Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zen Pinball 2 Coming to Nintendo Wii U eShop

KickBeaten Down

Just when we pinball players were starting to shed the stereotype of being odd and creepy...

I've been playing pinball since Pro Pinball: Timeshock first got me hooked in 1997. I've been an avid pinball player ever since. First heard about Zen Pinball a few years ago & that it was considered to be very good. Well, I'm mainly a PC gamer, don't own an XBox or PS3, so was unable to try it out on the consoles. I have an android phone, but not one that'll run Zen Pinball HD, and when Zen Pinball was released for PC, it came out on Windows 8...*shudders*. So I was over the moon when I heard it would be making an appearance on my shiny new Wii U and...well, what can I say? It was worth the wait. I own 12 tables so far and am loving it. I hold Zen Pinball up there with Pro Pinball & I can't give it any higher regard than that!
    Last edited by Jim Reaper; 02-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafie View Post
    We need to get you some pinball quick, fast, and in a hurry.
    Truly spoken Rafie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Just when we pinball players were starting to shed the stereotype of being odd and creepy...
    We were?

I did the second batch and I note that like Schprocket said it does come with the latest batch of Marvel table demos - it wasn't apparent to me that that's what the keyhole symbol on the table icon meant initially. I did what Thom suggested and jumped into the eShop from the home menu to download another batch, but that only removes one of many steps involved which are as follows:

Select "additional content" Select which additional content you want (up to five - these are split across two screens) Read a disclaimer about having to have downloaded the Zen Pinball 2 app to use said content and tap a button to confirm Tap another confirmation about what you've selected Tap yet another confirmation to begin the download

I can understand the need for a disclaimer if you're not going to build in a system check for the required software (which seems a bit of an oversight), but honestly there has to be a way to streamline this! Oh, and the new content doesn't automatically install - you have to quit and restart the game for that.

I did get to play a few demos and frankly I prefer emulations of real machines. The only stuff I've played so far are the Marvel tables which is what I was initially interested in, but outside of Ghost Rider and possibly Moon Knight I find the designs a bit lacklustre and they start to feel the same. I have a feeling I'll enjoy their original non-licensed tables more, which is pretty much how I feel about real-life pinball.

I would note also that the way the demos work does give you a flavour, but I would have preferred being able to play a single ball rather than having both a time limit on play and a score limit - I really don't get the need for the latter if you have the former. When you hit either of these it pauses the game with a pop-up message telling you to buy it (as Shprocket said it actually says "unlock" here and in the eShop so I assume you're downloading the full table code with the demo as well as if you buy it sight unseen) then you have to wait for the three second countdown and the game continues to play for another few seconds before actually ending. I'd rather be able to breeze through the demos quicker, but this is just picking nits now.

I'm hopeful most, if not all of these things can be fixed in a future release, but hopefully people who are checking it out will persevere. I could see the number of hoops required to get all the demos affecting sales though if folk just cannot be bothered.

Here is another Nintendo Life quote from that same user as above! His opinions might be slightly bias as he like the pinball arcade more. Others are also confused of how or what to do or what they are not doing right!

Quote Originally Posted by Everly View Post
    Then I had a dream that I was playing Zen, but I was naked. Just as I was about to shoot the left orbit for they extra ball my mom walked in and she was naked too. I thought that was very weird because.........she never visits me.
    o_O

What exactly have I stumbled into?...and more importantly, where are the exits? You know, just for reference...

¬_¬

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reaper View Post
    o_O

What exactly have I stumbled into?...and more importantly, where are the exits? You know, just for reference...

¬_¬
    i am with you on that jim reaper lol.
    feel free to add me in the wiiverse its FanOfMK20 and you can allways find me on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/DerekColeman.

The Zen Pinball 2 Miiverse community made it onto WaraWara Plaza today! That's like making the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    Indeed! Half of us on these forums are still pretty young. It just takes one old fart to ruin it.

I fear my attempt at levity has gone terribly wrong.
    Last edited by Everly; 02-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Don't feel bad though. Levitation is a notoriously tricky thing to pull off.

I fear my attempt at levity has gone terribly wrong.
    You dirty old man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reaper View Post
    The Zen Pinball 2 Miiverse community made it onto WaraWara Plaza today! That's like making the front page.
    Hmm now whats the highest score on the leader boards right now?

i don't think the zen pinball miiverse comunity is on the list in my end yet i will have the check and see though.
    feel free to add me in the wiiverse its FanOfMK20 and you can allways find me on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/DerekColeman.

Quote Originally Posted by MK2017 View Post
    i don't think the zen pinball miiverse comunity is on the list in my end yet i will have the check and see though.
    I had to select "Europe and Oceania" in the drop down box in the upper left corner of the Miiverse for it to show up. From there you can just add it to your favorite communities as a more direct way to get there.

Hey guys,

I've played and enjoyed Pinball FX 2 on Xbox 360 for a bit, and I also work for an internet site as a game reviewer. I registered to tell you a few things about Zen Pinball 2 on the Wii U.

I've only bought two tables so far, Mars and Epic Quest. Mars is an odd choice because I already own it on the Xbox 360, but I simply love that table and especially its music. Epic Quest is a new experience for me, but I like it so far, especially the persistent RPG elements and the witty writing in the table guide.

The game has been ported very well. It runs smoothly, the ball physics are there and everything is intact. The only hiccup I've noticed within the game was that on Epic Quest, the music was in mono during the first ball, which is extremely irritating because I play with headphones. The only gameplay related issue I have noticed is that the number of table goals has been reduced from 3 in the Xbox 360 version to 2 in the Wii U version, which is odd.

By far my biggest gripe with the game is the clumsy interface, which has already been discussed here. Just look at this issue from a newcomer's point of view. You have to go out of your way to even download a table, and then you restart the game, only to find out that you can only play for a minute. At this point, any newcomer will simply walk away and not give the game a second look ever again.
    Like I said, I work for an internet site and have been very interested in this game, so I've monitored what the community had to say about it. Several people were interested in the game and looking forward to its release in the past few weeks. Now that it is out, two people in our community have bought the Plants vs. Zombies table, and that's it. To be fair, the interface was only once listed as an issue; most people either say that they expected a free table, or that the time limit of one minute is too short to even get a first impression of the game. One person actually said that he won't be getting any tables because he doesn't like Marvel, which is remarkable to say the least.
    So far, there are very few scores on the leaderboards - only a few hundred per table. With sales figures like these, you'll be dating Emma Watson before you see any Nintendo-themed tables for this game. I really hope that things will pick up when this game is released in the US, because it is a great game.

Cool review Vyse and also welcome to the forums. I haven't played the Wii U version of the game yet as its still pending for release in the NA market. There's not too much I can say about it. However, I can address some of the complaint issues judging from the PS3 and 360 versions (which I both have). I can say that ZP2 for the PS3/Vita also shares 2 achievement/trophies as well from their counterparts PBFX2 and ZP1/Marvel Pinball. I don't think that's a big deal at all though.

Another thing to note is that the Wii U is a brand new system that Zen had to work differently with versus the other consoles. So the unlocking through the menu with the PS3 version would be different then the Wii U version. This is Zen's first attempt with making a game with the Wii U. I understand that other people don't know the efforts into what goes into making this game a smooth one. Those that previously have ZP2 on the PS3 should be familiar, yet aware that the Wii U and the PS3 are 2 different consoles. So naturally things won't work entirely the same. As for the person that doesn't like Marvel, that's his/her preference. Plenty of people love Marvel....which is why Zen and Marvel came together with a deal to do the tables. Only one Marvel table planned for release this year.

Oh and lastly, the demand for Nintendo tables is almost overwhelming. It isn't just us here in the forums. The Nintendo community is literally begging for Nintendo themed tables to drop. That would boost overall sales for Nintendo and Zen whilst satisfying the community. So never say never (although you didn't say never). I'm just saying it's still very probable that it could happen. I mean all of this in good respect and thank you for the review. It was very informational.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Here's a review from Nintendo Life about the newly released Zen Pinball 2 for the Wii U. Enjoy!

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/.../zen_pinball_2
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Tables Wishlist- Hanna-Barbera 4 pack, Holiday table, DC tables, or any Zen table...even if it's My Little Pony

Dude I would have left too. You put "mom" and "naked" in the same sentence. Barbie quickly tip toed out of there! Hahahaha

We need to get you some pinball quick, fast, and in a hurry.
    AGREED! We're all going a bit crazy. Or a LOT crazy

Here's a review from Nintendo Life about the newly released Zen Pinball 2 for the Wii U. Enjoy!

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/.../zen_pinball_2
    I enjoyed reading the article, but I did notice this statement:

"you'll need a GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller — Wii Remotes and Classic Controllers aren't supported. Multiplayer is fun for some local rivalries and is a nice extra albeit not fundamental to the score-chasing experience, but the lack of support for the Wii Classic Controller is unfortunate."

So if I'm reading this correctly, the only way that you can make use of the multi-player split screen is if you have a second Gamepad or a Wii U Pro Controller. Is that correct?

I enjoyed reading the article, but I did notice this statement:

"you'll need a GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller — Wii Remotes and Classic Controllers aren't supported. Multiplayer is fun for some local rivalries and is a nice extra albeit not fundamental to the score-chasing experience, but the lack of support for the Wii Classic Controller is unfortunate."

So if I'm reading this correctly, the only way that you can make use of the multi-player split screen is if you have a second Gamepad or a Wii U Pro Controller. Is that correct?
    The article brings up an interesting point that I thought about during the PS3 ZP2 release. I don't understand the decision not to include every table in the game itself and then only require the purchase of an unlock code to get the tables working. I imagine it was a trade off decision to reduce the size of program itself but has made the process of actually buying content for the game a bit of a hassle.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    The article brings up an interesting point that I thought about during the PS3 ZP2 release. I don't understand the decision not to include every table in the game itself and then only require the purchase of an unlock code to get the tables working. I imagine it was a trade off decision to reduce the size of program itself but has made the process of actually buying content for the game a bit of a hassle.
    It's just too big of a download given that some players don't have a lot of storage space. And waiting forever to download and play is not fun, either. For example, there were a lot of complaints about the size of the initial system update.

Hopefully we can update the game to make things simpler once that functionality is available to us.

I figured as much. I would have preferred one large download but I am probably not an average gamer. My ps3 library of downloaded games consists of zen pinball, pinball arcade, Qbert, Rampage, and a couple of free games that Sony was offering after they got hacked. Free space on my HDD is not a problem.
    Last edited by surf1der; 02-05-2013 at 12:28 AM.

I figured as much. I would have preferred one large download but I am probably not an average gamer. My ps3 library of downloaded games consists of zen pinball, pinball arcade, Qbert, Rampage, and a couple of free games that Sony was offering after they got hacked. Free space on my HDD is not a problem.
    Ummm...where the heck was Qbert?! I never seen it on the PSN. I would have snatched the up the moment I saw it. It was one of my favorite games as a lil' boy in the late 80's. I would have bought that day 1.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Ummm...where the heck was Qbert?! I never seen it on the PSN. I would have snatched the up the moment I saw it. It was one of my favorite games as a lil' boy in the late 80's. I would have bought that day 1.
    It was available a while back, I'm not sure what happened to it. It was the first game I bought on PSN back in late 2007 I think.

Is Qbert gone? I bought on PSN a long time ago. It was one of my favorite arcade games as well. Here is a trivia question about Qbert. Which company made Qbert? A big hint: They used to make pinball machines

Is Qbert gone? I bought on PSN a long time ago. It was one of my favorite arcade games as well. Here is a trivia question about Qbert. Which company made Qbert? A big hint: They used to make pinball machines
    I rember qbert well i am guessing willams because they were in the arcade department as well i know for sure the pac-man seres is from willams. then qbert got snached up by atari when they came out game console then they came out with the 360 etc.
    Last edited by MK2017; 02-05-2013 at 02:09 PM.

I'm sorry if my initial impressions of the game sounded too negative. The game is actually a lot of fun, and I've achieved top 5 scores on both Mars and Epic Quest. I've also played most of the demo tables by now, and it seems like all of them are great.

I actually re-downloaded Pinball FX 2 on my 360 for a head-to-head comparison, and I like Zen Pinball 2 a lot more. The interface is designed a lot better and holds more information, and the tables look better and more colorful. The Wii U has often been credited for being able to display very vivid colors, and tables like Epic Quest really show that off.

The only advantage Pinball FX 2 has is its bigger selection of tables, because the core tables from Pinball FX 1+2 as well as Rocky & Bullwinkle, Street Fighter and Ms. 'Splosion Man are missing from the Wii U version. However, the Wii U versions of Earth Defense and Excalibur have the Arcade FX that (AFAIK) are missing from the 360 versions.

I can't compare to Zen Pinball 2 on the PS3 because my PS3 YLOD'ed on me. (Mere days before Ni No Kuni was released in Germany, and it crapped out on me during Okami's final boss battle. )

I can say that ZP2 for the PS3/Vita also shares 2 achievement/trophies as well from their counterparts PBFX2 and ZP1/Marvel Pinball. I don't think that's a big deal at all though.
    I think it's a non-issue for the core fanbase, who is focused on getting high scores. But for more casual gamers, table goals are a great way of giving them something to work towards.

Another thing to note is that the Wii U is a brand new system that Zen had to work differently with versus the other consoles. So the unlocking through the menu with the PS3 version would be different then the Wii U version. This is Zen's first attempt with making a game with the Wii U. I understand that other people don't know the efforts into what goes into making this game a smooth one. Those that previously have ZP2 on the PS3 should be familiar, yet aware that the Wii U and the PS3 are 2 different consoles. So naturally things won't work entirely the same.
    I'm not criticizing Zen for this. If the Wii U OS simply doesn't support this feature, there is nothing they can do. I do, however, blame Nintendo for not supporting this feature in the first place, because games that are based around building a DLC library are hardly a new thing, even to Nintendo (Rock Band comes to mind). Even my iPod Touch can do In-App Purchases; why can't the Wii U?

As for the person that doesn't like Marvel, that's his/her preference. Plenty of people love Marvel....which is why Zen and Marvel came together with a deal to do the tables. Only one Marvel table planned for release this year.
    It is. I don't like Marvel, either. What I noticed is that the person was unwilling to even look at the eleven non-Marvel tables, simply because there are so many Marvel tables.

Oh and lastly, the demand for Nintendo tables is almost overwhelming. It isn't just us here in the forums. The Nintendo community is literally begging for Nintendo themed tables to drop. That would boost overall sales for Nintendo and Zen whilst satisfying the community. So never say never (although you didn't say never). I'm just saying it's still very probable that it could happen.
    The Nintendo community is begging Nintendo for many, many, MANY things that have yet to happen. However now that I really think about it, I guess it might be possible. We've seen Link in Soul Calibur, Mario & Luigi in SSX 3, Nintendo-themed items in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and (last but not least) Nintendo characters in Scribblenauts Unlimited.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for this game and the Wii U version in particular. Right now, the most important thing is consistent support.

Okay, so, after playing the classics pack in its entirety on the Wii U, having previously played it on PlayStation 3 in its original form as well as the Zen Pinball 2 version, I'd have to say... the tables weren't really made for the Zen Pinball 2 engine, that's obvious. I can't explain how, but it seems that it's harder to get a decently high score on these tables in this engine.

Now it might also be because I wasn't really fond of these tables to begin with though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    I'm sorry if my initial impressions of the game sounded too negative. The game is actually a lot of fun, and I've achieved top 5 scores on both Mars and Epic Quest. I've also played most of the demo tables by now, and it seems like all of them are great.

I actually re-downloaded Pinball FX 2 on my 360 for a head-to-head comparison, and I like Zen Pinball 2 a lot more. The interface is designed a lot better and holds more information, and the tables look better and more colorful. The Wii U has often been credited for being able to display very vivid colors, and tables like Epic Quest really show that off.

The only advantage Pinball FX 2 has is its bigger selection of tables, because the core tables from Pinball FX 1+2 as well as Rocky & Bullwinkle, Street Fighter and Ms. 'Splosion Man are missing from the Wii U version. However, the Wii U versions of Earth Defense and Excalibur have the Arcade FX that (AFAIK) are missing from the 360 versions.

I can't compare to Zen Pinball 2 on the PS3 because my PS3 YLOD'ed on me. (Mere days before Ni No Kuni was released in Germany, and it crapped out on me during Okami's final boss battle. )

I think it's a non-issue for the core fanbase, who is focused on getting high scores. But for more casual gamers, table goals are a great way of giving them something to work towards.

I'm not criticizing Zen for this. If the Wii U OS simply doesn't support this feature, there is nothing they can do. I do, however, blame Nintendo for not supporting this feature in the first place, because games that are based around building a DLC library are hardly a new thing, even to Nintendo (Rock Band comes to mind). Even my iPod Touch can do In-App Purchases; why can't the Wii U?

It is. I don't like Marvel, either. What I noticed is that the person was unwilling to even look at the eleven non-Marvel tables, simply because there are so many Marvel tables.

The Nintendo community is begging Nintendo for many, many, MANY things that have yet to happen. However now that I really think about it, I guess it might be possible. We've seen Link in Soul Calibur, Mario & Luigi in SSX 3, Nintendo-themed items in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and (last but not least) Nintendo characters in Scribblenauts Unlimited.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for this game and the Wii U version in particular. Right now, the most important thing is consistent support.
    I didn't take your post as criticism at all. I was just informing you on some things. We really do agree on a lot of aspects. I was just pointing out a few things you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCXJk View Post
    Okay, so, after playing the classics pack in its entirety on the Wii U, having previously played it on PlayStation 3 in its original form as well as the Zen Pinball 2 version, I'd have to say... the tables weren't really made for the Zen Pinball 2 engine, that's obvious. I can't explain how, but it seems that it's harder to get a decently high score on these tables in this engine.

Now it might also be because I wasn't really fond of these tables to begin with though.
    Remember that the older tables was low scoring to begin with. It takes a lot to score pretty high on them. The average score on a table like Shaman would be something like 8 million or something. Even lower with V12. I have to respectfully disagree about them now being made for ZP2. Of course the older tables were made about 5 years ago and have been revamped to complement the current tables. Zen kept basically everything the same except for the physics and some minor things. The tables are much easier now than they were a few years back.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

As much as i am pashontly waiting but now with the news that zp2 is going to release three starwars tables and this is an exception please hury up and get the us version up and running. i really want to play the starwars tables and i was just drooling over the pict. they have on there face book page. so please i am begging here get the us version up and running soon.

I got excited when I read this, but I think the writer is making an assumption. I looked through the press release that was attached to his article and it didn't state anything that we don't already know and I didn't see Wii U listed anywhere in the press release.

I'm sure he is correct in saying that eventually it will come to this system, but when is a totally different matter.

I got excited when I read this, but I think the writer is making an assumption. I looked through the press release that was attached to his article and it didn't state anything that we don't already know and I didn't see Wii U listed anywhere in the press release.

