxi is such a fun game.

Think I will be buying that one IRL. It is within my price bracket and it seems enjoyable with some great sounds etc.
    "PINBOT STRANDED!" great music & sound effects in Taxi - will be a great purchase mate

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Canuck View Post
    "PINBOT STRANDED!" great music & sound effects in Taxi - will be a great purchase mate
    Hehe yeah it's a really fun table. Frustration levels and difficulty feels right to me. Got 6 shots to get used too and it's pretty varied for an older style machine.

Finally scored the Jackpot! Twice in one game actually xD. A bit disheartened that I have completed all the Wizard goals already (even though you have to unlock them after you do the normal ones).

Not a lot of reason left to play in on William's pinball classics - Ball physics just feel so awkwardly floaty - Makes you really appreciate how good Zen's engine is. I mean; it may not be quite perfect but it is light years a head of anything else; and their tables are designed around their ball physics - so it all works well.

Wish they could get the rights to the older tables and redo them in pbfx2 - I bet the William's tables would sell a lot more on fx2's platform

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    Wish they could get the rights to the older tables and redo them in pbfx2 - I bet the William's tables would sell a lot more on fx2's platform
    Agreed, or maybe zen could lease out their pinball editor/engine to third parties ?

I find ball very floaty too but on space shuttle i managed to complete wizard goals & i changed ball appearance to the basket ball & the ball seemed to feel much better but that could just be me!

Quote Originally Posted by gazuk View Post
    I find ball very floaty too but on space shuttle i managed to complete wizard goals & i changed ball appearance to the basket ball & the ball seemed to feel much better but that could just be me!
    I did not know you could do that. Ive done wizard goals on SS so will give it a try.

Lot's of cool tables in this game!

Only pinbot is terrible if u ask me. I liked bride of pinbot in the arcade.. But pinbot is really harsh.
    Favourite is definitely TOTAN. I can't imagine pasha not being inspired by this table.

And is it me or is the medieval madness video mode really though to get?
    I always get trolls or madness when i shoot the hole .

And we really are spoiled by zen.. Kickbacks shouldn't be on every table.. Just like ball saver should be rare.

Lot's of cool tables in this game!

Only pinbot is terrible if u ask me. I liked bride of pinbot in the arcade.. But pinbot is really harsh.
    Favourite is definitely TOTAN. I can't imagine pasha not being inspired by this table.

And is it me or is the medieval madness video mode really though to get?
    I always get trolls or madness when i shoot the hole .

And we really are spoiled by zen.. Kickbacks shouldn't be on every table.. Just like ball saver should be rare.
    Pinbot is incredibly hard but I still love him even if he hates me :P.

In regards to MM's video mode, it's not a random award from merlin, even though it looks like it would be. You only get it if you have completed the inlane/outlane rollovers 8 times, then hit merlin's reward. After that it's 40 for the second video mode.

Yeh the game is a heck load of fun, yes it doesn't have the physics which Zen Tables have but its still gives us bags of fun.

Yeh MM is truely one of the all time greats when it comes to Pinball Tables. I don't like that you need to unlock the Wizard Goals before getting awarded for completing them. There was one game I had on Wirlwind which I done all the SG and WG but only credited for the SG.

In regards to Pinbot, yeh its funny unforgiving and makes me bit my lip alot. It would be nice if Williams would do DLC for the title but I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 08-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

It would be nice if [Crave] would do DLC for the title but I don't see that happening any time soon.
    It would be nice, but it appears that Crave doesn't believe in DLC.

Space Shuttle is one which I do not like.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive from the UK. Must be coming via boat :P

Compared to Pinball FX2, it's utter garbage. Ball physics are so bad. I can't believe this got 8/10 on Gamespot. And it looks like a Xbox/PS2 game graphics wise. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn74 View Post
    Compared to Pinball FX2, it's utter garbage. Ball physics are so bad. I can't believe this got 8/10 on Gamespot. And it looks like a Xbox/PS2 game graphics wise. IMO.
    So you couldn't get any enjoyment out of the game? ah well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I still find enjoyment from playing it, yes its not a Zens Engine etc but I still can have a blast locally with a few mates etc.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    It would be nice, but it appears that Crave doesn't believe in DLC.
    There is still enough space in the back room after Jive Time is unlocked, but I don't think the collection sold well enough to warrant DLC. The HD version of Gottlieb Hall of Fame remains in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn74 View Post
    Compared to Pinball FX2, it's utter garbage. Ball physics are so bad.
    For those of you who might be on the fence about this title, please don't let this comment prevent you from purchasing it.

I have owned several of these cabinets over the years. This collection is the most faithful digital version available. Trick shots that work on the real machines can be performed on all of these tables.

The physics are much closer to what you would experience on a physical pinball machine. Zen's engine is excellent at what it does, but the ball is too zippy. Tables found in Zen Pinball and Pinball FX are generally smaller than actual machines, leading to greater ricochet and faster speeds. This causes most players to neglect a feature Zen has yet to model correctly: gravity.

On an actual pinball machine, the ball will frequently run out of inertia. It will appear to hang in the air, then begin to accelerate downwards at a rate of 9.8 m/s. This doesn't happen regularly on Zen's tables due to their slimmer design. When it does, the ball seems to glide downward at a constant velocity.

By comparison, I felt the physics in Pinball FX were garbage. Zen Pinball and Pinball FX 2 were a step in the right direction, but they still feel off. I'm sure they will continue to improve, but I enjoy the slight departure from realism. The features I enjoy in Zen's games would not be possible on actual pinball tables.

I can't believe this got 8/10 on Gamespot. And it looks like a Xbox/PS2 game graphics wise. IMO.
    Reviews are subjective. There is seldom any disclosure of how much experience authors have with a particular type of game. They will ultimately cave toward bias. It's best to ignore professional reviewers. Most of them are sycophantic shills who receive kickbacks from publishers.

The graphics are on par with a first generation Xbox 360 title, which is acceptable considering this is a remastered version of a game originally released on the Wii. I would be delighted if Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection (Xbox/PS2) looked this good.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

I agree with most of what Blue says here, with the only difference in opinion being the ball feels too floaty. I have also played many different physical pins, and while Hall of Fame is closer to real physics than FX2, I still don't think they nailed ball weight and gravity that well. They still play great, but if you compare vids of Hall of Fame play to their physical counterparts, the difference is easy to see.

It is still the best simulator of real tables you can find on consoles, so if you are a fan of Pinball, it's well worth the purchase.

Dude! You have two of my all time favourite PB tables there in full shot! Theatre of Magic and Star Trek, two all time classics as far as I am concerned.

And your right about the tables, very few places in the EU have tables in good working condition. Pinball tables arent as widespread over here as it is in the US. The ToM table I used to play had to be set to give extra credits per play because it would "forget" you had them stacked up. And the plunger spring was knackered.

It's a mixed bag.

I love playing Space Shuttle. (I'm a bonus multiplier h00r.)

But Medieval Madness is unplayable. The physics are just plain wrong, the lighting is lacking, and the flipper collision detection is broken.

Bowen has just put up another video tutorial, which could help those playing Taxi:

http://tiltwarning.com/blog/2011/08/hey-taxi/

BTW, PHOF has an incomplete Bride of Pinbot table file on disc...

If Zen do create a Zen Classics collection, they've got their work cut out for them. Emulation is one thing, but re-creating well known tables is another.
    Last edited by Womble; 08-03-2011 at 12:29 AM.

My copy arrived yesterday, and picked up four achievements while playing a game of the challenge mode (bombed out on Medieval Madness). It's fun. I enjoy playing the classic machines, and for me, the floaty ball mechanics don't detract from a fun experience. The sound & music are great too!

The graphics on this version look a lot better than the Williams Hall Of Fame (which I have on PS3) collection - they were last-gen graphics.

Williams Classics is a different experience from FX2, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad one.
    Last edited by Scotty Canuck; 08-03-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: fixed things

Im sure this would have sold more in the UK if you could actually buy it in some more places.

I havent seen it in a physical shop and many of the main online retailers like Amazon dont stock it. I got mine from Zavvi just a couple of weeks ago and now they dont even have it listed!
    Combined with the fact that there was almost zero publicity Id be surprised if this has sold more than a couple of thousand copies in the UK!

It was interesting to read Blues comments that these are more like real table physics than FX2 - its been a while since I played on a real table.

I must admit I found the physics strange but this could be because I am so used to FX2. I will definately go back to it soon though - probabaly after the Spiderman tournament.

Finally I must say I really like the bit when you are wandering round the arcade looking at the tables - I found it very nostalgic - great sound effects...

I have owned several of these cabinets over the years. This collection is the most faithful digital version available. Trick shots that work on the real machines can be performed on all of these tables.
    Interesting perspective... especially appreciate the point you made that I quoted above. What I take from it is that the compromise the developers made within the limitations they had with simulating real ball physics, was done specifically to allow the game play on a table to represent the real life counterpart rather than the ball physics "feeling" more real and the table not playing anywhere close to how you would play it in real life.

I don't have real life pinball experience so I just immediately focussed on the floaty ball physics. Thanks... this was enough to encourage me to give it a go again this morning before I came to work and I think I will now give it a proper shot again approaching it from this "true game play" perspective

If Zen do create a Zen Classics collection, they've got their work cut out for them. Emulation is one thing, but re-creating well known tables is another.
    Now that I better understand what the challenge is that Zen have on their hands with taking on the simulation of a real life table, I'm very interested to see how they are going to be able to recreate it so that the ball feel real and the game play is true to its real life counterpart without having to compromise on any aspect This is off-course assuming that the reference Mel made in his interview last week that Zen is speaking with classic table makers has to do with recreating real life tables - I hope it is

Quote Originally Posted by Alipan View Post
    Im sure this would have sold more in the UK if you could actually buy it in some more places.

I havent seen it in a physical shop and many of the main online retailers like Amazon dont stock it. I got mine from Zavvi just a couple of weeks ago and now they dont even have it listed!
    Yes, it's funny that after all those 'logistics problems' you can't just walk into a GAME store and pick a copy up, as they say it's online-only. I imagine online-only makes logistics very simple

I still find it far too floaty >.<...

I enjoy it for the tables and the sounds; and it certainly isn't bad. The ball just needs more weight to it. Real pinballs don't bounce around in that manner.

It's a shame that Zen didn't release this, because they do their best to listen to their community. If it were a Zen product, I reckon the physics would have been tweaked by now. Like Blue said, it just needs a bit more gravity.

I'm lovin' Taxi

I tried it again for a couple of hours... quite enjoyed Whirlwind but in the end all I could think off was that I would rather want to play FX 2. I just don't have that nostalgic connection to these tables that would be required to make you see past the crappy ball physics and keep on playing. I never quite feel in control of the ball... even if I aim for a ramp and hit it, it still feels like luck in a strange way.

Good for you if you are enjoying this game... its just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    I tried it again for a couple of hours... quite enjoyed Whirlwind but in the end all I could think off was that I would rather want to play FX 2. I just don't have that nostalgic connection to these tables that would be required to make you see past the crappy ball physics and keep on playing. I never quite feel in control of the ball... even if I aim for a ramp and hit it, it still feels like luck in a strange way.

Good for you if you are enjoying this game... its just not for me.
    Don't give up Cloda!

I think we should accept the game for what it is, because if we keep thinking about how bad so and so is... then how can any enjoyment occur within.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

So you couldn't get any enjoyment out of the game? ah well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I still find enjoyment from playing it, yes its not a Zens Engine etc but I still can have a blast locally with a few mates etc.
    If I had bought this game before Pinball FX2 came out I would've been delighted. I've been wanting a decent pinball game since playing True Pinball on the original Playstation. I guess I've been kind of spoiled by Zen because the two games are miles apart in quality. Like the difference between a Mcdonalds meal and dining in a fine restaurant. Yeah, the McDonalds tastes kind of nice, but deep down you know that it's below average.

I'll still play WPC from time to time just to get an idea of what some real life tables play like becuase I want to own a couple of real ones some day.
    Last edited by Flynn74; 08-07-2011 at 10:53 PM.

@Flynn74
    Yeh I agree with you m8.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I for one can really dig this game and love the challenge.
    Btw, just scored 10m on pinbot

Wasn't sure at first, but now I actually prefer WPC to PFX. Yes, I would agree that graphically Zen has the edge (no ball reflections in WPC for example) but WPC feels more 'real' and true to a physical table than any of the ZEN tables. Still love PFX though, don't get me wrong, it's just WPC seems more authentic.

ye but how real is the ballphysik ? the last time im standing on a pinball table was in the year 1996^^

wpc is a cool game, i think i can get the first place on taxi in the next time

but not every table has kickbacks at the outlanes or only at one outlane that annoying me

question to zen i think excalibur was inspirate from medievil madness?

and pasha from arabian nights? the book of tales rescue the princess^^

camel race
    Last edited by Weedstar DeLuxe; 08-22-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    sry for my really bad english

Default Farsight - New Tables

From Facebook:

FarSight Studios is extremely proud to announce that we will be releasing a new pinball game in early 2012! We’ve been busy acquiring licenses, building new tables, and developing our technology on many platforms (including iPhone, iPad, and Android). We welcome all comments and table suggestions (we keep a running tally of all requests). We want to ensure that our game will be the definitive collection of classic pinball! Stay tuned for updates over the next few months!
    This is welcome news.

(But keep in mind that FarSight's shipping dates are Valve-esque. Could be late 2013 or never.)

Since Zen has recently talked about classic tables, it'll be interesting to see which company picks up which titles.

IMO, if FarSight really do want to have the "definitive" collection, they need to:

- substantially improve the physics, remove the moonballing
    - overhaul the PS2-level interface
    - remove tedious interface obstructions (e.g. "Game Loaded! Press A to continue".)
    - improve the table visuals, esp. texture quality and filtering
    - fix bugs
    - improve their customer relations
    Last edited by Womble; 09-01-2011 at 11:49 PM.

This is indeed good news IF they fix floaty/bouncing ball problems, Again i live in the UK so look forward to this in the year 3000

Would be great if ZEN could give us a bit more info if they have got any licence for "REAL" tables and maybe a hint at the company they are working with (if any)

I hope they don't take as long as they did with the UK/EU release of Pinball Hall of Fame : Williams Collection. Which was renamed Williams Pinball Classics.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

From Facebook:

<snip>

This is welcome news.

(But keep in mind that FarSight's shipping dates are Valve-esque. Could be late 2013 or never.)
    I hope this is the Bally edition. I would love to see Theater of Magic and Attack From Mars in the collection.
    Last edited by shogun00; 09-02-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast