Thread: Marvel supports SOPA

Default Marvel supports SOPA

It's an American bill that stands chance of passing and breaking the internet, if you're not familiar Stephen Colbert lays it out and provides a few LOLs along the way:

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/02/ste...ains-sopa.html

There's also been a list of supporters of this scary bill published by Congress, and Marvel (under Disney) is on the list.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/22/li...pa-supporters/

Money talks (there's a successful boycott against godaddy right now) so I feel a little funny to be excited about the release of another Marvel table on iOS

On the other hand, I know Zen Studios is small and would hate to suggest boycotting their awesome product.

So this note is just to say, as an active consumer, I hope to see more of Zen Studio's original tables released before we see any more Marvel material.

This is coming from someone raised on X-MEN! Along those lines, if you're looking to read comics on your iPad from a company that doesn't support SOPA, look into VIZ Manga

KickBeaten Down

If you're going to boycott Marvel, you're also going to have to boycott every major American sport, essentially every American movie, and almost all major recording artists. You'll need to give up all your Visa and Mastercards, report the BBB to the BBB, cancel your Comcast or Time Warner TV/internet, and stop watching quite a few TV channels and programs. And your selection of books just got quite a bit smaller.

I think it's a stupid bill, but a boycott is only effective in certain situations. The amount of money Marvel gets from us is a drop in the bucket, and even if we stopped producing Marvel tables immediately and permanently, the loss of income would be far too insignificant to give them even a moment's pause, much less change their mind about anything important.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    If you're going to boycott Marvel, you're also going to have to boycott every major American sport, essentially every American movie, and almost all major recording artists. You'll need to give up all your Visa and Mastercards, report the BBB to the BBB, cancel your Comcast or Time Warner TV/internet, and stop watching quite a few TV channels and programs. And your selection of books just got quite a bit smaller.

I think it's a stupid bill, but a boycott is only effective in certain situations. The amount of money Marvel gets from us is a drop in the bucket, and even if we stopped producing Marvel tables immediately and permanently, the loss of income would be far too insignificant to give them even a moment's pause, much less change their mind about anything important.
    So true!

If you really want to make a difference, then write a letter/email to your state Senator or House of Representative. They are going to listen to you far more than a company that you are boycotting. Especially, if they are running for re-election and you're a registered voter.
    Last edited by shogun00; 01-01-2012 at 05:06 AM.

This bill will cause more harm than good. Its not a good idea to censor the internet and infringe our rights to use the internet, which is to view and share information. Basically only the big industrial companies got their way into this and never let technological sites have any say in it whatsoever. Its bad enough to listen to music on Youtube with WMG taking out the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post

Please don't stop supporting Marvel tables.
    You guys are really doing a bang up job. While I enjoy the bloody hell out of your in house tables, I recognize that the licensed tables are what draw the people to the product.

Yeah, you'd do more good tweeting one thing about how you're not buying any more comics for your iPhone because of SOPA than trying to make a point with this game. What Marvel is really worried about right now is staying relevant to 2012 in any way that doesn't involve a movie screen.

Boycotting Marvel tables would more likely be taken as a vote against pinball by Microsoft and Sony, as opposed to any affect it would have on SOPA.

Personally, I cut my support for Marvel Comics down to almost nothing a long, long time ago. When they got together with DC and copyrighted the term "super hero", which remains, to this day, the most ridiculous and abusive use of the copyright system I've ever seen. They've never been a very nice company. Just ask Jack Kirby.

yea i think sony supports sopa , stop online piracy act , what else can i say .

Quote Originally Posted by maink View Post
    yea i think sony supports sopa , stop online piracy act , what else can i say .
    Sony Music does, but the game division retracted their support for the bill.

maybe they removed it because anonymous is planning to attack sony again , i think they said they will hack so everything on ps store is free ,, on january 23rd .. i don't think gonna happen. also im in canada don't know how sopa law gonna work here.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Sony Music does, but the game division retracted their support for the bill.
    This means nothing as long as they are a member of the ESA, who fully supports the bill. They may publicly state that they are against the bill, but in private they are no doubt patting the ESA lobbyists on the back while they hand them $1m+ checks.

This bill is really just a power grab using copyright protection as an excuse. If you're in the U.S., the most effective thing you can do to stop it is a) organize with like-minded people, since politicians fear large voting blocs, and b) call your representatives in Congress, because they know that someone motivated enough to call is someone motivated enough to vote for someone else.