Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: So...the "Superscore" isn't really so "super." Really, it's just bull****.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    490

    Default So...the "Superscore" isn't really so "super." Really, it's just bull****.

    What is your "Superscore" really indicative of?

    I only ask because BOKOOMONEY is 5th with a "Superscore" of 2,262,767

    Upon further inspection, he has played a whole whopping ONE table. Paranormal. His score? 2,262,767,289,771

    Has played ONE table, and is 5th in Superscore. What's worse? He's only got the 3rd highest score on that table.

    Now...I don't give a rat's arse about Superscore, but what's the point in having it if you can play but one table, and have the 5th highest Superscore? Doesn't sound so super to me.


    Input appreciated.

    EDIT: Furthermore, the high score is 4.9 TRILLION? LOL Oh yeah? LOL
    Last edited by UranusIsBroken; 07-18-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Because it's ****ing hysterical.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    244

    Default

    from what i understand, paranormal table allows 5 extra balls per ball.

    That and i know from reading around here people have played 16+ hours on a single game of that table. Now, I personally don't know what bugs or whatever is going on to achieve such a high score on that table. But i DO however recall that you can just slam extra balls into the cube over and over and over again without actually doing any of the missions. Only happened to me once. Don't know how to do it again.

    but then again it's midnight, have had a few drinks. So i really don't know.

    Paranormal is one of those tables that i like and "hate" at the same time. Because it's one of the tables i don't even have a 100 million score on. However, it seems to be a table that a lot of people in the past took a giant advantage over for scores.

  3. #3
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKodiaK View Post
    That and i know from reading around here people have played 16+ hours on a single game of that table. Now, I personally don't know what bugs or whatever is going on to achieve such a high score on that table.
    Simple! Just grind the haunted house.

    If you hit all 9 targets and then shoot the ball to the roof (the blaster), you get 20 million points and lits an extra ball.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    @ DarkKodiak - Have you seen Cloda's thread and video for high scores on Paranormal? It is the blueprint if you want it.

    https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...for-Paranormal

    @ the thread

    There are a few tags high up the list with just a few tables played. Howling bull is in 11th with less than 10 tables played. His spiderman score is by itself good for 14th. For myself I set myself a goal of trying to get my ranking into the top 100 on every table. Which is why I was grumpy at the no F4 leaderboard reset. I have had every table in the top 100 but that one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Superscore is indeed fooked - you are right Paranormal is mainly to blame but the seeds were sown long before that.

    The Spiderman tournament started to send things out of kilter - I remember I went up to 38th in the world after that even though I had only posted paltry scores on most of the other tables. I was ahead of many better players who just didnt play the table.

    That was bad but Paranormal sent it to a whole new level. From what I remember most peoples technique was to keep raising the jackpot on the Doppelganger multiball which carries over from ball to ball. Eventually you can raise it to 100's of millions. I had a go at grinding it but too many bugs and my gaming time is too limited.

    So yes superscore is pretty meaningless now - shame as I like the concept.
    Last edited by Alipan; 07-18-2012 at 08:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Superscore works for the vast majority of players too. I agree with UAIB and you Alipan but I wonder what could replace it to make it better for the top 10 percent. I personally think it would be a design straightjacket to try to make scoring uniform across tables. I want to advocate for table rankings but I can not think of a simple way. If you want to make table rankings matter you have to take into consideration how many tags have played each table, divide a tag's rank into the total number of tags for that table, take the percentages for each tag's score for each table and average them, giving a zero for each table not played. Then you might be ready to rank out tags by the 'score' obtained. Just imagine trying to explain this in the UI. Oh yeah, we would also need to do a kickstarter for Zen so they could buy a supercomputer to crunch numbers and explain to people how your ranking could go up without you even playing a game. Sigh

    Maybe the best bet for us is to continue to advocate to Zen for ways to make games shorter. They really have listened to us on the extra ball situation after all. Paranormal would be less of a outlier if it didn't take so long to play, right?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPestZ View Post
    Superscore works for the vast majority of players too. I agree with UAIB and you Alipan but I wonder what could replace it to make it better for the top 10 percent. I personally think it would be a design straightjacket to try to make scoring uniform across tables. I want to advocate for table rankings but I can not think of a simple way. If you want to make table rankings matter you have to take into consideration how many tags have played each table, divide a tag's rank into the total number of tags for that table, take the percentages for each tag's score for each table and average them, giving a zero for each table not played. Then you might be ready to rank out tags by the 'score' obtained. Just imagine trying to explain this in the UI. Oh yeah, we would also need to do a kickstarter for Zen so they could buy a supercomputer to crunch numbers and explain to people how your ranking could go up without you even playing a game. Sigh

    Maybe the best bet for us is to continue to advocate to Zen for ways to make games shorter. They really have listened to us on the extra ball situation after all. Paranormal would be less of a outlier if it didn't take so long to play, right?
    Haha... great idea! Sounds about right on par with the discussion we had on the forum a while ago. You are more than welcome to dig into them, but remember once you go down the rabbit hole...

    - Destruction of Superscore
    - Destruction of Superscore 2
    - Alternative leaderboards and table goals

    Talking about Extra balls... I'm still confused as how it actually works on the Marvel AC tables. I'm pretty sure that on both Hulk and Fear Itself that I managed to get more than 3 extra balls on the first ball and then struggle to get more for the rest of the game. My suspicion is that you are still limited to 6 extra balls per game but that it can be scored at any time. Can anybody confirm it, or am I just seeing things
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Discord server - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  8. #8
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    Talking about Extra balls... I'm still confused as how it actually works on the Marvel AC tables. I'm pretty sure that on both Hulk and Fear Itself that I managed to get more than 3 extra balls on the first ball and then struggle to get more for the rest of the game. My suspicion is that you are still limited to 6 extra balls per game but that it can be scored at any time. Can anybody confirm it, or am I just seeing things
    It's actually 5 extra balls "per game" on those tables.

    Just take a look at the operator's menu. It will tell you what the settings (tilt warnings, extra balls, scoring) are.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    It's actually 5 extra balls "per game" on those tables.

    Just take a look at the operator's menu. It will tell you what the settings (tilt warnings, extra balls, scoring) are.
    I like it because often times I can start a game off an be in the zone and manage to score really big and earn a lot of extra balls. With the older tables with the 2 extra ball limit, the pressure builds up when you realise you are on your second or third ball and have to get an extra ball before your game ends... and often it ends very soon there after. Anyway... a bit long-winded, but all I'm trying to express is that it is now possible to stack up your extra balls while you are on a roll with a ball and stand a better chance of acquiring the maximum amount of extra balls.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Discord server - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPestZ View Post
    @ DarkKodiak - Have you seen Cloda's thread and video for high scores on Paranormal? It is the blueprint if you want it.

    https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthr...for-Paranormal

    @ the thread

    There are a few tags high up the list with just a few tables played. Howling bull is in 11th with less than 10 tables played. His spiderman score is by itself good for 14th. For myself I set myself a goal of trying to get my ranking into the top 100 on every table. Which is why I was grumpy at the no F4 leaderboard reset. I have had every table in the top 100 but that one.
    Thanks, i'll give it a look later on.

    *edit*

    well how about that... after reading that i had a game of max extra balls and got 233 million. Yea, score sucked. Never really got the jackpot value all that high. Also FINALLY got the achievement for banishing the ghosts from the attic. Really don't like the grinding type nature of trying to get a really high score. Wizard mode was kinda lame too.

    so there ya go!
    Last edited by DarkKodiaK; 07-19-2012 at 01:32 AM.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    57

    Red face I love the emotions being expressed here.

    Sounds to me like people don't want to put in the time on the infamous Paranormal table. To hate on someone because they have a high score on 1 table is pretty rough. Paranormal is not only tough in the reflex department, but mentally that table is grueling. It is psychologically exhausting doing the same shots over and over again on that table. At any time on Paranormal you can have a game breaker, which is mentally demanding as well. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Be cool man, it's only Pinball, not anything overly serious.
    Last edited by theRonlyConly97; 07-19-2012 at 09:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    Haha... great idea! Sounds about right on par with the discussion we had on the forum a while ago. You are more than welcome to dig into them, but remember once you go down the rabbit hole

    Talking about Extra balls... I'm still confused as how it actually works on the Marvel AC tables. I'm pretty sure that on both Hulk and Fear Itself that I managed to get more than 3 extra balls on the first ball and then struggle to get more for the rest of the game. My suspicion is that you are still limited to 6 extra balls per game but that it can be scored at any time. Can anybody confirm it, or am I just seeing things

    I really do not think table rankings are a good idea in the end. I mostly typed that out so I could comment on this subject without commenting on someone else's ideas as I come to a negative conclusion. If real world considerations were not important I think table ranks would be great.

    As for the extra balls it is like Shogun answered. This to me was good design. You are right the extra balls are not as easy to get as well for IG, FI and even Avengers. Hulk is pretty easy but still not excessive.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theRonlyConly97 View Post
    Sounds to me like people don't want to put in the time on the infamous Paranormal table. To hate on someone because they have a high score on 1 table is pretty rough. Paranormal is not only tough in the reflex department, but mentally that table is grueling. It is psychologically exhausting doing the same shots over and over again on that table. At any time on Paranormal you can have a game breaker, which is mentally demanding as well. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Be cool man, it's only Pinball, not anything overly serious.
    Who are you talking about? Everyone else is naming names. For the record, the tag I mentioned in my first post looks to be better at pinball than me. Paranormal is far from hard.

    The matter at hand is that I personally do not think that my superscore should be over 40 percent from 2 tables, when those two tables comprise about 7 percent of the total tables I have played. I hate the game your playing, twisting words.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPestZ View Post
    I really do not think table rankings are a good idea in the end. I mostly typed that out so I could comment on this subject without commenting on someone else's ideas as I come to a negative conclusion. If real world considerations were not important I think table ranks would be great.

    As for the extra balls it is like Shogun answered. This to me was good design. You are right the extra balls are not as easy to get as well for IG, FI and even Avengers. Hulk is pretty easy but still not excessive.
    I have kind off given up on the idea that we will have any improvement (if at all) on the superscore system until we maybe get to FX 3. Another more basic idea I though of the other day which could maybe be developed a little further is for superscore to still be worked out the same way that it is now but with each players top and bottom 5 table scores being excluded from the tally (including for the tournament bonus). In this way the "outliers" will be excluded from the calculation and you will get a better overall idea of the players skill in comparison with the rest of the players.

    There is though another possibility as well for FX 3, assuming that all the tables will be transferred to the new platform as with the FX 1 to FX 2 transition. That will be the golden opportunity for Zen to adjust and tweak the scoring mechanism and balance on many of the tables that are just a few steps away from being a brilliant table. Some that come to mind is like Paranormal (reduce extra balls and the building of the jackpot), Sorcerer's Lair (Obsidian stones reset after two play troughs to the wizard mode), Captain America (capping of the EOB) and off course Spiderman (No more Villain levels that build up over games).
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Discord server - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  15. #15

    Default

    I'll use this opportunity to pimp my idea again.. just make Superscore the average of all of your rankings, don't even worry about the scores. So if you're 3rd on one table, 10th on another and 80th on a third, your superscore is 31.. and lower is better, obviously. Unplayed tables factor in as the highest rank for that table. This way you don't have to align the scoring on all the tables -- 10th place with a score of 80 trillion is as good as 10th place with a score of 120,000.

    As for Paranormal, the gameplay may not be risky, but getting a high score is.. the table is very glitchy. I spent 10+ hours on a single game, and it glitched out with my score somewhere around 30 billion. I still haven't gone back to it since that happened (or back to FX2 really), although I still check back occassionally to see if there's been a patch.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theRonlyConly97 View Post
    Sounds to me like people don't want to put in the time on the infamous Paranormal table. To hate on someone because they have a high score on 1 table is pretty rough. Paranormal is not only tough in the reflex department, but mentally that table is grueling. It is psychologically exhausting doing the same shots over and over again on that table. At any time on Paranormal you can have a game breaker, which is mentally demanding as well. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Be cool man, it's only Pinball, not anything overly serious.
    You're right. I don't have time to sit on my ass and play forever (don't like saving the game and returning later, ruins my mojo). Not hating on anyone.... so your post kinda confuses me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duwease View Post
    I'll use this opportunity to pimp my idea again.. just make Superscore the average of all of your rankings, don't even worry about the scores. So if you're 3rd on one table, 10th on another and 80th on a third, your superscore is 31.. and lower is better, obviously. Unplayed tables factor in as the highest rank for that table. This way you don't have to align the scoring on all the tables -- 10th place with a score of 80 trillion is as good as 10th place with a score of 120,000.

