Thread: Petition for "Old School" tables.

Default Petition for "Old School" tables.

I know everyone's chomping at the bit for the latest Marvel four pack, but I thought I'd give you all another thread to check. This is something I've been wanting to ask for some time.

I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there who would like to see a:

"Less is More"

approach to a four pack of tables. I'm talking about tables with the simplicity of the PBFX originals, but with the smoothness of PBFX2 (ie. how the ramp that feeds the ball over the flipper doesn't quite meet up with the flipper on the older tables). NOT to include cartoon toys or loud backgrounds. I'm talking a four pack of tables like you might find in the eighties at a bowling alley.

NOT TALKING about redoing old tables ala Pinball Arcade; original IPs and artwork would really shine here.

This would be a great way to make the Soul Train table a lot of people have said they would like, but I don't want a bunch ofideas for liscnesed stuff; a Western theme, and a Sport theme would also go great with this type of table as these are classic pinball themes that Zen hasn't even approached yet.

So if any of you would like to see some Old School style of tables make a comeback please sign.
    Last edited by Dalek Nation; 06-19-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: proofreading

Thumbs up

*signed*
    Old school and Soul Train does indeed go hand in hand. I'm not a big sports fan so not sure about that one. But the Western theme would obviously be brilliant as well. I personally think Epic Quest has a bit of old school feeling to it. All in all, great idea Dalek.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

+1 *signed*

Definitely! I like the spectacle of the later tables(and I currently have 800 spacebucks burning a hole in my virtual avatar's pocket in anticipation of tomorrow) but I enjoy going back to some of Zen's earlier releases as they feel a bit more 'pure'. I can imagine actually seeing them in an arcade.

A simpler approach would also work well with some of the rock tables Vegas is suggesting in his other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    *signed*
    Old school and Soul Train does indeed go hand in hand. I'm not a big sports fan so not sure about that one. But the Western theme would obviously be brilliant as well. I personally think Epic Quest has a bit of old school feeling to it. All in all, great idea Dalek.
    Sports could be anything from one of those Baseball types popular sixties/seventies (ie. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2904)

to No Good Gofers (which was nineties... so lookin' for something of an older style.)

Anyone think of any other themes that were popular with older styled tables (besides bingo pinball tables, which is the theme I'D have no use for.)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsesmith View Post
    Definitely! I like the spectacle of the later tables(and I currently have 800 spacebucks burning a hole in my virtual avatar's pocket in anticipation of tomorrow) but I enjoy going back to some of Zen's earlier releases as they feel a bit more 'pure'. I can imagine actually seeing them in an arcade.
    I'm the same way... looking for that 'pure' fix. After running a marathon on one of the newer style tables I often like to 'unwind' with a few quicky games on Speed Machine. I think Street Fighter and Extreme would easily 'port' over to reality.
    Last edited by Dalek Nation; 06-19-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added a quote

Thumbs up

Aaah yes, NGG is actually my favorite table off of the WHOF disc.

Lightbulb

Cards/ gambling was a theme that was returned to again and again.

Cards/ gambling was a theme that was returned to again and again.
    Cards/Gambling is a good one that popped up a lot. Pool is another.

So for a a four pack so far we have 1) Card/Gambling 2) Western 3) Soul Train and a fourth..... (card/gambling can cover sport and pool)

n e 1 got a fourth?

Thumbs up

Thinking about it.

Endorsed, subjective clause. I think the best pack was the secret bio roman pasha pack. More tables between them n the fx1'ers would be absolutely sublime. A music theme(no one band) would be awesome. Instraments n rhythm -with musical notes everywhere.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Nation View Post
    Cards/Gambling is a good one that popped up a lot. Pool is another.

So for a a four pack so far we have 1) Card/Gambling 2) Western 3) Soul Train and a fourth..... (card/gambling can cover sport and pool)

n e 1 got a fourth?
    Maybe a legends of Hollywood table or something in that vein.

Maybe a legends of Hollywood table or something in that vein.
    I live in hollywood (well just outside of it). Trust me, that vein would be too vain. It'd be better to have a "make your movie" idea. Gotta be a director n decide cast, locations, plot twists, etc...

Or a seven wonders idea would be cool.
    If life's really just a game, it was designed to be played co-op.

Lightbulb

Fair enough. A Salvadaor Dhali table then.

Talking

Aw yea, I'm so down. Giant stilt-wearing elephants and a melting clock. Holes everywhere. That'd be incredible!

I believe it's Dalí, btb. But yes, thats a good one.

Post I don't need any new slow & boring tables

What are you looking for? A 1931 Baffle Ball sim without flippers? A 1947 Humpty Dumpty sim? Please don't try and make any more generic tables. Let's spend some money to make a lot of cash. Buy some old Licenses and make your classic tables that way. I'm Dreaming of Terminator 2 and Tommy Pinball Wizard.Find out how to get the licenses for Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, Stern, Data East, Sega Pinball, The Pinball Factory, and PinBall Manufacturing Inc. This is where we will find our classic tables.

Quote Originally Posted by theRonlyConly97 View Post
    What are you looking for? A 1931 Baffle Ball sim without flippers? A 1947 Humpty Dumpty sim? Please don't try and make any more generic tables. Let's spend some money to make a lot of cash. Buy some old Licenses and make your classic tables that way. I'm Dreaming of Terminator 2 and Tommy Pinball Wizard.Find out how to get the licenses for Gottlieb, Bally, Williams, Stern, Data East, Sega Pinball, The Pinball Factory, and PinBall Manufacturing Inc. This is where we will find our classic tables.
    What I'm looking for are more folx who would be intereted in tables more along the asthetic of the PBFX tables; Extreme, Speed Machine, Street Fighter, Excalibur, etc... Tables I refer to as having an eighties (1980s) feel.

Pinball Arcade is for recreations.

If you still enjoy playing the tables from the original PBFX, then wouldn't it be nice to have a few more tables that trade flashy special effects for a more genuine "bowling alley" feel?

... and the art of the table doesn't have to be 'generic' to be 'original'.

*signed* - count me in. It would really mix things up and provide some much needed variety.

+1 signed.

I love the new stuff, but a little old school is always welcome.

THat and I want a western and pokerpool hall/etc. table.

Could even spin a whole smilaity out of "Western" -- the saloon table for gambling, a gunfighters bit, maybe a creepy Deadlands-esque "Weird West" table (I'd adore that..)

From what I have played so far, Fear itself actually does have an *old-skool*-esk feel.

The sounds are slightly muffled and it plays and looks like a more vintage table. A great step in the direction toward variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    From what I have played so far, Fear itself actually does have an *old-skool*-esk feel.

The sounds are slightly muffled and it plays and looks like a more vintage table. A great step in the direction toward variety.
    I think what Dalek meant by "old school" -if I may be so bold- is less gimmicks. A table can have crazy ramps, but when you add magnetics and gravitational forces, flaming florescent magma balls - it sets it apart from old school real-physics tables like agents, rome (save the catapult), even pasha's magnets are of a simple enough design that they could easily be done on a real table.

I enjoy fear, n def like InfinGaunt, but I don't see them the same. It's a different class at that point.

Please, correct me if I'm outta line Dalek.I'm speaking on my own interpretation of the topic. No more certainty than speculation atm.

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireGrin1221 View Post
    I think what Dalek meant by "old school" -if I may be so bold- is less gimmicks.
    Please, correct me if I'm outta line Dalek.I'm speaking on my own interpretation of the topic.
    No, that's pretty much what I meant. On Street Fighter you can actually kind of pick out where the lamps are behind the slingshots; feels like you just popped a quarter into the machine.

Don't get me wrong I L O V E the latest tables (Fear Itself is going to be a new favorite of mine), I'd just like like a few more tables that have simpler asthetics, "less gimmicks" save for the gimmick being the overall real feel of an eighties era table which I feel most of the PBFX originals had.

Not sure how I feel on this subject. After the V&V pack I would've said yes since I wasn't really into that but after this avengers pack I would almost say give me more. I do feel that the next few table don't have to feel as epic as the latest ones did, although they've been great, I'd like me some silly table now and again too.

First off, I like the new tables. It feels like 21st century pinball. But yes... I ache for the day I see a new Zen table that has a mechanical feel to it. But I want to play originals, so pinball arcade doesn't do it for me. Signed! SO looking forward to seeing what Zen does this side of the Marvel burn out.