Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: I need some help

  1. #1

    Default I need some help

    I am pretty sure this is all me, but I am having a real problem getting the ball to go up the ramps on just about every table. Most of the shots I have issue with the ball goes up part way then rolls back. This happens no matter how hard I hit the ball. Any suggestions would be great. If there are settings that I can change to fix this issue without losing access to the scoreboards would be helpful as well.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    If you're having a problem with the ball not going all of the way up the ramp, you need to work on shot accuracy. Usually, when this occurs the ball is deflected off of the side of the ramp, losing momentum. Try cradling the ball on the flipper to get more accurate shots. A dead-on shot should have no issue going up a ramp. Particularly since this is video pinball, so the ramps can actually be calibrated to "work" properly (this can become a very big problem with real pins). Hope that helps.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiralfox View Post
    If you're having a problem with the ball not going all of the way up the ramp, you need to work on shot accuracy. Usually, when this occurs the ball is deflected off of the side of the ramp, losing momentum. Try cradling the ball on the flipper to get more accurate shots. A dead-on shot should have no issue going up a ramp. Particularly since this is video pinball, so the ramps can actually be calibrated to "work" properly (this can become a very big problem with real pins). Hope that helps.
    I quoted your post, because I realized I wasn't completely clear. I know if a ball is deflected, example off of a bumper, the ball will slow down. I am referencing a dead on shot up a ramp. I know it's probably something I am doing, but I truly am not sure what it is. It bothers me more in a multiplayer game when I am playing someone outside of my wife. When I play my wife, she is happy when I have issues because she feels like she has a chance to win, lol. However, I think the other day, I was playing a friend online and I swear he took pity on me. He had at least a 25 million point lead on me in game, when it didn't look like he scored anything in a 5-6 minute window. When he was building the lead, I was having a terrible time getting ball all the way up the ramps. I know it takes accuracy to get the ball up the ramps, the ball would go around 1/2 the way up the ramp and came back down. No points given, but none should have been given the ball didn't go all the way thru on the ramp. These were straight shots up the ramps with varying speeds.

  4. #4

    Default

    Try not trapping the ball to make the shot. Use the momentum of the ball coming down through the inlane.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clydebink View Post
    Try not trapping the ball to make the shot. Use the momentum of the ball coming down through the inlane.
    I am guessing you mean to hold the flipper up to try to get the ball to settle and stop on the flipper base. If that's what you mean, I don't do that very often, but I will try to do that less.

  6. #6
    Member bazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Santiago from Chile
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clydebink View Post
    Try not trapping the ball to make the shot. Use the momentum of the ball coming down through the inlane.
    actually for me is easier to do ramp shots once i have the ball stop in the flipper, there are very few tables in which you require all the momentum to get the ball go all the way the ramp (the only one i can think right now is is the ramp in SHaman to get to the elements playfield)
    its all in judging where is the best position in flipper for the ball to be shot, you can make up for most of the momentun if you wait for the ball to almost tip from the flipper and is great for getting in the orbits

  7. #7

    Default My wife says it's a bug.

    I keep explaining that it's not a bug, but she insists.

    It's not a bug.
    So can you give us an example ramp on which this happens nearly all the time?
    I remember having partIcular trouble on the Citadel ramp in Sorceror's Lair. Is that a good example?

    If it's a bug, then there will be pie on my face.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Gustauve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcduggan View Post
    I am pretty sure this is all me, but I am having a real problem getting the ball to go up the ramps on just about every table. Most of the shots I have issue with the ball goes up part way then rolls back. This happens no matter how hard I hit the ball. Any suggestions would be great. If there are settings that I can change to fix this issue without losing access to the scoreboards would be helpful as well.

    Thanks
    Does your wife or anyone else use the same machine? If so do they have the same problem? If not then I'd guess you just need more practice.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gustauve View Post
    Does your wife or anyone else use the same machine? If so do they have the same problem? If not then I'd guess you just need more practice.
    My wife uses a different PS3 but she is a poor example. She is a really new pinball player and is not really any good.

  10. #10
    Member iCub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK & Canada
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Make sure your TV has "Game Mode" enabled in the settings. This stops the TV adding any post processing to the image that might create a delay in it showing on your screen. This delay is often only 70ms or so but in a quick reaction game like pinball it is enough to make aiming a lot more difficult as your flipper input doesn't quite sync with the action on the screen. This phenomena is known as "lag".

    Hope this helps.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clydebink View Post
    I keep explaining that it's not a bug, but she insists.

    It's not a bug.
    So can you give us an example ramp on which this happens nearly all the time?
    I remember having partIcular trouble on the Citadel ramp in Sorceror's Lair. Is that a good example?

    If it's a bug, then there will be pie on my face.
    Example ramp that comes to mind is the burst tire ramp on V12

    It stands out because it's the most recent table I have played. I have had issue on other tables as well. Like I stated before, I do not think it is a bug, I really think it is me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member snakeman07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcduggan View Post
    Example ramp that comes to mind is the burst tire ramp on V12

    It stands out because it's the most recent table I have played. I have had issue on other tables as well. Like I stated before, I do not think it is a bug, I really think it is me.
    Everyone has trouble with the tire ramp on V12, it's hit or miss sometimes. Sadly, it must just be you I recently got the trophy for fully upgrading a part on V12, and I used the tire ramp since it's probably the easiest, and probably 30-40% of the time it'll fall back down.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    Everyone has trouble with the tire ramp on V12, it's hit or miss sometimes. Sadly, it must just be you I recently got the trophy for fully upgrading a part on V12, and I used the tire ramp since it's probably the easiest, and probably 30-40% of the time it'll fall back down.
    Thanks lol

    I only mentioned V12 because that was the last multiplayer game I played, previously mentioned it in this thread.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iCub View Post
    Make sure your TV has "Game Mode" enabled in the settings. This stops the TV adding any post processing to the image that might create a delay in it showing on your screen. This delay is often only 70ms or so but in a quick reaction game like pinball it is enough to make aiming a lot more difficult as your flipper input doesn't quite sync with the action on the screen. This phenomena is known as "lag".

    Hope this helps.
    the 70ms delay makes sense, I have seen that on some tables, was curious about that as well.

    Where would I find the settings you are talking about on my TV?

    It's an AOC Envision 32 inch TV, not sure if other info is needed for helping me. I lost the manual a while ago.

  15. #15
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcduggan View Post
    the 70ms delay makes sense, I have seen that on some tables, was curious about that as well.

    Where would I find the settings you are talking about on my TV?

    It's an AOC Envision 32 inch TV, not sure if other info is needed for helping me. I lost the manual a while ago.
    1.) Press the menu button on the remote.
    2.) Go to video settings.
    3.) There should be a setting in there to set the picture to "game mode" for that channel (usually an image/motion enhancer).

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    1.) Press the menu button on the remote.
    2.) Go to video settings.
    3.) There should be a setting in there to set the picture to "game mode" for that channel (usually an image/motion enhancer).
    like an adaptive contrast or a DCR option? I know what adaptive contrast does, not sure what DCR does though

  17. #17
    Senior Member shogun00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Western NY (USA)
    Posts
    2,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcduggan View Post
    like an adaptive contrast or a DCR option? I know what adaptive contrast does, not sure what DCR does though
    I'm not sure, since each manufacturer labels and brands things differently. The option may be under a different section too (such as setup).

    I recommend just playing around with the settings until you find it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Michelasso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Nah, the tv game mode doesn't matter. Some tables really have the ramps raised to the limit. Like Earth Defence (left ramp) and Shaman (left ramp again). I played those two last night and I kept having the ball coming back. If it isn't a precise shot chances are that it goes up, it reaches the top, then it comes back straight to black hole. Earth Defence in ZP for this issue it was a nightmare for me. V12 left ramp instead seems to be the opposite. No bad how the shot is, it nearly always reaches the top, and then it gets that little spin needed to go down to the other side. Same in ZP. In MP I had the same issue with Fantastic 4. Now it seems fixed in ZP2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •