Thread: The Score Keeper

Lightbulb The Score Keeper

Anyone know who this little guy is that pops up on all of the table, letting you know when your score reaches a certain number? This was a superior idea from Zen. He also says kickbacks and balls saver activated. His voice is so cool, he sounds sedated, like he just swallowed a bottle of pain killers. Zen, is this guy also the voice of Silver Surfer?
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

I've been wondering about this as well. Every time I see him, he looks like he has a baby head with some sort of cape on or something

Default He's Uatu the Watcher

That guy is The Watcher.

http://stars.ign.com/objects/923/923819.html

copy/paste from wikipedia - Uatu, often simply known as The Watcher, is a fictional character that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer Stan Lee and designed by artist Jack Kirby, he first appeared in The Fantastic Four #13 (April 1963).

He is a member of the Watchers, an extraterrestrial species who in the distant past stationed themselves across space to monitor the activities of other species. Uatu is the Watcher assigned to observe Earth and its solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by hhphchrisryan View Post
    That guy is The Watcher.

http://stars.ign.com/objects/923/923819.html

copy/paste from wikipedia - Uatu, often simply known as The Watcher, is a fictional character that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer Stan Lee and designed by artist Jack Kirby, he first appeared in The Fantastic Four #13 (April 1963).

He is a member of the Watchers, an extraterrestrial species who in the distant past stationed themselves across space to monitor the activities of other species. Uatu is the Watcher assigned to observe Earth and its solar system.
    I did not know that! Always meant to look him up and see who he was, but always got distracted by PINBALL

I was going to ask exactly the same question! I think he's a great addition as he adds a sense of connection across the various tables.

One of the characters on Fear Itself reacts to him when he turns up too: 'Watcher! Have you come to witness the breaking of worlds?'

I knew had to be some body. Thanks a lot hhp!! He is a nice, fresh addition.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsesmith View Post
    I was going to ask exactly the same question! I think he's a great addition as he adds a sense of connection across the various tables.

One of the characters on Fear Itself reacts to him when he turns up too: 'Watcher! Have you come to witness the breaking of worlds?'
    Yeh its the lil' things like this that make a big difference in the quality of these Tables.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

I LOVE that Zen implemented him. He fits these tables very well.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

He always makes me think of the lil guy who would pop up in mortal combat, when you either got a good uppercut or knocked them across the screen. He sounded like he said "yatzee" in really high pitch voice, n since I typically listen to music when I play, I hear that in my head whenever zens shows up.

It's incredibly distracting, but it's still a good indicator to check the DMD. I agree, good call on zens part.

That guy said "Toasty".

If I'm remembering right I don't believe he pops up for The Avengers table but I guess it makes sense because it's movie and not comics based. And the comment from the serpent rider "Watcher! Have you come to witness the breaking of worlds?" that y'all mentioned also got me really good the first time. It was a cool idea that an in-game character "noticed" a dude in the scorebox.
    PSN: Loc_Dog_ (feel free 2 add, mention ZP2 or these forums if you will! )
    Wizarded on ZP2: Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, Captain America, Plants vs Zombies, Ghost Rider, X-MEN, Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade, Paranormal

Uatu is really one of Marvel's stack supporting characters. He always shows up at important events to witness them. When he is present, you always know that something really big is going to happen, mostly Galactus size big.
    I guess Uatu and the watchers were also the inspiration for the watchers on Fringe. There are a few similarities in behaviour and they are also bald. I always thought that they were a tip to the head to Marvel.

When I saw this guy pop up for the first time I thought he was a badly animated MODOK !? I would like to see him implemented on all the tables.

Does anyone else think he looks like Chucky for a minute, before you see the top of his bald head? Or at least the first time you saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Does anyone else think he looks like Chucky for a minute, before you see the top of his bald head? Or at least the first time you saw him.
    He definitely looks scary! I never noticed him until I was previewing the game with a journalist and he was like "who is that creepy baby who keeps popping up?" Haha

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    He definitely looks scary! I never noticed him until I was previewing the game with a journalist and he was like "who is that creepy baby who keeps popping up?" Haha
    Hahaha Creepy baby! That is too funny! I'm literally cracking up all over the place. That was hilarious! I just got the giggles today. My apologies.....
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Haha we had a pretty good laugh over it too! Especially when I couldn't figure out who he was! The journalist and I both decided we needed to brush up on our Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
    Uatu is really one of Marvel's stack supporting characters. He always shows up at important events to witness them. When he is present, you always know that something really big is going to happen, mostly Galactus size big.
    I guess Uatu and the watchers were also the inspiration for the watchers on Fringe. There are a few similarities in behaviour and they are also bald. I always thought that they were a tip to the head to Marvel.
    True I thought this too, wow imagine if Zen did a Fringe Table..... omg just think about it

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I have a a Marvel Poster on my bedroom wall that shows Uatu in all his colourful glory, I also have a big pewter hand painted figure of him somewhere,
    I tried to insert a photo of the poster here but even after reducing it to 0.5 Inches it's still too big to upload.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarl3tPirat3 View Post
    I have a a Marvel Poster on my bedroom wall that shows Uatu in all his colourful glory, I also have a big pewter hand painted figure of him somewhere,
    I tried to insert a photo of the poster here but even after reducing it to 0.5 Inches it's still too big to upload.
    Talking about Posters I got an Avengers Movie one just above my TV.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by Scarl3tPirat3 View Post
    He is a prominent character in the old Marvel Ultimate Alliance game. Uatu in act 3 saves your team of heroes from certain death at the hands of Doom the All Father (yup you read that right). He then sends you across the galaxy for a couple of big missions to stop Doom. In the game he is easily 10 feet tall and his cranium is MASSIVE, the pinball video really doesnt do him justice.

Quote Originally Posted by lexandro View Post
    he is a prominent character in the old marvel ultimate alliance game. Uatu in act 3 saves your team of heroes from certain death at the hands of doom the all father (yup you read that right). He then sends you across the galaxy for a couple of big missions to stop doom. In the game he is easily 10 feet tall and his cranium is massive, the pinball video really doesnt do him justice.
    That is one HUGE BABY

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    LOL. Nice.

Who else would like to see the Watcher in future Marvel tables?

I always thought Uatu was actually a Kannamit from that episode of The Twilight Zone, "To Serve Man".

It's a cookbook!

Actually those who have ever watched the TV series Fringe, will know of the Watcher-inspred characters known as "The Observer".

Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    Lmao! Looks just like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    I always thought Uatu was actually a Kannamit from that episode of The Twilight Zone, "To Serve Man".

It's a cookbook!

Actually those who have ever watched the TV series Fringe, will know of the Watcher-inspred characters known as "The Observer".
    mad props to the serve man reference!!!

Greatest tv series in history! not only that, arguably the greatest twilight zone episode ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Who else would like to see the Watcher in future Marvel tables?
    Back in the mid 90's.... I remember a "What If" comic that combined the Punisher.... with Venom (for those that don't know the "
    what if" series was. It was mainly centered around the watcher, and basically "what if" scenarios if different heroes had each other's powers, set in their own storylines. Was pretty damn good!). AND IT WAS AMAZING.

venom... WITH GUNS??!??!?!?!?!?!?!? can't get better than that if you ask me

Sounds like a pinball table to me

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKodiaK View Post

The game mentions him on the "Fear Itself" table. Whenever he pops up Odin says "The watcher! Have you come to witness the breaking of worlds?"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKodiaK View Post
    Back in the mid 90's.... I remember a "What If" comic that combined the Punisher.... with Venom (for those that don't know the "
    what if" series was. It was mainly centered around the watcher, and basically "what if" scenarios if different heroes had each other's powers, set in their own storylines. Was pretty damn good!). AND IT WAS AMAZING.

Sounds like a pinball table to me
    Alternate universe stuff is great for things well known enough to twist. Starwars has some of the best I've seen. In one luke dies on hoth after han finds him. Han pursues luke's last words and goes to degoba to find yoda.

In another luke turns to the dark side n leia trains to take luke n the emperor down.

When I was lil n pretended to be a superhero, I mixed all my favorites into one n developed a sorta highlander effect, that when someone kills one, they acquired the power. My story started with spidey being thrown into a wall near me, n close to death - not wantin an evil gambit (someone who killed gambit) to get his powers, spidey told me to finish him.

I get teary eyed thinkin about it now. Such a tragically touching moment in my memory... Ahh, imagination is a powerful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydTheVoid View Post
    "You! watcher! Have you come to witness the breaking of worlds?"
    Fixed Sorry, got all nerdy on you...Maybe I'm wrong though haha.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    Fixed Sorry, got all nerdy on you...Maybe I'm wrong though haha.
    That's it.

What's really nerdy is the fact I find myself replying to Odin with 'No! He's here to witness the breaking of highscores!'

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsesmith View Post
    That's it.

What's really nerdy is the fact I find myself replying to Odin with 'No! He's here to witness the breaking of highscores!'
    I blame you.
    Last night I lost a ball because you got me wondering if there were worlds breaking somewhere outside my usual field of view. I hadn't noticed that I started the hurry up mode n, so the ball didn't bounce for the easy catch like i'd expected.

There aren't any representations of planets being broke, just fyi...
    And you owe me a ball.
    If life's really just a game, it was designed to be played co-op.

Picked up a 2010 issue of a Deadpool "Team- Up" comic, guest starring the Watcher. On the cover, Watcher's huge face/cranium takes up most of the left side, down in lower right, Deadpool is in a bathtub, looking at you, and he says "This is getting creepy". LMFAO.