Thread: Epic Quest Trophy Guide

Default Epic Quest Trophy Guide

This guide explains how to acquire the trophies on the Epic Quest DLC table for ZEN Pinball. For an in-depth description of basic pinball tactics and terminology, please refer to the core game guide by skippycue, found here.

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 8/10
    -Offline: 4 (1(S), 3(B))
    -Online: 0
    -Approximate amount of time to core game 100%: 10-20 hours, varies greatly depending on skill
    -Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1
    -Missable trophies: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies
    -Glitched trophies: None
    -Cheats: Tampering with factory settings or saving and reloading a game disables trophies

Introduction:

ZEN Pinball is known for brutal trophies, and this table is no exception. It requires you to defeat 12 monsters and then the final boss in order to obtain the (B)Dragon Rider trophy! This table is unique in the fact that some things that you earn carry over from game to game! The whole table has the essence of an RPG so it's quite enjoyable to play. When starting for the first time, I suggest you hold down :square: prior to launching the ball and using the Sixaxis to navigate the table and get familiar with the layout.

Table specifics

Ramps, Orbits, Targets, and Sink Holes
    This table has standard left and right orbits which are used for a few different things. It also has a mini-orbit located in the center of the table just to the left of the right ramp which is used to access the forest. I will refer to this as the forest orbit. There are 2 ramps on the table which drop the ball nicely resting on either flipper unlike most of the other tables! There is a sink hole called the loot hole just to the right of the left ramp. There is a path just between the loot hole and the forest orbit which leads to the haunted mill via a water wheel. An upper flipper shot following the mill leads to the orcanium. Between the left orbit and left ramp, there is a SMASH target which is used for multiple things. Lastly, there is a sink hole on the far right which is tough to see and even tougher to access that leads to the dungeon.

• Left and Right orbits - Both of these can be hit from the ends of the flipper relatively easily. The orbits are used during battle to dodge left and right. When you are not in a battle, you can hit the orbits 2 times to get a random prize which can include activating a kickback, a random monster encounter, a random monster trophy (meaning you get to skip that fight!), or loot which I'll discuss later. It seems that as you progress through the game it becomes necessary to hit the orbits more than 2 times, but the rule sheet does not indicate this.
    • Left Ramp - The left ramp is pretty easy to hit reliably. You can hit it from a caught position between the middle and end of the right flipper. It is used to activate your shield in battle mode. If you are not in battle, it is a great way to get the ball to rest on the left flipper. Every time you hit the left ramp, it lights up a letter in the word "BAT". Once you spell BAT, the Bat Frenzy mode begins. During this timed mode, the goal is to hit as many bats as possible. You get points escalating from 50,000 to 1,000,000. You can cast a spell to kill 5 bats at once and earn 1,000,000 points. When the mode is over you get various rewards depending on how many bats you killed including experience points, the vampire trophy (meaning you don't have to fight the vampire), or the extra ball light comes on.
    • Right Ramp - The right ramp is slightly more difficult to hit consistently, but not too bad. You can hit it from a caught position between the middle and end of the left flipper. It is used to attack with your weapon in battle mode. If you are not in a battle, it's a great way to get the ball to rest on the right flipper. Each time you hit the right ramp, it lights up a letter in the word "SWARM". Once you Spell SWARM, the Skeleton Swarm mode begins. During this multiball mode, each skeleton you hit adds a random amount of points between 10,000 and 100,000 to the bone pool. You can collect the bone pool multiple times. The first location is the orcanium, the second is the dungeon hole, and the last is the loot hole. When the mode is over you get various rewards depending on how many skeletons you crushed including experience points, the skeleton trophy (meaning you don't have to fight the skeleton), or the extra ball light comes on.
    • Forest Orbit - This can be hit from either flipper, but tends to be easier from the middle of the left flipper. This leads to the bumpers above the loot hole. Hitting these bumpers 15 times will begin a fight which I'll discuss later.
    • Mill Path - This can be hit from an early to middle left or right flipper shot. I've had better success using the left flipper, but it's personal preference. The shot is often blocked by a red monster that pops up, in which case the ball will be redirected into the loot hole. When the shot is not blocked, the ball will ride up the mill wheel and be dumped out just above the upper flipper. This is how you access the orcanium for battles.
    • Loot Hole - This shot is a bit tight and can be hit from a just past middle shot form the right flipper. Deflections from missing this shot can often send the ball into one of the outlanes so be careful! This hole is where you get new armor, shields, helmets, and weapons. When the "LOOT" light is lit and you hit this hole, you will be presented with 2 items which you can alternate between using either flipper. One item will be what you currently have equipped and the other one is what you've found. Depending on what you select, the other item will be sold for gold (points). Don't worry about the timer, it resets each time you switch what item you are looking at so you don't have to worry about choosing quickly. I always replaced my items with whatever one was highest, ignoring the elemental abilities since they really don't effect the game much. This is also the hole you have to hit to begin the final battle against a random dragon!
    • Orcanium Path - This is easy to hit from a later flipper shot from the upper flipper. If you wait too long to hit the ball however, you'll miss and it will drop past the flipper. This can be accessed via the mill path as discussed, or from a launch with maximum power. It's important to know that depending on which method you use to access it, the orcanium represents 2 different things which I'll discuss later.
    • SMASH Target - This target is not too bad to hit with a relatively late shot from the right flipper. If you hit the ball too late though, you'll end up hitting the left orbit instead. In battle this is used to attack the enemy, often with a critical attack. When not in battle, hitting this 3 times will push the target back and the ball will drop into a sink hole that will allow you to relaunch. This is useful if you want to get loot from a skill shot or you want to get magic from the orcanium which I'll discuss later.
    • Dungeon Hole - This is the toughest thing to hit and I have not been able to hit it from a caught position. There is a pretty consistent way to hit it however which is from the loot hole. When the ball drops from the loot hole, leave the flippers down and let it bounce off the right and then the left flipper. After the second bounce on the left flipper it should be right on the edge. Hitting it at this moment will often result in a shot to the dungeon hole. It's still not a guarantee of course, but it's definitely the most consistent way I've found to hit this hole. Also, after you hit the dungeon hole, it will drop out of the loot hole to give you a chance to hit it again. There are 3 ways to get the ball to drop out of the loot hole.
      1. You can hit the forest orbit and as long as you haven't started a battle or you select "SKIP", it will drop out of the loot hole.
      2. You can shoot the loot hole directly to get loot or random points if "LOOT" is not lit up.
      3. Finally, if you're shooting at the mill path and you get blocked, you'll be redirected and come out the loot hole.
    • Extra Ball Lights - There are 2 lights and you can hit either. The problem is they are not easy to hit and are located over the left and right outlanes. I would recommend only attempting to hit these in multiball or if you have kickbacks activated.
    Last edited by skippycue; 12-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Kickbacks and Ball Save: The only way I have found to activate the ball save is by an option on the princess wheel. It is possible that it may also be a random reward when hitting the orbits, but I have not seen that. Unfortunately there is no guaranteed way to activate the kickbacks on this table. Kickbacks are activated from the start which is nice, but other than that they are only activated as random rewards from hitting the orbits when not in a battle. You also get random rewards when defeating enemies so they can sometimes be activated that way as well.

Skill Shot: A skill shot is achieved by getting the ball in the center shoot off of the launch. This can be achieved by pulling the launcher back just far enough so you can almost see the monster's top teeth on the launcher. When you attempt this you are giving up the chance to hit the orcanium for spells which I'll discuss later.

The Orcanium: This is a very quick mini playfield on the right side of the table. It's a little stage the ball runs in front of with 4 holes vertically to the left of it. As the ball runs past the stage you can hit either flipper causing rods to pop out pushing the ball left toward the holes. Each hole represents either a different monster or elemental spell depending on when you enter the orcanium. If you miss all 4 holes, the ball will drop down to the right flipper to be easily caught.

Random Rewards: These are various rewards that are awarded at various points during the game. Random rewards can include:

• Experience Points
    • Loot
    • Kickbacks
    • Elemental Spells
    • Magic Potion
    • Extra Ball lit up - only from bat frenzy or skeleton swarm I believe
    • Enemy encounters - only from orbit shots
    • Enemy trophies - only from orbit shots, bat frenzy, or skeleton swarm

Random rewards are obtained by a skill shot, hitting orbits 2 times, entering any of the enemy areas when all enemies in that area have been defeated, and after defeating an enemy.

Weapons and Armor: Weapons and armor are the "loot" of the game. Every time you enter the loot hole when "LOOT" is lit you will get a new weapon, shield, helmet, or body armor. Some of these come with elemental bonus effects, but I'd recommend simply choosing the one with the greatest damage/defense stats. The higher your level is the better loot you'll get until eventually you'll be rewarded with some epic loot!

Elemental Spells: These are spells that can be cast during battles, bat frenzy, and skeleton swarm. When you start the game you have no spells. They can only be acquired during a launch by launching with maximum power and then shooting the orcanium or as a random reward. There are four spells:
    1. Firestorm - first hole in orcanium, top left indicator light
    2. Cold Blast - second hole in orcanium, top right indicator light
    3. Lightning Bolt - third hole in orcanium, bottom right indicator light
    4. Force Strike - last hole in orcanium, bottom left indicator light

You can only cast a spell while in battle, bat frenzy, or skeleton swarm modes. To cast a spell, you have to hit the mill path and then shoot the orcanium. Whatever hole you hit in the orcanium is the spell you will cast. If you hit a hole for a spell you have not acquired, you'll get a miscast and nothing will happen. You can see what spells you have by looking at the indicator lights just to the left of the orcanium. I personally didn't find casting spells to be very useful since the standard attack works well for everything (even though the rule sheet indicates you should use it for the final boss). Once again it comes down to personal preference.

Enemies: Enemies are located in one of three locations:
    1. The Haunted Mill (Orcanium)
      • Giant Rat - first hole in orcanium
      • Ghost - second hole in orcanium
      • Skeleton - third hole in orcanium
      • Vampire - fourth hole in orcanium
    2. The Forest - You will have to get 15 bumper hits before you'll be allowed to battle. Once you get 15 bumper hits you'll be able to select what enemy you want to fight using the left and right flippers. You have 5 seconds each time you switch to a different enemy before the battle starts or you can press X to start it immediately. You can also choose "SKIP" to skip the battle.
      • Corrupted Bandit
      • Dark Ent
      • Ogre Wraith
      • Shadow Wolf
    3. The Dungeon - After hitting the dungeon hole two times you'll be able to select what enemy you want to fight using the left and right flippers. You have 5 seconds each time you switch to a different enemy before the battle starts or you can press X to start it immediately. You can also choose "SKIP" to skip the battle.
      • Goblin Noble
      • Troll Juggernaut
      • Forgotten Spider
      • War Imp

There are indicator lights in the center of the table for each enemy so you can see what enemies you've already defeated. For the forest and the dungeon, enemy indicator lights on the table will blink when you have not yet defeated the currently selected enemy so you can use this to help you determine which enemy to battle.

Battles: - During a battle, the enemy's health is displayed on the lower left of the table and your health is displayed on the lower right. The enemy will attack you every 10 seconds. There are 2 ways to defend which will reset that timer.
    1. Left Ramp - If you hit the left ramp, that will activate your shield which will reset the enemy attack timer. In addition to this, you will have a short amount of time to hit the right ramp for a counter attack which does far more damage than a normal attack. Don't worry, you have enough time to let the ball rest on the left flipper and line up your shot and still pull off the counter attack.
    2. Left or Right Orbit - Hitting the left or right orbits dodges left and right respectively. If you hit the orbits twice in quick succession, you will perform a double dodge and gain bonus experience points. I personally did not use this very frequently since it's tougher to get the ball back under control and the counter attack is powerful so the left ramp is a better option. I'd use this in case of emergency when I didn't have time to get the ball to the right flipper so I could shoot the left ramp and I was about to get hit.

You can take several hits before you die depending on the enemy. I believe enemies get harder as you level up so leveling up doesn't really make the game easier. If at some point you are close to death and you have a magic potion, you can fully restore your health by hitting the dungeon hole. This however is not an easy shot and I didn't find it particularly useful. You start the game with three magic potions and can earn up to five via random rewards. There are indicator lights just to the left of the right bumper showing how many you have.

During a battle, there are 3 ways you can attack the enemy:
    1. Hitting the right ramp - Although hitting the right ramp alone does damage, if you hit it within a few seconds after hitting the left ramp you will perform a counter attack which does significantly more damage. In general you should always shoot for this strategy.
    2. Hitting the SMASH target - This uses your weapon and will often perform critical attacks, but is generally not as good as a counter attack.
    3. Shoot the mill path and then the orcanium to cast a spell - If you have gained any spells, you can cast them by hitting the corresponding hole in the orcanium. Certain monsters are more susceptible to certain elemental spells, but I did not investigate this since casting spells in general seems unnecessary (albeit cool ).

The battle is over when the enemy's or your health is down to zero. If you lost the battle you will have to fight the enemy again. If you win, then the corresponding monster light will light up on the table.
    Last edited by skippycue; 12-27-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Trophies
    Good Knight, Sweet Princess (B)
    Defeat three monsters and then hit the Princess locker wheel 3 times to start the Princess multiball and gain this Trophy.

This will likely be the first trophy you earn when playing this table. Every time you defeat three monsters, the "PRINCESS WHEEL" light will turn on in front of the left ramp. Hitting the ramp will bring the ball around to the princess wheel. After the count down timer ends you can press either flipper to release the ball into the wheel. It's pretty easy to drop the ball in the spot you want by pressing the flipper when it is exactly opposite the drop spot. In other words, look at where the ball will be dropped and then look 180 degrees from that spot. When the slot you want the ball to land in is completely opposite the drop spot, that's when you press the flipper. You'll get the hang of it and it will become pretty easy. Once you drop three balls in the wheel it will begin the princess multiball and you will earn the trophy. The wheel slots are as follows:
    • Extra Ball - This lights up the extra ball lights.
    • Jackpot - This activates one of the jackpot lights.
    • Super Jackpot - This activates one of the super jackpot lights.
    • Add Ball - This will launch in another ball if you lose one during multiball.
    • Ball Saver - This will activate the ball save.
    • Jackpot - This activates another jackpot light.
    • Super Jackpot - This activates another super jackpot light.
    • Multi-Ball - This will start multiball instantly, even if it's the first ball in the wheel.
    The slots you've dropped the balls in won't become active until multiball starts. It's good to use the wheel to try to get an extra ball and activate ball save!

Master of Elements (B)
    Collect the four elemental scrolls in the Orcanium. You can gain scrolls there during Skillshots.

This is a relatively easy trophy to get. You have to launch the ball with maximum power, then hit the orcanium using the upper flipper. Drop the ball in each hole of the orcanium to get all 4 spells. You can also get a spell as a random reward. You can relaunch your ball by hitting the SMASH target three times or by getting a ball in the princess wheel.

Epic Set (S)
    Loot as many items as you can to eventually find some Epic stuff with better stats. The whole set consists an epic weapon, shield, armor and helmet. You can keep those items after the game is over, so loosing a game does not mean that you have to start to collect the set from the beginning!

Strangely enough, although this is a silver trophy, this is not the toughest trophy of the table! As you defeat monsters you will gain experience points and gain levels as a result. There is a red bar at the bottom of the table that shows your progress to the next level. As you start to get higher in levels, the loot you get will get better and better until eventually you'll start getting Epic Loot! In order to get this trophy, you just need to acquire one of each type of epic loot: armor, helmet, shield, and weapon. The display will show you when you are getting Epic loot. Just don't swap out epic loot by accident when you are going for this trophy because you have to have all 4 at the same time. When you have all the epic loot, you'll be rewarded with the trophy and a cool 10 million points! There are indicator lights to the right of the left bumper that show what Epic loot you have acquired. All your experience points, levels, and loot carry over from game to game so this does not have to be done in one game (thank goodness)!

Dragon Rider (B)
    Travel through three areas: the Haunted Mill, the Forest and the Dungeon to encounter no less than 12 monsters! Defeat them all and shoot the Loot hole to begin the fight against the giant Random Dragon. This trophy is for those who can defeat the mighty beast.

Say what??? This is by far the toughest trophy for the table! You'll need to refer to all the strategies I mentioned earlier in the guide to defeat all 12 monsters. There are 4 in each of three locations as mentioned earlier. The good news is, if you can master both ramp shots then you can defeat all the monsters relatively easily. Although you can be awarded with various monster trophies by getting random rewards and activating the bat frenzy and skeleton swarm, I wouldn't focus on this. Learn to get good at activating the battles normally because it's far more consistent. If you get a random monster trophy here or there, that's just a bonus. After you've defeated all 12 monsters and you see all those pretty lights lit up, you'll also see the "LEVEL ENDING STORY" light come on in front of the loot hole. Shoot the ball into the loot hole to start the final battle!

The final battle is against a random dragon with a lot of health and a lot of attack power! I believe that 2, maybe 3 hits (depends on your level or armor) will kill you so you need to be sure that you use your shield or dodge! Losing the battle because you didn't defend will frustrate you to no end so pay attention to the attack timer! I personally just focused on counter attacks for this battle since that way you are always defending and also getting more powerful attacks in. The rule sheet recommends using spells since the dragon is resistant to physical attacks, but I found that counter attacks do the job nicely. I don't recall exactly, but I think it took somewhere between 6-10 counter attacks to defeat the dragon (normal enemies take somewhere between 2-4). If you feel so inclined to try your luck at spells, you need to make sure you have the mill path shot down because you'll need to get up to the orcanium to cast a spell.

If you manage to defeat the dragon, you will be rewarded with a tough trophy and 50 million points! If you lose the battle, there is still hope. All is not lost like some of the other tables. You will lose 3 random monster trophies and be forced to fight those monsters again before you can take another stab at the dragon.

Hope the guide proves useful for a very fun table. Happy gaming, enjoy!
    Last edited by skippycue; 12-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.

cool thank you. the epic set trophy was the easiest and its silver ???
    using my save game i am at level 28 i must have played over 10 hours! to get there, Trophies still work in save games just save at the start of the game (before firing the ball) else it wont count the score/Trophies but once you loose that game it goes to back to normal.

does it go past level 99 any one get there yet?

maybe master Hypno74 will do some videos

Hypno can't make any videos because we europeans must wait till late January for this table.

I thought you couldn't earn any trophies with this ''beta test table'' but still, nice guide skippycue!
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

No problem. I think it's my favorite table.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskari14 View Post
    I thought you couldn't earn any trophies with this ''beta test table'' but still, nice guide skippycue!
    The trophy patch for the table went live last Thursday.

Im sorry PSN has done this on our side so many times now this happened with rdr M&M DLC and GT5 DLC, i hope you guys get it sooner

its been patched i see my Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    The trophy patch for the table went live last Thursday.
    So does that mean the game can be d/l now with everything it's supposed to have?

Quote Originally Posted by KingMixer View Post
    So does that mean the game can be d/l now with everything it's supposed to have?
    Pretty much! I'm not sure if the table is the final version, but it's really stable if it's not.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Well at least us over on the PFX2 know that this is another great Table by Zen, But the wait is easier thanks to the Marvel VV Pack.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Why no sticky??

Quote Originally Posted by skippycue View Post
    Why no sticky??
    Il try and see if I can alert someone to it m8.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm kind of new here so I'm not sure I will use the proper technical words but I hope my post will be clear.

Here is my problem: I'm having a lot of trouble with the Cave/Dungeon Hole. It's keeping me from reaching the dragon and it's irritating me.

I have tried the technic from Skippycue's guide (which is awesome, thank you for that) but the ball does not fall down as described. When the ball drops from the Loot hole, I let the flippers down, the ball hits the right flipper, then hits the left "triangle" (not sure what the right term is, the *boing* thing above each flipper), then it bounces again off the right flipper, and finally lands on the left flipper.

But now that it's on the left flipper, it seems to me that it's impossible to reach the Dungeon hole from there.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to try harder with this technic? I'm trying to figure out some other ways to reach the Dungeon hole, but apart from a very risky and difficult shot after a trip through the right orbit, I don't see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu View Post
    then hits the left "triangle" (not sure what the right term is, the *boing* thing above each flipper)
    Slingshot

But now that it's on the left flipper, it seems to me that it's impossible to reach the Dungeon hole from there.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have to try harder with this technic? I'm trying to figure out some other ways to reach the Dungeon hole, but apart from a very risky and difficult shot after a trip through the right orbit, I don't see...
    It's a tricky shot, because of the way the ball spins thanks to a glitch in the game's engine. I found that if the ball has some speed, it's easier to hit the cave hole than during a slow roll (i.e. capturing the ball with the flipper and releasing it).
    Last edited by shogun00; 02-22-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Thank you Shogun for your answer, tricky indeed, but I managed to master it, finally..! And reached the dragon... but failed. Nevermind, I'll burst him into flames next time. It got me into top 50 at least.

I found out about the "spin ball effect" on this forum, I thought it was a regular thing with pinballs. It can be quite irritating sometimes but I got used to it.

I have tried the technic from Skippycue's guide (which is awesome, thank you for that) but the ball does not fall down as described. When the ball drops from the Loot hole, I let the flippers down, the ball hits the right flipper, then hits the left "triangle" (not sure what the right term is, the *boing* thing above each flipper), then it bounces again off the right flipper, and finally lands on the left flipper.

I just hold up the Right Flipper and the Ball will bounce from that onto the Left Flipper. Its at just the right speed to catch the Ball on the Left Flipper.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    I just hold up the Right Flipper and the Ball will bounce from that onto the Left Flipper. Its at just the right speed to catch the Ball on the Left Flipper.
    That trick is a "hit or miss" on the PS3 version.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    That trick is a "hit or miss" on the PS3 version.
    Wow need to remember to address that in my Guide, shows even more ZP2 is need asap.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Just out of curiosity, who would be so crazy to reset the whole game (and so the XP level) losing all the big points?

Anyway, I think this great guide (as usual from Skippycue) should be sticked...

good thing to know about the cave hole , but my problem is getting the extra ball from the multiball how do you hit those extra balls there impossible to reach
    i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

Quote Originally Posted by maink View Post
    good thing to know about the cave hole , but my problem is getting the extra ball from the multiball how do you hit those extra balls there impossible to reach
    Princess Multiball: It's pretty much all about luck. You need to land in the Extra Ball slot on the princess wheel and then you need one of the balls to hit one of the outlanes during the multiball mode.

Skeleton (aka Swarm) Multiball: You need to kill at least 20 skeletons during the multiball phase. After the multiball mode is over the extra ball will be lit. You need to hit the water wheel and get the ball into the the correct hole in the theater.

thanx shogun , yeah i finnaly figured it out you gotta let a ball drain in the outlane or get a lucky bounce on it. i thought i could reach em with the flippers
    i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

After seeing the wonderful pdf guides from ShoryukenToTheChin, I can see why this guide never got stickied... Great job man, I really like your guide format.