Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue

My initial impressions
    Moon Knight Ftw, got into a flow right away on this table. Loving the cut scenes, just missed the wizard mode. The sound effect when it hits the slingshots is epic.
    Xmen had a harder time with this one, wasn't always sure what I was supposed to do.
    ghost rider
    love the look of this, it just gives off a bad ass vibe. Love that shotty.
    Thor
    Pure eye candy, just freaking lovely. Only played once so not much else to say
    Moon Knight is far and away my favorite, it just clicks with my style of play. You can upgrade your HQ too, for more points on orbits and ramps. I was getting extra balls like crazy so some of you hardcore dudes might not like it as much as I did. The crossbow and thug mini games are sweet. Though level 5 of the thug mini game is freaking hard.
    Loving This 4 pack, so much more to explore.
    Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of pinball!

Quote Originally Posted by Alipan View Post
    Any sense yet of whether there are any tables in the Rome / Blade / Iron Man level of difficulty?
    Thor! I played that table for an hour and I still couldn't get any of the trophies/achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Thor! I played that table for an hour and I still couldn't get any of the trophies/achievements.
    Thor is an odd one. You have plenty of time to do most of the missions; but they all seem to require a series of extremely precise shots. I managed to complete 2 of the missions so far.

Thor is going to be my focus first I think. I just really like the flow; a lot of middle drains on it though so it requires a good amount of nudging.

By the way. I have managed to do bang-backs (returning the ball through the center after a side drain via a nudge) on 2 of the 4 tables so far; really nice that this is possible with relative ease.
    My Youtube channel I have started, Playthroughs, game chatter - that sort of thing

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNDpP...el_video_title

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    Thor is an odd one. You have plenty of time to do most of the missions; but they all seem to require a series of extremely precise shots. I managed to complete 2 of the missions so far.
    I was able to complete 3 missions and when I was about to complete the forth one, I ran into a game breaking glitch (URN hole was unresponsive). That's when I called it a night.

Really liking the new tables. Until I get used to them, I'm really going to have to pay extra attention on Moon Knight, if I'm looking at the ramps trying to plan a little ahead, I've lost track of the ball because of the table art being so similar in color as the ball.

Two minor observations on Ghost Rider. It seems to be extremely stingy with the end of ball bonuses. Also, I didn't notice anywhere on the table that tells you what your bonus multiplier is.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

I had a quick run thro the Tables as well before I had to go out.

Ghost Rider seems very unique, I enjoyed the flow and the Mission but I think the Table suffers from the colour scheme imo... I was unable to hit things because by the time I saw the light it was time out.

Thor this Table really gives you the feel of connecting Worlds, it honestly feels like 3 Tables in one.... Oddly the view 1W feels like view 6 or something this is mostly because of the amount of stuff in the Table.

Xmen this kinder remains me of Iron Man for some reason, but boy there is so much eye candy on the Table.

Moon Knight is defo awesome with its cutscenes etc. The flow of the Table is nice and the SFX of the Table is just pure awesome.

Overall this pack is pure awesome and a steal at 800MS PTS, I will just need to get used to the Colour Scheme of the Tables.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

I've played the tables for a while today and wow, pretty amazing as usual!

I think Moon Knight is my fav sofar! It might not look like something special at first but holy crap, there was so much happening once I got going and it was a wild ride haha, great cutscenes too!

Thor is a pretty table as well but man, some seemingly easy shots are pretty hard but this is great after a few easy table releases! No bitching about easy achievements this time I guess

Ghost Rider is quite unique, I haven't played it much yet but it looks pretty cool, probably my least favourite at first glance though!

X-Men is extremely colourful but once your eyes adjust it's another great table, it's a lot of fun to battle with Magneto. The only thing I miss is 'Welcome to die!'

All in all a very good first impression for me, I can't wait to play them more!
    Last edited by Extrema22; 12-14-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrema22 View Post

The only thing I miss is 'Welcome to die!'
    LMAO, I love it when Deadpool says that to Magneto in MVC3. I remember the other one 'Playtime Ended!'

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I like Thor so far... seems to be the one that is most straight forward to get to Wizard mode... I made it to Wizard mode but kind of freaked out when I got there So, this will be the first table that I will try to beat Wizard mode. Table could have been much harder but they give you some help along the way e.g. for the side flipper shots in the missions you only need to hit the missions targets and the ball will be released at a good place to hit the side ramp.

Moon Knight looks absolutely awesome! Have no idea yet what is going on there... all I know is that there is so much happening on that table and I assume you have to spell Moon Knight by completing missions etc. before you will get to the Wizard mode (haven't read the rule sheet yet). The cinematics and interactiveness is really awesome!!!

Xmen and Ghost Rider both looks great and has a nice flow to it but I have not spent enough time on them yet to say much. Have to look at the rule sheets to make sense of them... especially Ghost Rider. I like that Xmen tell you verbally what you need to shoot at... very cool!

Ghost Rider and Moon Knight though are the two tables that seem to have fresh layouts witch I really appreciate.

All in all I can see many many hours being sunk into these tables by me... very happy
    Last edited by Cloda; 12-14-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Had a quick go on all the tables and enjoyed them all.

Ghost Rider is a classic pinball theme - motorbikes, fire, skulls, rock guitar - very pleasing.

Moon Knight seems even more complicated than Blade - I have no idea what is going on but I like it!

Will definitely be spending a lot of time with this over Xmas.....

Default One more freaking hour..

... been drooling over the forum all day long waiting to get home and get this pack (@work/school), stupid finals week adds another hour of work, so I've been "listening" to you all go on for EIGHT hours already, with one more to go before I get home. Just thought you should all know how maddening this has been today (*chomp*chomp*chomp@the bit)

I'm really liking Moon Knight, I figured that one would be my favorite just from the trailers, it is so far. It flows nicely, I love the music, the color scheme is not too flashy. Didn't get any missions done but I activated 3 of them. Fun stuff all around.

Thor, I played one game and ended up with a score of 96M (probably not high by this board's standards, but for my first shot on a table I thought it was a nice score). Finished like 3-4 missions and activated a few more. This is by far the most visually appealing table of the four pack, and the layout is not too cluttered at all. Some shots are quite difficult, but some are supposed to be. I just like the flow of Moon Knight a bit more.

X-Men seems to be pretty cluttered. I like the X-Men inspired music, the color scheme leaves a bit to be desired BUT, its X-Men's colors so I can't complain about that. Some of the ramps/targets just seem like way too much of a pain to hit. Didn't get very far into this table, but I'm not the biggest fan at the moment.

Ghost Rider. Where to begin with Ghost Rider... The music is a fun change from most Zen tables, I used to be a Manson fan in my younger days, so that's a nice throwback. The shotgun effect is awesome. But honestly, that's about where my praises end for this table. Its way too cluttered, way too flashy and I honestly don't understand the basic rule set of the table at all.

Keep in mind these are VERY early first impressions. I wanted to try each table once to see which one I wanted to do work on. My roommate is at work, and we always play the new tables together, so I'm going to wait for him to get home before REALLY getting into the new four pack.

On a side note, a big to all of you PS3 junkies who got Epic Quest early. That's the one I've been drooling over most. I just refuse to buy tables on the PS3 because Zen Pinball needs a helmet when it comes to releasing DLC. I don't want to HAVE to buy Zen Pinball to get Epic Quest. Sony really needs to do something about that. I love that FX2 was free and allowed me to not only demo anything for free, but also buy INDIVIDUAL tables and four packs WITHOUT buying the core. That's marketing correctly in my opinion.

I had time to play each of the tables a couple of times and my overall impression is that this set is really awesome. For the individual tables:

Ghost Rider:

For me, "only" the 4th awesomest table of the pack. I'm not a big fan of the Lucipher-throws-the ball-at-you minigame and I loose balls there almost every time, so the game is interrupted by saved balls quite a lot.
    Activating missions is quite simple. What I didn't get is that after I played a mission -without completing it- the lights like "The Orb" or "Scarecrow" still remained lit. Does it mean that this is like Sorc's Lair and starting the missions is the only thing needed?

X-Men:

This table is really cool. There is so much to do that my biggest enemy is my own indecisiveness in choosing what to do first.
    And if I understand the rule sheet correctly there are 4 separate wizard modes after completing multiple targets and only after you did each mode, there is a final battle against Magneto. There is just so much to do and going on. This will keep me busy for a long while.

Moon Knight:

The most pleasent surprise for me as a Marvel fan was the heavy involvement of Khonshu on the table. The dialogues between the stern Moon Knight and his crazy god of vengeance are one of the highlights of the franchise and the table reflects this relationship well.
    The table itself is beautifully lit and looks amazing. The most balls I lost in the first games were from being distracted by all that is going on on the table and by trying to understand, what to do next.
    But after a few games I got a better grip. There are a lot of missions on the table as well, 4 via the left ramp, 4 via the right and the 4 boss fights activated by the left mini orbit.
    The way the bosses are introduced give alittle history of Moon Knight's previous encounters with them and combined with the opening cut scenes add a lot to the flavour of the table.

The only thing I'm not that psyched about are the glowing multiballs during the Moon Copter multiball. I had difficulties to see, if a ball is still on the tip of the flipper or already too far and going down the drain. Therefore I tend to hit most of the balls to early in fear of loosing them.

Thor:

For me, Thor is a truly epic experience. I really like the art on the table and the way it plays.
    If I were good enough, I could amp jackpots via lanes, before entering the missions and get great results. I like that kind of concept. Beside the Asgard missions, Surtur and Hel modes are fun as well.

Another big plus of the table is the sound. I really dig the roar of the Midgard serpent, when the ball rolls down their lane, Odin's comments and Surtur's growling.
    I also like the little Fire & Ice subtheme, the table has going on. Often you need to to do something on the opposite side of the table first -firing up a ball in the fire are- before you can achieve something in your mission area. I like that.

All in all, this is a great pack. At the moment, Thor feels to me like a very close winner, before Moon Knight and X-Men with Ghost Rider lagging a bit behind.

Quote Originally Posted by E113 View Post
    Sony really needs to do something about that. I love that FX2 was free and allowed me to not only demo anything for free, but also buy INDIVIDUAL tables and four packs WITHOUT buying the core. That's marketing correctly in my opinion.
    That's something Zen needs to do and they will with Zen Pinball 2.

I am sad panda, realised I have no MSP available to try V&V with. Great planning on my part...

Feel for me while you hit those ramps.

My thoughts on Ghost Rider, since this is my fav table after a really quick playthrough of the four:

Seems to be a very easy table, due to the fact that you don't need to complete missions in order for them to count. Therefore it's really simple to get up to wizard mode, just start each of the four missions.

Starting a mission involves tiling the orbit stunt ramp, so if you hit the right side before, you need to switch to the left side to re-tilt the ramp. They don't do a good job of explaining in the directions (as usual).....

I like how gambling is involved with both the flaming catch minigame, and Mephisto's mission. If you gain confidence, you can try for the higher points. Oh, and in Meph's mission, if you hear him say "my turn", don't hit the flipper at all, he takes a shot. This feels odd at first, but trust me, the ball won't drain. On the "hard" mode of the mission, he takes a lot in a row...

The middle ramp shot is the only major danger, as it can send a SDTM flying back at you.

Catching a flaming bonus ball is a matter of hitting both flippers at the right timing - just as the ball would hit the top center of the two raised flippers.

Multiball is very easy to trigger, and seems to even get in the way a bit. People say this is a low scoring table, however I can see scores in the billions once people learn the table - multiple wizard modes easily achieved.

Edit: When fighting the final boss (forget his name), if you time out you lose and have to start the missions all over again, however if you drain you start at him next ball. Also, for the achievement, you not only need to beat him, but also win each mission too......
    Last edited by Postman; 12-15-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I am sad panda, realised I have no MSP available to try V&V with. Great planning on my part...

Feel for me while you hit those ramps.
    Same here and money is super tight this month after bills and gifts. I will just play the demos a few more times. I will buy them as soon as I can. Looks like a blast ^_^

Exclamation

ALL of these tables are so refreshing. Thank you for not including frustrating tables like Iron Man and Wolverine.
    Last edited by lasvegaspinballhalloffame; 12-15-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    The middle ramp shot is the only major danger, as it can send a SDTM flying back at you.
    Just like Wolverine, the ball save turns on for 2-3 seconds when you hit that (JUMP) ramp.

I'm going to play the tables in order of what I perceive to be the earliest to the most difficult to beat Wizard mode - Thor, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight and Xmen.

Reached Wizard mode on first three... clueless on X-men but saw a nice post explaining it on the PS3 side... there is hope

I just received an XBL message that a certain eviloer (ends with 'chin') has beaten my score on Thor.

Only problem is I haven't played Thor, or any other V&V table.

Harsh, xbox, harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    Reached Wizard mode on first three... clueless on X-men but saw a nice post explaining it on the PS3 side... there is hope
    Yep, I normally post here, as I'm playing mainly on the X-Box, but Shogun asked in the PS3 forum and I just wrapped my head around X-Men, so I posted it there. But as the majority of the active forum members are reading here, I simplay repeat, what I think to have figured out by the rule sheet:

Your goal is to get to the wizard mode. To do this you have to spell the four letters X-MEN.

Each of the letters has a corresponding mini wizard mode of it's own. To get to these 4 mini wizard modes you have to to the following:

1. Phoenix Force mini wizard mode:

You have to recruit the entire team via the Unite or Cerebro process.

2. Final Clash mini wizard mode:

You have to complete the four story missions, which are represented by the circled mission symbols at the bottom end of the table.

3. Danger room mini wizard mode:

You have to complete the three villain missions, defeating Blob, Mystique and Juggernaut. After you finish each individual mission you can lock a ball into the danger room via the Wolverine left orbit. Whenn all three balls are locked, the mode starts.

4. Omega Hurry Up mini wizard mode

When you recruit the individual X-Men via Cerebro or Unite, they all give you a little gift, like kickbacks, hold multiplier etc.
    Three of them (Cyclops, Storm and Colossus) also do "upgrades" to the playing field.
    Cyclops lets you perform Super Blast Skill Shots, Storm activates the round weather thingy, which can be charged by the Storm spinner and for Colossus you need to hit the bumpers.
    After these 3 upgrades are fully completed, you get the mini wizard mode.

This is an incredible pack of tables. I love the guitar music on GR the quality of the audio is incredibly high on all the tables. X men sounds like a feature movie and thats just through my standard TV speakers...Thanks ZEN i now need to hook up my TV to an audio system or buy some good quality headphones.
    overall very very impressed. And no after playing a couple of games on each table without looking at the rule sheets i ain't got a clue what im doing

I just received an XBL message that a certain eviloer (ends with 'chin') has beaten my score on Thor.

Harsh, xbox, harsh.
    LOL, thats comedy gold... a great way to rub in the fact that you dont have the tables yet

Maybe Santa will get you some space dollars for christmas?

Back after a few more games on each tables ...

Once again , they've done it !

Capturing the essence of the characters on a pinball table.
    I couldn't see it at first but after e few games and knowing a bit better what you're doing with the ball, layouts, flow, audio etc are spot on with the character portrayed..... this will always amaze me how zen can 'translate' a character or them into ...Well... pinball mechanics.

I was a bit sceptical about ghost rider and moon knight seemed a bit too cryptic at first, but not anymore.

They may be my 4 favorites marvel tables in the end ! 800 pts well spent.

Went back to playing Blade for a bit last night and was struck by how difficult it was.

I dont think any of the new tables are of that level of difficulty, they all seem a lot easier to keep the ball alive. The main obstacle at the moment is that people just dont understand what they are supposed to be doing.

My intial impression of all the tables is favourable but Im sure over the coming weeks we will get a much better impression of all their good points and flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Alipan View Post
    Went back to playing Blade for a bit last night and was struck by how difficult it was.

I dont think any of the new tables are of that level of difficulty, they all seem a lot easier to keep the ball alive. The main obstacle at the moment is that people just dont understand what they are supposed to be doing.

My intial impression of all the tables is favourable but Im sure over the coming weeks we will get a much better impression of all their good points and flaws.
    Its funny because I thought that Zen hit it perfect with these tables. I wouldn't consider any of them easy. I just think everyone is better players and its always going to be hard to get that 'brutal difficulty' back. Not saying your wrong though, just my thoughts but I would put Moon Knight and Blade in the same category in regards to difficulty and the way you "spell out MOON KNIGHT to "reveal" who is really causing the problems is similar to "spell DRACULA" on Blade to reveal whos behind everything also are similar. Again just my thoughts.

I think the difficulty in these tables comes from their complexity. The most basic seems like Thor but to a novice player a this would seem complex. I would hate to see a novice try and figure out X-men or Moon Knight.

So far the surprise for me has definitely been X-men. From all the previews I didn't get a sense at all for the table and as far as I know the only way to earn an extra ball is by lighting all XMEN letters. This means beating 4 mini wizard modes! Possibly "Xaviers gift" could at some point but everytime I have done it, he just seems to light up one of the X-men in that 'hurry up' mode. It really is a players table.

For beginner players I would say this pack would be a nightmare. The tables are all in the reasonable difficulty range but their complexity leaves them out of reach of all but the most dedicated and advanced/intermediate players. This doesn't phase me in the slightest though, I already feel this is Zens best work, rivaling Blade. These tables will keep me going for ages and i am sure my favourite may change but right now X-men and Moon Knight are my standouts while Ghost Rider and Thor are still amazing tables.
    Last edited by OzV1; 12-15-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OzV1 View Post
    Awesome preview. Its also the clear that the guy previewing it knows the game, giving it alot more credibility.

Judging from the pictures and what I have read and seen, I am think Thor may just be the table that can match the level that Blade did. I could be completely wrong though as they all look awesome. I am glad we are going back to the 4 pack release. The single tables are cool but this feels like getting a new game entirely and it also gives Zen the ability to throw in some tables with a little upscaled difficulty.

My comparisons would go like this-

Avengers will be like the Wolverine table. Not too hard to score and offers medium challenge levels.

Ghost Rider could possibly be the Spiderman. High scoring and more fast and flowing. Would fit that theme anyway.

Moon Knight will be the Ironman, basic in style of layout but hard in terms of keeping ball in play. Disciplined play will be needed judging by the pics.

Thor will be the Blade. Epic in just every way imaginable. Difficulty level may match Blade, as it looks like a table that will need some practice to really excel at.

Of course these are all just pretty much guesses but just some thoughts I had. I really can't wait to play these tables. I with the guy above "Marilyn Manson style soundtrack!", that really does sound awesome woth Ghost rider.
    My thoughts on the previous page I was wrong on a couple of things, here would be my adjusted opinion on the new tables

X-Men- Hard to compare to anything else so far. Very unique in the way it uses
    4 mini wizard modes for table completion. The only comparison I could
    make would be to Ironman with its stingyness on extra balls (I actually
    like this) and Wolverine in its visuals.

Ghost Rider- Limited playtime but again really hard to make any comparisons

Moon Knight- Like I said above I think of this as the new Blade. The mission and
    task structure to get to (i assume) a high scoring wizard mode is
    pretty much the same and although I haven't had a ton of time on
    it, the stock price buy/sell may be similar to energy/dollars in
    Blade.

Thor- Again not too much play but did feel like a nicer looking, slightly more
    forgiving Ironman style table. 3 shots to a central hole to start missions
    and I noticed the ball loved the outlanes. Anyone else notice the main
    soundtrack for this table is a variation of one of the Ironman mission
    tunes? I may be wrong but it sounds very similar.

Okay, so I just beat wizard mode on Moon Knight. Man did that feel good. I've pretty much been neglecting all of the other tables besides Thor. Every now and again I was going to that when I got frustrated with Moon Knight.

The table is simply brilliant, by far my favorite of the pack. I love the music, the death saves are relatively easy, but still tricky to obtain. The missions aren't very hard, but there's plenty of them to keep you occupied. The hidden moon play field is a pretty nice change of pace and is easily accessible. Just an amazing overall table, I can't praise it enough. Zen, you have outdone yourself on this one. Moon Knight wins the V&V trophy for best in show.

On a side note:
    Somehow I didn't get the Fist of Khonshu achievement and my thug count is way over 100. Does it all have to be in one game? Or is it stupid like Ms. Splosion Man where if it doesn't land exactly on 100 it doesn't pop? Some info would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* So I had the game paused when I posted this. Needed a break after wizard mode. Ended up finishining out the game. I was curious where my score put me on the leader boards after that epic battle (not the wizard mode, me vs. the table). Ranked #3 on the leader boards? Never been that close on any table in my life. Feels good for a change. Thanks, Moon Knight table, for inspiring me.
    Last edited by E113; 12-15-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: More info.

Harsh, xbox, harsh.
    Pfft...that's nothing. Try being the first one to buy the table pack from your friends list.

I bought the table pack right away on the PS3. No one on my friends list had it yet. The game's notification system decided to display the highest Hero Score for my goal instead.

It wasn't fun seeing Hypno74's Hero Score in the billions and the game is saying "only 510,***,***,*** to go" and it is keeping track of it point by point.

Talking about rubbing the score in my face. I was forced to turn off the notifications on the game. Sheesh!
    Last edited by shogun00; 12-15-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Thor- Again not too much play but did feel like a nicer looking, slightly more
    forgiving Ironman style table. 3 shots to a central hole to start missions
    and I noticed the ball loved the outlanes. Anyone else notice the main
    soundtrack for this table is a variation of one of the Ironman mission
    tunes? I may be wrong but it sounds very similar.
    Yes! I also noticed that some of the music is similar to Iron Man. The wizard mode also very similar to Iron Man. It's a multiball mission with very difficult shots. If you lose the multiball, then you have to start all over again.

Of course!

Volwerine creators created Ghost rider,
    Iron Man creators created Thor,
    F4 creators created X-Men

Not sure about the creators of Moon Knight because I haven't tried the table yet.
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oskari14 View Post
    Not sure about the creators of Moon Knight, because I haven't tried the table yet.
    That would be from the creators of Blade.

Harsh, xbox, harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Canuck View Post
    LOL, thats comedy gold... a great way to rub in the fact that you dont have the tables yet

Maybe Santa will get you some space dollars for christmas?
    Yeh I burst out laughing when Womble sent me a reply saying I don't have the Pack. Sorry Womble, thought you where getting the Pack?

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

First impressions:

- All but the X-Men table feel 'shorter' (Thor and GR especially). As in, not as deep from bottom to top. Rome and FF feel much 'longer'. Not a complaint, just an observation.

- The flipper sounds are different and louder than the other Marvel tables. Sort of irritating.

- Maybe caused by the 'shortness', but I feel like the ball picks up/keeps speed much more easily.

- Visually crowded/noisy. Thor and GR especially. At worst, a minor drawback that makes learning tables a bit harder.

Ghost Rider is my least favorite, but that my grow on me as I learn the unique mechanics (the dead soul mini play area where the flipper points down?).

Thor is the most 'fun', because there's so much visual coolness. Mission animations, the volcano bumpers, Surtur/Ymir, the Rainbow Bridge...

X-Men is the 'deepest' in that there's an over-arching story, and about 400 missions. Is it 7 X-Men? 3 Villains? The Magneto ones? Having the in/outlanes up the bonus and not the ball saves is cool, as is the skill shot. It's also comparatively clean and open.

Moon Knight is strange. The villain missions are relatively easy. The non-pinball mini-missions (boxing, crossbow...) may get old as gimmicks over time. The on-table mini-missions can feel confusing at times, especially how you activate/select one (does hitting either sign ramp change the active one but keep the center hole hit count in place?). The stock market mission is hectic, as is the police scanner.

I like the Moon bridge element, even if I don't yet have any idea what the mini-playfield bit means in terms of game play. I do like that you can quit out of the various 'cut scenes' though. I guess I think of Moon Knight as the table I play to 'relax' compared to Thor/Ghost Rider.

I don't hate any of them, so it's a big win for me as a bundle.

I'll list my impressions also.

Thor - Truthfully I didn't spend a lot of time with the table, but my first impression is 'no thank you'. As I read other's comments, the similarities between this table and Iron Man (including the music, which was a spot on assessment) are too striking and although Iron Man as a standalone table in the first Marvel pack was an interesting attempt, I didn't want to see another one. I do like the actual non-music table audio for this table though and the voice acting is great. I'll spend some more time with it, but I think there's better gameplay on the other three tables. My view for this table is VIEW 5.

Moon Knight - Only played one (very long) game on this table. I did not read the rule sheet, I didn't pause and take a look around, I just played old fashioned smashball here. Before I knew it I had extra balls galore and there were strange (weightless fiery balls and glowing white balls) multiballs occurring quite often. I find the color choice for the table to be odd but in a positive way. I felt controlling the ball on this table was very doable and honestly it was just fun to play, even not knowing what the hell was going on. I plan to spend a lot more time with this table and learn the secrets it keeps. My view for this table is VIEW 3.

Ghost Rider - The first table I played and I have to admit, I kind of fell in love. I guess I just like things that are evil/demonic, that fantasy setting appeals to me. It's a smaller table but there is actually a lot going on. I felt the ball physics on this table were the fastest and as such it definitely makes the ball a little tougher to control than the other tables. I will say, that I dislike the ability to fail a mission and still have it count towards wizard mode progress (similar to Sorcerer's Lair), as I feel that sucessful completion is a part of pinball. Overall, this table has a lot to offer and I think it has the best multiball out of the four tables I played. Scores on this table will be in the hundreds of billions once the secrets of the table are found My view for this table is VIEW 5.

X-MEN - Played a few on this one, and man I found myself frustrated, but I like it. I feel this is the most challenging of the new tables and the most punishing at the same time. There are no easy kickbacks, no quick relightable ballsaves (or ball claw saves!) and extra balls are at a premium, not to mention the requirements for wizard mode seem steeper than the other three tables. I really want to explore this table more and I plan to soon. I really enjoy tables that make you work for your in-game challenges, achievements and your overall score. I also think the voice for Magneto is fantastic. My view for this table is VIEW 1W.

Default Big thumbs up!!!

I just want to give a big thumbs up to Zen Studios with regards to bugs... or more specifically the lack or bugs and more importantly game breaking glitches in the Marvel V&V pack. It really makes me very happy that we can enjoy these tables without having to worry about some sort of game breaking glitch destroying a good game.

So had a bit more time to digest the new tables.

My initial impressions remain spot-on.

Thor: I really love this table. I also loved Iron Man from the first pack so I guess I just like this kind of ramp-heavy table? It is easier than Iron-Man however (drains can be saved quite easily).

X-men: This is going to be the one with longevity for me given how challenging it seems to be but just how much fun it is; Love the X-men and the spirit is captured here.

Moon-Knight:
    So undecided... I really don't know if I love this table; or just like it. But it is the wackiest one with modes seemingly starting all over the place! Love the franticness of it.

Ghost-Rider:
    This is a pure miss for me at the moment... I just don't like it. It looks and feels the part but I hate the table layout (the centre shoot etc)...

Overall though; the uneasy feeling I had before is completely gone; truly epic pack thanks Zen.
    My Youtube channel I have started, Playthroughs, game chatter - that sort of thing

More in depth pack review:

Moon Knight
    Still by far my favorite of the pack, and honestly working its way up to my favorite of all time. I haven't really had a problem getting any of the missions done (as far as banging my head on a certain one). I can keep at least my kickbacks and at most times an extra ball lit 90% of my games. The music is epic, the visual layout both fits the character and is easy on the eyes. The layout is unique and while challenging, isn't insanely hard. The cinematics are amazing but since I've been playing this table to death I find myself skipping most of them. Now that I've 100% completed the table though (achievements and wizard mode) I will play it more for enjoyment on future runthoughs. Overall, genius table Zen, keep pumping them out like this one. I can honestly see this table being my #1 favorite Zen table of all time. At least until I can get my hands on Epic Quest.

Thor
    Visually an epic design. The layout reminds me a lot of Iron Man, which before V&V was number #2 in my top 5 (Sorcerer's Lair being #1). I love the voice effects and the music doesn't bother me as it seems to bother other people. The missions are easy to access and relatively easy to complete. The death saves are thankfully a lot easier to obtain than on Iron Man. The characters really give this table depth, as well as the overall imagery of the table itself. I haven't put enough work into this one yet, still haven't even activated Day of the Dead let alone completed it. Overall, visually striking, nice layout, decent music, #2 on my V&V list.

X-Men
    I got a chance to play this table a bit more, not enough to make a really accurate judgment, but enough to say its starting to grow on me. At first I thought it really cluttered and confusing. Now that I understand the layout and what I have to do to get things done, I'm actually enjoying it. The music reminds me of classic X-Men cartoons which is awesome. The design, while a bit yellow spandexy, isn't too bad once you get used to it. The layout is a bit different than what I'm used to, but once I got the feel for it I was having fun. I haven't formed a full team or defeated Magneto in wizard mode yet, but I can see myself gunning for it in the near future. Definitely a runner up for #2, but since I haven't played it enough to make a full choice yet, I'm going to have to say #3.

Ghost Rider
    After the first 1-3 playthrough I did to try to get the feel for the table, I have to be honest, I'm not really liking it. I mean I'm sure with time and in small doses I'll learn to let it grow on me. But for now, I just have no desire to play it. I honestly can't make an honest assessment on this one since I can't bring myself to play it. I feel its too clunky and cluttered for my taste. That center wheelie ramp thing is a pain and the Lucifer bets are silly. How do you save a ball that is going DIRECTLY down the middle? I don't know, I'll give it another go maybe later tonight or some time tomorrow, but for now this one gets a #4 and gets ranked down with the likes of Pasha, Rome, Rocky & Bullwinkle and Extreme for me. Cluttered to the point of unplayable. Maybe one day I'll find it in me to play those.

In conclusion, the 4 pack as a whole is a must have. As a package it blew me away. Moon Knight in itself is worth at least half the money I payed for the pack if not more, X-Men and Thor seem to be solid as well. All in all, good buy. Keep making them this epic Zen, and I'll keep pumping MSP out to buy them. Much love from Jersey, from me and my roommates, we love you're tables.

Exclamation Anything done about this?

Kudos on the new Marvel V&V tables. But one little thing kind of annoys me. How come in all other tables when a friend is online/sends you a message why isn't showing up the right hand side as in previous tables. Instead it notifies you smack in the middle clearly in the way the view of my flippers. Please can you change it so when a friend is online/sends a message it notifies you on the right hand side. Other than that I am loving the new tables! Keep up the good work!

Initial impressions ftw?

Thor
    Not feeling this table. I like the shots and the look of the table but I lose the ball in such random ways on this table I really get annoyed by it. I see the resemble to Iron Man but I never had those problems when I played that. It might be a learning curve, but I feel like this table is too unpredictable for my liking.

Moon Knight
    Fun table. Nice layout, nice look, nice shots, nice mission. Just nice. Nice job on the cutscenes. Haven't figured out everything on the table yet but has been very enjoyable so far.

Ghost Rider
    My favorite so far. Obviously the easy one in the pack, especially since you don't have to finish the missions, but still very fun to play. I just like the divers missions and different shots. Very cool voice acting too (counts for all tables actually).

X-Men
    Barely played this one, not liking the look of this table. Can't say much about it really, except that it will probably the last table I'll master.

Very glad with the pack, I kinda was growing tired of pinball but this got me back again.

Kotaku weighs in with 3 buy recommendations:

http://kotaku.com/5868625/

So far the surprise for me has definitely been X-men.
    The X-Men table is my favourite of the bunch.

Arrow Amazing sequel!

After playing some rounds tonight I must say that Ghost Rider is my absolute favourite one. This table has so awesome and imaginative mini games which are partially very frantic. And I really like the idea with the mirror-inverted flipper right above which can only controlled by the left flipper. If you've already realized that, it's quite easy to lock the balls and get multiball. My highest score was 33M up to now but I've played this table only 2-3 times yet.

A really cool feature is the risky award switch left from the middle ramp. There is an award where you can choose between 50.000 and 5M score but if you choose the 5M prize, you risk that the ball is going lost immediatelly after releasing. The only way to prevent that is to tilt the table at the right moment 1-2 times. I also like the street racing mini game...just reminds me to: BORN TO BE WILD!!!

There are much more which I have to find out in the next days.

I also like the X-Men table which has the most beautiful table design and even very twisted ramps. It's also very fair and has a good amount of game modes and mini games. I would say this is the most easiest table from this package.

Moon night is also a very nice table with very strange physics and fresh ideas. I even like the very unusual but not easy multiball mode. Even with disabled "special effects" in the menu all balls are shining very bright so that you cannot hit them so precisely as in simple ball mode. Too bad that the second flipper on the right side is useless at the most time, as hitting the correct ramp seems to be only possible with a skill shot but I still have to keep an eye to this.

THOR is a bit dissappointing for me. It's not only because the difficulty which is comparable with "Ironman" as some other told before here, the ball is very difficult to identify because the really bright design (I have an 32' 3D LED TV which has very clear brightness). I can't really play this table with full screen cameras, only with "View 3" which is more problematic in multiball mode (which I din't get yet). I lost the ball even in strange situations which I didn't expect which has caused frustration after a short time. It also seems to have a bug with one of the game modes (The destroyer in Asgard). When I play this mode the ball got stucked at the "URU" switch and I couldn't continue playing until the time mode was over. So the game didn't crash but I can't play this mode to the final. I only get this behaviour once yet, as I didn't hit the "URU" switch again when I play this mode. I have to check that out next time when I play this table.

Alltogehther it's a very honorable sequel of the first Marvel pack, even for Ghost rider and X-Men table; enough fun potential for the christmas days and next weeks. As a game magazine I would rate this with 8.5/10.
    Last edited by PARALAX; 12-16-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Default Quality and innovation

I have to congratulate Zen some more for the quality of these new tables This is a vast improvement on all fronts if you compare it to Marvel Pinball a year earlier. If you compare it to the releases of Captain America and Fantastic 4... 3 days after they have been released both already had a long list of Bugs reported.

There are also so many new innovations and improvements:

- Cut-scenes - awesome but very importantly skipable (Moon Knight)
    - Count down timer appearing above the ball for some modes (Moon Knight)
    - Clear audible instructions for some missions (X-men)

There are more but I can't think now as my brain is pretty mush from playing the last 6 hours. So nice that we have a public holiday today in South Africa.

Thank you Zen for listening to your fans... you better be careful, some might just begin to worship you

Quote Originally Posted by PARALAX View Post
    THOR is a bit dissappointing for me. It's not only because the difficulty which is comparable with "Ironman" as some other told before here, the ball is very difficult to identify because the really bright design (I have an 32' 3D LED TV which has very clear brightness)
    Granted, I have had the flu this past week, so my eye-balls aren't working to great atm, but I have this complaint on every table. So much flash and polish and shine... I've had a problem keeping track of the ball on every table.

Got so bad that I went back to *pause for effect*, Ironman of all tables... just wanted something simple, where I can see every ramp and without all the added brightness. Don't get me wrong, loving the tables, but they make my eyes water like Ms Splosion did.

Also, So much more to do on Thor than Ironman... not understanding the comparison. While the Asgard/Tony Stark achievements are similar, I feel like I have options on Thor (missions, or SERPENT, or the Fire Giant bumpers, etc...), where-as on Ironman I either go for the missions or the SHIELD multi-.

Finally got to Friday and the ability to score my 800 points. Just based on my play today, I couldn't be happier with the 4 tables in this pack. For me, it's the first pack of tables where there wasn't one table that I hated from the start. They all seem well balanced, have a lot to do, and are locked in when it comes to matching the styles of the tables with the styles of the characters on which they're based.

I give V&V 5 out of 4 possible stars. Way to go, Zen!

Makes you think whats coming in 2012

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    Makes you think whats coming in 2012
    The end of the world...

...Pinball table

Mayan Prophesy pinball table... release date = December 21, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    The end of the world...

...Pinball table
    You know I could actually see that happening, just call it 2012 lol or Mayan Prophecy Table yeh that would work.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    You know I could actually see that happening, just call it 2012 lol or Mayan Prophecy Table yeh that would work.
    Maybe the Maya were big fans of pinball. The end of their calendar marks Pinball FX 2.5

More or less know what is going on, on each table now. If each of the tables were released individually I would have liked each of them very much so as a pack they are awesome As somebody else mentioned... the signature of each of the tables are so similar to one of the 6 existing Marvel tables - didn't check to see if it is the same designers but can guess that it is. Here is my further assessment (from least favourite to favourite) after having been through each table decently:

- Thor (Ironman feel) needs due diligence to make progress. Thanking Zen for throwing in a more difficult table... at least with regards to the Wizard mode. Going to take me a while to beat it... similar as to Ultimo off course. Would have liked a few more additional missions and modes on the table. This table I will play at some point until I feel I have a decent enough score and then I will most probably only ever play it again in a tournament.
    - Ghost Rider is quite fun but also short and the multi-ball will soon get stale for me. Will also play it to a decent score and think that I will possibly get back to it in future depending on how big a score I get initially. Really not enough challenge to it once you have figured out how to do the missions and modes.
    - Moon Knight (Blade feel) is lots of fun but I have some frustrations with the glowing balls... once I make peace with it though I'm sure I will relish the challenge. It is a big frustration for me at the moment. Could have had a much higher score already if I could just see the damn balls easier. High scoring is similar to Blade in the sense that you can get through the missions quite easily and then get stuck at the Wizard mode... at least on this table you can do other stuff while you struggle with the Wizard mode... Blade you just continue until you are either past it or have lost all your balls. Will definitely play this table over a longer period because of the nice variation to it.
    - X-Men (Fantastic 4 feel) just flows so nicely. Didn't expect it, but I'm loving the feel of this table. Fantastic 4 also have that same feel of things just flowing but I never could quite relish it much because of the damn game breaking glitches! I'm for sure going to relish this table. In a sense it doesn't feel like you are playing for a high score... you are just kinda playing through it because it just works so well. I think we are going to see awesome scores on this table as well.

Haven't figured huge scoring strategy opportunities out yet on the tables... it seems that Zen went for a much more balanced approach and moved away from spamming opportunities, except maybe with Thor with its building Jackpots and easy restart of Surtur multi-ball. X-men with its EOB bonus payout in the middle of the game can also lead to huge scores if somebody manages to play through a couple of times - going to be tough but I'm sure somebody will do it! The Billions are already starting to appear on leaderboards for these tables so we'll have to wait and see where it will end. If these tables came out all on their own the individual scores on each table would have been much higher already so I don't thing the current scores are giving the true picture yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
    Finally got to Friday and the ability to score my 800 points. Just based on my play today, I couldn't be happier with the 4 tables in this pack. For me, it's the first pack of tables where there wasn't one table that I hated from the start. They all seem well balanced, have a lot to do, and are locked in when it comes to matching the styles of the tables with the styles of the characters on which they're based.

I give V&V 5 out of 4 possible stars. Way to go, Zen!
    You know, I was hoping I would have the same feeling here with V&V, but I can honestly say this wasn't the case. I tried out the tables in the order that they were announced on first approach. After one play through on each table I made a choice. I just happened to like Moon Knight the best out of the four and played that a lot. To be honest, after many plays on three of the tables, I've played Ghost Rider maybe three times total. I just can't really get into that table at all for some reason. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure with time I'll give it another shot.

Initial thoughts on Moon Knight were "this table is awesome" and still, after a few days, those thoughts haven't changed. I played it all the way through to wizard mode, and at the time set a #3 score on the leaderboards, not so high now. All in all I'm satisfied with every aspect of this table except for Nightmare multiball. I just don't like the whole levitating ball thing, it annoys me. I love the music, goes very well with the theme of the table. The fact that wizard mode is quite difficult to get to, but not insanely hard in terms of what needs to be done to get there. The battle with Seth is fun and not too difficult. Ball saves and kickbacks are easily accessible, as well as extra balls. I love Khonshu's little comments all throughout the table. The overall visuals are stunning and the cinematics are great (and its great that you can skip them). Overall, simply legendary. I can see myself getting more joy out of this one than Sorcerer's Lair, making it #1 on my favorite table list.

