Thread: Your favorite Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles table

Default Your favorite Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles table

My little holiday has now more or less come to an end and with that starts my exile to a non-pinball playing place again At least my holiday fell at exactly the right time to play the new tables and I managed to give each of them a good shot in the 3 or so days I had a chance to play them. As Zen take to heart and incorporate our opinions on their tables I though that I would give some input as to how I rate the tables and why, keeping in mind that I had a very short time to play and have not been able to explored the tables and the scoring opportunities to the fullest yet.

So my rating for the tables are:

4. Hulk - Not really much of a challenge in the long run and all the missions and modes start to feel quite repetitive in a short time. Once you have achieved a decent score there is not much of an incentive to play again. The two main multi-ball modes (strength and save Manhattan (?)) after a while I just want to avoid and the arena mini-game is way too much effort for the small amount of points that you get for it. I really like though that you have to finish all the main missions and at least start the side missions before you can get to the Wizard mode. So all and all not a bad table all things considered, just not my favourite of the pack.

The next three tables I would rate quite a notch higher as a whole above Hulk.

3. Infinity Gauntlet - Like the fact that they have built into the table that you just need to start the modes without having to finish them to get some kind of decent reward but that you are then forced to finish all the missions before you can get through to the Wizard mode and reset the table. This caters very nicely for both the casual and the more hardcore players. Personally I don't like the reversed flippers gem mode and the upside down table gem mode much... just feels too gimmicky and is way too frustrating (but not in the fun kind of way like e.g. Fear Itselfs tough missions) just because it is so different. The table as a whole feels very much different than anything else Zen has done so far, so that is a big plus in my book.

2. Avengers - Very innovative with the different colour balls and the table flows so well. Really nice that even though the table layout is quite straight forward that the juggling of different colour balls bring in a completely new and unique play dynamic. It is also a table that rewards patience and persistence over brute force (as in Hulk) with playing with the right hero scoring much higher per mode and with the jackpots and missions bonussus building up for the duration of the game (more so if you successfully compete the missions). I also really like that in a relatively short game (e.g. less than hour) you can score well and that playing through to Wizard mode is by far your biggest scoring opportunity... the table is anyway set up that you automatically progress to the Wizard mode. Only big let-down is the weird Black Widow ramp situation with the left outlane... it has messed up both my good games so far.

1. Fear Itself - By far my favourite table of the bunch. Got exactly the right balance between being tough but fair. Some of the missions you feel like pulling your hair out but every now and then you get them right and you can reactivate them easily enough. The magnetic outer loop thing is brilliant and well implemented and the kind of innovation that I would love to see in a real life table (to keep it in working order I assume will be a constant issue). I relish the challenge of scoring a Billion on this table... it is not just going to happen, I'm seriously going to have to sweat for it.

As a whole the pack is well balanced in my opinion with Fear Itself and to a lesser degree Infinity Gauntlet being the tougher tables and Avengers and especially Hulk the easier more flowing tables. I'm really impressed that Zen managed to find ways on all the tables to get you to play through the tables rather than spamming certain missions either because the table just flows that way (Avengers and Infinity Gauntlet) and/or because your highest scoring opportunities is from playing it through to the Wizard mode (Avengers, Hulk, Fear Itself and I assume Infinity Gauntlet as well). It is a vast improvement above tables such as Paranormal, Thor and Captain America and many others where spamming is your best choice. Thank you Zen for paying real attention to the scoring balance of the tables and for making all of them both casual and hardcore player friendly. I also really appreciate that none of the tables are marathon session tables (with the exception of maybe Hulk) and that in general you have to work hard to keep your kickbacks in place and to achieve ball-save and extra balls.

I can't wait for Zen's next original 4 pack (and for FX 3) as they have refined their table creating craft and are well on top of their game. Please just give the Marvel tables a break now... I have no idea who Fear Itself is or what the heck Infinity Gauntlet is about and I don't care... I just purely played them on the mechanics, layout and mission/mode structure of the tables. Off course this is all my own opinion and I'm sure many others will feel differently about it
    Last edited by Cloda; 06-23-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: small edits
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

In order of preference:

1. Fear Itself. This table is sinister in the way it plays and sounds. ((More dark themed tables please!))
    2. Infinity Gauntlet.
    3. Avengers.
    4. Hulk.

All round every table is a blast to play. (thanks to BB)

Your assessment of the tables is pretty close to my own opinion. All in all I think it is a really strong pack, that offers a lot for players with varying skill levels. I would call myself an intermediate player, having beaten only a handful of wizard modes, being more in the 100M - 300M category on many tables and far away from hour long games or billion scores.

Therefore I rate the tables like this:

4. Infinity Gauntlet:

I really like the whole setup with the gems and the mini-wizard mode. I reached that mode once, but never managed to get more than 2 gems in one game.
    To me the table offers not as many things to explore as the other tables and it feels a bit clunky. Clunky might not be the right word, but I'm not very fond of the missions being random. I really like being in control of what I do and when I'm thinking about how many combos I still need for Mistress Death or Silver Surfer, I don't like being ripped out of that by having to go to the green gem field.
    As a more casual player, I'm not perfect in aiming all my shots and I don't stop every single ball and set up every shot and therefore it might happen that I get a gem mode, when I might want to do something else.

3. World War Hulk:

As Cloda said this table is more simple and straight forward. As an intermediate I like that the table needs precision in the missions, but also allows some fast paced "gunning around" while chaining combos outside of the modes.
    All in all this one is a huge blast of fun and therefore it ranks slightly higher on my list, than Infinity Gauntlet, but they are very close.

2. Avengers:

A few month ago I suggested something in the pinball table ideas thread, namely a table (I used Pokemon as an example) that offers balls with different abilities, so that deciding which ball you use and switching balls is part of a strategic approach to the table.
    You can imagine that I was very pleased to see a few month later that obviously someone at Zen had the same idea and this feature would be implemented way sooner than I had hoped.
    And the result is amazing. I like the control and the strategic options enabled by the different balls.
    The only real issue the table has -as mentioned several times before- is the weird Black Widow ramp behaviour. Apart from that I adore this table a lot.

1. Fear Itself:

I didn't expect much from that table, cause my previous encounters with magnetism on table weren't really good. On Paranormal I'm only able to play one of the cube modes, cause I'm not able to activate the ones which need the magnetic push and pulls to enter the holes.
    Therefore I was pleasantly surprised that I don't have trouble with the magnetics of Fear Itself, although I needed to read a few tips, before I figured out what to do in the Hulk (Nul) mission.
    The huge plus of the table is that there are so many things to do. This is something I really enjoyed on the X-Men table before and it's the same here. There are so many things to explore that I'm going to be occupied for a long time. Up untill now I was able to beat Mokk, Angrir and Nul and I'm really looking forward to dig into the other Worthies, the multiballs and all the little side quests. For me, Fear Itself is pretty close to the perfect table. Great theme, great challenge, great diversity and a whole lot of fun.

1. Infinity Gauntlet- Have to say this was the first table I played and was instantly hooked. The table is just complex and the missions can be challenging. Love the use of the magnet system. Did this guy do Tesla as well?

2. Avengers.- Each ball representing each avenger is by far the most interesting aspect of the table. The ability to pick which one to start with makes the table seem like it has certain strategy. I thought this one would be the most difficult to score but in fact, seems like the opposite. Once you get assemble the the avengers and get through the Wizard mode (Which is more of a Bonus mode) scores just go up like crazy with rising jackpot values as you finsih and complete tasks in the missions.

3. Infinity Gauntlet- By far the most Bizarre of the 4. The way the Gems alter the play-field is very interesting. Lots of way to achieve multiball for high scores IMO once you figure things out.

4. Hulk- I know it's in the 4th spot. It doesn't mean the table is bad quite the contrary. The table flows well and there is a lot more scoring opportunities. The table is easier than expected coming from the guy who designed Iron Man and Thor which in some way disappointed me.

All the table in this pack are fantastic! Shows us how Zen is the leader in unique table design for virtual pinball. Can't wait to see what's in store for future DLC. I hear there are at least 8 more tables in the works with 1 from the Pop-Cap license coming to PS3/Xbox by the end of the summer.

It might be a little early to decide on how they rank for me, prolly need more time with them but here goes...

1. World War Hulk- Going against the grain here but I like this table the best because of it IS a "traditional" Zen table. Straight forward missions and activation of such, easy to see what needs to be done and it flows nicely. Only thing I dislike about it so far is the Mission Hole shots against the "gate" can SDTM drain too much for my liking.

2. Fear Itself - The most unique of the new tables, just looking at it, you know you are in for a totally different pinball experience. Still, IMHO, it is a big drop off in fun factor from WWH. An interesting experiment in pinball, I hope to warm to it more.

3. Infinity Gauntlet-Edit- I put a few hours into this table and while it took me a bit to "get" the table, now I am really enjoying it, it is neck and neck with Fear Itself at this point, the stackable modes are going to make for some great play once I have figured out all the missions and challenges. It has a nice change in that the missions are the true challenge and the Frenzy mode(s) are the reward.

4. Avengers - What I expected to the the most casual friendly just comes off as confusing to the "normal" player and quickly becomes frustrating to them. (Using my family as testing for this). I know it sounds harsh but it lacks an ease and flow and, dare i say it, too much "thought" into what ball needs to be played when and such. Ball selecting takes you "out" of the game and kills any momentum built up.

I know this is not the ringing endorsement that most people have given the Avengers tables, maybe I have just been in a bad mood when I have been playing the tables. I think I will mix them in with playing some of the older tables and see how I feel about them in a week or so.
    Last edited by rapierdwit; 06-24-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
    In order of preference:

1. Fear Itself. This table is sinister in the way it plays and sounds. ((More dark themed tables please!))
    2. Infinity Gauntlet.
    3. Avengers.
    4. Hulk.

All round every table is a blast to play. (thanks to BB)
    Hey! You stole my list!

Yeah, that's the order of my preferences as well.

Yeah the Black Widow ramp just doesn't make sense. What a let down.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

For me its defo has to be The Infinity Gauntlet, as a huge fan of the story & the character Thanos it just captures the whole look a feel of The Infinity Gauntlet saga. Having Thanos constantly talk is another win for me or his madness lol.
    The Table has some crazy mechanics and pushes what Virtual Pinball can truely accomplish.

But in saying all that its had to pick a true fav as all the Tables in this pack offer something unique that will tickle you just right.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    For me its defo has to be The Infinity Gauntlet, as a huge fan of the story & the character Thanos it just captures the whole look a feel of The Infinity Gauntlet saga. Having Thanos constantly talk is another win for me or his madness lol.
    The Table has some crazy mechanics and pushes what Virtual Pinball can truely accomplish.

But in saying all that its had to pick a true fav as all the Tables in this pack offer something unique that will tickle you just right.
    I appreciate that My primary goal is always to create a fun to play pinball table. The way I see it, the stackable modes are the main assets to reach this goal

I have to go with Infinity Gauntlet. You can tell that there was a some Addam's Family Pinball influence to the table. Not to mention, it's the most unique table (very creative) out of the bunch.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I appreciate that My primary goal is always to create a fun to play pinball table. The way I see it, the stackable modes are the main assets to reach this goal
    My pleasure, keep up the good work.. truely the Tables continue to evolve for the better.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    I have to go with Infinity Gauntlet. You can tell that there was a some Addam's Family Pinball influence to the table. Not to mention, it's the most unique table (very creative) out of the bunch.
    Thanks Our goal was to represent the omnipotent Infinity Gauntlet. The similarity to the Addams Family is just a coincidence

In Fantastic 4 you implemented it perfectly There is nothing more awesome than having all three of the multi-ball modes going at the same time and having the Jackpots popping one after the other. It is a pity that I did not yet experience it while playing Infinity Gauntlet but I have barely scratched the surface on the table... definitely something to look forward to when I get a chance to play again in a couple of months
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    In Fantastic 4 you implemented it perfectly There is nothing more awesome than having all three of the multi-ball modes going at the same time and having the Jackpots popping one after the other. It is a pity that I did not yet experience it while playing Infinity Gauntlet but I have barely scratched the surface on the table... definitely something to look forward to when I get a chance to play again in a couple of months
    Thanks very much I suggest you to play The Infinity Gauntlet more, because there are many stacking possibilities to discover

So far loving World War Hulk (kinda easy, ramp combo heavy, but liking it a lot. Although that constant ramp noise sound is a bit grating), and the Avengers table for the uniqueness of it with the various specific balls and modes.

Fear Itself has really surprised me. Wasn't expecting much from this table, but it plays really well. Gotta put more time into it. Love the giant mech that pops up onto the table. Plz stop shooting my 1 million bonuses :|

Haven't played much of the Infinity Gauntlet yet. That mind gem mode hurts my brain

I have not had much chance to play the tables yet been working 7 days a week for the last couple of weeks(shattered lol).
    But all the tables are awesome from the play time Ive had on them. Infinity Gauntlet seems to have the edge for me at the moment, on holiday in a couple of weeks so being an average player getting all the Gems will keep me going for a while.

I'm gonna have to follow the crowd and say Fear Itself as my current fave. Loving the dark atmosphere (the sounds of panic when you fill the chaos meter really set the tone for me) The sound effects remind me v much of Silent Hill in places. The magnetic loop adds a v different dimension to the game.

Visually too it was the game that made most impact, the somersaulting character who launches the ball and The Serpents hammer blow in the centre of the table when summoning Worthy made a great impression. In a way it reminds me of Thor with lots of noise and spectacle- this is not a bad thing.

Secondly and as a juxtaposition is Infinity Gauntlet. Again brilliant voice work 'get away from there you CLOWNS!' Loving the fact that Thanos has a touch of Darth Vader about his voice! The table feels a lot brighter and comic like in it's presentation really like how each gem is genuinely different requiring different player skills and Deep saying there are many stack able modes makes me v excited to continue playing this table!

Thirdly The Avengers. Probably because in all honesty I haven't really given it a proper whirl, I've only been testing the waters on it as I keep playing the first two on my list! However, once again like many have said, I'm really surprised as to how much depth this one has. Was expecting it to be the 'friendliest' of the tables.

Finally , Hulk. As I mentioned before I feel I've got a good handle on this table already. I feel it's by far the easiest table of the set so haven't really put a lot of time into it. This isn't to say it's a bad table in my eyes, it's just one table has to come last!

So, to conclude a brilliant set of tables thanks v much to all at Zen for their hardwork

Thanks very much I suggest you to play The Infinity Gauntlet more, because there are many stacking possibilities to discover

Wow if table designers are now posting on this forum, that's awesome, thanks Peter !!
    Last edited by Vincent; 06-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.

1. Infinity Gauntlet for OBVIOUS reasons.

2. Fear Itself - reasons that were mentioned in previous post

3. Hulk- I love the way the table is designed (well I love all of them ). VA's did a great job as well.

4. Last, but certainly not least, Avengers. Don't really want to put everything that I think about these tables because I don't have the time, but I can assure you that in my honest opinion...this is the best Marvel pack yet with a huge table boost in design. Thank you Zen!
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

I wanted to wait a bit and get some time into each table before I went ahead and answer this. I still haven't played them as much as I would have liked, but enough to give a rough first impression.

1: Infinity Gauntlet: IMHO this is probably one of the most well designed tables Zen has ever released. Every time I play it, it moves up a little further on my favorite list. Currently its number 3 in my top 5. I honestly don't think it will ever beat out Moon Knight or Blade but its so close its not even funny. The missions each pose their own unique challenge which overall just makes the table a complete package. The Warlock Frenzy wizard mode is the icing on the cake. As I've said in another post (paraphrasing) the way it utilizes the different gems at random moments during wizard mode is pure genius. Its a very challenging table that may eventually find its way to top of my favorite list.

2: World War Hulk: I was a huge fan of Iron Man and Thor and this table is very similar (for obvious reasons). I love the voice acting ("Puny Humans, I come to SMASH!") and Hulk as a somewhat villain. I also loved the World War Hulk story arc so that's probably why I like this table more than other people do. I like that it has an easy flow to it but the missions aren't quite easy (while not as difficult as some tables). The wizard mode also poses a nice challenge and, like Thor and Iron Man, resets if you fail it. Overall just a very nicely flowing somewhat challenging table.

3: Fear Itself: Honestly, I know every loves this table, but I haven't been able to get into the flow of it. I haven't played it much for that reason. To be truthful though, I said the same thing about Blade and Fantastic Four. I couldn't get into the flow of them and once I did they quickly became 2 of my top 10 favorite tables. Maybe when I put more time into this I will like it much more, we'll see. I do have to say that I love the gloomy dark feel and the music fits it very well. These 2 elements alone make me want to put more time into this table and learn its wonders.

4: The Avengers: Like Fear Itself I haven't put a whole lot of time into this table. I do like the concept of it and the flow is pretty nice. I don't like how the table likes to eat whatever ball I'm working on a mission for and makes me choose another one. But that's a minor annoyance and probably my fault for not paying attention to what I'm doing. My roommate and my mom both love the table. Maybe when I'm not gunning for achievements like I have been the past few days I'll put more time into Fear Itself and Avengers and make a better assessment.

I know I should have put more time into the last 2 tables before posting this but I was bored and this gave me something to do for a bit. All in all I love the pack as a whole. Definitely my favorite Marvel pack to date. Moon Knight still towers over all as my favorite table, but we'll see what the next few releases bring. Hopefully we keep getting quality tables like IG/MK/FF/Blade/Pasha/Biolab in the years to come.
    Wizard Modes Completed: Buccaneer (1-6-11) SotD (1-20-11) Agents (1-24-11) Biolab (3-31-11) MSM (10-8-11) SL (10-12-11)
    Paranormal (10-26-11) S-M (11-13-11) MK (12-15-11) X-Men (12-19-11) GR (1-15-12) CA (1-17-12) EQ (2-16-12) Rome (3-11-12)
    Pasha (3-12-12) NM (3-28-12) Extreme (5-16-12) Thor (5-22-12) SM (5-26-12) WWH (6-21-12) FF (6-22-12) Blade (6-23-12)
    IG (6-24-12) PvZ (1-7-13) ESB (2-27-13) CivilWar (6-22-13) BF (7-2-13)

1. Fear Itself - Everything just feels so right on this table, this might become my all time favorite Zen table.

2. Infinity Gauntlet - Probably the prettiest table of them all, combined with the crazy missions a truly unique experience.

3. The Avengers - Great table with fun gimmics that still retains that nice simple feel of old tables, very cool.

4. WW Hulk - It has some great missions, but misses a nice flow and some clarity about what to do. Still nice though.

Overall just an amazing pack, it still amazes me that you guys can still come up with even better tables. This certainly has become the must-have pack for Pinball FX2 imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    I'm really horrible at Infinity Gauntlet so far but it doesn't make the stacking any less fun...think I had Gauntlet multi, Monument multi, Silver Surfer mode, and the Reality Gem mission all going at once. I might not be scoring a ton or getting very many gems actually collected but I was having a blast trying to keep 4 balls productive on an upside down table with unlimited Ball Save (and it was the one time I actually passed the mission). When the mission finished I had at one point all four balls bouncing around the bumpers for the soul catch thing, was the closest I had to starting whatever multi it starts. The invisible force thing that keeps the balls up there when you actually beat the mission is a pretty cool little feature.
    PSN: Loc_Dog_ (feel free 2 add, mention ZP2 or these forums if you will! )
    Wizarded on ZP2: Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, Captain America, Plants vs Zombies, Ghost Rider, X-MEN, Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade, Paranormal

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    1. Infinity Gauntlet for OBVIOUS reasons.

2. Fear Itself - reasons that were mentioned in previous post

3. Hulk- I love the way the table is designed (well I love all of them ). VA's did a great job as well.

4. Last, but certainly not least, Avengers. Don't really want to put everything that I think about these tables because I don't have the time, but I can assure you that in my honest opinion...this is the best Marvel pack yet with a huge table boost in design. Thank you Zen!
    You and I have the same tastes.

I would also have to say.

1. Infinity Gauntlet- The table looks amazing, the missions are creative, and there are multiple possible ways to stack multiballs on top of whatever you are doing (even other multiballs!)

2. Fear Itself- The missions require more precision and timeing than most other tables do in order to win them. The pong mini game is pretty creative too.

3. World War Hulk- This table seems like the easiest of the four to me. The missions seem too easy for me. I had also been expecting a little more green on the table sincethe time that they had mentioned they were making a hulk table last year. The design fit the scenario but I didn't really like the bland destroyed buildings look.

4. The Avengers- The table looks great and I like the idea of each ball having it's own advantage to using and the fact that you can basically switch out heroes whenever you want to. The main downsides for me are the far right loop because when the ball comes from there it likes to try to head straight down the middle of the flippers (even though it is still easy to block the ball.) The other thing is the black widow ramp. I can't seem to figure out exactly how it is supposed to work. I've hit the ball into it at varying speeds but from the same angle and got different results that don't match up. Example: I hit it in as fast as possible and had no problem then I repeated and had the ball drain. I hit it in as slow as possible with no problem and then did it again to watch the ball drain.