Thread: LT/RT vs LB/RB

Question LT/RT vs LB/RB

I usually use the triggers but recently I switched to the bumpers and I'm finding them very useful during multiball modes. It doesn't feel "natural" to hold the controller in that way and after an hour or two of playing a table my fingers start to ache (more than normal). But it seems to be more effective at certain times like when you need to make fast shots in multiball or getting shots near the top of the table with secondary flippers.

I'm wondering what do you use and what do you think about it?

i prefer the bumpers, but started with the triggers as well. i enjoy the shorter "way" i have to go to activate the flippers. no finger pain here.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

I'm a Trigger Man myself.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

what are you guys talking about?
    Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26

I'm a trigger man as well! Not talking about guns here either.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    what are you guys talking about?
    Is there something unclear that I can't see in the original post?

I use Bumpers ( LB RB). I started with LT RB too.
    Bumpers are more responsive in my opinion.

yeah, I don't understand what you mean by LT RB, switching to bumpers???

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    yeah, I don't understand what you mean by LT RB, switching to bumpers???
    We are talking about the controller setup we're using on xbox. Whether it's left bumper & right bumper or left trigger or right trigger that we use preferably. The equivalents on PlayStation 3 are L1/R1 or L2/R2.

ahhh, that explains it. Same term for part of a controller and part of a PB table (bumpers).. I was lost. (PS3 here).

I'm a trigger guy personally, it seems that with the triggers I can give it more touch opposed to the bumpers where I just slam the balls everytime I hit them (this could all be in my head though... I'm not sure )

I use bumpers (R1 and L1 on the PS3 controller), however, for launching I use the right trigger (R2), and tilting I use the d-pad.

I used to use the triggers to start with, and got some of my best scores at the original tables that way. However I switched to the bumpers with the marval pack and now I am able to really push for bigger scores on newer tables. All tables released after the FX2 core pack are to me much better to play with the bumpers. I find it extremely natural as I am an "old school" console gamer from way back. I did a helluva lot of gaming on the Snes and the system of using the bumpers for the flippers is what I did on pinball for that way back. So the finger memory was already there, just suppressed from lack of use.

I find timing a lot simpler and easier and the shots required much better for bumper usage. Triggers always seem to have a fractional delay on activation and that puts me right off for timing. With the bumpers I can consistantly hit shots I know even from other tables with a fair bit of accuracy. The late flipper shot for the cross field features my pal and me call "The SNIKT" shot with us learning it on wolverine. With the triggers I almost never made this shot, but with bumpers I can go for it with confidence and make it 8/10 times.

Ive been trying to convert my buddy to using bumpers to increase his scoring. But to be fair he is better atm with the triggers from playing that way since FX2 launch.

Cool

I use L1/R1 for flippers, left thumb for bump, and X for launch. PS3.

I usually play on the PS3, since I own all of the tables there (have PBFX2 but no Marvel tables).

On the PS3, both R1/L1 and R2/L2 are pressure sensitive. On the 360, I definitely use RB/LB. Staging flippers is useful on certain tables, for example, multiball jackpot shots to the mill on Epic Quest, but it makes my fingers hurts (I have carpal tunnel).

Hello everyone. May I remind you that Triggers are by essence analogic buttons, and therefore they are meant to be used for actions that need progressive control, exactly as an analogic stick would do. A good example is racing games like Forza, where the trigger acts as an accelerator, giving the engine more power as the trigger is pushed further.

Since a pinball button is basically just a button, progressive control doesn't apply. So the triggers are just regarded by the game as normal buttons : when the trigger is pushed further enough, the game will just know you pushed the button ; but in-between, it's nothing but a loss of time.

When playing pinball, you want precision. Maybe more precision that you would want in many other kind of games : try to play it with your xbox connected to a Philips with Natural Motion, and you'll understand what I mean when your flipper is triggered like 1 second after you pushed the button, it's just impossible to play pinball on such a TV. So you want the flippers to trigger exactly at the very instant your finger moves, and this is just not possible with triggers because here triggers are used for a purpose they shouldn't be used to : single, normal press ; normal press is the job of a normal button, that's all.

In the countrary, a trigger would be the perfect thing to control the plunger.

I find triggers to be more comfortable for my fingers. I tried to use bumpers but my hands started aching after a while ,so i gave up.

Inviato dal mio LG-E610 con Tapatalk 2
    "The heart reveals what smiles betray" - Rise against

Although I prefer the idea of the buttons in principle because they are on/off rather than analogue, I use the triggers because I find them to be more comfortable and quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Hello everyone. May I remind you that Triggers are by essence analogic buttons, and therefore they are meant to be used for actions that need progressive control, exactly as an analogic stick would do. A good example is racing games like Forza, where the trigger acts as an accelerator, giving the engine more power as the trigger is pushed further.

Since a pinball button is basically just a button, progressive control doesn't apply. So the triggers are just regarded by the game as normal buttons : when the trigger is pushed further enough, the game will just know you pushed the button ; but in-between, it's nothing but a loss of time.

When playing pinball, you want precision. Maybe more precision that you would want in many other kind of games : try to play it with your xbox connected to a Philips with Natural Motion, and you'll understand what I mean when your flipper is triggered like 1 second after you pushed the button, it's just impossible to play pinball on such a TV. So you want the flippers to trigger exactly at the very instant your finger moves, and this is just not possible with triggers because here triggers are used for a purpose they shouldn't be used to : single, normal press ; normal press is the job of a normal button, that's all.

In the countrary, a trigger would be the perfect thing to control the plunger.
    This post has many inaccuracies. Many real world pinball machines have "progressive" actions. They are called two-stage flipper buttons where a light touch activates just the lower flipper and a hard button press activates both upper and lower flippers. This feature is very useful during multiball where an upper flipper is blocking a lane you need to hit. Zen replicates this two-stage flipper action with the l1/r1 or l2/r2 buttons, both of which have analog actions. You can actually adjust the sensitivity of the buttons in the operator's menu.

Input lag is a completely separate issue. I am not sure what Philips Natural Motion is, but different settings/filters on you TV can increase input lag. Put your tv into game mode (if it has one) if you have issues with input lag.