I'm sure he is correct in saying that eventually it will come to this system, but when is a totally different matter.
    According to Barbie, "The force is strong with the Wii U!" Her words. Meaning it will come out on the Wii U soon. No date as of yet.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

According to Barbie, "The force is strong with the Wii U!" Her words. Meaning it will come out on the Wii U soon. No date as of yet.
    Well, there haven't been dates provided on any of them have there? In the press release Wii U isn't listed and Barbie stated that it was because it hasn't been confirmed. I agree with you that it will more than likely come out on the Wii U at some point (said that in my original post) but Zen has never confirmed that beyond Barbie's statement. The article was written (at least I feel it was) as if stating this is now a certainty. I would imagine if that was the case when she has been asked multiple times Barbie would say, "Yes, it is coming on the Wii U. I'm updating the blog to reflect that." instead of how she is responding. I believe she is pretty confident that it will be on the Wii U, but she is weighing her words. Looking back she would usually say regarding the ZP2 release that "We are hoping for a December...January....February release" and not "It will be out in February" I seriously doubt we could get her to say that we will see a NA release of ZP2 in February, even if she felt there was no reason we wouldn't.

This article is confirming something that hasn't been confirmed, at least that is how I took it.
    Last edited by Everly; 02-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.

I believe Neil also said the same thing on Twitter everly so don't worry to much about it.

As for my poor 3ds I believe these tables will get so complicated that the 3ds won't be able to run the newer tables thus I will never see anything that's been made in the last year or two on the system. I just want something as it seems something new always comes up and just pushes the 3ds dlc to the side every time. It's like that game you tell yourself you will always get back to and finish but the new flashier game always comes out and takes your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech101 View Post
    the new flashier game always comes out and takes your time!
    I'm still waiting for the new flashier game.

Remember that the older tables was low scoring to begin with. It takes a lot to score pretty high on them. The average score on a table like Shaman would be something like 8 million or something. Even lower with V12. I have to respectfully disagree about them now being made for ZP2. Of course the older tables were made about 5 years ago and have been revamped to complement the current tables. Zen kept basically everything the same except for the physics and some minor things. The tables are much easier now than they were a few years back.
    I think you've taken my comment out of context. I specifically said that the ZP1 tables were obviously not made for the ZP2 engine, and that it showed, meaning, using the physics of of ZP2 on the ZP1 tables, it just seems or feels different and harder.

Well, there haven't been dates provided on any of them have there? In the press release Wii U isn't listed and Barbie stated that it was because it hasn't been confirmed. I agree with you that it will more than likely come out on the Wii U at some point (said that in my original post) but Zen has never confirmed that beyond Barbie's statement. The article was written (at least I feel it was) as if stating this is now a certainty. I would imagine if that was the case when she has been asked multiple times Barbie would say, "Yes, it is coming on the Wii U. I'm updating the blog to reflect that." instead of how she is responding. I believe she is pretty confident that it will be on the Wii U, but she is weighing her words. Looking back she would usually say regarding the ZP2 release that "We are hoping for a December...January....February release" and not "It will be out in February" I seriously doubt we could get her to say that we will see a NA release of ZP2 in February, even if she felt there was no reason we wouldn't.

This article is confirming something that hasn't been confirmed, at least that is how I took it.
    We didn't list it as a platform in the original announcement because it wasn't a launch platform. It will come to Wii U, just not right away when we launch Star Wars Pinball. We also said in the original announcement that we'd "announce additional platforms later on." Also - like I've said before, you can't always trust the articles you find, I've seen multiple articles this week "confirming" that Star Wars Pinball is not coming to any Nintendo platforms. We couldn't officially announce that DLC was coming this month for a game that isn't even released yet. We will make an announcement once we know more details like release dates, pricing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    We also said in the original announcement that we'd "announce additional platforms later on."
    I guess I missed where Zen announced that the Wii U was an additional platform. I know "the force is strong with Nintendo" could be taken that way, but I didn't realize that was confirmation. Does the fact that you used the word "Nintendo" as opposed to "Wii U" also confirm that these would come to the 3DS?

I think you've taken my comment out of context. I specifically said that the ZP1 tables were obviously not made for the ZP2 engine, and that it showed, meaning, using the physics of of ZP2 on the ZP1 tables, it just seems or feels different and harder.
    For you it may be, but I found the ZP1 tables on ZP2 to be much more easier now. I loved the improved physics and I personally couldn't stand ZP1's annoying ball spin glitch. Sure a couple shots in NGS2 and Shaman got harder on ZP2, but completing the actual missions in Shaman are a breeze now. I lost count at how many times I failed the Flood and Earthquake missions in Shaman on the ZP1 version. Yet, on ZP2 I can easily complete them. It's just a pain to hit the two side holes now, but it's a much better trade off IMO.

I guess I missed where Zen announced that the Wii U was an additional platform. I know "the force is strong with Nintendo" could be taken that way, but I didn't realize that was confirmation. Does the fact that you used the word "Nintendo" as opposed to "Wii U" also confirm that these would come to the 3DS?
    It's been made perfectly clear for well over a year now, that Zen wants all of their tables (with exception of a couple of exclusives) to be on all platforms. It's not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when'.

If you see a table announced for both the 360 and PS3, then you know it will eventually show up on the other platforms. Barbie (Bobby), Solitude (Neil), Crackervizzo (Mel) and even the big cheese himself (Zsolt) have all been saying that ever since they released out the game on the iOS/Android.
    Last edited by shogun00; 02-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    It's been made perfectly clear for well over a year now, that Zen wants all of their tables (with exception of a couple of exclusives) to be on all platforms. It's not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when'.
    Sorry, I'm pretty new to Zen so I don't know how they operate. Just trying to figure out what is fact.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to Zen so I don't know how they operate. Just trying to figure out what is fact.
    No need to apologize. I made that post, because it didn't feel like Barbie was explaining well enough.

Feel free to ask me. I've been around here for a while and I'm pretty good at remembering old posts and news stories.
    Last edited by shogun00; 02-07-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Feel free to ask me. I've been around here for a while and I'm pretty good at remembering old posts and news stories.
    Great, so will the Star Wars tables be coming to 3DS?

Great, so will the Star Wars tables be coming to 3DS?
    Short answer is yes. I can definitely see them releasing a few of the Star Wars tables to the 3DS. I'm not sure if they will be able to port the really complex ones (especially the ones by Deep) over to the platform, since they require a lot of processing power. However, like I said before. There goal is to have all of their tables available on all Zen Pinball platforms (except of exclusives of course).

The real question that should be asked is when? And how much will they will need to downgrade the tables for them to work properly on the 3DS?

The real question that should be asked is when?
    Well, I have been here long enough to know that is a pointless question. If there was an answer it would be in the blog/twitter/facebook.

Well, I have been here long enough to know that is a pointless question. If there was an answer it would be in the blog/twitter/facebook.
    Thanks for asking! I know you did it just for me! :'(

It may not make sense to you now, but there are very good reasons why we do things the way we do them. Yes, we do have plans to bring it to 3DS and Wii U. No ETA as of yet.

No need to apologize. I made that post, because it didn't feel like Barbie was explaining well enough.

I plainly said "It will come to Wii U, just not right away." How is that not "explaining well enough?"

I plainly said "It will come to Wii U, just not right away."
    If you just said that, then it wouldn't have created any confusion.

Instead, you said the following:
    We didn't list it as a platform in the original announcement because it wasn't a launch platform. It will come to Wii U, just not right away when we launch Star Wars Pinball. We also said in the original announcement that we'd "announce additional platforms later on." Also - like I've said before, you can't always trust the articles you find, I've seen multiple articles this week "confirming" that Star Wars Pinball is not coming to any Nintendo platforms. We couldn't officially announce that DLC was coming this month for a game that isn't even released yet. We will make an announcement once we know more details like release dates, pricing, etc.
    The second sentence you said it's coming out on the Wii-U, but you caused some confusion when you were trying to explain your original blog post with the later sentences. I'm not trying to offend you or anything Barbie. I just know from my own experience that some people just want a quick and simple answer and not a long explanation. I really suggest separating your answer and the explanation with a line break next time.

Word of advise, don't forget the KISS rule.

How is that not "explaining well enough?"
    I hate it when I can't think of the right term and use a substitute that can be read the wrong way. Stupid dyslexia!
    Last edited by shogun00; 02-07-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks for asking! I know you did it just for me! :'(
    I actually did. I don't have a 3DS, but I feels your pain of waiting.

It may not make sense to you now, but there are very good reasons why we do things the way we do them. Yes, we do have plans to bring it to 3DS and Wii U. No ETA as of yet.
    I'm not feeling like I need to know WHY you do things. I honestly, from the bottom of my heart with no other earthly reason for saying this, did not understand that your replies involving the force being with Nintendo was to be taken as confirmation that it will be on those systems. One of the first times you made that statement was when the announcement of SWP was made and the person then replied "Does this mean it is?" So at least I feel like I'm not the only one that wasn't 100% clear on what that meant.

I know that sometimes written statements can take on a life other than what was intended, not having the benefit of hearing the tone of voice and facial expression, so I'll say that I'm typing this half-way laughing, just so no one is coming away thinking anything else.

With regard to the NA release, I've noticed that on Twitter the replies asking about it have gone from "coming soon" on Jan 31 to "hoping to release this month sometime" on Feb 6. I'm still smiling but also sensing a difference.

I actually did. I don't have a 3DS, but I feels your pain of waiting.

I'm not feeling like I need to know WHY you do things. I honestly, from the bottom of my heart with no other earthly reason for saying this, did not understand that your replies involving the force being with Nintendo was to be taken as confirmation that it will be on those systems. One of the first times you made that statement was when the announcement of SWP was made and the person then replied "Does this mean it is?" So at least I feel like I'm not the only one that wasn't 100% clear on what that meant.

I know that sometimes written statements can take on a life other than what was intended, not having the benefit of hearing the tone of voice and facial expression, so I'll say that I'm typing this half-way laughing, just so no one is coming away thinking anything else.

With regard to the NA release, I've noticed that on Twitter the replies asking about it have gone from "coming soon" on Jan 31 to "hoping to release this month sometime" on Feb 6. I'm still smiling but also sensing a difference.
    I was actually told not to confirm anything about Nintendo since we don't even have a time frame, but I knew that would never fly with Nintendo fans

I was actually told not to confirm anything about Nintendo since we don't even have a time frame, but I knew that would never fly with Nintendo fans
    I don't think that is limited to Nintendo fans. If you said your new games could be purchased with Visa, Discover, American Express, or Diners Club it is only natural that people that use Master Card are going to say, "Hey, what the heck?"

You could be like Ubisoft that announces they are making a game for Wii U that was set to be released at the launch, was pushed to Feb/March (can you guys at Zen relate?) and then announce "Hey we are going to make it for PS3 and Xbox too. Oh, and we are going to wait until Sept to release them all." I can hear people saying "Oh Nintendo fans are too crazy and will go bonkers" but I would bet dollar to dime that if the same thing happened the other way around the PS3 or Xbox owners would be crying foul.

Something tells me you won't be holding back the release of Star Wars Pinball from the other platforms until you can get the Nintendo systems ready. To be honest, as much as NoA is dragging their feet getting ZP2 submitted, I wouldn't recommend doing that.
    Last edited by Everly; 02-07-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Something tells me you won't be holding back the release of Star Wars Pinball from the other platforms until you can get the Nintendo systems ready. To be honest, as much as NoA is dragging their feet getting ZP2 submitted, I wouldn't recommend doing that.
    Well no, that's why we have platforms listed for "end of February." We're going to release it as soon as we can to every platform possible.

Frustrating ain't we!

Frustrating ain't we!
    The frustrating part is having so many different platform crowds to cater to. It's just hard to sync up releases in a way that makes everyone feel included.

We're going to release it as soon as we can to every platform possible.
    You did not go to the same business school as the executives at Ubisoft.

You did not go to the same business school as the executives at Ubisoft.
    Haha - I don't know what happened with their Rayman debacle (I assume that is what you're referencing) but I assume it is something beyond their control and they had to make a really tough choice to push the date back that far. What a horrible situation all around.

Haha - I don't know what happened with their Rayman debacle (I assume that is what you're referencing) but I assume it is something beyond their control and they had to make a really tough choice to push the date back that far. What a horrible situation all around.
    According to their Facebook post, they made the decision to delay the Wii U release so they would all be out together. The exact opposite of what you stated earlier that you want to get your games to the individual platforms as soon as they are ready.

According to their Facebook post, they made the decision to delay the Wii U release so they would all be out together. The exact opposite of what you stated earlier that you want to get your games to the individual platforms as soon as they are ready.
    Ahh, that is a tough one. Either make everyone except Nintendo fans mad because they have to wait until fall or push back Wii U version and upset Nintendo fans. Nobody wins either way. Yikes.

*just looked at their forums. Oh. My. Goodness.
    Last edited by BarbieBobomb; 02-07-2013 at 10:40 PM.

This sounds like something EA would do. They want money. But seriously why delay the Wii U version when it's nearly done?!!?