    As for Paranormal, the gameplay may not be risky, but getting a high score is.. the table is very glitchy. I spent 10+ hours on a single game, and it glitched out with my score somewhere around 30 billion. I still haven't gone back to it since that happened (or back to FX2 really), although I still check back occassionally to see if there's been a patch.
    I like it... quite straight forward and it will give a good representation. If I put a good effort into a table I always feel that I can score at least a top 20 and maybe a top 10. There is usually only 5 or so ridiculous scores on a table, even for a table such as Paranormal and then the scores spread out more. Even though I don't play that often any more, I still believe that I am around top 20 on many of the tables and should thus have a world ranking of there and there about based on my table rankings.
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Discord server - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duwease View Post
    I'll use this opportunity to pimp my idea again.. just make Superscore the average of all of your rankings, don't even worry about the scores. So if you're 3rd on one table, 10th on another and 80th on a third, your superscore is 31.. and lower is better, obviously. Unplayed tables factor in as the highest rank for that table. This way you don't have to align the scoring on all the tables -- 10th place with a score of 80 trillion is as good as 10th place with a score of 120,000.
    I do like the idea of table ranks. Can we expect Zen to use them? They have over 400,000 tags registered with a wizard score which implies we want a system that has to look at ranking 400,000 tags over 32 tables. There are 100,000 less tags on the superstore list for what it is worth. I am not a database programer but I think this is too CPU intensive for us to expect. 400,000 x 32 tables is like 13 million discrete values. Superscore and wizard score as currently computed is a vastly smaller system to work with as many tables have less than 100,000 tags listed on the leader boards and none have more than about 200,000. What makes table ranks bad from a database standpoint is that one new tag that plays a single table can change rankings all across the database. Every new table released makes this get worse. Again, I would love to be able to use something complex but it is more possible than it is probable.

    Would love to be wrong however. Thanks for the post too! Zen listens and the more noise we make the more they will understand it matters to us.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    219

    Default

    I've seen a lot of ideas for new Superscores... mine was to average everyones leaderboard rank, but obviously that wouldn't take care of situations like you describe.
    I still like my own SS, I enjoy watching it inch up bit by juicy bit; it adds a taste of reward for getting a higher score on any table.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North-West England
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Another idea is to use a "par" score for tables and every time the player scores that many on that table, increment their "superscore".

    For example, at the moment the "par" score for every table is 1 million points (well, it is in Marvel Pinball anyway), but what you could do is have a different par score for each table, so typically low scoring tables like Mars would have a par score of, say, 400,000 points, whereas a typically high scoring table like Epic Quest would have a par score of, say, 5 million points.

    How can we decide what par is? I would suggest we take the 10% score on the leaderboard (e.g. for a table with a leaderboard of 100,000 entries, the 10% score is the score holding 10,000th position) and the par score would be a tenth of that.

    Such a system would be less server-intensive as the server could recalculate par, and therefore, everybody's superscore, on a weekly or monthly basis. But it may still be a headache to code.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Nation View Post
    I've seen a lot of ideas for new Superscores... mine was to average everyones leaderboard rank, but obviously that wouldn't take care of situations like you describe.
    I still like my own SS, I enjoy watching it inch up bit by juicy bit; it adds a taste of reward for getting a higher score on any table.
    Totally agree.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeppo99 View Post
    Another idea is to use a "par" score for tables and every time the player scores that many on that table, increment their "superscore".

    For example, at the moment the "par" score for every table is 1 million points (well, it is in Marvel Pinball anyway), but what you could do is have a different par score for each table, so typically low scoring tables like Mars would have a par score of, say, 400,000 points, whereas a typically high scoring table like Epic Quest would have a par score of, say, 5 million points.

    How can we decide what par is? I would suggest we take the 10% score on the leaderboard (e.g. for a table with a leaderboard of 100,000 entries, the 10% score is the score holding 10,000th position) and the par score would be a tenth of that.

    Such a system would be less server-intensive as the server could recalculate par, and therefore, everybody's superscore, on a weekly or monthly basis. But it may still be a headache to code.
    This is a great idea. Even recalculating par 4 times a year would be fine i think. What I like about this is that it weights the scoring on a table only with scoring on that table. That way we can have tables that score millions matter just as much as tables that score billions. It also preserves the effect of crazy high scores some people can get on some tables. First place on Biolab is a huge increase on second place. Heck I have a top 20 score on biolab and first place crushes it. I have around 1 percent of the total value of first place! A straight table rank system would lose that and this system wouldn't. Great idea.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPestZ View Post
    I do like the idea of table ranks. Can we expect Zen to use them? They have over 400,000 tags registered with a wizard score which implies we want a system that has to look at ranking 400,000 tags over 32 tables. There are 100,000 less tags on the superstore list for what it is worth. I am not a database programer but I think this is too CPU intensive for us to expect. 400,000 x 32 tables is like 13 million discrete values. Superscore and wizard score as currently computed is a vastly smaller system to work with as many tables have less than 100,000 tags listed on the leader boards and none have more than about 200,000. What makes table ranks bad from a database standpoint is that one new tag that plays a single table can change rankings all across the database. Every new table released makes this get worse. Again, I would love to be able to use something complex but it is more possible than it is probable.

    Would love to be wrong however. Thanks for the post too! Zen listens and the more noise we make the more they will understand it matters to us.
    Luckily, I *am* a database programmer (among other programming tasks) The simplest way would just be to recalculate a player's average ranking whenever it changes and is saved to a table leaderboard, and then plug the number generated into the overall superscore leaderboard at the appropriate position.. and 100,000 rows isn't a whole lot in a simple, indexed table like that. I assume it's probably identical to how they do it today when someone's table score goes up and is posted (recalculate superscore, then a single update to the central superscore table)

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Okay, here is what the real bull **** is. the same complaints about the SS sytem all of the time. I mean really, who cares if one guy only played one table and got a trillion on it? For one, just go play that table and conquer yourself. two, most of the "one table" guys are just other crazy (literally I imagine) good players creating other accounts somehow, getting a gigantic score, just to up his own SS or something. Who cares though, instead of whining (yes I know I've whined before probably about something) about it why not just focus on upping your own skills and your own SS. The SS system is brilliant and simple and is extremely gratifying as you watch it raised, as Dalek Nation said too. Some of these other options are just too complicated and frankly, I don't see the fun in any of them AT ALL. I hope I'm not coming off as harsh or whatever, I am simply just expressing my own, unique opinion. No reason to attack me for it. Any way, if Zen ends up choosing a new SS system so be it. of course I will continue to play. July 4th I hit the one year mark of playing Zen Studios pinball. My skills have imrpoved dramatically since that time ( I played FarSight William's PHOF disc for a few years before that), have yours? That is truely what everyone should be focused on. On that note everyone have a great weekend.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  25. #25
    Senior Member Cloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Okay, here is what the real bull **** is. the same complaints about the SS sytem all of the time. I mean really, who cares if one guy only played one table and got a trillion on it? For one, just go play that table and conquer yourself. two, most of the "one table" guys are just other crazy (literally I imagine) good players creating other accounts somehow, getting a gigantic score, just to up his own SS or something. Who cares though, instead of whining (yes I know I've whined before probably about something) about it why not just focus on upping your own skills and your own SS. The SS system is brilliant and simple and is extremely gratifying as you watch it raised, as Dalek Nation said too. Some of these other options are just too complicated and frankly, I don't see the fun in any of them AT ALL. I hope I'm not coming off as harsh or whatever, I am simply just expressing my own, unique opinion. No reason to attack me for it. Any way, if Zen ends up choosing a new SS system so be it. of course I will continue to play. July 4th I hit the one year mark of playing Zen Studios pinball. My skills have imrpoved dramatically since that time ( I played FarSight William's PHOF disc for a few years before that), have yours? That is truely what everyone should be focused on. On that note everyone have a great weekend.
    Its pretty simple for me lasvegas... the superscore systems is not giving me any joy at all. My position on the superscore leaderboard has not changed at all with the 5.5 Billion more or less that I have scored up until now for the Marvel CA pack (Same with the Marvel V&V pack). Basically what it comes down to is if you put up a massive score on Paranormal or Spiderman, superscore becomes superfluous. We need a new system and unless Zen understands the reasons for it, they won't do anything about. My table goals these days are simple - beat wizard mode, score a billion and get into the top 20. After that I start playing other tables because to score more than a billion usually take a couple of hours and I'm not interested in putting longer games in on a table any more.

    Well done with you improved skills, I have noticed that you scores have improved quite significantly
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

    Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

    Discord server - PinStratsDan

    Twitter - PinStratsDan

    Facebook - PinStratsDan

    Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

  26. #26
    Senior Member Mammouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Toulouse
    Posts
    110

    Default

    On the French Pinball Mafia's forum, I made a proposal for a new "Superscore".

    For each table, when you rank from the 20th place and after, you score the same amount of points than your rank.
    Before the 20th place, you score the same amount of points than your rank + a minus point for the rank (1 point bonus for being 19th, 10 for being 1st) + a 1 point minus if your score is most than 10% better than the next rank, this minus is cumulative and if your score is 54% better than the next one, you score 5 minus points.
    The best players will have a negative score, so just make the opposite to have a positive score, and the players above the 10-20th place will have some negative score.
    With this method, you gains some points for the place you reach + some points if you are in the top 20 + some points if your score is a lot bigger than the next one.
    With the last scoring, you can earn points by increasing your score, even if your place doesn't change. Also, the tables where you can't make a lot of points (like Iron-Man) will give the same amount of minus-bonus points because it takes the difference of 2 scores in percentage.

    I made an excel file with this on december before the V&V pack and the leaderboard was pretty accurate. Maybe I will update it next week, but with 14 tables, it will take some times. That why I want an online leaderboard on Zen website, so I can import the HTML page, extract scores, put them in a database and a program will make the update in less than 1 minutes.
    When Mammouth will be hungry, it means that thin people will have already died

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Thanks a lot Cloda. You're super good so yeah I can see why'd you have problems with the SS. I think.

    Mammouth, perfect example. Too complicated. Not fun at all.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  28. #28
    Senior Member Nekro Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562

    Default

    That's the wrong way to milk the table, no you need to play one of the multiball modes and constantly raise the jackpot score by shooting the spinner.

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wonderland, California
    Posts
    87

    Default

    SS are useful for comparisons between close friends n rivals. The guy who got me into pb n I have been trading a 500pt difference, ever since the first time I surpassed his score, which was only by a 4pt margin.

    As ur broken anus showed- its not hard to ferret out who are milking the grindable tables. If your one of them, you compete with them - if you play for overall control n finesse, compete with like minded rivals.
    It's like a diff class of player altogether. It'd be nice if we could filter them out, but thats what friends lists are for.

    Don't hate just cuz you can't relate. Challenge a grinder to a game on mars or pasha. Take them outta their element. If you really wanna show em up. Get em on a first to #pts game, on their moneymaker table.

    Complaints should be dealt with out on the table, inevitably.
    Everyone, including the grinders, recognize who the real wizkids are across the board. Their names show up on most tables, top 25 - 50, if not all.

    Broken tables like paranormal n EQ, are a drag for those of us who enjoy building our overall ball control. I've always said grinding is test of resilience, where as wizard modes test persistence. I just figure I'll get to raising my score on those when I'm satisfied with my other scores enough to take a break... Which hasn't happened yet. *shrug*

    What's all the hubbub, bub?
    Last edited by CheshireGrin1221; 07-28-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    If life's really just a game, it was designed to be played co-op.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    After thinking about it, the SS system maybe need a little change. Like crackervizzo said in an interview, eventually trying to get a new high score on a table becomes a herculean task. Obviously the better you are the more problem this creates. So yeah maybe some kind of change would be good.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    57

    Default we are talking about pinball, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    After thinking about it, the SS system maybe need a little change. Like crackervizzo said in an interview, eventually trying to get a new high score on a table becomes a herculean task. Obviously the better you are the more problem this creates. So yeah maybe some kind of change would be good.
    Beating high scores isn't herculean, it's pinball man, it's supposed to entertain. Just have with it. The Superscore system is slightly flawed, We all know this, but stop treating it like it's the world's economy problem. We don't need any more complicated equations. This will all be resolved when FX3 is released. Next time, Zen should have a placement score. (A POINT SYSTEM WHERE YOU GET MORE POINTS FOR PLACING HIGHER ON THE RANKING LIST) Superscore is what it is, an overall look at your total points scored. Stop trying to redefine it.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas / The Silver State
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theRonlyConly97 View Post
    Beating high scores isn't herculean, it's pinball man, it's supposed to entertain. Just have with it. The Superscore system is slightly flawed, We all know this, but stop treating it like it's the world's economy problem. We don't need any more complicated equations. This will all be resolved when FX3 is released. Next time, Zen should have a placement score. (A POINT SYSTEM WHERE YOU GET MORE POINTS FOR PLACING HIGHER ON THE RANKING LIST) Superscore is what it is, an overall look at your total points scored. Stop trying to redefine it.
    Nice idea. And hopefully that wasn't all directed towards me, I never had a problem with the SS, lots of other people would like to redefine it though!
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

  33. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I've noticed the same thing... My meesley 1. whatever billion is nothing compared to some of my friends on my friends list (I've got a friend or 2 that have over 200 billion or so on Paranormal), I did a quick look and there's only one friend on my friend's list that's currently above me in Superscore AND he has less then 10 billion on Paranormal. That's okay though, it seems like when I play my friends that are blowing me out in Superscore still can't hang with me on multiplayer.....

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Flint Hills
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    After thinking about it, the SS system maybe need a little change. Like crackervizzo said in an interview, eventually trying to get a new high score on a table becomes a herculean task. Obviously the better you are the more problem this creates. So yeah maybe some kind of change would be good.
    I think it is important that any changes be pretty minor too. I really like the weighed scoring idea just because it would seem to address the issue of being top 1000 with one good table score. Table ranking just seem to be fixing one extreme by introducing the other. If Zen went with table ranks to be in the top 100 you would have to have high scores on every table instead of the current status quo of needing good scores on a few tables. One table that you did not own or did not feel like playing would have the same effect on your ranking that a single table can today.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Unless it's a tournament, I think people need to stop thinking about *overall* scores.

    The SS system as is; is broken. I kind of ignore it and I kind of ignore cross-table scoring relations. Every table has a different scoring band as we all know and I would rather Zen's efforts go toward getting out other things over a SS revamp at the moment.

    So basically the bottom line is that you kind of have to just ignore it and look on a table-by-table basis. We all know Blue is good, it doesn't matter where he is on the SS (i'm not sure whose first or w/e) and he has proven this legitimately through competitions and generally being in the top 10 on almost every table.

    Same goes for the other regulars at the top of the leader-boards. It is frustrating to have a scoring system that's broken but everyone knows it's broken, so really I don't think anyone looks at it as a means of evaluating how good or bad players are.

    I really like the Par score redesign, but I think that would take too much time currently to implement.

  36. #36
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lepruk86 View Post
    Unless it's a tournament, I think people need to stop thinking about *overall* scores. <spin>
    I have to agree with you there. On the PS3 side, it's called the "Hero Score". I personally have never payed attention to it and have always kept a close eye on the individual table scores instead.

    The Hero Score is just as broken on the PS3, since most people can inflate them with the Spiderman table. Yet, these people don't get anywhere near my individual scores on the other tables. It's just not a good measuring stick to go with in my opinion.

    I've always saw the Hero/Super Score and Team Score (Wizard Score?) as a way to make the casual and average pinball players feel good about themselves. Being in the top 100 on the "all time" leader boards does feel rewarding after all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •