Thread: High Scoring Strategy Guide for Paranormal

Lightbulb High Scoring Strategy Guide for Paranormal

I managed to put on a really high score on this table with my 5th game and that is all because within the first couple of games I realised that there are a few aspects of the table that can be fully exploited for a long and ultimately a high scoring game - easy kickback, magnasave and ballsave activation, 15 extra balls and multi-ball jackpots that build for the duration of a game. Here is what you need to do if you want to emulate my strategy (and here is a video that demonstrate some of the strategy):

General

- Start the game off by avoiding at all cost to lock a ball into the film reel.
    - Initially concentrate on shooting the ball up the main ramp and then into the cube. The cube should be on the position with the hole on the third lane of the cube. Press both flippers when the ball is above the lane with the hole and the ball will drop into it.
    - If a ball is not locked you will have a very short time to make an "intuitive choice" by pulling one of the triggers when you hit the hole - there are quite a list of "random awards" from points, multiplier increase, hold multiplier etc. but the one that you are looking for is "light extra ball". Because it is an intuitive award I have found that it is actually quite appropriate with the selection it gives you so your chance of getting a "light extra ball" is very good within the first 2 or 3 times.
    - Once the extra ball is lit... shoot up the main ramp, then into the cube again to collect the extra ball by dropping the ball in over the 4th lane.
    - I usually repeat that until I have all 5 extra balls.
    - Once you get enough extra balls it is worth trying to get "Hold Multiplier" through the intuitive award before you actually start playing.
    - Once you are ready; focus on activating your left and only kickback and magnasave. Magnasave do work but you have to be lightning quick and have to lift one of the flippers at the right time to get it right - first practice to get it right before you seriously start playing. Reactivate it again if used. Magnasave is most useful when the ball goes down the right out lane... hold the right flipper up as you press the launch button to activate the magnasave.

Multi-Ball

- You can play all the missions/modes but there is only one strategy that will end up giving you super high scores.
    - It is actually quite simple as it is built around the fact that your multi-ball jackpot can be increased during the game and it is built up and held for the duration of the game.
    - It works for each of the multi-balls but I only play one because I feel it is better to concentrate your efforts and build only one up as quickly and as highly as possible.
    - The one that I played in my high scoring game was levitation multi-ball - to start it, lock a ball into the film reel. Shoot a ball up the main ramp and shoot it into the cube. As soon as the ball is locked into the hole... the multi-ball mode starts and a levitating ball comes out of the hole and start moving down the table. When it comes to a certain point the second ball is released out of the film reel and then the fun starts!
    - To get the super jackpot you need to hit the levitating ball when it hovers close to the table (keep an eye on its shadow - I find I hit it easier when it is over the middle of the table rather than on the sides). Then you have two balls again in play and you have to relock one of the balls into the cube for a jackpot and to start the ball levitating again.
    - Avoid hitting the ball when it is levitating on the right hand side of the table because it can get stuck and you won't be able to continue your game. I managed to hit it on the right by mistake a few times during my high score game and the one time it popped up I nearly had a heart attack
    - You have a couple of seconds while the ball is levitating to try and build your jackpot. I usually try it as soon as the ball is locked as it gives you about 10 - 15 seconds before you have to start focussing on hitting the levitating ball again before the multi-ball ends if you don't hit it soon enough.
    - To build the jackpot you have to hit the ball past Nessie - up the furthest right ramp (Jersey Devil ramp - which is usually closed) or through the Nessie mini-ramp with the top right flipper. Once the ball comes past Nessie you have to hit it with the reverse scoop flipper through the spinner. The rotations of the spinner increases the jackpot.
    - At some point in the game that becomes your fastest way of scoring, but you first have to build up the Jackpot. On my high scoring game my jackpot was on around 103mil with a 206mil super jackpot when my game ended. My score was growing very quickly in the end and my last 50bil was scored in about 4 - 5 hours.
    - The nice thing about this table is that although you basically spam one multi-ball for a high score the other missions get activated from time to time for some variation. I have to admit though that I very rarely play the Haunted Mansion mission because I usually shoot the ball into the cube rather than up there and later on in the game I just focus on the levitation multi ball.

My game lasted 15 hours and I was aiming for a 100bil score and a 100mil jackpot. After I got both I played a little bit further to record this video to demonstrate some of the strategy. I have played 19hours on this table - less than half my usual on a table after a couple of months - and I'm sure I'll never play it again!!!

If I was ever going to go for the high-score again, I would not play Levitation multi-ball. I would rather play Dobbleganger multi-ball because once you have the first ball locked, you can shoot the spinner to up the jackpot value to your hearts content. Here is a more detailed description of how it works.

There you go... good luck!!!
    Last edited by Cloda; 11-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Thank you very much CLODA, wonderful strategy guide.
    I never noticed that we could increase the jackpots!
    I will try this as soon as possible.
    (I predict that the fanatics pinball gamers will go to the trillion.)
    Last edited by Hypno74; 10-28-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the tips Cloda, I'm now in the top 20 on Paranormal and climbing cause of you!! Just passed Shoryukentothechin,lol (has not been posted yet). And thanks Zen for making another fun great table. Love the challenge of Paranormal. Keep the brilliant work coming.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

Thanks for the very nice guide!

Zen realy has to think about putting caps to every increasing score bonus, so things like this or Spiderman wont happen in the future.. as far as i´ve seen here in the forum, even the best players arent happy with easy exploitable grind-mechanics like that and I´m not either, since I play for fun and dont want do grind the same thing over and over again.. on the other hand pinball is always about the score, so with mechasims like that, we get to the point where you actualy have to descide between fun and highscores.. that should never happen! And I always feel kind of dumb when I have to play a game deliberately ineffective to keep up the fun..

It should be easy to just put a cap on such scores.. but it should always be high enough that the cap can only be reached by very good gamers and everyone else will never notice, that there´s a limit.

Thumbs down

Down with caps!!!

Thanks Cloda! I have to definitely try that!
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

Unhappy Zen, we have a problem

Nice work figuring out this strat Cloda.

Unfortunately, this is a game breaking "feature" (or, more likely, mis-design).

Zen, please consider some modifications for the next title update:

- cap the Jackpot bonuses. (What's the point of having a mode that makes every other game mission and target utterly irrelevant? A table should have risk/reward scoring balance, and preferably should not be grindable on a single mode.)

- cap the Mansion bonuses.

- reduce the (truly ridiculous) number of Extra Balls that can be awarded.

- cap the Ball Savers or otherwise nerf them

- remove the stacking on the (already incredibly easy) KickBacks.

And, at the risk of repeating myself toooo much: replace Super Score. It's not just unrepresentative of a player's skill range, it's fundamentally broken.

Further, as a general table design: consider requiring all modes to be completed before the Wizard mode, rather than merely being started.

(Sorry, I can't hide my disappointment. I was looking forward to a challenge with this table. It was going to rekindle my waning interest in Pinball FX. And there are cool things about the table: the core design is good, the production values are great and the theme is excellent. But the lack of difficulty combined with extreme scoring imbalances really harms the table's longevity. A problem shared by most other recent releases... )

Thanks for this guide Cloda - very informative!

I have to say though that its quite disappointing to discover that getting a high score on what at first I thought was a complex table boils down to grinding a mode over and over again. Shame..

There seems to be no incentive to completing all the multi-ball modes. I agree with those who say cap the jackpot bonuses. They should have done this and made a bigger incentive for 'completing' all the multiball modes.

Also the amount of extra balls is ridiculous.

Actually I can save myself a bit of time with this.......basically what Womble said!

I have been disappointed with every table since Mars and I still think Zen's best work are the Core and Marvel multi-packs.

For a company that focus on Pinball they constantly make some very strange design decisions. I think they need to stop patronising their customers with all these ways they come up with to ensure you get a high score or reach a wizard mode.

They should have more confidence in the design of tables like Pasha. I started out on that one, I didnt care that it was difficult. To me it was satisfying just to improve my score by 2 or 3 million.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

- cap the Jackpot bonuses. (What's the point of having a mode that makes every other game mission and target utterly irrelevant? A table should have risk/reward scoring balance, and preferably should not be grindable on a single mode.)

And, at the risk of repeating myself toooo much: replace Super Score. It's not just unrepresentative of a player's skill range, it's fundamentally broken.

Further, as a general table design: consider requiring all modes to be completed before the Wizard mode, rather than merely being started.

(Sorry, I can't hide my disappointment. I was looking forward to a challenge with this table. It was going to rekindle my waning interest in Pinball FX. And there are cool things about the table: the core design is good, the production values are great and the theme is excellent. But the lack of difficulty combined with extreme scoring imbalances really harms the table's longevity. A problem shared by most other recent releases... )
    Zen, please don't listen to this petty nitpicking. You are doing an unbelivable job. Keep cranking out brilliant tables like Paranormal. It is absolutely perfect. Paranormal is a real player's table. Even with all the extra balls it is still very much a challenge. I just scored a billion some odd points and took me about 5 hours. People who complain about this table just cannot achieve any kind of decent score on it.
    Last edited by lasvegaspinballhalloffame; 10-28-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Default Definition of a fanboy

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Well said! I agree 100%.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypno74 View Post
    (I predict that the fanatics pinball gamers will go to the trillion.)
    I predict that you will be first in line

Quote Originally Posted by Sildorian View Post
    Thanks for the very nice guide!

Zen realy has to think about putting caps to every increasing score bonus, so things like this or Spiderman wont happen in the future.. as far as i´ve seen here in the forum, even the best players arent happy with easy exploitable grind-mechanics like that and I´m not either, since I play for fun and dont want do grind the same thing over and over again.. on the other hand pinball is always about the score, so with mechasims like that, we get to the point where you actualy have to descide between fun and highscores.. that should never happen! And I always feel kind of dumb when I have to play a game deliberately ineffective to keep up the fun..

It should be easy to just put a cap on such scores.. but it should always be high enough that the cap can only be reached by very good gamers and everyone else will never notice, that there´s a limit.
    Well put... believe it or not, I hate grinding I just decided if I was going to put 20 hours into this table I can just as well try and do it in one game and score as much as possible at the same time. I have played 5 games on this table and except for maybe trying one or two further things (haven't activated the multi-ball wizard mode yet and have to redo my achievements) I doubt that I will ever put a full game in again. Tables like Earth Defence, Excalibur and Pasha I go back to ever now and then because there is always a challenge and I only have to play and hour or so to have a very rewarding challenge etc.

I fully agree that there should be a cap on all modes, including EOB (like on Mars)... I really, really hope that Epic Quest's 100 level up cap is it and that there is nothing else that will keep on growing.

Fully agree with all you said... as I said above, this table is basically dead for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alipan View Post
    I have been disappointed with every table since Mars and I still think Zen's best work are the Core and Marvel multi-packs.

For a company that focus on Pinball they constantly make some very strange design decisions. I think they need to stop patronising their customers with all these ways they come up with to ensure you get a high score or reach a wizard mode.

They should have more confidence in the design of tables like Pasha. I started out on that one, I didnt care that it was difficult. To me it was satisfying just to improve my score by 2 or 3 million.
    As I have also said before... I really hope that Marvel V&V will have some challenging tables... it seems that Zen is now convinced that the tables have to be as accessible as possible to attract and keep new players. For me this is quite ironic because after a year or so of the fx2/Marvel games being out you would think that they would keep the challenge up and increase it because everybody that has been playing from the beginning skill level would most definitely have improved a lot.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Nice strat' Cloda, most tables do come down to grinding something or another theres not really a way round that, I do agree certain tables more so than others.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

First i'd like to say excellent guide!

Just one thing i've noticed is that Hold bonus doesn't seem to be in the list anymore. I must have shot the cube 50+ times and got all extra balls, but never did i see Hold bonus passing by? :S

I agree with you, man. But i wonder...If Zen's sales are getting better( are they?) maybe this strategy is the right one...As i always say, better 100 noobs happy and 10 pros unhappy than the contrary, since "casual" pinballers are certainly the most,and every company must care about money first...

I surely prefer the old tables and the challenge they offer, the idea of playing 10 or more hours scares me to death.

Good guide, Cloda.

I think if I was going for that strategy, though, I'd go with Doppelganger (the other 2-ball multi), which, though slightly harder to start, has 3 advantages over Levitation:

1) No levitating; I've lost two games because of stuck balls. Though I think I can avoid it now that you've made clear how it's happening (best thing about your guide BTW! ), I hate dealing with the levitating ball anyway.
    2) It's super easy to lock away one of the 2 balls for jackpot increasing just by hitting one into a Triangle hole.
    3) Unless I'm mistaken, the ball you lock away in step 2 stays locked away until you hit another ball into a Triangle hole and when you do you hit the jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
    Good guide, Cloda.

I think if I was going for that strategy, though, I'd go with Doppelganger (the other 2-ball multi), which, though slightly harder to start, has 3 advantages over Levitation:

1) No levitating; I've lost two games because of stuck balls. Though I think I can avoid it now that you've made clear how it's happening (best thing about your guide BTW! ), I hate dealing with the levitating ball anyway.
    2) It's super easy to lock away one of the 2 balls for jackpot increasing just by hitting one into a Triangle hole.
    3) Unless I'm mistaken, the ball you lock away in step 2 stays locked away until you hit another ball into a Triangle hole and when you do you hit the jackpot.
    I actually considered that as well (before I figured out that the levitation multi-ball) only glitch on the right hand side. If I could find a smooth way to lock the ball with the stupid magnet I would most probably have gone that way. In the end I actually appreciated the levitating ball because for 15 or so seconds it is out of your way and you can just concentrate on raising the jackpot. One thing I didn't mention in the guide is that if you hit the spinner real hard and you quickly manage to go around the mini-orbit and manage to get it past Nessie again with the top right flipper and through the spinner again before it stop spinning with the reverse scoop... the jackpot just keeps on building (I have a clip of that in my video that I will post later). I managed once or twice during the game to within a couple of seconds build my jackpot by almost a million by having a nice run with that sequence. If you are too late and shoot it through the spinner it doesn't register and doesn't build the Jackpot. Another thing about the levitation multi-ball is that if you miss the levitating ball the first time the multi-ball starts and the time run out.. you get a "Second Chance" for about 20 or so seconds to quickly get the ball up the main ramp again and into the cube to basically restart the multi-ball.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    If I could find a smooth way to lock the ball with the stupid magnet I would most probably have gone that way.
    Granted, it does take some practice. I've managed to get to the point where 3 out of 4 times I hit the hole. I might not have gotten the practice in except that when you complete Spontaneous Combustion or 4th Dimension, the cube resets to Doppelganger and I wanted to get my cube bonuses (specifically, hold multiplier) without relocking, selecting Levitation, and going through that mode again.

Thanks for this guide Cloda - very informative!

I have to say though that its quite disappointing to discover that getting a high score on what at first I thought was a complex table boils down to grinding a mode over and over again. Shame..

There seems to be no incentive to completing all the multi-ball modes. I agree with those who say cap the jackpot bonuses. They should have done this and made a bigger incentive for 'completing' all the multiball modes.

Also the amount of extra balls is ridiculous.

Actually I can save myself a bit of time with this.......basically what Womble said!

When Zen makes difficult tables people complain. Extreme is loathed. Ironman & Pasha are generally disliked. Zen must focus on the majority of gamers. Very few players are as good as you & some of the elites on the board. If Zen just catered to the few thousand instead of hundreds of thousands, Zen would be in 'a world of hurt.'

Zen should come out with some tough tables for the hardcore, but that's not smart business wise, especially if you want to attract beginners to pinball. It's just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedwonder View Post
    First i'd like to say excellent guide!

Just one thing i've noticed is that Hold bonus doesn't seem to be in the list anymore. I must have shot the cube 50+ times and got all extra balls, but never did i see Hold bonus passing by? :S
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it, it should be "Hold Multiplier".

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Thx for the guide! Although I really hate the spamming for hiscores... It takes all the fun for me. I wish Zen could program the tables so that spamming isn't worth it. It also makes me wonder if I should buy additional tables.

Is it a legitimate tactic to just keep putting the ball in an unlit hole on the cube and picking up the 1 and 2 million rewards. Do these ever run out?

I find the levitation multiball quite time consuming whereas for a while I was picking up the rewards very quickly - when I was in the zone I could get one every 20 seconds or so.

I was trying a few things in my game this afternoon to break things up a bit. The Alligator game is a nice 9 million once you get it activated. Also the make the beast dizzy is an easy 10 million at least.

The Levitation multiball is probably the best long term tactic but as Cloda mentions it takes a while to get its value up. For some players of lesser ability than Cloda this may not be the best way to maximise their scoring potential.

Hey how about this: You build up the jackpots on levitation, then when you're high enough you switch to Doppelganger where it's easier to get the jackpots themselves?

I think the different multiballs have separate jackpot values - nice bit of lateral thinking though.

By the by, on hitting the Doppelganger hole: While it looks like you're going for a horizontal pull of the magnet, it's actually slightly up as well as being to the right. So, the best method I've found is starting (and fairly quickly stopping) the magnet pull as soon as the ball has open space to the right. This pulls it diagonally down/right which gives it a little bounce up as it continues right to the hole. Also, if you miss low you can quickly tap the magnet to get it to the left side of the cube, then quickly tap the magnet again after it bounces off the left wall to bring it back right - if timed right, you'll get enough velocity so that the upward lip below the magnet will provide enough vertical to get it into the hole.

For some reason, I enjoy these little magnet minigames.

Zen realy has to think about putting caps to every increasing score bonus, so things like this or Spiderman wont happen in the future..
    Somehow, not sure how, I missed this post before I made my own.

(Obviously) I agree with you 100%. Sorry to basically repeat what you had already said.

Exclamation

Most peoplewill not be able to rasie the levitation jackpot as high as Cloda. You're better off with the much easier fourth dimension. More fun too actually.

Thumbs up

nice guide, thx for the work putting it all together, you really kicked the shit out of the table, thought i need new glasses after i saw your highscore

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Most peoplewill not be able to rasie the levitation jackpot as high as Cloda. You're better off with the much easier fourth dimension. More fun too actually.
    Yeah...Not much longer to activate, and faster to get jackpots and raise them.... Really appreciated your guide,Cloda( they're ALWAYS useful), the strategy is perfect, i guess though that everyone can pick their favourite multiball mode. Well done, man!

Exclamation

I don't get why people would wanna put caps on jackpots and such. I couldn't go into the Pinball museum here in Vegas and tell Tim Arnold that Spiderman is giving out too many extra balls and high jackpots so I want him to put a cap on or change these things. Well, I guess I could, but he'd probably ask me what drugs I'm currently on. Just accept the tables for the way that Zen designed them unless there is some mind numbing glitch on it like ball acceleration like the PS3 tables have.
    Last edited by lasvegaspinballhalloffame; 10-29-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuprichy View Post
    Yeah...Not much longer to activate, and faster to get jackpots and raise them.... Really appreciated your guide,Cloda( they're ALWAYS useful), the strategy is perfect, i guess though that everyone can pick their favourite multiball mode. Well done, man!
    My gameplay video should be on my youtube page soon (http://www.youtube.com/user/Cloda007). Take a look at that and maybe you will see why I specifically played levitation multi-ball;

- easy to start - only need one locked ball so less chance of losing a ball through normal play.
    - levitating ball is out of the way for 20 seconds or so allowing you to concentrate on raising the jackpot.
    - It becomes easier to hit the levitating ball once you get used to focusing on the shadow.
    - once you get used to it, it becomes relatively easy to get the ball into the cube again to get the jackpot.

Not saying the others once aren't possible... this just worked well for me.

I don't get why people would wanna put caps on jackpots and such. I couldn't go into the Pinball museum here in Vegas and tell Tim Arnold that Spiderman is giving out too many extra balls and high jackpots so I want him to put a cap on or change these things. Well, I guess I could, but he'd probably ask me what drugs I'm currently on. Just accept the tables for the way that Zen designed them unless there is some mind numbing glitch on it like ball acceleration like the PS3 tables have.
    I agree that they will most probably never change the existing tables. This is more an appeal to Zen to puts caps on jackpots, EOB bonus, extra balls etc. as they design their further tables. As someone said... the less skilled players will most probably not even know about it, but the guys at the top will feel there is more of a chance to play a reasonable time on a table and still get a chance at a top score.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

I don't get why people would wanna put caps on jackpots and such. I couldn't go into the Pinball museum here in Vegas and tell Tim Arnold that Spiderman is giving out too many extra balls and high jackpots so I want him to put a cap on or change these things
    Of course you could. Virtually all SS and later machines provide operator-level access to settings for things like extra balls, the default number of balls, free replay targets, table pitch, tilt bob sensitivity, specific score progression rules, etc.

Extra Balls are routinely capped or banned in tournament play, on all but the most primitive machines. Some machines are avoided entirely in tournament play precisely because they're grindfests, or because they have exploitable bugs.

And all the major manufacturers have distributed ROM updates for their games, in order to fix bugs, scoring exploits, difficulty levels, etc. And Stern still do it (albeit via USB upgrades.) Commonly, a new table is a very early WIP, and it's fully expected that the design will be fleshed out and improved over time.

The machines also produce statistics, showing the impact of the various settings to the bottom line.

It's ironic, but the certification/QA requirements (and costs) and limitations of XBLA and PSN means that a fully digital game like Zen's may have even fewer updates than a real, physical machine.

There's nothing holy or sacrosanct about the choices Zen have made. They are all subject to change. (See: Rocky & Bullwinkle.) Things slip by even the best designers. The trick is to fix the problem areas, iron out the gross imbalances.

BTW, it is not demeaning or disparaging Zen to point out where they can improve. Informed feedback and constructive criticism helps Zen improve their products. And they seem to welcome it. More importantly, Zen acts on these suggestions. So there's no need to go all defensive on Zen's behalf whenever someone suggests changes or points out problem areas.
    Last edited by Womble; 10-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.

BTW, it is not demeaning or disparaging Zen to point out where they can improve. Informed feedback and constructive criticism helps Zen improve their products. And they seem to welcome it. More importantly, Zen acts on these suggestions.
    I couldn't agree more, objective feedback is exactly what people at Zen want. They said it many times. Their attitude is that of intelligent creators.

Default Strategy Guide Video

I'm no expert in making videos or editing so I hope you can make out everything decently enough!!!

In this video I demonstrate some of the elements of the high scoring strategy guide for Paranormal. It shows you how to lock the ball, start the levitation multi ball mode, raise the jackpot value and score the super jackpot by hitting the levitating ball.

The footage was taken from my high scoring game after I reached my goals of a 100bil score and a 100mil levitation jackpot.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Excellent work there Cloda. Cheers.

Omfg, just got 2 bil and got the damn bug where the ball is stuck on the right side of the table. I knew the bug was there and to not shoot when the ball was floating right, but accidentally did and ofc it happened. Won't do another try again sigh...

Pfff, after 15 mins i was finally able to get the ball back on the plunger with nudging while the table was on tilt and it got shot back on the table. Only lost 1 ball and that's better then 1 whole game :')

Taking a break now at 3 bil and glad to be still going. I'm really not as good as raising the jackpot as Cloda since it's only 11 mil now and i know i won't even get like 10% of the score, but just gonna try to make the best of it and then leaving the table to rest for some months :P
    Last edited by Wickedwonder; 10-30-2011 at 02:21 AM.

While Paranormal File #1 is the easiest to activate, you can advance the jackpot value on any of the 4 Paranormal multi-ball modes (I'm not sure if the Jackpot value carries over on Paranormal File #5 - Wizard mode between each time you play it.)

Personally I think Paranormal File #4 is more fun to play, since you start off with 3 balls in play. You also don't have to go through the levitation process to keep getting jackpots. It does take a bit more to start this mission though.

Yeah true, but been on the same game now for a day and saving in between so just gonna finish this one with levitation. I'll probably will do that mode then in my next game much later on ^^

Thumbs up

Fourth Dimension is so fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
    Personally I think Paranormal File #4 is more fun to play, since you start off with 3 balls in play. You also don't have to go through the levitation process to keep getting jackpots. It does take a bit more to start this mission though.
    Another nice thing about 4th Dimension is that you get the teleports which often send the balls down the Nessie ramp (with the handy audio cue to remind you), giving you more shots at spinning up the jackpot. On the one billion-plus game I've had so far, I managed to get the jackpot on 4th Dimension up to about 4 million and I was playing the table "straight," activating each multiball in turn, activating wizard, and repeating.

Also with 4th Dimension, you can get your box bonuses easier because you get a straight shot to two holes and they can stay open indefinitely with no risk of a locked ball making them flash again.

If I decide to try grinding the table (in my pathetic, inefficient way), I'll be using 4th Dimension to do it.

Arrow Pinball Expert has found a small sensation!!!!!

Hey, guys. Listen to me! I've found out yesterday a small sensation...how you can get a skill shot EVERY TIME befor you launch the ball. Just use the right analog stick and don't bend the spring to much. If you can handle that correctly, the ball lands on a second ramp instead of the table but even if not you get a skill shot (500.000 Points) in most cases. From the second ramp you can even get a Super Skillshot (1,5M) with the left shooter. With this trick I got up to 33M for a game and that's quite a lot for this table. I could even make a video of this if you like.

BTW: I'm currently searching for some players playing with me so I could demonstrate this as well. Just add me under XBox Live: PARALAX1974
    Last edited by PARALAX; 10-30-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PARALAX View Post
    I got up to 33M for a game and that's quite a lot for this table.

To be honest, it is not. Getting 1 or 2 millions on this table is very quick and easy, there are other methods to do it : for example, with the Clairvoyance Reward, you can get 2 millions by just selecting the right entry in a DMD menu. Another method to get 1 million very easily is to enter the Haunted Mansion and to shoot the ball outside so it get caught by the UFO.

But thank you for sharing your Skillshot technics, I'm sure it will be useful.

With this trick I got up to 33M for a game and that's quite a lot for this table. I could even make a video of this if you like.
    Go for it. All videos gratefully accepted, and linked from the videos page.

