Thread: Some general Xbox Live questions

Default Some general Xbox Live questions

So, I am actually considering getting a used or cheap Xbox 360 in order to play the 11 tables that aren't on the PS3. Sad, I know, but the addiction must be fed. I don't know much about Xbox Live so I thought I would ask here. Do you have to pay monthly fees in order to be online or can you play online and post your scores for free? Also, if I only wanted to play PFX2 and nothing else, what size hard drive would be recommended?

Howdy.

Xbox Silver (free) will allow you to upload table scores to a leader-board, BUT you can't play directly online with anyone. Though most people don't play like that anyway as far as I can tell.

Whilst they may not even do them this small any more, a 20GB will be fine for just pinball tables. Hell I play a whole host of games and only recently moved to a 120GB. So you don't need to overly worry about HDD space if you are sure you only want Pinball tables and maybe the odd game save.

As far as XBOX LIVE! and Pinball FX2 are concerned, here is some of what you need to know.

- A free Silver account will allow you to download all Pinball FX2 content from xbox live! (including access to on demand digital content such as movies, games, music, etc)
    - You will need Microsoft points to purchase content from xbox live! (including Pinball FX2 tables). Points can be purchased at retail outlets (Walmart, Target, etc) or directly from xbox live! using a credit card.
    - Microsoft uses Digital Rights Management to tie purchases from xbox live! to a specific XBOX 360 hardware and account. This allows other xbox 360 profiles to play that content offline on the xbox 360 that purchased the content. You can also play your content on a different xbox 360, but you will have to be signed into xbox live! to access it.
    - If you xbox 360 hardware fails, you can download the content to a new/different hardware. To play the content offline, you will have to perform a DRM license transfer to the new hardware.
    - A free Silver account will allow you to post your high scores online and view your friend's scores.
    - A Gold Account will allow to complete against up to 3 other players online on the same table. There is no co-op pinball play
    - I just checked how much room Pinball FX2 is taking on my hard drive and it is 1.8 GB (which is all the current tables available), so you will at least need a 20gb xbox HD if all you are going to play is Pinball FX2.

----------

Basically if you can pick up an older xbox 360 (white model) with a 20gb hard drive you will be fine. Once you buy points and download the game/tables to that xbox, you will be good to go. I am currently using an xbox 360 white arcade version with a 120gb HD and a VGA connection. I have no problems running the game.

One more consideration, the older model xbox 360 consoles don't have built-in wifi. You will either need to connect the xbox directly to your internal network or internet connection or purchase an external wifi adapter. The original external xbox wifi adapter will work with the xbox 360 and might be less expensive.
    Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Thank you both very much. This was exactly what I needed to know.

You do not need a hard drive at all... Just use a USB flash drive. XBOX will format and use up to 16GB flash drives plugged into USB ports. Probably much cheaper to buy a console without a HD, and just stick in a $20 16GB flash drive.

Indy has a good list of general considerations. Also note:
    = Really old xboxes don't have hdmi ports. It's less likely you'll find one, but if buying used and connecting via hdmi, it's worth taking a look at the back to see what's there.
    = Xboxes before the slim don't have wifi, so you'll need a separate adapter or wired connection to your router to download content and post to leaderboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
    Xboxes before the slim don't have wifi, so you'll need a separate adapter or wired connection to your router to download content and post to leaderboards.
    Indy did mention it though

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron2000 View Post
    So, I am actually considering getting a used or cheap Xbox 360 in order to play the 11 tables that aren't on the PS3. Sad, I know, but the addiction must be fed. I don't know much about Xbox Live so I thought I would ask here. Do you have to pay monthly fees in order to be online or can you play online and post your scores for free? Also, if I only wanted to play PFX2 and nothing else, what size hard drive would be recommended?
    Don't feel bad, friend! I did the exact same thing 2 years ago when PBFX2 was released. I got an Xbox just because the Xbox had more exclusives then the PS3 and I needed to feed my..ahem...addiction as well.
    PSN ID- RayCrocheron82
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony