X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cloda
    Pinball Wizard
    • Nov 2010

Sorcerer's Lair Strategy Guide

Although you can play Sorcerer’s Lair without a specific strategy - mostly because you don’t have to finish the missions to play Midnight Madness - you would definitely be able to score much higher in the same amount of game time if you have a strategy rather than just shooting randomly. This table is quite easy in the sense that if you avoid certain dangerous locations on the table, it is quite possible to keep the ball alive for a very long time, but by having a strategy there are ways to play it safer and prolong your game even further. ShoryukenToTheChins’s guide should come out soon if you are uncertain about any of the terms or concepts.

General

- As always, start off by activating your kickbacks and keeping them activated. The best way to do it is to continually shoot up the Citadel ramp as the ball will be diverted first to the right inlane and then to the extra ball ramp where you will shoot it to emerge above the left inlane.
    - Extra balls are one of the obvious ways with which you can prolong your game with. Two of the four extra balls are relatively easy (Whisper Award and 6-way Combo) and the other two, if managed correctly, can reward you an extra ball later in the game (Elusion Master Combo and 10x multiplier). When the game first start (with the ballsaver active), I always first go for the Whisper Award as the table is usually generous by lighting the Extra Ball with in the first two or three activations and then I go for the 6-way combo Extra Ball. From ball 2, it is not so generous anymore and then I go for the 6-way combo first. Take note though that all the extra balls are available more than once but you have to first go through Midnight Madness before you will for example be able to light the Extra Ball again with the 6-way Combo.
    - By being awarded the “Hold Bonus” by Whisper and using it opportunely (e.g. when you lost the ball with the multiplier on 8x) you will be able later in the game to use it to your advantage to get the 10x multiplier extra ball. Also keep track of you Elusion Mastery Combo’s and you can also at the opportune time complete the final combos to light and extra ball (I need to confirm this).
    - Not hitting the Whisper hole flush can be perilous and can lead to ball drains so concentrate on only going for it when ball save is active. There are more than enough opportunities; by locking a ball with the Sorcerer and in the Gargoyle hole it is activated and also by shooting the ball through the Extra ball ramp 5 times. Also rather avoid the left orbit because a miss hit can also lead to a drain.
    - All three multi-ball modes (especially Gargoyle and Citadel) can be used for more than just scoring Jackpots. By focussing on it you can use them to safely complete Elusion Mastery Combo’s, build up your multipliers and reactivate your kickbacks.
    - The Citadel Multi-ball mode can be used very efficiently to complete one of the main table missions and possibly achieve an Obsidian Stone. After 5 successful Jackpots you need to hit one of the balls up the Citadel Ramp and into the Extra Ball lane to achieve the modes goal. At that point the currently selected main table mission will be automatically completed and if you have not already scored two Obsidian stones with that mission (before having to go through a 13 stone Midnight Madness to reset the count) it will also be awarded.
    - There are a few cool things about the table; one is that each shot up the Ghost ramp awards you a score that is increased by 25 000 points with each hit. After 40 shots you score a nice 1 million per shot so get used to constantly shoot that ramp especially as the ball often comes down above the right top flipper when you go for the 3 mission runes - in the end it can lead to a very helpful boost for your score. Another cool thing is that at some point each further ramp shot after a 6-way Combo scores you 1 million points rather than just 300 thousand points - I think it is if you have advanced your multiplier to x10, but irrespective of how it happens, you'll be happy if it does!

Obsidian Stones

- With regards to scoring, Obsidian Stones is your main focus on this table as each stone achieved (to 13) multiplies your Midnight Madness score by an additional half (.5). With 13 stones your Midnight Madness score will be multiplied by 7.5 (1 + 6.5).
    - A stone can only be achieved once by completing the modes (not sure about the Whisper award) but twice by completing the missions for building up 13. You will only be able to achieve more stones with each mission or mode if you complete Midnight Madness with 13 stones because the table resets back to 0 stones but you are rewarded with an additional bonus of 50mil for completing Midnight Madness with 13 stones.
    - There are two different strategies that I can suggest. The Complete Table Experience Strategy with which you can score a high score but likely not as high as with the Spam the Midnight Madness Strategy.
    - With the first strategy, play the missions and the modes such that you always achieve more than 7 stones in a play through so that every second play through you have 13 stones. Using this strategy for each two play through’s you can score around 800 – 900 million as you also score the maximum points for other missions and modes on your way to Midnight Madness. It takes more concentration though and is more risky because you are required to play a whole variety of shots.
    - The second strategy is to build your stones to 12 and then to play repeatedly through to Midnight Madness by starting missions but not finishing them. Using this strategy for each two play through's you can score around 600 - 700 million which is less than the first strategy but you will definitely get through a whole lot more Midnight Madness’s and you play with much less risk.
    - If you play with the second strategy, you need to avoid the Whisper hole and the Elusion Master combo so that you don't get further stones. You second extra ball per original ball will then come from 10x multiplier or a second 6-way combo (after you have been through Midnight Madness again). Use all ball save periods and multi-balls to activate the multipliers and remember not to save Whisper when you get to Midnight Madness.

Midnight Madness

- When Save Whisper start, you will notice that the ball come out just above the top right flipper, ready for a shot. Don’t take that shot because you won’t hit Whisper as she is not on the Ghost ramp yet. Rather let the ball fall down and bounce on to the right flipper over to the left, ready to be caught. Once Whisper has moved high enough up the Ghost Ramp, shoot the ball up the Citadel ramp where you will either let it drop through Whisper or shoot it through her down the extra ball ramp depending on her position.
    - There is not really a wrong way to play Midnight Madness but by deliberately aiming your shots to hit the Ghosts, including round the orbits and up the Ghost Ramp, your score will be closer to around 50mil rather than 30mil. With the Obsidian Stone multiplication that can make quite a big difference in your scoring.
    - Make sure you reactivate your kickbacks following Midnight Madness because not doing so can lead to a very frustrating and against the run of play drain!

I hope these strategy thoughts are of use to you guys and gals that have read this far and please let me know if it helped you to beat my score! Please also share your thoughts and I will be more than happy to update the strategy if it is helpful or to make corrections.
    Last edited by Cloda; 10-19-2011, 08:57 PM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread
  • wednesday
    • Aug 2011

Well done sir, this is well put together. I''d like to add one thing though

Yes I AM using the "12 stones" method. It's more fun than you might think though, during each mission, you can still play through it UNTIL the end, so as so to achieve the highest possible points DURING the mission. For example, the "spiders" mission. Or any mission really. You play through it until it says, " shoot for the exit" (ie: you shoot all the spiders first for 300,000 each) and THEN you let the ball drain. So you're still experiencing the full mission each time so as to obtain the maximum possible points without obtaining a stone...

I'm not advocating this method over any other, just pointing out that there's more to it than meets the eye. I think I've reached about my top score, I doubt I can achieve too much more than this.

Comment

• UranusIsBroken
      • Jan 2011

What am I missing re: going through missions with the intention of NOT getting the Obsidian Stone associated with that mission?

Comment

• wednesday
        • Aug 2011

If you have 12 or less stones at midnight, the stones carry over to the next "round" and you can use them towards your next midnight pass multiplier. If you use 13, you get a 50 million point bonus, but the stones reset and you have to build them up again. I only get 6-7 stones per mission round so the optimal scoring point % for me is to hold the stones and not grab that final stone.

Comment

• Cloda
          Pinball Wizard
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by wednesday
          Well done sir, this is well put together. I''d like to add one thing though

Yes I AM using the "12 stones" method. It's more fun than you might think though, during each mission, you can still play through it UNTIL the end, so as so to achieve the highest possible points DURING the mission. For example, the "spiders" mission. Or any mission really. You play through it until it says, " shoot for the exit" (ie: you shoot all the spiders first for 300,000 each) and THEN you let the ball drain. So you're still experiencing the full mission each time so as to obtain the maximum possible points without obtaining a stone...

I'm not advocating this method over any other, just pointing out that there's more to it than meets the eye. I think I've reached about my top score, I doubt I can achieve too much more than this.
          Originally posted by wednesday
          If you have 12 or less stones at midnight, the stones carry over to the next "round" and you can use them towards your next midnight pass multiplier. If you use 13, you get a 50 million point bonus, but the stones reset and you have to build them up again. I only get 6-7 stones per mission round so the optimal scoring point % for me is to hold the stones and not grab that final stone.
          You have put up a great score using your approach so I am also not advocating one method over the other. What it points out for me is that this table doesn't have any spamming opportunities so you have to go through to Midnight Madness to raise your score irrespective of how you manage your obsidian stones. I like seeing those 4mil end of mission bonus awards though and the challenge of building the stones up to 13 again also spurs me on. How do you avoid getting the Whisper Award Obsidian stone... or do you only get it once before completing Midnight Madness with 13?

Fatigue is my main enemy on this table though and I think that is where your method might be better in that you don't have to concentrate so much to finish all the missions and multiballs. I have not once been able to play each ball to its fullest in one game. On my high score game the bulk of my score was achieved with only two good balls... ball 1 and ball 2.1, the other 6 balls (didn't get the last extra ball) only went for a few 100mil.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
            Writer of Guides
            • Apr 2011

Excellent Cloda, yet another great strategy for getting highscores.
            sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
            Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
            *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• Cloda
              Pinball Wizard
              • Nov 2010

I have added a very nice tip with regards to Citadel multi-ball that I have read in Wims guide that he has drawn up. Thanks Wims!

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• wednesday
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Cloda
                How do you avoid getting the Whisper Award Obsidian stone... or do you only get it once before completing Midnight Madness with 13?
                I only get it once... it's inevitable after a while though. I just try to avoid it.

Comment

• ShoryukenToTheChin
                  Writer of Guides
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Cloda
                  I have added a very nice tip with regards to Citadel multi-ball that I have read in Wims guide that he has drawn up. Thanks Wims!
                  Ooh I added that to my guide also, interesting that is.
                  sigpic

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
                  Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
                  *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Comment

• Cloda
                    Pinball Wizard
                    • Nov 2010

Improved Strategy Guide

I updated the strategy because I experimented with both approached to obsidian stones and midnight madness and came to some conclusions. Maybe I shouldn't say it too loudly because my score might just be overhauled by lots of people (), but with the 12 stone repeated Midnight Madness spam strategy I managed to improve my score by 500mil and did it in a shorter time than my previous high score.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Comment

• OriginalEther
                      • Feb 2013

End of Ball bonus guide

Multipliers are raised by hitting the G O O targets, found on the lower half of the table. An extra ball is awarded for maxing them out.

Combo bonus
                      20,000 points per combo made per ball

Whisper bonus
                      30,000 points per shot into the Whisper hole per game

Ghost bonus
                      40,000 points per Ghost shot per ball

Cellar bonus
                      50,000 points per main mission mode started per ball.
                      I did have some odd occurances where the points did not register

Obsidian bonus
                      200,000 points per Obsidian Stone in possession per game.
                      This resets if you acquire your 13th stone.

Summary - decent scoring. Like a lot of tables, just keeping the ball alive for a while will allow you to rack up a decent score. I do find the shots to raise the bonus too risky; I find that hitting them unintentionally during a multiball mode is the best way to go.
                      Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
                      Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

Comment

• anmol77
                        • Apr 2016

I like seeing those 4mil end of mission bonus awards though and the challenge of building the stones up to 13 again also spurs me on. How do you avoid getting the Whisper Award Obsidian stone... or do you only get it once before completing Midnight Madness with 13?????
                        leatherpower

Comment

Working...