Thread: 3ds xl

Default 3ds xl

Even I thought I was a little insane for upgrading an entire system just for two $8 games from the eShop, but, wow, was I ever vindicated by the results. You guys should see the tables on the XL screen. It is such an incredible difference. Every camera angle is now useable, you can read almost all of the stuff written on the tables, and the 3D effect is much more pronounced. It just looks fantastic.

Thanks for the update! I would be one to upgrade just for zen and marvel as well but new baby no money and I rather get the wii u if I could. I'll get it down the road say in a year or two. By then they may have another new version out. Who knows. This is Nintendo after all!!

hows the "sweet spot" for the 3d effect, ive heard that its harder to get and hold at the right angle for clarity than the old 3ds.
    btw how much did it cost with the old 3ds swap?, did they let you transfer info at the store?

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreRaven View Post
    hows the "sweet spot" for the 3d effect, ive heard that its harder to get and hold at the right angle for clarity than the old 3ds.
    btw how much did it cost with the old 3ds swap?, did they let you transfer info at the store?
    It's actually not bad! I haven't had any problems with it, it looks great to me! I think at Gamestop they were willing to do a $50 credit for the old 3DS, which I think is not really worth doing, but, to each his own. I haven't heard of any stores doing the transfer, but I guess I never asked

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    It's actually not bad! I haven't had any problems with it, it looks great to me! I think at Gamestop they were willing to do a $50 credit for the old 3DS, which I think is not really worth doing, but, to each his own. I haven't heard of any stores doing the transfer, but I guess I never asked
    Really!? I got an ad from them giving I believe 100$ off for a trade in till sometime in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech101 View Post
    Really!? I got an ad from them giving I believe 100$ off for a trade in till sometime in September.
    Weird! Do you have to have the ad with you to get the $100 on trade in? Maybe the person I asked misunderstood, lol

Well it was a email ad. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a pro member or not.

Well it was a email ad. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a pro member or not.
    well that is strange, i too am a pro member at gamestop and i got no email like that , oh well.

overall, the stretched images on the 3DS XL look amazing, they did a good job making sure the games did not look like doody.
    Last edited by BarbieBobomb; 08-23-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: POTTYMOUTH

Weird! Do you have to have the ad with you to get the $100 on trade in? Maybe the person I asked misunderstood, lol
    Here's an image of the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Here's an image of the ad.
    WHAT. a free copy of Pilotwings Resort or Steel Diver?!? why the hell did i not know about this before , i wonder if i can go back to the store and get a copy now, 4 days after i bought the 3DS XL...

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/nintendo-3ds
    only has Steel Diver though
    Last edited by seaking177; 08-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seaking177 View Post
    well that is strange, i too am a pro member at gamestop and i got no email like that , oh well.

overall, the stretched images on the 3DS XL look amazing, they did a good job making sure the games did not look like doody.
    If you swear, I'm just going to change it to a silly word for ya Watch the language!

Barbie and others,

I'm almost ashamed to say that I did the same. I too traded my old 3DS in for a new 3DSXL model for the $100 credit. Let me tell you that the difference is phenomenal. I love it. Oh and I'm also a Pro member at Gamestop as well and I also got the email ad. That new Super Mario Bros 2 is nice as well on that screen. Sorry for the off topic last sentence.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

If you swear, I'm just going to change it to a silly word for ya Watch the language!
    I have him on Nintendo Letter Box (Swapnote)... I wish you could edit posts on there :/

Anyway, Marvel and Zen Pinball look brilliant on the XL, so easy to see whats going on! It can't fix the Iron Man table though. That's still terrible O.o

The sweet spot on the 3D is definitely narrower, but it's not noticeable on the pinball. Or any of the things I play on my US-3DS. I suspect it's going to be an issue when I upgrade the J-3DS to XL for Monster Hunter, though. Probably you'd notice it on Kid Icarus too, if you played without the kickstand. I can't think of any other 3DS games that are hardcore action-y enough to make you wrench the unit around while playing.

According to my friend who manages a Gamestop, they received an email explaining that if people bought the XL, went and home and did the system transfer, then brought their old 3DS and receipt back to the store, they'd be able to do a return and get the $100 trade-in credit for a refund. But I've read a lot of varying stories on that this week. Some people got really nice employees who let them take both systems home, or next door to a coffee shop, and then return one, others had to fight with the manager until Gamestop policy was honored. (If your phone will be a hotspot, you can sidestep the whole conflict.) I didn't bother with the system transfer, personally. I figured the 3DS pinballs need more love and support than the Vita/iOS/Droid versions, so I just bought new copies. Be sure and grab your memory card before handing them your 3DS. That's not considered part of the system by Gamestop, as you'll learn the hard way if you ever buy a used 3DS from them.

Yes, you can take your receipt back and get your free game if you didn't get it with your system. I did. If they say they need the "promo code", it's not true, the register will automatically make Pilotwings or Steel Diver free when they ring it up with an XL sale.

Remember, the Gamestop feedback system goes to the regional manager. So even if the person you're dealing with doesn't want to maintain Gamestop policy, it's easy to remind them that their boss, who you can communicate with directly, will not back them up on that. I've had to convince a ton of Gamestop employees to do the right thing over the years, and I've never failed to persuade anyone yet. Just stand your ground if they try to shark you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    Barbie and others,

I'm almost ashamed to say that I did the same. I too traded my old 3DS in for a new 3DSXL model for the $100 credit. Let me tell you that the difference is phenomenal. I love it. Oh and I'm also a Pro member at Gamestop as well and I also got the email ad. That new Super Mario Bros 2 is nice as well on that screen. Sorry for the off topic last sentence.
    I don't blame you! For $100 that's really not bad. But then again I got my 3DS late in the game when they dropped the price to $160

Barbie, you've having played both on the XL and on the Vita with Zen 2. Without giving a company "Thery're both so good..." answer (not that you would,) if you had to, I'm curious which one you'd more highly reccomend? I'm considering getting the XL pretty much just for the Zen games since that's all I use it for, though I did buy a Vita in May before Zen 2 got pushed back just for Zen 2, and with that coming out in about 2 weeks I wonder how much time I'd spend on a system with only 8 tables when I'd have one with around 30(?), even though I prefer playing in 3D. I know it's a to each their own deal, just curious to hear where the only person I know of who has played both weighs in.
    I appologize for any grammar issues. I hate typing on a phone.

Hey Hunter. I sent you a pm. I figure you will be looking in here for a response.

Sorry for the off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter328 View Post
    Barbie, you've having played both on the XL and on the Vita with Zen 2. Without giving a company "Thery're both so good..." answer (not that you would,) if you had to, I'm curious which one you'd more highly reccomend? I'm considering getting the XL pretty much just for the Zen games since that's all I use it for, though I did buy a Vita in May before Zen 2 got pushed back just for Zen 2, and with that coming out in about 2 weeks I wonder how much time I'd spend on a system with only 8 tables when I'd have one with around 30(?), even though I prefer playing in 3D. I know it's a to each their own deal, just curious to hear where the only person I know of who has played both weighs in.
    I appologize for any grammar issues. I hate typing on a phone.
    I love the 3DS, but I have to say, the Vita's graphics are just... gorgeous. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Vita. I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan, and the 3DS XL has a lot to offer, but the Vita has so many more features, and when ZP2 comes out, you'll have access to 26 tables.

I love the 3DS, but I have to say, the Vita's graphics are just... gorgeous. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Vita. I'm a HUGE Nintendo fan, and the 3DS XL has a lot to offer, but the Vita has so many more features, and when ZP2 comes out, you'll have access to 26 tables.
    Well I just dropped $650 on the new iPad with a retina display a couple of months ago so I won't be buying a Vita. But I heard the graphics should look decent on the new iPad as well. We would like more features and access to 26 tables too, please.

Banned

In terms of visual we all know Vita's got it no-brainer. As for 3DS games are really established and a pretty stable online store that's yet to be even more fully fledged by the time Wii U comes around.

Both devices are unique, but I prefer my Nexus 7

GO GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the Fire 2 or Ipad Mini Hmmm
    Last edited by LumaFan"); 08-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

i have both a 3DS XL and a vita here to compare, and coming from the 3DS i'm really missing something when playing zen pinball on the vita.
    although colors are more natural on the vita and it has some more details, the 3D on the 3DS XL gives a much better overview.

people keep saying the vita will always beat the 3DS in graphics, but what 3D can offer to a game makes it really impossible to compare the 2.
    indeed considering the specs the vita version of the eldorado table should look better, but to me the 3DS version looks just a bit more realistic simply because i can actually see the lanes hover above the table.

I totally agree. I like both systems but to me 3D adds more graphically than higher resolution etc. I'm loving Zen 2 on Vita but would love it even more in 3D. Vita's horsepower though does seem to make for smoother running tables, and allows for better ports, ie four balls in Vortex on Iron Man which plays much better as a whole.

Oh and Tech, you've beaten it since but I set my Iron Man score by getting 10x multiplier at least once, getting a big EoB bonus and an extra ball.

I disagree. The Vita, graphically, is superior. Hands down. I own both the 3DSXL and Vita and I've done side by sides of the Iron Man table and Capt. America. Naturally the Vita is going to win on the graphics side because its a better hardware system that's capable of that. However, the Vita doesn't have 3D and I absolutely LOVE the 3D feature on the 3DS. You can't beat that. At the end of the day, it's all about preference. I enjoy it on both and I actually hope that the 3DS gets some tables not only from the PS3 side, but the 360 side as well. It's only fair.

