Thread: So You Think the Voice Acting Sucks, Do You?

Default So You Think the Voice Acting Sucks, Do You?

Honestly, the voice acting in PBFX2/Marvel Pinball is REALLY good. Don't believe me? Look at this video of the new X-MEN pinball table by Stern. It's voice work is LAUGHABLE:

Skip to 0:24, 1:01, 3:05 (!), 3:10 (cringe worthy), 3:23, etc... I swear, it sounds like the same dude did all the voices.

I know it's different' since it's a real pinball table, but you'd think Marvel would do a little better than this. I'm not trying to bash the real table or anything either, just trying to point out that people shouldn't be complaining about this

Also, I'd point out a lot of similar bells/whistles from the X-Men table and this real table, but that's for another day (Ice Man Bridge anyone? Haha)

I randomly ran across this video just the other day. I was laughing for a good bit because I hadn't figured a way out to punch the guy through the computer screen. Yes the voices are terrible and it seems like an inordinate amount of things have been "ripped off" from the Marvel Pinball table. Maybe it's too harsh of a word but maybe it's not. They charge ridiculous amounts of money for those tables. Zen puts a lot of work into their designs and you end up paying $2-3 for a table if you don't get lucky with a code or got free tables from PS+

Just my 2 cents.

*Do people complain about voices? I think their great just some can get annoying when you hear them 1000 times (I'm looking at you Odin, it's just a freakin nudge!)
    Last edited by Loc_Dog_; 07-11-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Another thought...
    PSN: Loc_Dog_ (feel free 2 add, mention ZP2 or these forums if you will! )
    Wizarded on ZP2: Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, Captain America, Plants vs Zombies, Ghost Rider, X-MEN, Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade, Paranormal

I haven't heard anyone complain about the voice acting. What do they say they don't like? I could understand the repetitiveness being a factor. Several months ago I turned off the voice and extra sound effects audio channels and I haven't turned them back on yet. The last table I remember hearing was Paranormal and I actually liked it. But hearing only the ball and the table mechanics is perfect for me. I think I'm a better player because of that decision. Less distraction seems to allow for better concentration. /2cents

Wow, that was bad. I'm guessing Stern used whoever they had around the office.

As for people disliking the voice acting on Zen's games, I've read a bunch of the Avengers Chronicles reviews. Most were very complimentary to the voice acting, a few called it "Cheezy" (although I think one reviewer meant it in a good way). Some were unhappy they didn't use the actual voices from the film. But most seemed to like it, at worst they didn't even comment ont it. Others, like people here, got annoyed with the repetitiveness of the voice work, not the acting itself.

i agree with Snakeman pretty terrible voice acting which is disappointing for a Stern's table
    still some really impressive features and a really good looking table overall

I think the voice acting is quite good in general (especially from F4 onward as explained). I also can point out though that some voice clips are unnecessary and thus become repetitive quite quickly (the nudge on Thor as pointed out is a "bad" example the same with Ghost Rider if I remember correctly). On those tables I just play with the sound off... not so much because I can't handle it but rather because my wife goes crazy in the background... and that is not as much fun as it might seem That is also why I started playing with the music off... imagine having a 6 hour game on Ms. Splosion Man and having that incessant music repeating all the time... crazy wife In the end the music off and the sounds low is the best thing I could have done for my game along with getting rid of all the other distractions... including the DMD where possible (previous discussion).

My main irk though with the voices and sounds is not their quality in general, but rather the reuse of them. Fear Itself reuses so many voices and sounds from previous tables, especially from Wolverine. I didn't know that there was a Samurai in the Fear Itself universe so why do you hear a Samurai announce that your ball has been locked I have heard all those sounds and voices more than enough times when I played Wolverine so I definitely don't want to keep on hearing them on another table. It just comes over as being badly planned and a bit desperate, as if they ran out of time when finishing up the table.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Zen, am I right in thinking that the Punisher's voice is the same actor that does Moon Knight? I wish we could see all the actors, read their biographies, and see which tables/voices they work on. That would be really cool. After all, without them we really wouldn't have as fun tables!
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Zen, am I right in thinking that the Punisher's voice is the same actor that does Moon Knight? I wish we could see all the actors, read their biographies, and see which tables/voices they work on. That would be really cool. After all, without them we really wouldn't have as fun tables!
    Not sure, but I can ask Jonathan and see if he can answer that for you! Due to union rules, we can't just post lists of actors and their roles, unfortunately.

That table wasn't too bad at all. Yeah the voice acting wasn't that great, but it still looked fun. I'm kind of salty that they jacked the "Ice Bridge" though. I like Zen's voice actor. I know for a fact that the same voice actor who did Magneto on the X-Men table, is the same voice actor that voiced Magneto on the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 games. It's too identical and I love it.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    I'm kind of salty that they jacked the "Ice Bridge" though.
    That's not the only thing they jacked. What about the "gathering the X-Men" part?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    That's not the only thing they jacked. What about the "gathering the X-Men" part?
    Some sort of Dark Phoenix mode too The table still looks cool though, probably very fun. I wasn't trying to bash it or anything, just the voice acting parts.

Cool, thanks a lot.

Talking

Voice acting in pbfx is very good.
    The only exception is the annoying "is there a break in space-time?" in Paranormal.

I hate to state the obvious but real pinball machines are in development a good year before they are released. Stern didn't "jack" anything. I doubt they had inside info on what Zen was doing with their X-Men table.

Quote Originally Posted by GSHT06SRT8 View Post
    I hate to state the obvious but real pinball machines are in development a good year before they are released. Stern didn't "jack" anything. I doubt they had inside info on what Zen was doing with their X-Men table.
    Maybe...maybe not. Don't forget it takes 8 months and up for Zen to develop tables. I'm not saying that Stern jacked them, but I'm not saying that they didn't either. Call it a coincidence?
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

It'd be one hell of a coincidence. I think Marvel had a hand in telling Stern what the wanted. Knowing how good Zen's X-Men table was gonna be, Marvel probably made an outline for Stern to follow. I am too curious why the voice acting is so bad on a real pinball machine. I think they just use voices that have always sorta been in real pinball machines. Not over the top, dramatic as they would for a digital game. Think about it, on a digital table, don't you want the voices extra good? On a real life table, it doesn't matter as much.

Quote Originally Posted by GSHT06SRT8 View Post
    And video pinball tables are in development for about eight months before they are released. The tables are way too similar. There's something fishy going on here one way or another.
    PSN: Bearded_Warrior

Table Wishlist: Lord of the Rings, God of War, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda, and Marvel's Archangel.