Thread: Plants vs Zombies Halloween Pinball Tournament

Default Plants vs Zombies Halloween Pinball Tournament

We're celebrating Halloween this year by hosting a Plants vs Zombies Pinball tournament! The tournament will go from Friday, October 26th to Friday, November 2nd. Head on over to the Zen Studios blog for more details and pictures of the prizes (which is the most important part)!

What can I say, I knew it I'll join in for sure.

Awesome! I won't win but maybe I'll get lucky bag a participation prize. It'll be a good reason to play PvZ some more too. Hooray for tournaments!
    PSN: Bearded_Warrior

Table Wishlist: Lord of the Rings, God of War, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda, and Marvel's Archangel.

I totally won't get anywhere near the winners but this will give me a good reason to play it & at least try. With the online being so dead I'm losing interest, I sit for hours switching back & forth from Vita/Ps3 to Xbox trying to find a match.

Quote Originally Posted by SirenXp View Post
    I totally won't get anywhere near the winners but this will give me a good reason to play it & at least try. With the online being so dead I'm losing interest, I sit for hours switching back & forth from Vita/Ps3 to Xbox trying to find a match.
    Sounds like you just need to add more pinball friends! People! Add SirenXp!!

This is one of my least favorite tables, but I'm in.

gonna give it my all , personal goal top 50 , gonna be very hard to be top 3 for me my score is about 381mil. master hypno gonna probably grind to the top. i just love this table
    i don't have a pci use ps3 browser

Barb,

Is the Zen Pinball 2 PS Vita Monsters Bundle (The Paranormal, Sorcerer’s Lair and Plants vs. Zombies) also coming to the EU? If so, what's the price? Plus discount?

It would have been nice if the multiplier bug was fixed before the tournament but I guess its a case of take it or leave it
    XBox One Gamertag - PinStratsDan

Pinball FX3 Tips & Strategy Guide YouTube Channel - PinStratsDan

Discord server - PinStratsDan

Twitter - PinStratsDan

Facebook - PinStratsDan

Cloda's somewhat vain and sort of self-indulgent thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klart View Post
    Barb,

Is the Zen Pinball 2 PS Vita Monsters Bundle (The Paranormal, Sorcerer’s Lair and Plants vs. Zombies) also coming to the EU? If so, what's the price? Plus discount?
    Sorry, just North America this time.

Oh goody. Tournaments usually bring out the best in me. I feel my pinballing skills have improved since the last tournament so if I get into the top 1%, I'll be extremely satisfied.

Tournaments do count towards Pro Score, don't they?
    PSN: Jeppo99
    Feel free to friend me, but make sure you mention that you are from these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppo99 View Post
    Tournaments do count towards Pro Score, don't they?
    If they stick to the MARVEL Pinball rules your best result will be added to your score.

Another question:

Can you start a game now, save it and finish it during the tournament? Would that count for the tournament?

Red face

Im in also, likly wont make the top 100. Chance at a random draw I suppose, are the slippers one of those lucky picks or only top 3 scores I wonder. Id pay fifty clams for a pair of those.

New tournament ?
    French Pinball Mafia, ASSEMBLE !!

Oh, and we have some new members
    When Mammouth will be hungry, it means that thin people will have already died

I won't be anywhere near the top, but it should be really fun. I'm in.

oh yeah , a Tournament on a Table ,full of bugs , i wont play any Z2 , until the most bugs are fixed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post
    It would have been nice if the multiplier bug was fixed before the tournament but I guess its a case of take it or leave it
    Can someone tell me what this bug is? Ive done a search, cant find it. Ive asked about it in the zp2 bug thread, no reply. Sat nite i was playing this table, and it seemed like no matter how many times i hit the bumpers,the multipliers would not advance. I even tried to just focus on advancing them, repeatedly hitting the bumpers, nothing. The whole night, for at least 4 hours, they only advanced for me in 2, maybe 3 games. Is this a common occurence for anyone else?

Also, in the guide for this table, during zomboss final mission, sttc states you can hit the ice ball/fire ball with the same type of pinball(ice or fire) & itlll give you the right ball automaticaly instead of using the flowerpot sinkhole. First time i got to zomboss, i tried this, and it took 4-5 hits to switch the ball type. Second time i got to him, ball type changed on first hit of zomboss's ball, everytime. Is this supposed to be first hit change ball, or is it just random how many times you need to hit Dr. Z's balls (lol) to change your ball? (hope you guys can follow that!)

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Funny enough I think its random, don't think anyone knws for sure?

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

cool ill be there will this still go towards our pro score kind of like marvel i am guessing yes. they should hold tournaments more often but i guess that would mean more giveaways not that i would win

my cats would love to bat those zombie/coconut heads around
    Last edited by RabidShark; 10-23-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidShark View Post
    cool ill be there will this still go towards our pro score kind of like marvel i am guessing yes. they should hold tournaments more often but i guess that would mean more giveaways not that i would win

my cats would love to bat those zombie/coconut heads around
    Funny you mention that, one of mine likes to perch on the tv stand ledge and swat the ball when it comes down the in/out lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by s-carnegie View Post
    Funny you mention that, one of mine likes to perch on the tv stand ledge and swat the ball when it comes down the in/out lanes.
    ya mine do that too but i have to distract them with something else, unfortunately the screen in the living room is delicate

currently in 15 place , looks like long games of grinding to make it higher ,

i think the bug is when you keep a ball in play during multiball lose one but it still counts as a ball loss , really fustrating , i was like WAARGHH

So, no pro score for tournaments?

If that's something which can easily be implemented in a future patch, you should consider to add tournaments to the pro score. It would encourage / motivate all of us poor souls which cannot win anyways to shoot for good scores during a tournament.

Hi all,

i'm new to the forum, i saw some posts up ShoryukenToTheChin posting.

Just want to say thank you for the wonderful guide to this funny table, i really appreciated it.

To the other buddies: good luck for your games! This tournament made me return playing P. vs Z. table with a renewed desire to challenge ^^

Sorry for errors and my english, not my main language.
    Plants vs Zombies Tournament best score: 595 mil

PSN ID: XSeraph888X

Quote Originally Posted by maink View Post
    i think the bug is when you keep a ball in play during multiball lose one but it still counts as a ball loss , really fustrating , i was like WAARGHH
    That's happened to me as well. It was early on in my game though so it wasn't that frustrating.

Not happy with my own performance at the moment. Currently at the top 7-8%, while I average 1-2% normally. It really is a test of endurance, more than any other table. That left ramp really is a killer if you don't make the shot. The most annoying aspect is that I beat the wizard mode for the first time, but badly fluffed the multiball mode straight after, partly because I wasn't expecting it.

Must try harder!
    Feel free to friend me, but make sure you mention that you are from these forums.

I experienced the game breaking one myself (mail box one). I played a second game and got 300 million and called it a day. I'm officially done with this table. It's way too grinding centric for me (like V12) and it gets dull rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    I'm officially done with this table. It's way too grinding centric for me (like V12) and it gets dull rather quickly.
    Same here. I might have another go, but I really won't be trying that hard, considering how cheap/boring/annoying, and a grind this table is, it really gets on my nerves unlike any other table.

How do increase the jackpot base for multi ball ??
    Check out my youtube videos for basic pinball strategies: caperUnderscore26

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    I experienced the game breaking one myself (mail box one). I played a second game and got 300 million and called it a day. I'm officially done with this table. It's way too grinding centric for me (like V12) and it gets dull rather quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    Same here. I might have another go, but I really won't be trying that hard, considering how cheap/boring/annoying, and a grind this table is, it really gets on my nerves unlike any other table.
    I agree with you guys. I've played one tournament game so far, got 208 million, and haven't played it again. I just get bored with it so quickly and the ease of starting multiball and playing half of the game in that mode just doesn't feel right. I had the same issue with the Ghost Rider table. I hope I don't sound too negative. The table seems like it was designed with a younger audience in mind and most of us on here aren't that audience.

Table Wishlist: Lord of the Rings, God of War, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda, and Marvel's Archangel.

to increase jackpots shoot the orbits then wait for a yellow star to appear and shoot that lane .

for the bug best way to avoid it is to start zomboss without any balls locked in the mailbox , if you do start a multiball against zomboss don't lose any balls as that will result as a ball lost even if you lose 1

I played Earth Defense last week and got 7 billion for the PSnation tourney and had a blast (took about 3 hours), yet I can't last longer than 5 minutes on this table without feeling bored. I praise Tenor for getting over 1 billion on this table.

they did capture PvZ perfectly in terms of models, art, sound and music but it does feel easy tho each game i can get at least 200mill without trying too hard and 3 out of the four games i played i almost beat zomboss just needed hit him one last time ill get him soon enough it is a good change from some of the harder tables tho but dang that mailbox & zomboss multiball bugs are frustrating.

congratulations on that Earth Defense score again Snakeman don't know if ill ever get that close but i'll certainly try
    Last edited by RabidShark; 10-28-2012 at 11:27 PM.

to increase jackpots shoot the orbits then wait for a yellow star to appear and shoot that lane .

for the bug best way to avoid it is to start zomboss without any balls locked in the mailbox , if you do start a multiball against zomboss don't lose any balls as that will result as a ball lost even if you lose 1
    AHHH. I saw the star light in a lane, but I didn't know what it was for. How much does it increase the jackpot base by each time?

I also lost a few balls during zomboss because of the multiball glitch. And I wasn't logged in when I finished my game and my score didnt register. 700 something mill I think. Nothing to write home about. Lost 4 balls in last 5 minutes

i think the jackpots increases 100000 and the missions 500000 , , but not sure if they reset if you lose a ball

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    I played Earth Defense last week and got 7 billion for the PSnation tourney and had a blast (took about 3 hours), yet I can't last longer than 5 minutes on this table without feeling bored. I praise Tenor for getting over 1 billion on this table.
    Heh I do like the theme but yeah this table is nothing but multiball after multiball. I tried to do missions mostly but even during the missions you can get mail multiball and that leads to the boring play because you can easily get the ball saves and kick-backs by shooting the orbits and that's what you want to increase your jackpots in the first place. Interestingly enough my game was a little more than 2 hrs or so. If it wasn't for the mulitball glitch/bug or whatever I would have had another ball to work with.

It might have changed but I was 3rd place for tourney I don't think it will hold though for top 3 and the code for Civil War. Kudos to those that stick with it and get over a billion. I don't think I will try to best my score unless something drastic happens in the PSNation league.
    Last edited by tenorhero; 10-29-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sui99 View Post
    So, no pro score for tournaments?

If that's something which can easily be implemented in a future patch, you should consider to add tournaments to the pro score. It would encourage / motivate all of us poor souls which cannot win anyways to shoot for good scores during a tournament.
    Not sure how that could work, though.

In the 360 version, your Pro Score was a straight 1 point per million, so it was easy to just consider "tournament" as a separate high score, and add points appropriately from your highest score in any tournament.

But when it's based off of a sliding scale of 0-1000 points per table based off of rank, it wouldn't work. You can't have a separate pro score bonus for EACH tournament without annoying the veterans who miss a tourney, and if it "resets" with each new tournament it serves no point.

Thumbs up

i think the jackpots increases 100000 and the missions 500000 , , but not sure if they reset if you lose a ball
    Oh really ?!? Wow, I think I just found my way to at least the top 10. Can't wait to test this out! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by caper_26 View Post
    Oh really ?!? Wow, I think I just found my way to at least the top 10. Can't wait to test this out! Thanks.
    It's pretty random though I think. At least before any Multiball I did notice the DMD say something like more coin, Sun, Jackpot value etc.

yea , i don't know , im pretty sure i hit it about 50 times and when i blocked a ball on the flipper it only said 400000

i guess my only chance is to survive for a long time in wizard or play real carefully

4/50 ?? Wow... that isn't very enticing.

Thumbs down No more for me.

I think I've played my last game on this table. I've now beaten Zomboss twice now. The first time I wasted the Sing Along Multiball that followed partly because I wasn't expecting it. The second time I had a good long Wizard Mode session and posted a score for provisional 34th. That's good enough for me.

I really don't like this table. Not because of the ease of winning extra balls and reaching the You Have Mail Multiball, but the concept just doesn't make sense. Sure, make a table on zombies, but why plants and zombies? It just doesn't make sense! Then there are the game modes: Most, with the possible exception of Going Nuts, is a bit boring. The soundtrack is very poor as well.

I think the table is based on an existing game...

I think the table is based on an existing game...
    Yes! Plants vs Zombies is a strategy game made by Popcap. The actual game is also available on the PSN for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppo99 View Post
    I think I've played my last game on this table. I've now beaten Zomboss twice now. The first time I wasted the Sing Along Multiball that followed partly because I wasn't expecting it. The second time I had a good long Wizard Mode session and posted a score for provisional 34th. That's good enough for me.

I really don't like this table. Not because of the ease of winning extra balls and reaching the You Have Mail Multiball, but the concept just doesn't make sense. Sure, make a table on zombies, but why plants and zombies? It just doesn't make sense! Then there are the game modes: Most, with the possible exception of Going Nuts, is a bit boring. The soundtrack is very poor as well.
    I was wondering when someone would say this! This table is based on PopCap's hugely popular game, you can get more details here: http://www.popcap.com/games/plants-vs-zombies/home

I think you can pick up the game for $0.99 right now on iOS (or at least you could last week, I saw an ad for a PvZ sale). It's a funky little tower defense game that is pretty addictive.

Default the worst kind of lonely...

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Sounds like you just need to add more pinball friends! People! Add SirenXp!!

I need pinball friends too!

Perhaps I've not explained myself properly. I know it's based off a game - I've played it, and found that dull and boring also. I'm not a huge fan of tower defence games anyway, but PvsZ was one of the worst I've played in my opinion, and I've played a lot of Tower Defence games.

As a table, it just doesn't cut it like the rest of what Zen has created for the reasons I described above. I particularly cited the concept as poor but that also extends to the concept of the original game as well.

But of course it is my opinion. Feel free to shout at me.
    Last edited by Jeppo99; 10-29-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Default Tournament Bonus Bug?

I just played a game in the PvZ Tournament - Scored 176M. It gave me a tournament bonus of 176 as expected. However, when calculating my Super Score, my total Tournament Bonus did not include bonuses from two previous tournaments (Secrets of the Deep and BioLab). Is this a bug? Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroPER View Post
    I just played a game in the PvZ Tournament - Scored 176M. It gave me a tournament bonus of 176 as expected. However, when calculating my Super Score, my total Tournament Bonus did not include bonuses from two previous tournaments (Secrets of the Deep and BioLab). Is this a bug? Anyone else experience this?
    The tournament bonus is the highest score you have achieved in any one tournament. You only get it once, not one for every tournament. Also, what system are you playing on? The Zen Pinball 2 forum is for PS3 players.

Default Tournament Bonus Bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Warrior View Post
    The tournament bonus is the highest score you have achieved in any one tournament. You only get it once, not one for every tournament. Also, what system are you playing on? The Zen Pinball 2 forum is for PS3 players.
    Thank you for clarifying! Makes sense now. And apologies - I am playing on XBOX 360, so should have posted in the Pinball FX2 - XBOX 360 thread (I'm new to these forums and didn't look closely at the thread titles...). Your reply applies to PS3 as well, so hope some others here might find the info of value.

[QUOTE=snakeman07;35536]I played Earth Defense last week and got 7 billion for the PSnation tourney and had a blast (took about 3 hours)

what are the prizes for psnation ?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroPER View Post
    I am playing on XBOX 360, so should have posted in the Pinball FX2 - XBOX 360 thread
    Yes! There's a whole forum dedicated to the 360 version and a thread on the same tournament there as well.

Your reply applies to PS3 as well, so hope some others here might find the info of value.
    No it doesn't! Zen Pinball 2 has a different scoring system, where it's called the Pro Score (from leader board rankings) and tournaments don't count towards it.
    Last edited by shogun00; 10-30-2012 at 03:48 AM.

what are the prizes for psnation ?
    I have no clue, I don't even know if there are any XD
    Last edited by snakeman07; 10-30-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Decided to have one more go tonight, ended with 499m, not even topping my previous high score...Also ran into the dreaded multiball bug during Dr.Zomboss, which is completely ridiculous

so i tried playing pvz on view 2 , yea i think i better stick to view 4 . it was fun to see how the table looks different that way.

yea , i don't know , im pretty sure i hit it about 50 times and when i blocked a ball on the flipper it only said 400000
    The base jackpot gets reset, I believe after you engage in a multiball

The base jackpot gets reset, I believe after you engage in a multiball
    haha worst after each jackpot got , so from now what i do is when get to multiball i shoot anywhere , it augments the jackpot and eventually it will hit the flashing lane

then it resets to 200000

haha worst after each jackpot got , so from now what i do is when get to multiball i shoot anywhere , it augments the jackpot and eventually it will hit the flashing lane

then it resets to 200000
    OMG!!! you got to be kidding !!! It makes no sense to grow it then, simply because getting 200K jackpots is probably more effective than trying to grow it, when you throw in the "plenty money" and such that you get in the mix of trying to grow the base. This is truly a downer for me...

had it going good today had about 300million on first ball , then lost 5 balls real quick , i just saved and will countinue tommorow

had it going good today had about 300million on first ball , then lost 5 balls real quick , i just saved and will countinue tommorow
    I am scared to jinks myself here, but I saved at 900M or so last night, 2nd or 3rd ball. No point in doing missions anymore since the zombies have all the head gear so the wizard bonus is pretty much useless since they block all the million-point lanes. Going to be all multiball now until the end... so mundane ....

That post near the left (MAIL) ramp sure is a killer when it sends the ball back SDTM so fast you can't react...
    Last edited by caper_26; 10-31-2012 at 12:38 PM.

i have been trying to buy bacon as much as possible , from now on if the ballsave or kickbacks are not activated im not even trying to hit crazy dave

I am scared to jinks myself here, but I saved at 900M or so last night, 2nd or 3rd ball. No point in doing missions anymore since the zombies have all the head gear so the wizard bonus is pretty much useless since they block all the million-point lanes. Going to be all multiball now until the end... so mundane ....

That post near the left (MAIL) ramp sure is a killer when it sends the ball back SDTM so fast you can't react...
    Yeah that post can be frustrating if you don't aim your shots. Even Random shots can mess you up.

2nd or 3rd not including extra balls? That's impressive. I'll give it one more shot today to try and get top 3. I think I'm 5th or 6th now last time I checked.

Maybe Zeb can give all the players that broke the billionaires club the code for Civil War? Well Barbie what do you think? Even if I'm bit top 3, I will buy Civil War Day one. Love Zen pinball.

topped the leaderboard for now... 1.7B. Drained last 2 balls trying to beat zomboss.... damn I knew I shouldnt have even tried but it is sooooo hard to sit there holding the ball waiting for something to touch the welcome mat !! UGH!! I would have liked a little more breathing room!!

nice score caper_26 !!

thanks man, unfortunately, I cannot try to best it. I have no free time until the tourney is over...

enjoy the new slippers , i really needed a new pair mine are getting soggy.

i missed work today tried to advance but i won't be able to reach top 3. now all i hear is the sun sound effect when you sun and noooooooooooo , wabble wabble , wooooohoooo muliballl ahhyeah ,zombies are comming

when does the tourny end? Still says something like 2 days on my PS3

when does the tourny end? Still says something like 2 days on my PS3
    Today is the last day, but I'm not sure when it will go down, so you can play/enter until the tournament icon is gone.

yeah weird, today it still said "2 days remaining". fingers crossed that I dont get trumped at the last minute!!

Congratulations to the winners ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph888 View Post
    Congratulations to the winners ^^
    thanks! never thought I would make it !

can't wait for next tournament

Default high score

thanks! never thought I would make it !
    It's a good thing it's over because I was only 1 billion off your score and I think after another 3 years I might have gotten even closer!
    Congrats

Aw, they only kept the top 100 scores.

Good job I'm ranked #58.

Quote Originally Posted by opelgt1969 View Post
    It's a good thing it's over because I was only 1 billion off your score and I think after another 3 years I might have gotten even closer!
    Congrats
    Thanks. So are we supposed to get a message or something saying we won ?

Thanks. So are we supposed to get a message or something saying we won ?
    Just send your name and mailing address to me via private message

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    Just send your name and mailing address to me via private message
    PM sent, but
    from the Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by ZenStudiosBlog
    Winners will be notified via gamertag following the conclusion of the tournament. We make every effort to get in touch with the winners, so please be on the lookout for a message if you wish to claim your prize. Happy Halloween!
    Who was making the effort to get in touch? I am not that hard to find am I ? heh heh

Who was making the effort to get in touch? I am not that hard to find am I ? heh heh
    Me. It's much easier to get into touch with you here than on psn Btw, anything you see on the blog/Facebook/twitter was most likely written by me

im suscribed to zen on facebook , i see howard the duck super fan pages in the comments

I won a random drawing code for Civil War! Barbie gave me the good news on PSN, decided to make my thanks also here ^^

Can't wait to receive it and try the new table!

P.s.

Sorry for my english.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph888 View Post
    I won a random drawing code for Civil War! Barbie gave me the good news on PSN, decided to make my thanks also here ^^

Can't wait to receive it and try the new table!

P.s.

Sorry for my english.
    Yay congrats again!

nice one! Congrats !

Barbie,
    I see someone got sent a code for civil war (random draw). Will I be getting one too? I thought the blog said so.

Barbie,
    I see someone got sent a code for civil war (random draw). Will I be getting one too? I thought the blog said so.
    Of course, but I don't have them just yet.