Thread: Zen Board Member Excalibur Table Challenge

Default Zen Board Member Excalibur Table Challenge

Who is up for a challenge? Tired of playing for hours to boost your super score?
    Instead, let's try to find out if Excalibur has a wizard/frenzy mode!
    The goal is to try to beat the 5 main missions in a single game and see if it triggers a Wizard Mode or Frenzy mode. Missions and info from my guide are pasted below...who wants to give it a shot? It is only 5 missions, if we simply concentrate on completing the missions, we should be able to uncover this mystery. Sorry, there is no prize for this contest unless maybe Cracker would step up and offer a early code to the "winner."

There are 5 tales:

Sir Lancelot
    You must find Guinevere and rescue her from her prison before the timer runs out. The dot matrix will display 3 locked doors. To find the door that is holding the damsel, locate the one with the biggest lock on the dot matrix (Left is the Left Orbit, Middle is the Excalibur and Right is Mordred's Ramp). Hit the corresponding ramp/orbit to advance to the next floor. Alternately, the Ramp/Orbit that is lit at the start of each floor is the one you are required to hit. If you hit a different ramp/Orbit, you will unlock one of the three other doors. get points and light other ramps but you will still need to hit the initial ramp to advance. Upon finding Guinevere on the 7th floor, the tale will be completed and you are awarded 20 Million Points.

King Arthur
    You will need to perform a combo of 10 Excalibur ramp shots to complete this mission. There is a timer, but upon starting a combo, it will freeze. Failing to hit the ramp in time to keep the combo going will restart the timer and you will have to begin again. However, you will still get credit for the number of combos you have hit up to that points.

Sir Kay
    To complete this Tale, you must follow that path indicated on the DMD. If the dot matrix tells you to go left, make sure the captured ball is on the left side of the ramp before hitting it. And vice versa for the right path. Take the correct path 4 times for the beast to appear under Mordred's ramp. You must then hit the beast and then repeat the path process a second time to complete the mission. Tip Via Nekro Neko - Sir Kay can be done very easily by getting two balls on the left flipper and then doing a quick backslap shot, this sends the top ball toward the hole almost every time. Give it a try.

Sir Gawain
    In order to complete this mission you must hit 15 orbit shots before the timer runs out. These must be complete orbit shots, any shot that falls onto the D U B rollovers does NOT count. Alternating the orbits to start a combo MAY advance this quicker, requiring less that 15 shots to complete. Note: I did this mission by just hitting the right orbit and it took less that 15 shots. Reward is 5 Million.

Sir Percival
    This is a 2 ball-multiball challenge. When this mission starts, the secret path to Morgana's Lair on the left side of the table will be open. You need to shoot the glowing ball into Morgana's Lair 3 times in order to complete the tale. Losing one of the two balls will end this Tale.

I'm never going to be able to hit the excalibur ramp 10 times in a row. 5-7 maybe. It's not that it's hard a ramp to hit - just 10 times in a row is asking a bit much of my pinball skills. The best I've done is 4 or 5 before I inadvertantly hit another ramp. No problems with any other of the other quests and the grail quest. Ditto Marching to battle. Just need to put it all together to get 100m+ score on this table. Not far away now.

Sorry, doubt I'll be able to help with the wizard mode frenzy. I'd really like to see this one. Brilliant table. Possibly now my favourite.

Tough ask... I haven't been able to do it yet but seeing as I recently finally managed to beat Ultimo , it might be time for me to give it another shot. There are four tables left for me where I am still trying to get to Wizard mode - Spiderman, Earth Defence, Excalibur and Street Fighter II.

Spiderman.... Earth Defence - can't believe you need to activate both kick-backs in one ball to complete one of the modes. Street Fighter II - the damn spin on the ball on that table is driving me crazy... the ball's got a life of its own. Excalibur is just really tough - especially as you can't keep the kickbacks activated without a lot of hassles.

PS: Spiderman was meant as a bit of a joke... if you can't reach Spiderman's Wizard mode, you might as well not try any of the other tables.

Excalibur is one of my worst tables. I haven't put a whole lot of time into it, but wouldn't mind trying to learn it a little more. I like the table a lot though. My main gripe with this table is spelling TALE to start a mission. The "E" is a really tough shot... Any tips?

I will give it a go until Captain America comes out. Hopefully we can make some progress on this and truly discover if there is a wizard mode for this killer table. If I had to make a wager, I would say there is def something that happens once you complete all the tales.

I kind of wish that every table had a 30 point achievement for beating the wizard mode. There are still a few I haven't reached yet on the newer tables (SoTD, Rome) and just about every classic table.

I would like to know this as well... ive tried this several times, but that e is killing me as well (litterally via the right outlane). I trie to hit it from the left upper flipper (not getting skill shot or ball lock), but this doesnt fel right for obvious reasons..

Cant crackervizzo or solitude just tell us? Id hate to find out there is no wizard/frenzy whatsoever, although i really doubt this.

Btw, i dont like Arthur and kay.. The excalibur ramp is a dangerous ramp to miss and those kickback targets arent very friendly either. But ill give it another go none the less (and might even increase my superscore in the process)

M..............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFer!

I got all of them done today, except one. THE EASIEST ONE. I drained doing Sir Lancelot's quest. Big let down considering I'd just beaten Sir Percival for the first time. What I SHOULD have done, was **** up the castle first to get an extra ball...THEN done it. One more ball and I'd have kicked this table's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by UranusIsBroken View Post
    M..............FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFer!

I got all of them done today, except one. THE EASIEST ONE. I drained doing Sir Lancelot's quest. Big let down considering I'd just beaten Sir Percival for the first time. What I SHOULD have done, was **** up the castle first to get an extra ball...THEN done it. One more ball and I'd have kicked this table's ass.
    Thats too bad. I was thinking of just setting the table to more balls, but that would give me a false sense of accomplishment if i got there.

Quote Originally Posted by jop87 View Post
    Thats too bad. I was thinking of just setting the table to more balls, but that would give me a false sense of accomplishment if i got there.
    At least you'll be able to confirm, if there is even a Wizard Mode on the table.

I bet Ancient of War has beaten the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    I bet Ancient of War has beaten the table.
    Yeah, me too. But I don't speak Japanese, so I can't ask him. LOL A score of BILLIONS on a table like Excalibur, with no save feature, is just...wow. Retarded. If there's no wizard mode, meaning...at no time do you enter a mode where you can rack up astronomical point totals, then his Excalibur score represents one of the biggest grinds a pinball table has surely ever seen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this table does not have the Operator's menu like the FX2/Marvel releases, so that is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but this table does not have the Operator's menu like the FX2/Marvel releases, so that is not an option.
    Correct. That is the FIRST thing I checked when I saw your challenge.

Cant crackervizzo or solitude just tell us? Id hate to find out there is no wizard/frenzy whatsoever, although i really doubt this.
    What fun would that be?

Well, I have failed at my own challenge so far, best I have done is 3/5. Lancelot, Arthur and Gawain.

Well, I checked the leaderboards of Excalibur last night and came to two conclusions - 1.) It has a score glitch somewhere (Check out the insane high scores with some players who have not ranked highly on any other table). 2.) I still want to know if it has a wizard mode LOL

Any ideas on the scoring glitch? I have put tons of time in this table and have not seen any weird stuck balls or scoring issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierdwit View Post
    Well, I checked the leaderboards of Excalibur last night and came to two conclusions - 1.) It has a score glitch somewhere (Check out the insane high scores with some players who have not ranked highly on any other table). 2.) I still want to know if it has a wizard mode LOL

Any ideas on the scoring glitch? I have put tons of time in this table and have not seen any weird stuck balls or scoring issues.
    It is possible they really like Excalibur to the point that they don't bother with the other tables.

Aurthur is bad but it's not really 10 shots "in a row" it's more like a combo, you have maby 10 seconds in between each shot. My problem is the drains when you brick the shot.

Can't realy think of any way to hit the "E" on demand. I normally just end up getting it from missed skill shots/merlins ramp shots.

It is possible they really like Excalibur to the point that they don't bother with the other tables.
    No, it's not. Even if it IS, it's not.

There's no way you're top 10 on one table and in the hundreds and thousands on ALL of the other tables.

For the record, there is ZERO game save on Excalibur. My score of 297M took nearly 5 hours, and I completed the Joust three times, Damsel in Distress three times, the Holy Grail and Questing the Beast assignments a half a dozen times a peace. I had the 10x multiplier on 2 different balls. I had Merlin's multiball 3 or 4 times. I defeated all of the Knight's Tales except Gawain. I took down the castle at LEAST 3 times, and went in through the castle door a couple more times. I mean...I'm not a pro, but the fact is, my score is high because I put in an INSANE amount of time on the table. Look at the scores of some of the more prolific players for this table, I even have some of THEM beat. I can't imagine there's someone out there that's 10-15x better on this table than these guys.

I hit the 'E' by shooting it with the left flipper through the right inlane.
    If u do it right it will hit the E

It takes some practise though

U have to tap the flipper because if u hit it wrong he hits the slingshot and drains.

I took that into account but when their other scores barely top 10m on the other tables....Sorry, it just doesn't add up. If you can be at the top of the Excalibur leader boards, you SHOULD have the skills to break 10m on other tables, even if you only played them a few times. And if you loved Excalibur enough to master it, you think you would have at least bought a few other tables to try them out?