Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighFive
    • Sep 2018

Pinball FX3 on Mac OS. Got a few questions

Might be trying to switch soon from the PC world leaving my Surface Book, and get a Macbook Pro or Air. But got some concern about it.

- How well does FX3 it run on these lower gpu videocard included in these Macbook? Does Intel Iris Plus 640 on Pro 2018-2017, Intel UHD 617 on Air, Intel HD 6000 on Air 2017 are enough to run it smoothly at least at 720p resolution?

- Well, to get FX3, im guessing the Mac OS version is available threw Steam?

- Does Mac version can be setup for cabinet, portrait mode?
    Last edited by HighFive; 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM.
  • cocothetrain
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by HighFive
    Might be trying to switch soon from the PC world leaving my Surface Book, and get a Macbook Pro or Air. But got some concern about it.

- How well does FX3 it run on these lower gpu videocard included in these Macbook? Does Intel Iris Plus 640 on Pro 2018-2017, Intel UHD 617 on Air, Intel HD 6000 on Air 2017 are enough to run it smoothly at least at 720p resolution?

- Well, to get FX3, im guessing the Mac OS version is available threw Steam?

- Does Mac version can be setup for cabinet, portrait mode?
    Hey, to give you some answers on these:

1 - FX3 Mac version runs OK on lower end GPUs but don't expect super smooth and your laptop is going to get very hot.

2 - FX3 Mac needs to be downloaded though the Apple App store, it is separate from Steam. The Steam version will not run on Mac.

3 - Currently that Mac version cannot be setup for cabinet mode. I will have to check on portrait mode though.

Comment

• HighFive
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by cocothetrain
      Hey, to give you some answers on these:

1 - FX3 Mac version runs OK on lower end GPUs but don't expect super smooth and your laptop is going to get very hot.

2 - FX3 Mac needs to be downloaded though the Apple App store, it is separate from Steam. The Steam version will not run on Mac.

3 - Currently that Mac version cannot be setup for cabinet mode. I will have to check on portrait mode though.
      Hey thanks for these answer. Was thinking if one day i decide to make a caninet to use a macbook to do it, but if performance is hurt, maybe will look at something else to do it.

Comment

• McLovin
        Marketing Manager
        • Apr 2017

Hi HighFive,

thanks cocothetrain for the help.

The Mac version of the game is called Zen Pinball and has all tables that FX3 has. Although the game itself is a little different, it resembles the Zen Pinball mobile app or PFX2/Zen Pinball 2 more. It should be okay to run on a Mac (especially if it's a new one)

Comment

• Cloda
          Pinball Wizard
          • Nov 2010

I run Zen Pinball 2 and it works very well on my 2015 Macbook Pro. It is definitely not the Steam version and has quite a few shortcomings; the most obvious being that you can't save in the middle of a game, there are no online leaderboards so you have no community to compare your scores to (I would love to take part in some of the facebook community weekly tournaments), you don't have tournament physics mode for the Williams tables and there is no portrait mode. I don't care for all the FX3 gimmicky stuff (Powerups etc), but that is also missing if that was something you were looking for.

At least I can play the new tables and I'm grateful for the opportunity to play the Williams tables without having to buy a new PC or console and importantly for me, for the Williams tables you have both the zen physics and the classic arcade physics and with the option to play with the graphical enhancements. The physics and thus gameplay, as far as I can tell, is on par with the FX3 physics (both standard and arcade physics) based on gameplay videos that I have watched, so that is probably the most important aspect and I'm very grateful for that.
          Last edited by Cloda; 03-12-2019, 04:31 PM.
          XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Comment

• HighFive
            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by McLovin
            Hi HighFive,

thanks cocothetrain for the help.

The Mac version of the game is called Zen Pinball and has all tables that FX3 has. Although the game itself is a little different, it resembles the Zen Pinball mobile app or PFX2/Zen Pinball 2 more. It should be okay to run on a Mac (especially if it's a new one)
            Thanks for the answer McLovin. Still going to try to trade my Surface for a Macbook, but if i want a cabinet one day, i think ill look at other option, not use the Mac version since its not supported.

Comment

• HighFive
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Cloda
              I run Zen Pinball 2 and it works very well on my 2015 Macbook Pro. It is definitely not the Steam version and has quite a few shortcomings; the most obvious being that you can't save in the middle of a game, there are no online leaderboards so you have no community to compare your scores to (I would love to take part in some of the facebook community weekly tournaments), you don't have tournament physics mode for the Williams tables and there is no portrait mode. I don't care for all the FX3 gimmicky stuff (Powerups etc), but that is also missing if that was something you were looking for.

At least I can play the new tables and I'm grateful for the opportunity to play the Williams tables without having to buy a new PC or console and importantly for me, for the Williams tables you have both the zen physics and the classic arcade physics and with the option to play with the graphical enhancements. The physics and thus gameplay, as far as I can tell, is on par with the FX3 physics (both standard and arcade physics) based on gameplay videos that I have watched, so that is probably the most important aspect and I'm very grateful for that.
              Thanks for these info, very useful . Gaming atm on IOS and Switch, its just one day i am planning to get a cabinet, the Mac version seem to be not the way to go.

Comment

• cocothetrain
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by HighFive
                Thanks for these info, very useful . Gaming atm on IOS and Switch, its just one day i am planning to get a cabinet, the Mac version seem to be not the way to go.
                I will have to check the next time I am at home, but I do not believe the Mac version has cabinet mode on it. I believe that is Steam only.

Comment

Working...