Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *ZEN PINBALL 2 Impressions Thread*

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Tberg is talking about the manual launch, which is stuck on one of the two analog sticks. You can't remap it to any of the face buttons.
    Right on. I've tried getting used to the stick, but I still accidently press the X-button
    And, I find it a bit frustrating to release the stick as quick as the button, so I would like to have the choice of remap here.

Thx

Thanks for your input everyone! We tried to incorporate as much of your feedback as we could when we created Zen Pinball 2. Your suggestions have made it what it is now! Keep requesting!

Red face Zp2

And thanks to the Zen team for such an awesome ZP2.

You guys made me fall in love with the original core pack (Zen Pinball) all over again, I'm playing these more than the Marvel stuff.
    Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Bonus View Post
    You guys made me fall in love with the original core pack (Zen Pinball) all over again, I'm playing these more than the Marvel stuff.

Indeed. El Dorado, Shaman, And TESLA play so much better now. Great Job. All the other pre-marvel tables like Earth Defens, Excalibur are just as fun. I'm even enjoying SF2 which I have never played until ZP2.

Quote Originally Posted by tenorhero View Post
    Indeed. El Dorado, Shaman, And TESLA play so much better now. Great Job. All the other pre-marvel tables like Earth Defens, Excalibur are just as fun. I'm even enjoying SF2 which I have never played until ZP2.
    I agree, SF2 is actually quite fun now, never really cared for it either. I like how the table is kindda small and the ball is bigger/closer, and in 3D on my LG 47" with the new sharp graphics it looks freaking awesome! Hadouken!

Regarding 3D, never been a fan, and ZP2 did hurt my eyes the first couple of tries in 3D, but after half an hour (with breaks!) my eyes got used to the 3D and the pain was gone! Now, I can almost NOT play in 3D as I miss the depth and visibility already!
    I have LG's Cinema 3D and can HIGHLY recommend it, give it a try whenever possible. Guess Barbie wasn't joking with the 3D awesomeness in this game

Which reminds me!!
    @Barbie: I have a dual-play TV, but ZP2 doesn't support the view, since it stretches the splitcreen views. Could you possibly make a dual-play fit-to-screen option? In same res as in singleplayer of cause.
    For those needing to know, a dual-play TV displays both views in a splitcreen game on the entire screen at the same time, which look The players then wear two different pair of 3d-glasses, marked A and B, and this filters the views so each player only see his or her own screen.
    Last edited by Tberg; 09-12-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Just beat Skadi, Thanos, and Loki(Thor table) one after another tonight, it was great. Just thought I'd share lmao.

the views have been changed why ? you removed some why not have kept them in , for now im playing on view 4 because i don't like the flippers to disappear but i want em close , i use to play on view 3 on zp1 and mp why was that removed completly ? for the future views you could add one that doesn't move like 1 but more tilted from back to front but not like 6 , i don't have a 50" inch tv yet...
    i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    Just beat Skadi, Thanos, and Loki(Thor table) one after another tonight, it was great. Just thought I'd share lmao.
    Whoa! Congrats bro! That's HUGE! To beat those wizard modes on hard tables like that is a great feat! I'm falling behind! LOL
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

That's sounds pretty close to my game (I already have 100% trophies), except for me it was one each day. I beat Skadi on the 10th, Loki on the 11th and Thanos on the 12th.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

That's sounds pretty close to my game (I already have 100% trophies), except for me it was one each day. I beat Skadi on the 10th, Loki on the 11th and Thanos on the 12th.
    Congratz both of you, I remember Loki driving me insane on PFX2.. but in the end he was defeated. PFX2 - 89/89 Achievements im good 2 lol.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

Did something similar this past week. Got a bunch of tables trophy awards with Captain America, PvZ, Fear Itself, Avengers, WWH, and since the PSN ZP2 league started I got X-MEN letters. Fired up Iron Man for a practice run for next weeks table today and got both trophies for Iron Man but failed to beat Ultimo. Forgot how tough he was to beat. I think that trophy for Marvel Pinball before ZP2 would have been tough to do all over again. So thank Zen that they didn't include Ultimo as the 2nd trophy.

Personally I thought the Blitzkrieg USA trophy is just as hard as beating Skadi and all the Worthy in Fear Itself.

In the light of all this, It's safe to say I will be able to get all the trophies for each of the tables at some point. I will take it slow though and try to experience all the tables as much as I can. As much as I hate V12 I will still have to get that 2nd trophy.

Default Impressions

So far I have to call ZP2 a success. I only found ZP2 after deciding to try ZP1 again last weekend and seeing that a new version was available. The overall sensitivity and responsiveness of the controls as well as the behavior of the ball makes it "feel" similar to the pins I used to play in the arcade, but with a noticeably cleaner and smoother user experience. I never played the Marvel tables prior to this version, so I started with the Mars table (my favorite on ZP1). It seemed like I had a slightly easier time controlling the ball than I remember even though what I felt like used to be the sweet spot for specific shots was eluding me during my first few games. I played through the rest of the tables one by one, and although I'm not capable of completing more than one or two missions at most on any given table, I was able to maintain a pretty good rhythm once I started to be able to hit ramps with some consistency.

The only criticism I have is that I don't really love any of the views. I find it very difficult to play using any of the views that move around (even the mini games and view change during ball launch are distracting to a lesser degree), and for fixed views the choices are pretty limited. There was a fixed view in ZP1 that I liked better which seemed like it was at a different angle than the ones here, but I don't recall which number it was. One suggestion for the launch problem would be to use some sort of floating picture-in-picture view of the plunger mechanism on the right side of the screen during ball launch without moving the view around.

One other thing I'd like to add since I'm playing the Marvel tables for the first time is how impressed I am with the creativity in design. In particular the Infinity Gauntlet table really seems to push the envelope of what a soft pin is capable of by incorporating gameplay elements that would never be possible in a mechanical pin but still seem to flow smoothly within the context of the game. I made an account on this forum mostly to compliment the team that put it all together both in the original ZP and this one. As an aging pinhead looking for something fun and interesting to play, I'm happy to see that people are innovating successfully in this space while maintaining the nuanced mechanical aspects of gameplay that have always attracted me to pinball.

Quote Originally Posted by oilyeye View Post
    So far I have to call ZP2 a success. I only found ZP2 after deciding to try ZP1 again last weekend and seeing that a new version was available. The overall sensitivity and responsiveness of the controls as well as the behavior of the ball makes it "feel" similar to the pins I used to play in the arcade, but with a noticeably cleaner and smoother user experience. I never played the Marvel tables prior to this version, so I started with the Mars table (my favorite on ZP1). It seemed like I had a slightly easier time controlling the ball than I remember even though what I felt like used to be the sweet spot for specific shots was eluding me during my first few games. I played through the rest of the tables one by one, and although I'm not capable of completing more than one or two missions at most on any given table, I was able to maintain a pretty good rhythm once I started to be able to hit ramps with some consistency.

The only criticism I have is that I don't really love any of the views. I find it very difficult to play using any of the views that move around (even the mini games and view change during ball launch are distracting to a lesser degree), and for fixed views the choices are pretty limited. There was a fixed view in ZP1 that I liked better which seemed like it was at a different angle than the ones here, but I don't recall which number it was. One suggestion for the launch problem would be to use some sort of floating picture-in-picture view of the plunger mechanism on the right side of the screen during ball launch without moving the view around.

One other thing I'd like to add since I'm playing the Marvel tables for the first time is how impressed I am with the creativity in design. In particular the Infinity Gauntlet table really seems to push the envelope of what a soft pin is capable of by incorporating gameplay elements that would never be possible in a mechanical pin but still seem to flow smoothly within the context of the game. I made an account on this forum mostly to compliment the team that put it all together both in the original ZP and this one. As an aging pinhead looking for something fun and interesting to play, I'm happy to see that people are innovating successfully in this space while maintaining the nuanced mechanical aspects of gameplay that have always attracted me to pinball.

Great insight and welcome to the forums. I think you pretty much captured my initial thoughts of ZP2 and how much more I like ZP2 over Pinball Arcade. Zen is cleaner, sharper and more easy to play. Could use more bounce as the balls seem to have too much weight. I just think it should be a little more hard to control than it actually is and pinball purists might levitate a little more to Zen pinball.

Love the design and originality of the missions they designed. All the tables have their own style and difficulty level and that's a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by tenorhero View Post
    Fired up Iron Man for a practice run for next weeks table today and got both trophies for Iron Man but failed to beat Ultimo. Forgot how tough he was to beat. I think that trophy for Marvel Pinball before ZP2 would have been tough to do all over again. So thank Zen that they didn't include Ultimo as the 2nd trophy.
    Funny thing! I played Iron Man on day 2 (9/5) got both of the trophies and I actually defeated Ultimo on my first try. I was really surprised to say the least, since I could only beat him once (third attempt and never again after that) on Marvel Pinball. Same thing happened to me on both Mars and World War Hulk. I got the two trophies and defeated the wizard mode in my first game. Both games required me to beat the wizard mode to get a trophy in the previous versions.

Thumbs up Zp2

Got ZP2 today everyone,

Downloaded - ZP Classics Pack, Ninja Gaiden, Mars & Paranormal.... eventually hope to get em all since on PFX2 I got all 30+

The ZP2 Platform is defo a step up and for me is far more sleeker than PFX2, the BGM that plays is exquisite. As for the Tables I can defo see the improved Graphics, Physics and Dot - Matrix... dare I say it beats PFX2. Overall im very happy that I can now set my PS3 to more use, im still a PFX2 player but that stems from my hatred of the dreaded PS3 Pad Triggers.

So whats the genral consensus of what to map the Flippers to?

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Quote Originally Posted by ShoryukenToTheChin View Post
    Got ZP2 today everyone,

Downloaded - ZP Classics Pack, Ninja Gaiden, Mars & Paranormal.... eventually hope to get em all since on PFX2 I got all 30+

The ZP2 Platform is defo a step up and for me is far more sleeker than PFX2, the BGM that plays is exquisite. As for the Tables I can defo see the improved Graphics, Physics and Dot - Matrix... dare I say it beats PFX2. Overall im very happy that I can now set my PS3 to more use, im still a PFX2 player but that stems from my hatred of the dreaded PS3 Pad Triggers.

So whats the genral consensus of what to map the Flippers to?
    R1 and L1 for me!

Overall im very happy that I can now set my PS3 to more use, im still a PFX2 player but that stems from my hatred of the dreaded PS3 Pad Triggers.
    The easiest solution is to buy this 3rd party controller. It's for the PS3, but uses the Xbox 360's design.

It should be available in Europe as well. The only downside is that it doesn't have motion control (SixAxis) support.

R1 and L1 for me!
    Same here. The only thing I really use the triggers (R2/L2) for are racing games. And they work fine for that though I would prefer to use a gaming racing wheel, pedals, and gearbox but don't have the time or room for that kind of setup. Though I guess it is strange to get used to something you are unfamiliar with. I hate the xbox controller because I have always used the ps controller.

By the way, I just started getting into Blade. It's fun except that center/right orbit loves the center drain.
    Last edited by surf1der; 09-19-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    Same here. The only thing I really use the triggers (R2/L2) for are racing games. And they work fine for that though I would prefer to use a gaming racing wheel, pedals, and gearbox but don't have the time or room for that kind of setup. Though I guess it is strange to get used to something you are unfamiliar with. I hate the xbox controller because I have always used the ps controller.

By the way, I just started getting into Blade. It's fun except that center/right orbit loves the center drain.
    Gotta lift that upper flipper before it passes

LOL I learned the hard way. Then after a while I started getting hip to the flow of the ball. Hehe
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Yeah, I eventually figured that out. Though I run into problems when I accidentally hit the orbit when going for the right ramp or when I hit a really hard shot. Both of these situations tend to surprise me and I react to late. Also, what defense do you have when hit that right orbit at just the right speed? It goes straight down the middle and all you have left is a nudge and a prayer. I would try to avoid this orbit altogether if it weren't for the fact that you need to hit it for kickbacks. Luckily, it seems to light both at the same time.

On a different note, I just played Iron Man for the tourney and threw up 150M. Got to Ultimo three times and failed three times. What the hell is his deal? Any dude who grabs your balls and tries to throw them is not cool in my book.

Yeah, I eventually figured that out. Though I run into problems when I accidentally hit the orbit when going for the right ramp or when I hit a really hard shot. Both of these situations tend to surprise me and I react to late. Also, what defense do you have when hit that right orbit at just the right speed? It goes straight down the middle and all you have left is a nudge and a prayer. I would try to avoid this orbit altogether if it weren't for the fact that you need to hit it for kickbacks. Luckily, it seems to light both at the same time.

On a different note, I just played Iron Man for the tourney and threw up 150M. Got to Ultimo three times and failed three times. What the hell is his deal? Any dude who grabs your balls and tries to throw them is not cool in my book.
    Yeah, not much you can do once you miss your chance on the upper flipper lol BTW nice Iron Man score! I wasn't sure if it started yet or not!

R1 and L1 for me!
    Ah, yeh I got the Flippers mapped to L1 + R1 + L2 + R2, Nugde to the Dpad.

BTW whats your PSN? PM me it m8 would like to add some of you guys.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Ah, yeh I got the Flippers mapped to L1 + R1 + L2 + R2, Nugde to the Dpad.

BTW whats your PSN? PM me it m8 would like to add some of you guys.
    Same name as on here

Manual launching can be done with the right analog stick. Auto-launch is done with the x button.
    Thanks, I'll try it. By the way it is not totally auto launch as there is some sensitivity on the pressure you apply to the X button on some of the tables. Street Fighter and Earth Defense aside as always.

i would of like the scoreboard to have remained the same , now if you make millions or billions it only shows for example 291m , instead of 291,453,874 , i would rather see the whole score , another why did you tweak that too ?
    i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

Banned

Hey Pinball friends! I was thinking about getting some more tables since I only have PvZ,Sorcerer's Lair,and Tesla. LOL!
    I know I know I should have been investing more on tables Anyway do you guys have any recommended tables?

Is V12 any good? Thanks in advance, if anyone has any recommendations for me! Any ideas will be much appreciated!
    Last edited by LumaFan"); 09-22-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LumaFan") View Post
    Hey Pinball friends! I was thinking about getting some more tables since I only have PvZ,Sorcerer's Lair,and Tesla. LOL!
    I know I know I should have been investing more on tables Anyway do you guys have any recommended tables?

Is V12 any good? Thanks in advance, if anyone has any recommendations for me! Any ideas will be much appreciated!
    If you have the option to demo all the demos I would recommend you do so. Are you on a different platform? Tesla is part of the core table in Zen pinball 1. Anyway I love the avenger's Chronicles pack. Fear Itself being my favorite table. MARS is a great table IMO. Thor, Moonlight, X-men, Excalibur. Heck all of them are good IMO.

I love tables that require accurate shots. MARS, Iron Man, Fear Itself, Excalibur, Earth Defense, seem to fit in that category. Iron Man seem to be disliked by many but I love it. It's a low scoring table and you really have to work for the scores.

V12? I don't like that table. Can't really explain it. Probably will never play it again even to beat my friends scores. It's my least favorite table next to Ghost Rider.

If you have Tesla, then you already have V12 too. Paranormal and SF2 are my favourites ones. The Avengers pack is great too.

If you wan't a table with simple layout, buy MARS. If you wan't a very complex one, buy Ninja Gaiden.

I'd suggest you to buy all Zen tables one by one. They are all great!
    PINBALL4EVER!!!!

Banned

Thanks guys for the great table suggestions! I will at least get one of those you mentioned! Yeah I just put Tesla on here cause I was too lazy to write out all the tables in the pack LOL!

Just Keepin it short!!!! Sorry if I totally goofed some of you!!!!!

Thanks guys for the great table suggestions! I will at least get one of those you mentioned! Yeah I just put Tesla on here cause I was too lazy to write out all the tables in the pack LOL!

Just Keepin it short!!!! Sorry if I totally goofed some of you!!!!!
    All you had to say was the "Zen Classic Pack" and we would have known which tables you had.

I personally recommend going after all of the tables, especially the Marvel Classic Pack. I know that you have played Blade and Iron Man on the 3DS, but these tables look stunning on ZP2. Blade had one heck of a graphics overhaul. The night mode has some very wicked light reflections now.

Banned

All you had to say was the "Zen Classic Pack" and we would have known which tables you had.
    wicked light reflections now.
    I guess?
    Last edited by LumaFan"); 09-22-2012 at 07:14 PM.

I can only speak for the tables that I own, but here's my two cents. If you love PvZ and Sorcerer's Lair, you'll probably love Epic Quest too. It's got the same balance of fun to difficulty as those two tables. Paranormal is a harder (easier to drain balls) but the layout is great and sports some really fun flippers and missions. At first glance, MARS seems a bit barren compared to most tables, but the openness makes for a refreshing change from some of the busier layouts. I find it pretty and love the holographic effects on the table. You can keep the ball in play fairly easily but will need precision to complete missions and rack up scores.

The original Marvel pack is also really good. Spidey is fun and highscoring. Blade is addictive with a store and night to day table shifts. Iron Man is the lowest scoring table of the ones I own, but I find the challenge compelling and enjoyable. Wolverine is the table that I play least. Evenso, it's a fun table. Enjoyed touches like the spinning roulette wheel under Sabertooth and the collapsible wireframe.

Manual launching can be done with the right analog stick. Auto-launch is done with the x button.
    Got it thanks. I always just use to use the X button with the pressure sensitive release, but the right stick works better.

Banned

Does anyone here have a table thats like your 'go to" table? I always seem to find myself playing Sorcerers Lair!

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVS!

Does anyone here have a table thats like your 'go to" table? I always seem to find myself playing Sorcerers Lair!
    Yep! For me it's Blade.

My new go-to is Mars... Done with PvZ, I think, after beating Zomboss.

Mars is fun - love the mission design, the ability to cycle rollover lights with flippers, the various shots. Anyone have any tips for big scores? Or do i just beat missions over and over?

Still learning the safe shots (seems there are a lot of unsafe shots on this table) and trying not to make dumb moves (blasting the ball towards the left outlane with the upper right flipper comes to mind...argh)... My games are lasting awhile but I've only gone approximately halfway through the mission progression in any one game.
    Last edited by haha_dead; 10-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Happy on the whole. I like the set up, speed (loading), physics etc. My biggest gripe is the lack of pressure sensitive 'X' button launch and the nudge only working with an upward flick of the stick. I am really used to a downward flick and I have also noticed a distinct lack of activation of the nudge on more than one occasion.

Please, please bring back these features and I will be eternally grateful.

Ps? Where is the FFour table?

Agreed...the tables look fantastic and the physics on the older tables are tops. I really miss the x button launch and the inability to map the nudge to the right stick...its so second nature, now I have a brainfart everytime the ball drains trying to remember whet to hit. Small gripes, really, but the options would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollwart View Post
    Agreed...the tables look fantastic and the physics on the older tables are tops. I really miss the x button launch and the inability to map the nudge to the right stick...its so second nature, now I have a brainfart everytime the ball drains trying to remember whet to hit. Small gripes, really, but the options would be nice.
    I have nudging mapped to the right stick. I think manual ball launch is defaulted to the right stick. I swapped it to the left analog stick and then mapped nudging to the right stick. Just go to the settings and swap the analog sticks.

I have nudging mapped to the right stick. I think manual ball launch is defaulted to the right stick. I swapped it to the left analog stick and then mapped nudging to the right stick. Just go to the settings and swap the analog sticks.
    Holy crap...thanks! I'll try it when I get home...

I think you have to remap either nudge or manual launch to another button before you can actually "swap"; since you need a free button.

So, if it's not working just mess around. It's definitely possible to get nudge on the right stick and manual launch on the left.

Nice, got it after some playing around. Thanks again.

I got both L1 L2 & R1 R2 mapped to Flippers, Dpad is Nudge and Left Stick for manual launch.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

I got both L1 L2 & R1 R2 mapped to Flippers, Dpad is Nudge and Left Stick for manual launch.
    Personally I got L! R1 for flippers and right analog stick for plunging and left analog stick for nudging. I think I changed the nudge to analog because of Pinball arcade.

I started switching between using l1/r1 and l2/r2. If i struggle with a particular shot i switch it up and sometimes have better luck with my timing. Also i like the right analog stick for nudging.

@Shory: i switched from d-pad to the right analog stick for nudging with ZP2. You might want to try it. I think i have had better luck with bang backs because i can use a northwest or northeast movement on the analog stick rather than a simple upward nudge. Having a little extra lateral momentum seems to help, particularly if you hit the upraised flipper if your timing is a little early.

I started switching between using l1/r1 and l2/r2. If i struggle with a particular shot i switch it up and sometimes have better luck with my timing. Also i like the right analog stick for nudging.

@Shory: i switched from d-pad to the right analog stick for nudging with ZP2. You might want to try it. I think i have had better luck with bang backs because i can use a northwest or northeast movement on the analog stick rather than a simple upward nudge. Having a little extra lateral momentum seems to help, particularly if you hit the upraised flipper if your timing is a little early.
    Hmm true but since I had Nudge mapped to the Left Stick on the 360 Pad and then the PS3 Dpad is located in the same area.. I found it easier, I do Bang Backs ok like that as I press the UP at an angle.

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12