On my journey to Moon Knight wizard mode, whenever I got frustrated, I switched to Thor. First impression of Thor was pretty similar to Moon Knight. After a few cumulative hours of play I started noticing the similarities to Iron Man (which used to be #2 on my top 5 favorite tables). I love everything about this table except that the Day of the Dead hole is a pain to hit and the outlanes aren't very friendly. After completing Moon Knight wizard mode this table's wizard mode became my prime objective. No luck yet, but time will get me there. I love the visuals on this one, truly epic table design. The music fits it, the voice acting is great as well. It really fits the Thor/Asgard theme. Kickbacks and ball saves are easy to activate, haven't quite figured out the whole golden apple thing yet though. Overall, another epic table from Zen. I can see myself getting just as much, if not more enjoyment out of this one than Iron Man, making it #2 on my list of all time favorites.

Once I started playing Thor more often I started playing X-Men whenever I got frustrated with Thor. First impression wasn't very good. At first it felt very clunky, difficult to figure out what was even going on (first few plays were on a 32 inch tv's speakers in my room with volume set low) and I just couldn't get into the feel of the table itself. Once I started playing it on my roommate's Xbox in the living room, I could hear Xavier telling you what to do, I was on a 46 inch so I could see the entire environment more clearly and fully appreciate the "X-Men feel" of the table and the music just fits that feel so well. Once I got used to the flow and the mission structure I fell in love with this table. The missions are easy to access, but the table itself is just extremely difficult which I like. I love Moon Knight, but it fell to my wrath pretty quickly once I got the flow of the table. And I'm not even close to what I would consider a "pro" pinballer. I haven't quite figured out how to activate ball saves and kickbacks yet, I don't read the rule sheets first few plays, I just play. Overall, again, aother epic table. I can see myself getting hours and hours of joy out of this one. To be honest, once I play it more it may replace Thor on the favorites, making this easily #3, if not #2 on the list.

Which brings me to Ghost Rider. To be honest, I can't make an accurate assessment here. I really can't get into this table at the moment. I couldn't get into Captain America right away either, some tables I just don't. Like Captain America (which I haven't gone back to in quite a while), I will eventually get back to this one, and can more accurately give an opinion. At the moment its ranked with the likes of Captain America, Pasha, Rome, Extreme and Rocky & Bullwinkle: unplayable.

Now, I suppose, I have to make a new top 10 list, since some of them have been replaced. I've gotten more love for some tables than I had for others when I made my last list anyway, so I guess it could have used an update. Here we go:

1: Moon Knight
    2: Thor / X-Men
    3: X-Men / Thor
    4: Sorcerer's Lair
    5: Iron Man
    6: Excalibur
    7: Agents
    8: Mars
    9: Wolverine
    10: Biolab

Thanks for listening to my late night rant. Couldn't think of anything else to do so I figured I'd review V&V again after a more in depth exploration. And now, more than likely, back to more Thor.

I got frustrated with Thor. First impression wasn't very good. At first it felt very clunky, difficult to figure out what was even going on (first few plays were on a 32 inch tv's speakers in my room with volume set low) and I just couldn't get into the feel of the table itself. Once I started playing it on my roommate's Xbox in the living room, I could hear Xavier telling you what to do, I was on a 46 inch so I could see the entire environment more clearly and fully appreciate the "X-Men feel" of the table and the music just fits that feel so well.
    I play on a 27 inch hd tv and sound always comes from the t.v 0_o (I don't have speakers or surround, no room for them at the moment)... Some people don't realise how lucky they are eh?

The best part of V&V is having a friend high score ribbon for half a day, then logging in and seeing Cloda beat your score by at least 400M

Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    The best part of V&V is having a friend high score ribbon for half a day, then logging in and seeing Cloda beat your score by at least 400M
    Sorry Postman... I think I seriously fell in love with the X-men. The table is just so nice If a tournament is going to be held on this table it is going to end up with seriously high scores

I play on a 27 inch hd tv and sound always comes from the t.v 0_o (I don't have speakers or surround, no room for them at the moment)... Some people don't realise how lucky they are eh?
    I wasn't trying to say the 32 inch screen made it bad, I meant with tv speakers turned down low because both of my roommates were sleeping I couldn't hear Xavier is all. Made it a bit harder to know what to do next.

I wasn't trying to say the 32 inch screen made it bad, I meant with tv speakers turned down low because both of my roommates were sleeping I couldn't hear Xavier is all. Made it a bit harder to know what to do next.
    What type of TV do you have?

Then, young one, it is time to turn back to the old ways...follow the flashing lights to your nirvana.

I play in silent most of the time because someone is always in bed here - I occasionally can have the sound on low; but never loud.

But yeah I was only kidding mate - it's all good here... xD

Quote Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
    Then, young one, it is time to turn back to the old ways...follow the flashing lights to your nirvana.
    Words of a pinball Jedi

"The heart reveals what smiles betray" - Rise against

Quote Originally Posted by Zuprichy View Post
    Words of a pinball Jedi

I don't need no stinkin lights or Audio cues, I'm a machine!

If only

What type of TV do you have?
    In my room? 32 inch Samsung 720p LCD. My roommate's TV in the living room is a 46 inch Samsung 1080i/1080p (whichever is the better one) LCD. That's the good one hooked to the 7.1 surround system, I only get to play on that when the roommates are at work or want to play socially. Can't have flippers blaring out of the surround speakers at 4am unfortunately.

In my room? 32 inch Samsung 720p LCD. My roommate's TV in the living room is a 46 inch Samsung 1080i/1080p (whichever is the better one) LCD. That's the good one hooked to the 7.1 surround system, I only get to play on that when the roommates are at work or want to play socially. Can't have flippers blaring out of the surround speakers at 4am unfortunately.
    You should have an AV audio out on your TV. I suggest buying this adapter and buy a good pair of headphones.

That's what I did, so I can play games at night without waking anyone up. I just turn off the TV speakers and let the headphones do the work.
    Last edited by shogun00; 12-18-2011 at 04:21 PM.

You should have an AV audio out on your TV. I suggest buying this adapter and buy a good pair of headphones.

That's what I did, so I can play games at night without waking anyone up. I just turn off the TV speakers and let the headphone do the work.
    Just read this and showed my roommate the link. He said he has one of those, he just needs to find it for me, hopefully tomorrow. I have a Razer Carcharias headset that I don't use for WoW anymore, I think it will compliment V&V (and FX2 in general) quite well. Thanks for the tip, sir.

Just letting everyone know I posted Hypno74 Videos of Thor and Ghost Rider, where he runs thro all the Missions and the Wizard Modes in one vid for each table. Link to those are below, its the most recent post -

Link To Thread
    Last edited by ShoryukenToTheChin; 12-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Here are my impressions on each table in rank order:

Ghost Rider has the best rules and layout of the bunch, IMO. The look is interesting, the layout is top-notch, no interruptions or delay (unlike the Moon Knight table), very cool features (the shotgun and "fireball" minigame), and the missions are quite good. Music is okay; not a huge Marylin Manson fan as it sounds a little too much like The Beautiful People, but it gets the job done and is fitting for its theme (like nearly all of Zen's tables). Good voice acting as well.

Thor, like Ghost Rider, is the total package; very nice looking table, cool layout, the best missions out of this whole package, nice and fitting music with good voice-acting.

X-Men seems the most boring from a presentation standpoint; while the layout and missions are quite fun (with some difficult shots), the whole presentation just feels like Zen sleepwalked on this one (the music is fitting though). A missed opportunity, but still a winner in terms of gameplay. Still need to put more time on this one, though.

Moon Knight is all around solid. The table looks slick and interesting, while the layout, rules, and missions are fairly standard fare. I do notice some delay in action, especially when multiball ends and the build up for the "route the punks" minigame takes too long. Standard table, but still really fun due to the presentation and thank goodness the cutscenes can be skipped. Perhaps the best voice-acting from Zen Studios yet (tied with Ghost Rider and Thor's).

Overall, Earth Defense and Excalibur are my undisputed favorites, but still a much better package than the previous Marvel Pinball pack (Blade is an exception). No lemons of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    I don't need no stinkin lights or Audio cues, I'm a machine!

If only
    screw that...

He ain't got no distractions
    Can't hear those buzzers and bells,
    Don't see lights a flashin'
    Plays by sense of smell.
    Always has a replay,
    'n' never tilts at all...
    That deaf dumb and blind kid
    Sure plays a mean pin ball.
    So... um.... how exactly does one play by sense of smell?

He ain't got no distractions
    Can't hear those buzzers and bells,
    Don't see lights a flashin'
    Plays by sense of smell.
    Always has a replay,
    'n' never tilts at all...
    That deaf dumb and blind kid
    Sure plays a mean pin ball.
    thats why i name myself TOMMY CyBeRRoy

george lucas would say, i am able to use the force! hehehe

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to the Zen team for making Pinball FX (2). Downright, no contest, the *best value msp for msp, buck for buck that is available on console right now*

Now for the V&V tables: Leaving the "All the tables are superb" stuff aside - because by now it's almost a given seeing how Zen keep making great tables after great tables, and getting better at it too - these are my thoughts:

Ghost Rider:
    My personal fav of the bunch. I read that it might suffer from the "Paranormal syndrome" (i.e: huge number of extra balls and relying on only one mode for huge scoring) though? I guess that's unfortunate because I love the layout, tricks, patterns and theme of the table. Maybe it's not as enjoyable for extremely skilled player but I guess at more average levels it's less noticable (I haven't yet reached 500m on it).

Moon Knight:
    Holy ****, this table is busy and probably the most complete of the bunch imo. There's a few nitpick: on very rare occasions the framerate actually drop below 60fps (this only happen when the red/blue/yellow orbs things fly around while switching from single ball view to multi ball view AND the ramps opens or close AND there's maybe two or three other thing going on) it doesn't affect gameplay or anything since it occurs after completing missions basically but I hope Zen will always strife for a solid 60fps. And the well white...holy *** that's a lot of white (when you're entering the moon mob mini game thing) lol.

X-Men
    X-Men I though was the more traditional (closer to real table) in difficulty and how the table plays. Probably the toughest of the bunch, if only because there's no easy and simple way to get kickbacks. It's also a fairly complicated table compared to more straightforward tables like Ghost Rider. Love Magneto's voice acting btw "Why do you fight your own race, X-Men? Join me!" and overall music theme. My only grip is that some of the musics on the X-Men table is almost identical to the Sorcerer's Lair table.

Thor:
    Another tough but awesome table. It kind of remain me of the Ninja Gaiden table. Just the general feel of the ramps and flow I dunno.

Overall this package is amazing with, I think, a nice diversity of table and table overall difficulty. I hope Zen continue making a nice variety of table difficulty level and continue making some "tough" table from time to time. I understand that making table easier could be an incentive for some to buy the table but it could also backfire with more advanced players.

Anyway, I hope you guys keep making these great tables for a long time to come!

If you want a Guides to the Marvel Pinball VV Tables follow the link in my Sig, or go to Marvel Pinball Website The guides are in PDF and links are right below the media player on marvelpinball.com. Enjoy!

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by DutchTommy View Post
    thats why i name myself TOMMY CyBeRRoy

george lucas would say, i am able to use the force! hehehe
    i used the force to, and defeatet all Missions & Ultimo on Ironmantable with closed eyes looooool blind like a Mole

For those who haven't got the pack yet, Zen are giving away V&V codes on Twitter and Facebook. You'll need to hurry.

(But not here, for some reason. For shame! )

For those who haven't got the pack yet, Zen are giving away V&V codes on Twitter and Facebook. You'll need to hurry.

(But not here, for some reason. For shame! )
    lol they need to make sure they appease all social networks Ive noticed the Facebook page is growing nicely always good.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Exclamation V&V scores compared to other Marvel tables

Top.... *TOP*
    100 .....1000

110.... 50 IRON MAN
    300.... 70 BLADE
    300 ...130 MOON KNIGHT
    350 ...110 X-MEN
    350 ...120 THOR
    440 ...120 WOLVERINE
    500 ...190 CAPTAIN AMERICA
    750 ...120 GHOST RIDER
    810 ...190 FANTASTIC FOUR
    2000...340 SPIDERMAN

You know, I was hoping I would have the same feeling here with V&V, but I can honestly say this wasn't the case. I tried out the tables in the order that they were announced on first approach. After one play through on each table I made a choice. I just happened to like Moon Knight the best out of the four and played that a lot. To be honest, after many plays on three of the tables, I've played Ghost Rider maybe three times total. I just can't really get into that table at all for some reason. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure with time I'll give it another shot.

Initial thoughts on Moon Knight were "this table is awesome" and still, after a few days, those thoughts haven't changed. I played it all the way through to wizard mode, and at the time set a #3 score on the leaderboards, not so high now. All in all I'm satisfied with every aspect of this table except for Nightmare multiball. I just don't like the whole levitating ball thing, it annoys me. I love the music, goes very well with the theme of the table. The fact that wizard mode is quite difficult to get to, but not insanely hard in terms of what needs to be done to get there. The battle with Seth is fun and not too difficult. Ball saves and kickbacks are easily accessible, as well as extra balls. I love Khonshu's little comments all throughout the table. The overall visuals are stunning and the cinematics are great (and its great that you can skip them). Overall, simply legendary. I can see myself getting more joy out of this one than Sorcerer's Lair, making it #1 on my favorite table list.

On my journey to Moon Knight wizard mode, whenever I got frustrated, I switched to Thor. First impression of Thor was pretty similar to Moon Knight. After a few cumulative hours of play I started noticing the similarities to Iron Man (which used to be #2 on my top 5 favorite tables). I love everything about this table except that the Day of the Dead hole is a pain to hit and the outlanes aren't very friendly. After completing Moon Knight wizard mode this table's wizard mode became my prime objective. No luck yet, but time will get me there. I love the visuals on this one, truly epic table design. The music fits it, the voice acting is great as well. It really fits the Thor/Asgard theme. Kickbacks and ball saves are easy to activate, haven't quite figured out the whole golden apple thing yet though. Overall, another epic table from Zen. I can see myself getting just as much, if not more enjoyment out of this one than Iron Man, making it #2 on my list of all time favorites.

Once I started playing Thor more often I started playing X-Men whenever I got frustrated with Thor. First impression wasn't very good. At first it felt very clunky, difficult to figure out what was even going on (first few plays were on a 32 inch tv's speakers in my room with volume set low) and I just couldn't get into the feel of the table itself. Once I started playing it on my roommate's Xbox in the living room, I could hear Xavier telling you what to do, I was on a 46 inch so I could see the entire environment more clearly and fully appreciate the "X-Men feel" of the table and the music just fits that feel so well. Once I got used to the flow and the mission structure I fell in love with this table. The missions are easy to access, but the table itself is just extremely difficult which I like. I love Moon Knight, but it fell to my wrath pretty quickly once I got the flow of the table. And I'm not even close to what I would consider a "pro" pinballer. I haven't quite figured out how to activate ball saves and kickbacks yet, I don't read the rule sheets first few plays, I just play. Overall, again, aother epic table. I can see myself getting hours and hours of joy out of this one. To be honest, once I play it more it may replace Thor on the favorites, making this easily #3, if not #2 on the list.

Which brings me to Ghost Rider. To be honest, I can't make an accurate assessment here. I really can't get into this table at the moment. I couldn't get into Captain America right away either, some tables I just don't. Like Captain America (which I haven't gone back to in quite a while), I will eventually get back to this one, and can more accurately give an opinion. At the moment its ranked with the likes of Captain America, Pasha, Rome, Extreme and Rocky & Bullwinkle: unplayable.

Now, I suppose, I have to make a new top 10 list, since some of them have been replaced. I've gotten more love for some tables than I had for others when I made my last list anyway, so I guess it could have used an update. Here we go:

Thanks for listening to my late night rant. Couldn't think of anything else to do so I figured I'd review V&V again after a more in depth exploration. And now, more than likely, back to more Thor.
    Top 3 listed in order.
    Moon Knight
    Epic Quest
    Soc lair

I don't post here often but I do lurk quite a bit. Last night I got to the 90th ranking on x-men which felt really awesome. I've been playing now for about 9 months or so and have really gotten much better in the past month. Last night I got all the letters of x-men for the first time and two extra balls to help with the whole thing.

So now we have had these tables for a while; what is the final verdict compared with initial impressions?

I basically haven't had much pinball time lately so I am still technically early days on these but I still enjoy Thor the most; though I am finding it quite a frustrating table now. I can get 3missions done easily (no matter what order) and then seem to just drain all my remaining balls in the space of two minutes or so. I thought I would have had Thor done by now but that ball likes heading SDTM.

Ghost Rider is fun but feels ultimately flat, I like small spurts on it just to activate the easy multiball; it's a fun table but not one I play seriously.

Moon knight and X-men are largely untouched; though against the winds of everyone else, I think I like X-men a little bit more.

For me Moon Knight is still the King of the VV Pack.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Now I know this topic is about V&V but I have to say I would like post more about what everyone's favorite tables are. In my case I don't have access to some of the FX2 tables that the X-box has (Rome looks so cool) so 'Top 10' would not necessarily reflect popularity for both PS3 and Xbox players.

my top ten

1. Epic quest -Hands down my favorite. Has charm and strategy along with RPG elements, humor, and classic pinball action.
    2. Fantastic four - I guess I like the challenge in this as you have to be accurate with many of the mission.
    3. Thor - I didn't think it was as difficult as some say but yes I have not beaten the 'wizard' mode yet.
    4. Captain America- Love the design and the missions are straight forward and not too difficult.
    5. Moon Knight - nice design for character I'm not familiar with. easy to get into.
    6. Iron man - I guess I like the challenge to this as well. Nice missions.
    7. Paranormal - Interesting table. No straight forward missions Still needs some execution but solid table.
    8. Sorcerer's Lair - fun table easy to get into so many missions.
    9. Earth defense - I guess the theme reminds me of some of the older style pinball games before video games were invented.( Yes I'm that old) Nice theme and great visuals.
    10. Mars - of all the tables I have I like this one better than Ghost rider, wolverine spiderman the 4 zen tables that are included in zen pinball, and Blade so takes the 10th spot.

Thor is brutal >.>...

100mil on my first ball with x8 lit and the odin's extra and I drained. Not too bad mind, had an extra ball and 100mil is a damn nice score for one ball. Also had 2/5 main missions done and 2/3 side missions for the 10mil so was a really nice run.

The game then robbed me of my remaining 3 balls... Only managing another 38mil across the three of them...

Thought for sure I was gonna break 200mil this game and get another shot at the wizard mode. Was a fun run though.

QUESTION FOR PEOPLE:

What is the best scoring pattern on Thor? Grind the multi-balls and Side Quests? Or try to play the missions?
    Last edited by Lepruk86; 03-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.

What is the best scoring pattern on Thor? Grind the multi-balls and Side Quests? Or try to play the missions?
    Grinding the Lightning Strike Combo and spelling out the words YMIR, SERPENT and ARMOR on the ramps/orbit. Each time you spell out those words the bonus values increase for their respected missions.

Spelling out YMIR will increase the score values in the Ymir missions.
    Spelling out SERPENT will increase the score values in the Brother's Dual mission.
    Spelling out ARMOR will increase the score value in the Armor missions.

Also, every time you spell out the word you will collect the bonus. You can rack up quite a bit of points by just spamming the easy combo. Once you have a good bonus value on those ramps/orbit, then start up and complete the missions for that one-two punch.

Grinding the Lightning Strike Combo and spelling out the words YMIR, SERPENT and ARMOR on the ramps/orbit. Each time you spell out those words the bonus values increase for their respected missions.

Spelling out SERPENT will increase the score values in the Brother's Dual mission.

Also, every time you spell out the word you will collect the bonus. You can rack up quite a bit of points by just spamming the easy combo. Once you have a good bonus value on those ramps/orbit, then start up and complete the missions for that one-two punch.
    Thanks Shogun. I did notice the letters increased the bonuses, but I couldn't work out how you collected the jackpots as they didn't come during Wizard mode.

So the start of a Thor game should be focusing on Golden Apples / grinding what ever mission's ramp I want to play and then taking on that mission.

I don't think you can but can you build up the ramp lights during a multiball mode (I assume not, but would make it feel safer if possible?).

So the start of a Thor game should be focusing on Golden Apples / grinding what ever mission's ramp I want to play and then taking on that mission.
    I recommend doing the lighting strike combo, since it lights up the letters for those three major words (YMIR, SERPENT and ARMOR).

Note: The video is from the PS3 version. You just need press the launch button to take advantage of the combo. On the PS3, the launch button is defaulted to the X button.

I don't think you can but can you build up the ramp lights during a multiball mode (I assume not, but would make it feel safer if possible?).
    Nope! They disengage during multiball modes.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-23-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Yeah I already knew of the lightning combo...

Makes this table a lot more spammy now though. Spamming that combo over and over for xxx hours - is the bonus capped at a million or whatever? Or is it seemingly unlimited?

is the bonus capped at a million or whatever? Or is it seemingly unlimited?
    It's unlimited from what I can tell.

I was able to get the bonus up to 4 million for all three (Ymir, Serpent and Armor). However, I'm not really good at grinding.

FWIW, I was able to get a billion on the table without getting any extra balls or getting any of the golden apples. I just kept on spamming the lighting combo for ball 1 and then focused on the missions for balls 2 and 3.
    Last edited by shogun00; 03-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.

It's unlimited from what I can tell.

I was able to get the bonus up to 4 million for all three (Ymir, Serpent and Armor). However, I'm not really good at grinding.

FWIW, I was able to get a billion on the table without getting any extra balls or getting any of the golden apples. I just kept one spamming the lighting combo for ball 1 and then focused on the missions for balls 2 and 3.
    Rightio man. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much

Wow how did you figure out by pressing X you could do that combo? nice strat! Thor is one of the tables I'm fairly good at. This info will surely be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tenorhero View Post
    Wow how did you figure out by pressing X you could do that combo? nice strat! Thor is one of the tables I'm fairly good at. This info will surely be helpful.
    Pretty easy! If you look at the DMD (dot matrix display), when you hit the Serpent's tail. It will say "press the launch button" and it's the same when you hit the Ymir loop.

Note: On the PS3 version, the X button is the default launch button. I'm not sure what the default launch button is for the 360 version.

Pretty easy! If you look at the DMD (dot matrix display), when you hit the Serpent's tail. It will say "press the launch button" and it's the same when you hit the Ymir loop.

Note: On the PS3 version, the X button is the default launch button. I'm not sure what the default launch button is for the 360 version.
    Thanks for that. Yeah I'm a proud PS3 owner. But I wish I had the XBOX tables.

*hint "Hint

Buh...?
    What does the launch button actually do in that context?
    On Xbox, launch is A button.

Quote Originally Posted by tenorhero View Post
    Yeah I'm a proud PS3 owner. But I wish I had the XBOX tables.

*hint "Hint
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by bclewis View Post
    What does the launch button actually do in that context?
    On the Serpent's Tail, there is a little trap door. Pressing the launch button at the right time will open that door and send the ball to the upper left flipper.

On the Ymir loop, pressing the launch button will generate a lighting blast. This will hurl the ball right into the Armor ramp.

On the Serpent's Tail, there is a little trap door. Pressing the launch button at the right time will open that door and send the ball to the upper left flipper.
    Cool; definitely a feature for which it would pay to read the guide and/or get better at watching the DMD.

On the Ymir loop, pressing the launch button will generate a lighting blast. This will hurl the ball right into the Armor ramp.
    Now if only I could hit that loop even semi-reliably in the first place, . Though I guess with the trap door, it'll probably be easier to get the timing right.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bclewis View Post
    Cool; definitely a feature for which it would pay to read the guide and/or get better at watching the DMD.

Now if only I could hit that loop even semi-reliably in the first place, . Though I guess with the trap door, it'll probably be easier to get the timing right.

Thanks!
    I find it is now an almost automatic reaction to hammer the launch button as soon as the ball fires up the serpent ramp, and yes, it does make hitting the Ymir ramp much easier.

A little bit of practice and you'll soon be hitting serpent ramp (drop), Ymir (launch) Armor ramp. The ball then returns back to the left flipper to do it all over again! Easy way to get some combo bonuses especially when Mjolnir is active too...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234