Thread: Live or drop catch possible?

Default Live or drop catch possible?

Is it possible in any version of Zen/Pinball FX to perform live catches or drop catches? I find that in most video pinball simulations that the physics are programmed in such a way that these techniques are impossible. However, playing on location, a failed live catch kicks the ball away (and out of control), so I thought I'd ask first. After all, just because I can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by chiralfox View Post
    Is it possible in any version of Zen/Pinball FX to perform live catches or drop catches? I find that in most video pinball simulations that the physics are programmed in such a way that these techniques are impossible. However, playing on location, a failed live catch kicks the ball away (and out of control), so I thought I'd ask first. After all, just because I can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
    I am doing drop catches all the time in Pinball FX 2, so I would say yes, it is possible In Zen Pinball 2, it will be possible too.

Both techniques are possible in ZP, but even among PAPA world champions live catches aren't a consistent skill.
    As far as I can tell, ZP has the best physics of every pinball videogame out there, but it is more "arcade" oriented rather than attempting to be a hardcore pinball simulator (less overall difficulty in feeds from ramps and kickouts, extremely forgiving tilt, etc).

From my experience, of all the tables in ZP only the Epic Quest loops require an advanced catch in order to keep the ball under control.

what exactly do you mean by "Live or drop catch". describe the technique. Thanks. I am only unfamiliar with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    what exactly do you mean by "Live or drop catch". describe the technique. Thanks. I am only unfamiliar with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    The video sums up the live catch. The flipper meets the ball and deadens its momentum. A drop catch is where the flipper is left up, and then released as soon as the ball hits the flipper, also deadening the momentum, but requiring quick action since the ball isn't trapped.

thanks, just hadn't heard those terms before. Cheers.
    Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26