Mysterious Island
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Journey to the Center of the Earth

H. G. Wells is borderline steampunk:

The Time Machine
    War of the Worlds
    The Island of Dr. Moreau

Wow - Steampunk - that's a great idea for a table! Lots of precision engineering in a victorian style - cast iron and rivets, lots of brass, pistons and levers...steam powered computers etc. etc.
    I'd love to see a War of the Worlds table based on the Jeff Wayne album, with the music and everything. A tripod (just like on the cover) dominating the top of the table, a "Thunderchild" somewhere lower down waiting for its multiball moment of glory. Oh yes.

*blood boils*...

I have been championing Steam Punk for probably over a year on here damn it!!!

*Blood settles*...

hehe ...

Pretty good sleection of choices; but I would kind of prefer an original theme over a licence. Though I would go with something closer to:

AKIRA (anime)
    Mad Max
    Water World
    Or the most unknown: Tank Girl (comic character).

But yeah... Do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Shark View Post
    I'd love to see a War of the Worlds table based on the Jeff Wayne album, with the music and everything. A tripod (just like on the cover) dominating the top of the table, a "Thunderchild" somewhere lower down waiting for its multiball moment of glory. Oh yes.
    I will most definitely second that idea

lepruk86 - well it was a brilliant idea whoever had it. I'd love to see a pinball table that looks like it was made by a mad victorian genius. I like the mad max idea too. As for AKIRA, would the table rules have to be as hard to follow as the film?

Steampunk is most certainly where its at! However, Zen has already created a steampunk themed table called "Tesla" for Zen Pinball for PS3, DS, etc. See for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElPHqiAvSk

I LOVE this table
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    Steampunk is most certainly where its at! However, Zen has already created a steampunk themed table called "Tesla" for Zen Pinball for PS3, DS, etc. See for yourself...

Unfortunately, it's only available on the PS3. It's not available on any other platform at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Unfortunately, it's only available on the PS3. It's not available on any other platform at the moment.
    I thought the DS had all of the PS3 tables. Hmm...well I certainly know for sure its on the PS3. I just played it yesterday. Unless Zen lifts the exclusivity for the tables on different consoles (excluding console exclusive themes i.e. Ms. Spolsion Man), I don't see it happening for the 360. Then again...I don't work for Zen and anything is possible.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

I thought the [3DS] had all of the PS3 tables.
    No, they only have two of them (Shaman and El Dorado).

Exclamation

You have to make a series of shots in order to grow a full handlebar moustache.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

I LOVE this table
    Hey, looks good. Damn. I've got a 360 so that's no use to me. I'm never going to buy a console just for 'exclusive content'. Zen will just have to make another one. Even better. Perhaps a bit more 'out there' and fictional rather than celebrating a real scientist/inventor. And this time release it on all formats instead of pandering to the console makers' little games.

Exclamation

Tesla is badass. I think I'm gonna fire up my PS3 today actually.
    A cool Steampunk mini game: testing your gentlemanly skills, i.e.,opening doors for your woman, etc.

I really can't wait for the updated physics on Tesla, Ninja Gaiden, and El Dorado. It's going to be SWEET!!!!
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    *blood boils*...

I have been championing Steam Punk for probably over a year on here damn it!!!

*Blood settles*...

hehe ...

Pretty good sleection of choices; but I would kind of prefer an original theme over a licence. Though I would go with something closer to:

AKIRA (anime)
    Mad Max
    Water World
    Or the most unknown: Tank Girl (comic character).

But yeah... Do it!!!
    Most of the stuff I mentioned would not actually require a license, as they are all out of copyright now.

An original steampunk design would be most welcome too. I really think it would be an excellent oppertunity to have a dynamicly changing table, hit a switch or lever and trigger major mechanical changes to the playfield. This would be very much in line with the steampunk high tech reaction from something with a low tech appearance.

It also does not need to be all dark colors and drab feeling, since there were oil paintings and stained glass in the Victorian age. For example, a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea steampunk table could have one of the original illustrations from the book (which are also no longer under copyright) reproduced as a full color oil painting in the playfield.

I think there are tremendous possibilities for creative thinking and application in a steampunk design. Brass, copper, gold, silver, iron, oil painting, stained glass, steam and pneumatic power all in a pinball machine. This sounds like a perfect match to me. It would be the perfect embodiment of, and be the very definition of "steampunk"!
    Last edited by SlippedGear; 05-11-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippedGear View Post
    Most of the stuff I mentioned would not actually require a license, as they are all out of copyright now.

An original steampunk design would be most welcome too. I really think it would be an excellent oppertunity to have a dynamicly changing table, hit a switch or lever and trigger major mechanical changes to the playfield. This would be very much in line with the steampunk high tech reaction from something with a low tech appearance.

It also does not need to be all dark colors and drab feeling, since there were oil paintings and stained glass in the Victorian age. For example, a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea steampunk table could have one of the original illustrations from the book (which are also no longer under copyright) reproduced as a full color oil painting in the playfield.

I think there are tremendous possibilities for creative thinking and application in a steampunk design. Brass, copper, gold, silver, iron, oil painting, stained glass, steam and pneumatic power all in a pinball machine. This sounds like a perfect match to me. It would be the perfect embodiment of, and be the very definition of "steampunk"!
    Arh I didn't realise your suggestions were out of copyright. That makes far more sense.

On the colours thing; I tend to watch a lot of anime and they are certainly far brighter than your traditional drab SP settings. Something like Avatar for example (though not strictly an anime and admittedly a little bit more kiddish) has some really Steam-punk esk influences; yet remains brightly coloured.

I suppose I am more into the goggles on head kind. The mad scientist esk steam punk, rather than the rebels fighting. Though I just overall love the various ways technology is presented in a SP universe.

Just completely under represented everywhere...

Speaking of which; any good novels to recommend? I am hankering for something new to read now xD. (Obviously SP influenced).

I suppose I am more into the goggles on head kind. The mad scientist esk steam punk, rather than the rebels fighting. Though I just overall love the various ways technology is presented in a SP universe.

Just completely under represented everywhere...

Speaking of which; any good novels to recommend? I am hankering for something new to read now xD. (Obviously SP influenced).
    I don't know if you realize it or not, but Jules Verne IS actual steampunk, he created the genre, because his books were written IN the Victorian age. The submarine the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is actually electric powered. The Steam House is a Jules Verne novel recounting the travels of a group of British colonists in the Raj in a wheeled house pulled by a steam-powered mechanical elephant. Robur the Conqueror is a science fiction novel by Jules Verne, published in 1886. It is also known as The Clipper of the Clouds. It has a sequel, The Master of the World, which was published in 1904. Central to the story is an rotorcraft the Albatross, that is totally steampunk.

The Clipper of the Clouds is a lesser know story of Jules Verne's that would make for an interesting pinball table theme. The rotor craft in the story, the Albatross could fly around the table as the player achieves story objectives. Could be very interesting.

Or The Steam House steam powered mechanical elephant could move around to different locations on the table in following the story of the British colonists travels.

The only problem with the lesser known Jules Verne stories is they are not as readily recognizable, but a completely original steam punk table design would not be either for that matter.

I think you can get most of these novels, if not all of them in free Amazon Kindle editions, that you can read in Cloud Reader, or Kindle for PC, for free, as they are all out of copyright now.

Thumbs up

Steam powered mechanical elephant? I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Steam powered mechanical elephant? I'm in.
    I just had the thought that the mechanical elephant could walk across a scrolling backglass, so it could be huge and detailed. That would be sweet, and cool

Thumbs up

Abso freaking lutely my friend.

Just a couple to get you started

William Gibson and Bruce Sterling: The Difference Engine. Seen as instrumental in forming what is commonly accepted as 'steam punk these days

Philip Reeve- Mortal Engines Quartet. Superb series for young adults (but like Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings is still suitable for grown-ups). Imagine cities are now effectively living things roaming the wastelands of what earth used to be, on huge caterpillar tracks. The cities are looking for smaller towns as prey to be pulled apart and subsumed. Well worth a read.

Are you a comic reader too?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a definite SP feel.

Also worth hunting out Chris Bacallo's Cliffhanger series called Steampunk. Sadly cancelled after just over a dozen issues it's worth it for the art alone.

Exclamation

W. Gibson is essentially, the godfather of cyber-punk. If your interested in going from the steam powered genre to the cybernetic side- I'd highly suggest the Neuromancer by Gibson.

Everything from ghost in the shell & bebop, to the matrix & hackers- its all inspired by that book to some degree.
    johnny mnemonic is a really bare version of it actually.

Gibson, himself, wrote the screenplay for mnemonic. He was just trying to fit too much quality work into too small a space at that point. If you like any cyber-punk whatsoever, I'd recommend that read. You won't regret it, I'm sure.
    If life's really just a game, it was designed to be played co-op.