I honestly can understand the fan outrage here with Rayman Legends. But aside from that, I do think that Zen Studios did handle it in a decent way. I don't know if it's a good way, but it's better than to say, "Hey guys, we're going to announce Star Wars tables for all consoles, but because of minor technicalities on Nintendo consoles, we're just going to delay it."

I mean, it didn't stop Skyrim's DLC from getting released on XBox 360, did it?

Also, on another note, I kind of dislike the MiiVerse community of Zen Pinball 2.

Also, on another note, I kind of dislike the MiiVerse community of Zen Pinball 2.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by LumaFan") View Post
    This sounds like something EA would do. They want money. But seriously why delay the Wii U version when it's nearly done?!!?
    I don't know, but my guess is the same reason I see in our community every day:

"This game is out on X platform, why isn't it out on Y platform. THAT'S NOT FAIR."

I think they were just trying to be "fair", but maybe they are having other certification issues they aren't publicizing.

Why is that?
    "It's not free, it's a demo!"

Wait, let me get my Wii U to get some actual quotes. Of course, without their IDs. That would be a huge gonad move.

(On a side note, didn't know Fist of the North Star 2 was released on Wii U recently.)

Never mind, most who STILL complain are French speaking. Can't quote that.

Oh wait, got one.

"Not so much as one completely free, unrestricted table? Poor form."

EDIT: I've seen this comment as well:

"Hot seat games don't count in online ranking. :-("

Is this intentional or a bug? I wouldn't know, because none of my friends or relatives would like to play with me on the PS3.

Well Miiverse is a forum so there will be annoying posts, trolls, etc. Hopefully the once it launches in the USA there will be more people talking about scores.

Plus most people playing on the Wii U may be new to Zen Studios and their pinball offerings. People like us may have played this on other platforms already so we know how everything works.

I honestly can understand the fan outrage here with Rayman Legends. But aside from that, I do think that Zen Studios did handle it in a decent way.
    I agree, it is a tough situation. Then Nintendo made it harder by giving the green light for EU and we are still waiting in NA. Puts Barbie (who had nothing to do with it) in a difficult spot.

Ahh, that is a tough one. Either make everyone except Nintendo fans mad because they have to wait until fall or push back Wii U version and upset Nintendo fans. Nobody wins either way. Yikes.
    I would have went with secret option #3. Release the Wii U game as schedule (keep Nintendo Wii U owner happy) AND release the game on PS3 and Xbox in September (keep those fan bases happy) The PS360 versions won't be ready until September either way so there is no option of releasing it early.

On a different note, a lot has been mentioned about Nintendo fans "craziness" but I challenge Zen to release the remaining Star Wars tables on every platform except PS3 and just see how that goes over.

Funny thing is, and I bet Barbie has read it as well on MiiVerse, but when I a-wait, let me rephrase that, because the original line sounds stupid.

Funny thing is, when I asked about the Street Fighter II Turbo and Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma tables, Barbie explained that they were exclusives. I've heard nobody complain about that being an exclusive. Then again, it's pinball, who, aside from a few creepy dudes and dudettes, plays pinball anymore?

"It's not free, it's a demo!"

Wait, let me get my Wii U to get some actual quotes. Of course, without their IDs. That would be a huge gonad move.

(On a side note, didn't know Fist of the North Star 2 was released on Wii U recently.)

Never mind, most who STILL complain are French speaking. Can't quote that.

Oh wait, got one.

"Not so much as one completely free, unrestricted table? Poor form."

EDIT: I've seen this comment as well:

"Hot seat games don't count in online ranking. :-("

Is this intentional or a bug? I wouldn't know, because none of my friends or relatives would like to play with me on the PS3.
    Nope, multiplayer games don't count.

And yeah - the posts are a bit much right now, I think it should calm down eventually. The Nintendo crowd has never been exposed to a free game + paid DLC, so they are freaking out a bit. I keep getting messages that say "Wow, you don't even play your OWN game? What a great CM you are." Yeah, can't play it if it's not released in NA. *sigh*

On a different note, a lot has been mentioned about Nintendo fans "craziness" but I challenge Zen to release the remaining Star Wars tables on every platform except PS3 and just see how that goes over.
    Oh I never said that craziness was exclusive to Nintendo fans. You missed a lot of the fun last summer when Avengers and Zen Pinball 2 was delayed for PSN. Same goes for 360 players... and even Android/iOS players. You should see some of the fun support emails I get

Let's face it. We're all nuts!

Those Miiverse posts aren't really Zen's fault. Many sites raised wrong expectations when they advertised this game as Free2Play. That's why, in my review of the game, I'm devoting an entire paragraph to explain how this game works and to make it perfectly clear that even without any free tables, this game's bang-for-your-buck-ratio is still five to six times better than those of all other pinball video games ever released in all known video game history. On the PSX, you paid full price for a Pro Pinball game with a single table.

Speaking of news sites raising wrong expectations, I've already seen THREE news sites falsely report that the three Star Wars tables will be released for Wii U at the end of February.

Those Miiverse posts aren't really Zen's fault. Many sites raised wrong expectations when they advertised this game as Free2Play. That's why, in my review of the game, I'm devoting an entire paragraph to explain how this game works and to make it perfectly clear that even without any free tables, this game's bang-for-your-buck-ratio is still five to six times better than those of all other pinball video games ever released in all known video game history. On the PSX, you paid full price for a Pro Pinball game with a single table.

Speaking of news sites raising wrong expectations, I've already seen THREE news sites falsely report that the three Star Wars tables will be released for Wii U at the end of February.
    Yep. Not surprising. That's why I constantly tell people to look at our blog, twitter, facebook or here first. All you have to do is ask

- three tables
    - table themes are The Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    - take on the role of different Star Wars characters
    - compete in online and local hot-seat multiplayer
    - worldwide leaderboards

Heres what I found on GoNintendo.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195746

On a different note, I did not expect the Avengers Chronicles pack to be this fun.

- three tables
    - table themes are The Empire Strikes Back, Boba Fett, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    - take on the role of different Star Wars characters
    - compete in online and local hot-seat multiplayer
    - worldwide leaderboards

Heres what I found on GoNintendo.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195746
    That makes FOUR news sites falsely reporting that these tables will be coming to Wii U.

That makes FOUR news sites falsely reporting that these tables will be coming to Wii U.
    Just to clarify, they are coming to Wii U, just not at launch. They'll be there a bit later on.

Just to clarify, they are coming to Wii U, just not at launch. They'll be there a bit later on.

So that makes the GoNintendo post right.

Wow check this out. So this game is delayed for Wii U and now people go out calling it's ****. Fans are now being butthurt and going too far.