Note this is just my opinion, just like its everyone else's that spoke on this. Not trying to start a war, as I love Nintendo and think the WiiU version of ZP or PBFX will do wonders on that system. I just have to state what I thought was right in my eyes. Enjoy pinball folks.
    Last edited by Rafie; 09-07-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    I disagree. The Vita, graphically, is superior. Hands down. I own both the 3DSXL and Vita and I've done side by sides of the Iron Man table and Capt. America. Naturally the Vita is going to win on the graphics side because its a better hardware system that's capable of that. However, the Vita doesn't have 3D and I absolutely LOVE the 3D feature on the 3DS. You can't beat that. At the end of the day, it's all about preference. I enjoy it on both and I actually hope that the 3DS gets some tables not only from the PS3 side, but the 360 side as well. It's only fair.

Note this is just my opinion, just like its everyone else's that spoke on this. Not trying to start a war, as I love Nintendo and think the WiiU version of ZP or PBFX will do wonders on that system. I just have to state what I thought was right in my eyes. Enjoy pinball folks.

You didn't say one thing that would cause a flame war. Its all good here! When I played my one free table on my iPhone it looked absolutely amazing. Matter of fact it made the 3ds look bad almost in comparison. However like everyone is saying there is just something about the 3d that sets it apart from any other system. I would want anyone to try Zen or marvel on the 3ds just to see for themselves. I'm starting to get the XL itch now and it would be mainly for Zen and marvel alone since its what I play about 75% of the day. Its getting harder and harder to resist!

You didn't say one thing that would cause a flame war. Its all good here! When I played my one free table on my iPhone it looked absolutely amazing. Matter of fact it made the 3ds look bad almost in comparison. However like everyone is saying there is just something about the 3d that sets it apart from any other system. I would want anyone to try Zen or marvel on the 3ds just to see for themselves. I'm starting to get the XL itch now and it would be mainly for Zen and marvel alone since its what I play about 75% of the day. Its getting harder and harder to resist!
    Tech, I STRONGLY suggest you get the XL. It's not like your game needs to be any more brilliant. Still, that bigger screen to take full advantage of the 3D effect is unbeatable. I absolutely adore it. The IPhone/IPad graphics always seem to be better than the consoles, doesn't it?! I notice that on The Pinball Arcade platform too.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

So I went ahead and did it! The boards are so big now it looks so much better to see more clearly. I do think the Iron Man table took a little hit as far as yes its bigger but looks more dull. Maybe its just all the red that does that or I just hate it that much LOL! Thanks for all the tips and posting by everyone to help me make this no brain choice. Got the 100$ from GameStop for the trade in. My old 3ds had some scratches anyways so this is much better!

Default Now what?

So I just got a 3DS XL. What versions of ZEN are available for it, and do I have to buy them if I already own ZP1, Marvel, ZP2(PvZ) ? Can I DL the games or are they in store? I never owned a hand held before now.
    Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    So I just got a 3DS XL. What versions of ZEN are available for it, and do I have to buy them if I already own ZP1, Marvel, ZP2(PvZ) ? Can I DL the games or are they in store? I never owned a hand held before now.

Yes you have to buy them unfortunately. Nintendo is totally separate from what you already have. Hook up your system to wifi and go to the eshop. Its the icon that looks like a little orange shopping bag. Once there just search for Zen for Zen pinball and marvel for marvel pinball. You will need a credit card or an eshop card from your local gaming store. Make sure its an eshop only card thought and not a dsi or Wii points card. Download and let us know what you think!
    Last edited by Tech101; 10-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.

thanks for the reply. going to go google which tables are available

No need to google, since no DLC has been released yet. All they have is the main program with four tables each.

Zen Pinball 3D: Shaman, El Dorado, Excalibur, and Earth Defense

Marvel Pinball 3D: Iron Man, Blade, Captain America, and Fantastic Four
    Last edited by shogun00; 10-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.

For Marvel Pinball 3D its Iron Man, Blade, Fantastic Four and Captain America.

For Zen Pinball 3D it's Excalibur, El Dorado, Shaman and Earth Defense.

How much $$ ?

Depends on your country. I believe Zen is 7.99 and mavel 6.99 NA. Either way one eshop card will cover it. As for dlc only one person knows when its coming but she ain't talking! :-P. Soon though!

Banned

How much $$ ?
    I'd say the price for DLC would be the $2.99 like console versions. But just a guess!

Also congrats on getting a 3DS XL! Add me! LOL

3DS eShop:Buy prepaid cards or use credit card to buy things. Nintendo is expected to make unified user accounts soon though!

Once Wii U comes out!

I find it odd that you're only asking these questions after you bought the console. They're not bad questions, it's just they're the kind of thing I'd look into before buying an expensive device.
    http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/FreudianLemur/Youwanttoholdapigehsmall.jpg