Cheers.

Go for it. All videos gratefully accepted, and linked from the videos page.

Cheers.

Yeah that would be nice !

Actually, there are 3 parts to the skillshot:
    Hitting the ball through the Nessie spinner is one part; landing on the rail leading to Nessie is another part; and exiting the launch rail in the middle (requires a low power launch) is another part. Performing one part awards a skillshot, 2 parts a double skillshot, and all 3 a super skillshot.

As you can see, there is only one way to get the super skillshot: you must exit the launch rail in the middle, thus dumping the ball at the upper right flipper, then hit the ball up the Nessie ramp in the center of the playfield to get to the rail leading to Nessie, then go through the spinner.

But the double skillshot can be earned in multiple ways, for example: a full power launch going all the way to the scoop, followed by a well-timed hit with the upper right flipper to get onto the rail leading to Nessie (skillshot), then go through the spinner (double skillshot).
    Or: a medium power launch that doesn't quite reach the scoop but lands on the rail leading to Nessie (skillshot), followed by the spinner (double skillshot).

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Another method to get 1 million very easily is to enter the Haunted Mansion and to shoot the ball outside so it get caught by the UFO.

Year, right! But at least in my opinion it's very tricky to move the ball in this mini game to the other direction because the very strange magnetic field. I try this by holding both buttons and release them as short as possible or is there another trick to do that?

Also relaunching the ball to the house in possible 2-3 times if the ball is going down but you still need a bit luck to hit the door 2 times for entering.

Default Haunted House

I usually don't favor grinding, but my strategy is to use the haunted house mission a lot. I have fun every time and rewards 20 Mil with each completion.

I managed to up my score to 900 million last night using the levitation ball tactic.

It would have been much more but I managed to drain my second ball without winning any extras. That was ‘annoying’ – in fact it caused me to unleash several expletives.

There is a tremendous amount of pressure when you start your second and third balls to make sure you win the initial extra ball. The difference between having 1 ball and 6 is immense!

I will probably try and get one decent 18 ball game with this table and then move on to other objectives.

What's the bet that Zen make this the next tournament table?

In search of... ONE TRILLION POINTS! Aaaaaaargh.

re: Doppelganger mission.

Once you understand the magnet you'll activate the mission nearly every time. Doppelganger is going to be my choice of missions when I make a run at this table. Once you've hit a jackpot with one ball, you're free to focus purely on raising the jackpot levels, in fact you will not want to hit a second jackpot and release your captive ball. If you're bad at precision shooting with two balls like me, you can essentially be using this strategy with one ball. Once your jackpot is high enough, (all relative), then obviously focus on shooting jackpots with both balls at that point.

When you lose the ball, the game just reverts to its normal cycle and your captive ball becomes the one in play, where you rinse repeat.

Got pretty discouraged when Cloda crushed my soul, but the itch to play again is coming back like it always does

Interesting idea about doppleganger, might give that a go at some point.

What's the bet that Zen make this the next tournament table?

In search of... ONE TRILLION POINTS! Aaaaaaargh.
    But that target has been reached by blue.

Can someone tell me if the jackpot bonus carries over for "real" balls? I know it does from ball 1-1 to 1-6, but will it also from 1-6 to 2-1?

I'd test myself, but I'm already knee deep in a run at this table

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    Can someone tell me if the jackpot bonus carries over for "real" balls? I know it does from ball 1-1 to 1-6, but will it also from 1-6 to 2-1?

I'd test myself, but I'm already knee deep in a run at this table
    It does, it carries over for the whole game else you won't be able to build it up so nicely. Can't remember but SotD is only per ball (not even just per "real" balls) which is not as spammable.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Year, right! But at least in my opinion it's very tricky to move the ball in this mini game to the other direction because the very strange magnetic field. I try this by holding both buttons and release them as short as possible or is there another trick to do that?

Also relaunching the ball to the house in possible 2-3 times if the ball is going down but you still need a bit luck to hit the door 2 times for entering.
    If you time it right, you can use the balls momentum to get the ball to the UFO. It is tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    To be honest, it is not. Getting 1 or 2 millions on this table is very quick and easy, there are other methods to do it : for example, with the Clairvoyance Reward, you can get 2 millions by just selecting the right entry in a DMD menu. Another method to get 1 million very easily is to enter the Haunted Mansion and to shoot the ball outside so it get caught by the UFO.

& making the devil dizzy..If you are good you can make 20m shooting the same ramp over & over.

Yeah, a lot of things give you millions in this table.But if you want to enter the billions kingdom, use Cloda's strategy. Choose the multiball you prefer, but increasing the multiball jackpot is the only way to score big.And be ready for a VERY long game...

I played the other multi-balls a bit and have now come to the conclusion, as others have suggested, that the levitation multi-ball is not necessarily your best bet for a super high score.... or to put it in a different way, for the same amount of time spent on a game, some of the other multi-balls will end up giving you a higher score than Levitation multi-ball.

The one that seems the quickest and most straight forward for me is the Dobbleganger multiball... once you get the magnet trick right for locking the ball in on the cube, it becomes quite easy to do.

The big advantage of this multi-ball is that you can basically store one of the balls away in one of the Bermuda triangle holes and then you can focus all your attentions on raising the jackpot much quicker than you would through levitation multi-ball. Once you are ready you can then quite quickly and efficiently score jackpots and Super Jackpots (you even get a consolation jackpot if you mess it up ).

Anyway... I didn't test it, it just looks as if it can be a much more efficient approach.

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Are there any particular bugs to look out for on Doppelganger multiball?

My game glitched last week on Levitation multiball after 4 hours play and I vowed not to return until the table is fixed.

I could be persuaded to try this method though if its not so buggy..

I'm on a Doppleganger game now, my first ball I raised the Jackpot to over 3m before a silly loss of my first ball (5 remaining to the next real ball), my score is already in the 100's of millions, due to the tables exponential nature, ball one is the lowest scoring ball and each successive ball will raise the score higher and higher.

I'm not sure how I feel about scoring points this way, but if I want to catch Cloda back up then I guess this is what I must do.

Are there any particular bugs to look out for on Doppelganger multiball?

My game glitched last week on Levitation multiball after 4 hours play and I vowed not to return until the table is fixed.

I could be persuaded to try this method though if its not so buggy..

My game just glitched It was my first run after reading the guides (and I think my third or fourth on this table ever).. I got the full 18 Balls, was on ball #14 with 890M.. and on my way to score my very first billion ever..

I was very carefull not to trigger any known glitches.. kept my fingers off the levitation multiball and never touched the upper left flipper, when the ball came down from the mansion.. so here is what happened:

During the game, I locked the second ball in the film reel and managed to get a skillshot after that. It was the first of the three-step-skillshot and the second I hit it, one of the balls from the film reel fell out. Since there are moments when you have to choose a phenomenon or something on the score-screen, I lost the second ball very quick and wasnt sure if that was a bug or some feature I haven´t encountered before.
    Soon after that I startet the Doppleganger-Multiball and scored 1 Jackpot right away.. but since there was an empty space in the Film Reel, it turned without giving me a second ball. My first ball locked was rolling around in the triangle and now theres nothig I could do.. I waitet a while and tried tilting the game.. now it is tilt, but the ball keeps rolling around in the triangle.. so I have no way to finish it.

So even with Doppleganger there can go something wrong, but I think this bug would´ve caused problems with any of the multiballs.. if you ever encounter a situation where the game gives you a second ball without having activated a Multiball-Mode, you should think about drowning both balls an lose one of your balls rather than breaking the whole game.

I don´t think Im gonne touch this table again as long as there´s no patch

Well, no one should, there are too many bugs now...

Just had a fatal glitch was on ball 1.6 with a score of 936m with a jackpot at 10,100,000 each (20m for Super and 30m for Mega) as well at that point.

Will start over I guess but that will be later now.

My glitch came from a nudge on the table as it went out of play. Essentially, the game was tricked into thinking the ball is in play when it went out and didn't feed the locked ball back to the play field.

If that hadn't happened I believe it could have been a 10bn point game.

Sympathies Neko, I had a similar thing happen to me.

Unfortunately some people do seem to be completing their games - I know this as I now have 2 friends who I have beat on nearly every other table with much higher superscores than me. All because of Paranormal.

Oh and thanks for the feedback Sildorian. I think I will leave this table alone for now...

Oh and thanks for the feedback Sildorian. I think I will leave this table alone for now...

Totally agree.We'll pick it up again when it will be its turn in Nekro's tournament...

Yeah hopefully it will be patched by then.

Actually one of my reasons for doing the tournament is to improve my scores on the lower scoring tables and tables I have neglected.

Then hopefully if Zen do re-calculate the superscore all the work Im going to do on tables like Extreme and Speed Machine will have been worthwhile - bwah-ha-ha....

all the work Im going to do on tables like Extreme and Speed Machine will have been worthwhile - bwah-ha-ha....
    With all the good intentions, i know i won't put too much time in these..Not very spectacular, to say the least.

Not even sure the SS change will happen that soon...but surely i too hope so!

Looks like the Trillion is broken!
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

My game is still active but I had to stp for the night. Here is how my score has evolved so far.

Mins Score Difference
    30 207m 207m
    60 677m 470m
    90 1710m 1033m
    120 2832m 1122m
    150 3795m 963m
    180 5261m 1466m
    210 7646m 2385m

240 9147m 1501
    270 12095m 2948
    300 14545m 2450
    330 17782m 3237
    360 21820m 4038
    390 25636m 3816

The gap is the end of Ball 1 + 5 EBs. Currently only B2.2 with a Jackpot of 40m

Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    ...with a jackpot at 10,100,000 each (20m for Super and 30m for Mega)...
    I may be misremembering, but aren't the Mega Jackpots worth 4x the jackpot value? Also, I could only ever get Mega Jackpots on 3 of the missions: Spontaneous Combustion, 4th Dimension and Wizards Cube; has anyone managed to get Mega Jackpots on the other 2?

Quote Originally Posted by fedire View Post
    I may be misremembering, but aren't the Mega Jackpots worth 4x the jackpot value? Also, I could only ever get Mega Jackpots on 3 of the missions: Spontaneous Combustion, 4th Dimension and Wizards Cube; has anyone managed to get Mega Jackpots on the other 2?
    On doppelganger the Mega Jackpot is when you get it in the "wrong" hole forcing you to meet your doppelganger and ending the mode.

My current game is now up to 62bn and a Jackpot of 65m

Yes, Mega jackpots are worth 4x, super jackpots are 2x.

Okay, I've now passed Cloda and surprisingly jop (he popped up after I got Clodas superscore as the next target, he must've just posted a score). They both had massive scores, Cloda on 105bn and jop on 160bn. I'm now scoring 13bn every 30 minute period (Jackpot at 115m). I'm on my last 6 balls now with 190bn on the scoreboard.

Average ball time.

Balls 1.1 - 1.6 = 35 minutes. (Ball 1.1 actually lasted 102 minutes alone)
    Balls 2.1 - 2.6 = 125 minutes.

Total time so far - 16hrs 30mins

Awesome score nekro!
    Will be a nice 2nd place!
    I wasnt as good as nekro and cloda (and zuprichy, holy sh*t dude! ) in raising my jackpot.. 'only' had 87million in the end. On ball 3 I just wanted to finish since i completed all goals i had set. Becoming pinball king was one of em, but Nekro is gonna snatch it back.

Off topic: R&B patch due to superscore inflation --> spiderman tourney.. and now this.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Wow you guys a single handly breaking the superscore lol... yep defo a fix is needed.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Great scoring guys but I have to admit that as far as superscore is concerned this is making me a little depressed.....it is totally ruined now.

/has low Paranormal score

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    Wow you guys a single handly breaking the superscore lol... yep defo a fix is needed.
    I'll be honest, it does make a mockery of the whole superscore thing.

I played again earlier for 30 minutes, managed to lose 2 balls Gone over 200bn now though

Great scoring guys but I have to admit that as far as superscore is concerned this is making me a little depressed.....it is totally ruined now.

/has low Paranormal score
    Well, we can't blame this table (altough here the scores can grow incredibily), it was already gone to hell before( spidey tournament and all)...if it ever had any sense.

My game just glitched It was my first run after reading the guides (and I think my third or fourth on this table ever).. I got the full 18 Balls, was on ball #14 with 890M.. and on my way to score my very first billion ever..

I was very carefull not to trigger any known glitches.. kept my fingers off the levitation multiball and never touched the upper left flipper, when the ball came down from the mansion.. so here is what happened:

During the game, I locked the second ball in the film reel and managed to get a skillshot after that. It was the first of the three-step-skillshot and the second I hit it, one of the balls from the film reel fell out. Since there are moments when you have to choose a phenomenon or something on the score-screen, I lost the second ball very quick and wasnt sure if that was a bug or some feature I haven´t encountered before.
    Soon after that I startet the Doppleganger-Multiball and scored 1 Jackpot right away.. but since there was an empty space in the Film Reel, it turned without giving me a second ball. My first ball locked was rolling around in the triangle and now theres nothig I could do.. I waitet a while and tried tilting the game.. now it is tilt, but the ball keeps rolling around in the triangle.. so I have no way to finish it.

So even with Doppleganger there can go something wrong, but I think this bug would´ve caused problems with any of the multiballs.. if you ever encounter a situation where the game gives you a second ball without having activated a Multiball-Mode, you should think about drowning both balls an lose one of your balls rather than breaking the whole game.

I have to add something to this story:

I loaded the savegame in the state as described above with a little spark of hope, that it somehow magically unglitched itself by now

At first everything was as I left it.. Table was on Tilt and the Ball rolling around in the triangle. I bumped it sometimes, played around in the options-menu, bumped it some more and all of a sudden, the triangle-trapped-ball disappered and the table threw a new ball into the game.. still tilt, I coulnd do anything but watch it drown, but the table registered that correctly and reset the table for the next ball I thought I could finish my game now, but no new ball ever arrived at the launcher.. it says "shoot again" and everything looks fine, just like when the next extraball is about to start, but no ball is coming in.. I tried bumping like a mad man and even managed to get both Chupacapra-Eyes in place only by bumping ^^ I got the score for that and the table doesnt tilt or anything, but still no ball in play..

Atleast all the bugs and glitches fit the theme of the table.. it´s called Paranormal for a reason!

Well I finally managed to complete a game of Paranormal today - nowhere near some of the scores above but got me in the top 50 so Im happy.

Doppleganger definitely makes for a more enjoyable game than Levitation - the jackpot goes up faster and theres more action, you dont have to sit there waiting whilst that damn ball floats up and down.

Note to Zen: Floating balls are always a bad idea - Mars used to drive me mad as well....

Anyhow what I wanted to say was for all this tables (many) flaws surely the shot with the upside down flipper through the gate is one of the most satisfying in FX2?

Anyhow what I wanted to say was for all this tables (many) flaws surely the shot with the upside down flipper through the gate is one of the most satisfying in FX2?
    Not when you do it 1400 times in one game :P

Ha ha well when you put it like that....

Exclamation

Well I finally managed to complete a game of Paranormal today - nowhere near some of the scores above but got me in the top 50 so Im happy.

Doppleganger definitely makes for a more enjoyable game than Levitation - the jackpot goes up faster and theres more action, you dont have to sit there waiting whilst that damn ball floats up and down.

Note to Zen: Floating balls are always a bad idea - Mars used to drive me mad as well....

The 4th Dimension is one of the most satisfying mutli- balls out of all of the tables. I can't hit the nessie shot every time when I'm trying to raise up the jackpot though. It is satisfying when you make it though, agreed.
    Last edited by lasvegaspinballhalloffame; 11-18-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Do these strategies work for ZP 2 ?
    Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26