Reminds me of how Xbox and PS3 gamers got so MAD when Bayonetta 2 was announced as an exclusive for Wii U.

So that makes the GoNintendo post right.
    Actually they reported there is local and online multiplayer, which isn't on the Wii U version. So back to being wrong.

Oh I never said that craziness was exclusive to Nintendo fans. You missed a lot of the fun last summer when Avengers and Zen Pinball 2 was delayed for PSN. Same goes for 360 players... and even Android/iOS players. You should see some of the fun support emails I get
    Oh and don't forget about the Zen Classic pack going to the 360 last December.

Oh and don't forget about the Zen Classic pack going to the 360 last December.
    We need to start coming up with names for all these scandals - just to keep track

Well dang this thread was busy. I'm sorry I missed it. I was too busy yesterday....playing Sly Cooper. LOL I would have responded to some questions, but they have already been answered. (Thanks Shogun and Barbie)

Yeah that whole Xbox getting those PS3 classics was a real riot. Even in other forums! LOL
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

i have see worse ones than that over a game. but yea hard core fans will voice there opinions come to think of it i been in a few of those game riots.
    Last edited by MK2017; 02-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.

We need to start coming up with names for all these scandals - just to keep track
    Should we start naming these scandals "Troll Bait" followed by a number?

Wow check this out. So this game is delayed for Wii U and now people go out calling it's ****. Fans are now being butthurt and going too far.

Reminds me of how Xbox and PS3 gamers got so MAD when Bayonetta 2 was announced as an exclusive for Wii U.
    Except both sides are completely in their rights to complain here. Wii U users have already been waiting six whole months for the release of this game, it being delayed once before, and now the game gets delayed back to September. Many of those gamers already won't be able to purchase this game anyway. Why?

Grand Theft Auto V.

And aside from that, it's really a kick in the nads for the developers who rushed to get the game done in time, only for it to get delayed again.

Bayonetta fans on the other hand also had the right to complain, because, seriously, how would you react if Kingdom Hearts 3 suddenly became Wii U exclusive, or if your favorite game now only came out on the one console you did not have, and which also previously didn't have the franchise?

Now, Bayonetta fans are basically SOL here, as Nintendo is Platinum's publisher here, so unless Nintendo decides to just publish the game for other consoles, which probably would be big hugeness and awesomesauce on their part (seriously, do it Nintendo, of course, after a time period), PS3 and XBox 360 users will never get this game.

Sure, perhaps one day the other consoles will eventually get it, but Platinum would need to buy back the rights to their game.

Except both sides are completely in their rights to complain here. Wii U users have already been waiting six whole months for the release of this game, it being delayed once before, and now the game gets delayed back to September. Many of those gamers already won't be able to purchase this game anyway. Why?

Grand Theft Auto V.

And aside from that, it's really a kick in the nads for the developers who rushed to get the game done in time, only for it to get delayed again.

Bayonetta fans on the other hand also had the right to complain, because, seriously, how would you react if Kingdom Hearts 3 suddenly became Wii U exclusive, or if your favorite game now only came out on the one console you did not have, and which also previously didn't have the franchise?

Now, Bayonetta fans are basically SOL here, as Nintendo is Platinum's publisher here, so unless Nintendo decides to just publish the game for other consoles, which probably would be big hugeness and awesomesauce on their part (seriously, do it Nintendo, of course, after a time period), PS3 and XBox 360 users will never get this game.

Sure, perhaps one day the other consoles will eventually get it, but Platinum would need to buy back the rights to their game.
    Well to be fair neither Sony or Microsoft didn't want to step up and publish the game. So Nintendo came to the rescue. What's even more cool is that the previous Bayonetta didn't even come out for the Wii. So Bayonetta fans can be upset, but not at Nintendo. It's not their fault the other folks didn't want to publish that awesome game. Now Wii U fans can enjoy it. If Nintendo did let it go to the other consoles...it would really earn my respect as we know they aren't in it for the money. At the same time I wouldn't blame them if they kept it exclusive to Nintendo. They are the ones that funded this project...not the others.

Bottom line here.....get all consoles. That way you don't miss out!
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

Bottom line here.....get all consoles. That way you don't miss out!
    That does seem to be the option that solves the issue. I wonder if local governments will start building roads that are exclusive to GM or Ford vehicles. Then if you really want to take that road to get where you are going, you just had to buy that make of car.

That does seem to be the option that solves the issue. I wonder if local governments will start building roads that are exclusive to GM or Ford vehicles. Then if you really want to take that road to get where you are going, you just had to buy that make of car.
    Touche Everly....touche!
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

verry true. i looked on the ubisoft on the wiivers yesterday and the complants are still going on and some of them wernt too pretty to read.

verry true. i looked on the ubisoft on the wiivers yesterday and the complants are still going on and some of them wernt too pretty to read.
    I would be pretty sore too if I were them. The devs bust their behinds working for 6 months straight to get the Wii U version for Rayman Legends out for February, just for the higher ups to turn around and delay it so that the PS3/360 versions can be done for Sept.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

I would be pretty sore too if I were them. The devs bust their behinds working for 6 months straight to get the Wii U version for Rayman Legends out for February, just for the higher ups to turn around and delay it so that the PS3/360 versions can be done for Sept.
    Yeah, I honestly think it was a calculated move. If there is truth to the story that Microsoft won't allow a game on 360 unless it comes out first or at the same time as the others, then Ubisoft must have weighed it out and figured it was worth upsetting the much smaller Wii U population. Right now they are in the heart of the storm. We will see in September if it was a wise business decision or not.

With both The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Grand Theft Auto V in the same time slot, I'd be more inclined to say no.

With both The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Grand Theft Auto V in the same time slot, I'd be more inclined to say no.
    +1 They will lose their Wii U user base if GTA 5 makes an appearance for the Wii U. No doubt about it. Wind Waker HD is also a huge game that people wanted to see in HD. Any Zelda game for that matter. MS is known for tactics like making others wait or having exclusive stuff first before others.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

What I really find odd is that there is a huge anticipation for the American release of Zen Pinball 2, considering pinball games are pretty much niche.

Also, I do hope American users are more sensible. The amounts of "It's not free, it's a demo" and "I was too lazy to read through the instructions to notice I also need the trials to play the tables" is a little bit too much to my taste.

Seriously, the first thing I did after purchasing was downloading the trials. You know, because it told me so during purchase. It's right before the "You need Zen Pinball 2 to use this content" screen, and after the "Are you sure you want to purchase these products" page. You even have to press "Accept" before you can see the aforementioned "You need Zen Pinball 2" screen, it's not even fine print.

But meh, perhaps it's because I'm already 27 and have enough time on my hands to do things and things. I need some sleep.

Well most of us here are already experience ZP2 players, so we know what to expect. You have to remember that this is the first time Nintendo has ever had ZP2, so a lot of them were confused by the "free" term. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but I would have known that it wasn't "free" per se. Just the format is free. I knew that even before ZP2 dropped for the PS3. Zen didn't say anything about the tables being free. Otherwise it would have said: "Zen Pinball 2 is a free download, plus an added bonus of our Epic Quest table...absolutely free of charge" or something along those lines. Well I digress. No need to go further on about it.
    PSN ID- Rafie27
    Gamertag- RAFIE82
    YouTube- Rafie Crocheron
    Nintendo ID- Rafie82

What I really find odd is that there is a huge anticipation for the American release of Zen Pinball 2, considering pinball games are pretty much niche.
    Well I am definitely looking forward to it regardless, but I think the fact that there isn't much out there for Wii U owners is fueling the fire. Wish NoA would stop dragging their feet and at least give us a release date.

Also, I do hope American users are more sensible.

Seriously, the first thing I did after purchasing was downloading the trials. You know, because it told me so during purchase.
    Ah, so you are one of those guys that reads the instructions huh? Don't see to many of those any more. Most just keep hitting the "Continue" or "Accept" button without reading anything, then it doesn't work and they are confused.

i am one of those instruction readers too but only if i get a new toy and can't figure out where i am going wrong while setting it up.

i am one of those instruction readers too but only if i get a new toy and can't figure out where i am going wrong while setting it up.
    Well, after all instructions are just the manufacturer's opinion of how it works.

It's not that easy. It took Kojima 2 years to get the HD upgrades done for the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. The PS3 development kit has a tool that reduces the cost to make one, but it's still quite time consuming to make it.

I'm surprised that you guys are surprised. All you have to do is look at TV series on Blu-ray. If the TV series was made in HD or it's was from a film source, then it's very easy to do a transfer onto Blu-ray. If the series was made digitally in SD, then they have to do an upscale. Upscaled shows never look that good compared to native HD shows.

Heck even Blu-ray players have the ability to upscale DVDs to HD and downscale Blu-ray discs to SD. Again, an upscaled DVD is inferior to a native HD Blu-ray. However, a downscaled Blu-ray looks the same as what it would look like playing the DVD counterpart.
    When you're talking about code working on a weaker processor I'm not sure video transfer to better medium is relevent. What would be though are computer games. Look at how long old games can be played on increasingly better tech and how many really old games are still available to play. Then think back to all the people who had relativley new machines and couldn't run Crysis when it first came out. Or try getting any new pc game to run on five year old hardware.
    I'm not sure if you've played on 3DS, but having one myself I think the slow performance, frame rate, and features that had to be cut on tables testify to it being harder all by itself.

A general pinball note here - I recently read that, in the last year orders for physical pinball machines from Stern has gone up by 30%.

In addition, there's a demand for pinball machines in the UK with a new company starting up there.

One theory I've seen tossed around is that we're actually due for a pinball revival in general. The majority of the 1990's pinball tables that are still in circulation at commercial venues around the world are now 15-20 years old and simply put, are wearing out. When they get removed or sold off due to lack of functionality, there's nothing to replace them from retail amusement machine vendors.

Besides that, the resurgence of video game pinball may have created a slow burn. Farsight deserved credit for working to preserve classic machines, but to their credit Zen has sat here for five years now slowly grinding the market, keeping pinball talked about with regular table releases. Maybe it's not surprising awareness is increasing.

I see your point, but don't you think it's a little extreme to compare something essential that we pay taxes for to a luxury item like a video game? Also - I'm very curious as to why people assume that each console should inherently get the same releases. Why is this? As a dev, we try to release all of our tables onto each platform when it makes sense to and is financially feasible. I feel like maybe we've spoiled some players by doing this and now they expect it from every company.

As for Nintendo, why are we all so shocked that there aren't many games for the Wii U right after launch? Looking back at the first year of the 3DS, I feel like we (gamers, not devs) should have known better than to expect Nintendo to deliver much this early on with Wii U. They haven't had a great track record for launch games, if memory serves, their original Japan launch of the NES only had three games. Three. It took a couple more years to come to NA and even then the list wasn't huge. I realize this was the mid 80s, but I think it does say something about how they time releases.

Also, I do hope American users are more sensible. The amounts of "It's not free, it's a demo" and "I was too lazy to read through the instructions to notice I also need the trials to play the tables" is a little bit too much to my taste.

Seriously, the first thing I did after purchasing was downloading the trials. You know, because it told me so during purchase. It's right before the "You need Zen Pinball 2 to use this content" screen, and after the "Are you sure you want to purchase these products" page. You even have to press "Accept" before you can see the aforementioned "You need Zen Pinball 2" screen, it's not even fine print.

Well most of us here are already experience ZP2 players, so we know what to expect. You have to remember that this is the first time Nintendo has ever had ZP2, so a lot of them were confused by the "free" term. Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but I would have known that it wasn't "free" per se. Just the format is free. I knew that even before ZP2 dropped for the PS3. Zen didn't say anything about the tables being free. Otherwise it would have said: "Zen Pinball 2 is a free download, plus an added bonus of our Epic Quest table...absolutely free of charge" or something along those lines. Well I digress. No need to go further on about it.
    Yep. People see "free" and ignore everything else and then get mad because they didn't read the directions and aren't used to Nintendo offering a free download w/paid DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Toy View Post
    A general pinball note here - I recently read that, in the last year orders for physical pinball machines from Stern has gone up by 30%.

In addition, there's a demand for pinball machines in the UK with a new company starting up there.

One theory I've seen tossed around is that we're actually due for a pinball revival in general. The majority of the 1990's pinball tables that are still in circulation at commercial venues around the world are now 15-20 years old and simply put, are wearing out. When they get removed or sold off due to lack of functionality, there's nothing to replace them from retail amusement machine vendors.

Besides that, the resurgence of video game pinball may have created a slow burn. Farsight deserved credit for working to preserve classic machines, but to their credit Zen has sat here for five years now slowly grinding the market, keeping pinball talked about with regular table releases. Maybe it's not surprising awareness is increasing.

I saw that as well and even posted the article I read in the general forum. Kind of crazy how home video game systems took down arcades, but now video game pinball is pushing the real pinball machine market back up!