Thread: Pinball cabinet support ?

Default Pinball cabinet support ?

I have a VirtualPinball cabinet (like a Mame cabinet but for pinball), I was wondering if and when you release it for the "PC" if your software will be able to support such a device?

Be able to switch to a vertical display, select the screen for the artwork, select the screen for the DMD and change what will trigger the flippers.
    pinball.jpg

Default It sort of works

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegster View Post
    I have a VirtualPinball cabinet (like a Mame cabinet but for pinball), I was wondering if and when you release it for the "PC" if your software will be able to support such a device?

Be able to switch to a vertical display, select the screen for the artwork, select the screen for the DMD and change what will trigger the flippers.
    pinball.jpg
    I've been playing with it on my pinball mame cabinet I built using the Pinwizard controller. I'm using Windows 8 RTM. It works, but just on the one monitor. You have to set Windows 8 to portrait mode on your primary monitor. The game fills out the screen very nicely.

Multi-monitor is not supported unfortunately, so you can't move the "DMD" to another monitor. I tried using a program called Ultramon to mirror the section the virtual DMD is on to my DMD monitor and it looks ok but it impacts the performance of the game. I'll keep fooling around with it.

From a control perspectie Pinball FX2 supports keyboard or XBOX USB controller. I can't seem to get the PinWizard controller to be recognized by Pinball FX2, and the customization options out of Pinball FX2 is pretty limited. For now I'm mapping keys to the joystick buttons using joycur for game menu and in game control. Works well.

I'll fool with it a bit more. I wish that the virtual DMD placement options in Pinball FX2 was more configurable. I wish I could push it to the top or bottom edge of the screen so it's not obscuring the playfield. I set the DMD to large.

So far so good.

Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegster View Post
    Hey! Welcome to the forum! We're working on a PC version now, I'm not sure what the features will be but I will be sure to let you all know as we get closer to launch!

Hey Franco, would you have anyway to post a video or screenshot of of your setup runing the game, i guess you're one of the first to try PBFX on a cabinet !

Quote Originally Posted by X DrLobo View Post
    Hey Franco, would you have anyway to post a video or screenshot of of your setup runing the game, i guess you're one of the first to try PBFX on a cabinet !
    Sorry I didn't post sooner. Something is up with my original ID and I can't log in or reset it. I created a new ID while I'm waiting for the admins to respond to my help request.

Anyway, SkyDrive link has a couple of pics and a video of me playing a couple of games.
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...ElVGFNAPYKEA4g

Game works well on the cabinet. Again I can't utilize the extra backbox monitors, only one monitor works with the game. I wish I could move the virtual DMD display to one of the lower backbox monitor, and I wish there was a little more customization of the controls.
    Let me know if you would like to see something specific.
    Franco

PS: Just realize there is some background noise in the video that people may think is coming from PinballFX2. That's an Assault arcade game that is a couple games to the right of the pinmame cabinet. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by francojc; 10-02-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Hey! Welcome to the forum! We're working on a PC version now, I'm not sure what the features will be but I will be sure to let you all know as we get closer to launch!
    One tiny thing that would be nice for playing on a cabinet would be if you could navigate the menu system for selecting tables with the same keys you use for flippers. Meaning: Press right flipper, selection on the menu moves right -- if no more selections to the right, wrap around and move down a row. Left being left & up. We already (most of us) use enter and escape on default cabinet buttons, but don't normally map the arrow keys.

Sure, there are a lot of other details cabinet owners would like to have too, but this one detail should be a pretty easy tweak and would help out quite a bit.

In general, though, PFX2 already looks and plays really nice in a v-pin!

I'm looking to get a virtual pinball cabinet at some point (probably a VirtuaPin, since I don't have the tools/space/skills to build one). I would desperately want to get Pinball FX running on it -- that would be amazing.

I have been looking around everywhere (including on HyperPin, VPforums, etc.) for more details about this PC release or cabinet experiences of anyone who's tried it. Franco is the only one I've found so far, and that was with the pre-release version. I suspect one of the major issues is the fact it's only on Windows 8. It seems like most peoples' cabinets are actually still running Windows XP for minimal overhead, so I'm not sure how many people are going to want to change to Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    We're working on a PC version now, I'm not sure what the features will be but I will be sure to let you all know as we get closer to launch!
    It's been awhile and the game is out now, but the only thing announced was the table list. Does the current PC version even have any features/options not on the console versions? I don't have Windows 8, so I can't try it. There must at least be some more camera options for Franco to get as far as he did with a static fullscreen view.

So are there any more details that BarbieBobomb or anyone else here can provide about the PC version? What options are there? What features are planned or coming soon?

Must-have features:

1. Camera options. Dedicated cabinet settings or ability to completely customize camera, without having to rotate the playfield monitor in Windows.
    2. Ability to show backglass on second monitor.
    3. Ability to move DMD around to 2nd/3rd monitor.
    4. Completely customizable keys for all inputs.
    5. Table list/grid and menus navigable with just a few custom buttons (i.e left flipper, right flipper, start, esc.)

Nice-to-have features:

1. Support for tilt/nudge sensors, analog plungers and other cabinet goodies. (Actually, how do you even control the plunger on a regular desktop/laptop -- using the mouse somehow?)
    2. Ability to boot directly into a certain table via command line. This would allow front-end programs like HyperPin to jump right to a table.
    3. Support for real DMD screens

Also, anyone have feedback regarding running Windows 8 on a cabinet? Supposedly it has some performance enhancements, but I'm pretty scared of it given the whole Metro controversy.

Thanks for any info!

KickBeaten Down

The Windows 8 version doesn't have a lot of customization options. Our general PC game that will come out at some point next year should allow virtual cabinet owners to play the game that way - at least, that is the current plan.

Thanks for the quick reply, Solitude. I know you have been listening to our pleas for a long time.

It's sounds like the Windows store release ("Metro" app) is kind of just like another console version. I'm looking forward to the "real" PC release now. Can we assume Windows 7 support at that point?

Pinball FX with a proper cabinet set up will be mind-blowing. I will buy (or re-buy) every table until the end of time!