Thread: Can't play local multiplay because player two never works?

Default Can't play local multiplay because player two never works?

When me and a friend want to play together locally, Player 2 never works, under any configuration, on any PS3 I've tried with multiple accounts, with many controllers.

We pick local multiplay, split-screen, and it doesn't matter what side Player 2 is on, or even if you switch controllers, the flippers do not work at all for Player 2. It's really frustrating since me and my wife have a love of pinball.

As I've mentioned, I've tried on multiple PS3's, even at friends' places. It never works. Do people just not play enough local Multiplay, or am I doing something wrong?

I've noticed this on all tables for Zen Pinball 2, and I don't understand why I can't find any posts in search about this. It is a glaring problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ouTPhaze View Post
    When me and a friend want to play together locally, Player 2 never works, under any configuration, on any PS3 I've tried with multiple accounts, with many controllers.

We pick local multiplay, split-screen, and it doesn't matter what side Player 2 is on, or even if you switch controllers, the flippers do not work at all for Player 2. It's really frustrating since me and my wife have a love of pinball.

As I've mentioned, I've tried on multiple PS3's, even at friends' places. It never works. Do people just not play enough local Multiplay, or am I doing something wrong?

I've noticed this on all tables for Zen Pinball 2, and I don't understand why I can't find any posts in search about this. It is a glaring problems.
    I've never heard of this happening, but I'll send the report to the team. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    I've never heard of this happening, but I'll send the report to the team. Thanks!
    Thanks for the reply, I would love to get this figured out, me and my wife are big Pinball buffs, and it worked great when we first got Zen Pinball 2, and it works fine in Zen Pinball.

I've noticed that occasionally Player 2 can use his/her flippers until either player uses his/her Plunger, though.

I just want to confirm this issue, it's reproducable on our PS3 (Superslim). And this is really a pity, the split-screen multi mode looks like a lot of fun. It would be really nice to get this bug fixed in a future update.

Apart from this Zen Pinball 2 is really great, especially in 3D.

same problem here. ... I can play 2 player hotseat with 2 joysticks but no split-screen on PS3

I can confirm this. I just tried it out today and once I pressed the start/launch button on controller 2, the face buttons and shoulder buttons are disabled. Only the two analog sticks and d-pad are functioning. Funny thing is that the flippers work fine before I pressed the start/launch button (that shouldn't be happening). It looks like the encoding in this mode is backwards (flippers enabled before start, disabled after start) for player 2.

It appears that the recent update may be the culprit, because this mode was working fine for me on version 1.01.
    Last edited by shogun00; 02-09-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the reports everyone!

Default Same Problem

I would just like to report I am having the same problem. The local multi-player was a selling point when I bought the game, so I am hoping the issue gets resolved in an update soon.

ok i borrowed a friends controller and tried this out and although the flippers seem to work fine for player two the nudges did not work right, now i also tried switching controllers as well as switching left and right windows and still the second controller (player two) was not registering the nudges its either a slight delay or 30% of the time i flick the thumb stick and it does not nudge at all, so it may seem fine to some and not others, but there is definitely something fishy going on with player two on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidShark View Post
    ok i borrowed a friends controller and tried this out and although the flippers seem to work fine for player two the nudges did not work right, now i also tried switching controllers as well as switching left and right windows and still the second controller (player two) was not registering the nudges its either a slight delay or 30% of the time i flick the thumb stick and it does not nudge at all, so it may seem fine to some and not others, but there is definitely something fishy going on with player two on my end.
    Question! Are you using default controls?

I'm trying to see if I can find a work around.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Question! Are you using default controls?

I'm trying to see if I can find a work around.
    i know for sure that i use the left thumb stick for nudging that way going from TPA and back to Zen does not throw me off ill check if i changed anything else in a bit.

i know for sure that i use the left thumb stick for nudging that way going from TPA and back to Zen does not throw me off ill check if i changed anything else in a bit.
    The nudging in ZP2 is the left stick by default.

The nudging in ZP2 is the left stick by default.
    my bad i used to use right but when i got tpa i went back to default the only thing different is chat window is small and i turned off pop up score Even Tho it doesn't Bloody! Work!

my bad i used to use right but when i got tpa i went back to default the only thing different is chat window is small and i turned off pop up score Even Tho it doesn't Bloody! Work!
    OK! My flipper controls are no longer the default. I wonder if that might be causing the problem.

I'll experiment a little bit later and see what I can dig up. I find it odd, that it works fine for you (sans the nudging), while it isn't for the others (including myself).

There was an Zen Pinball update today on my PS3 but the multiplayer issue isn't solved.
    IOS : koencomics PS3 : Koen_C

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    There was an Zen Pinball update today on my PS3 but the multiplayer issue isn't solved.
    if you haven't played for a bit that update was from several weeks ago i think we are on v1.03

OK! My flipper controls are no longer the default. I wonder if that might be causing the problem.

I'll experiment a little bit later and see what I can dig up. I find it odd, that it works fine for you (sans the nudging), while it isn't for the others (including myself).
    one other thing @shogun00 i did a reinstall of zen 2 after v1.02 i forget why but i thought i'd add that since i have to think of anything different i did to make the situation different ..

That's strange, RabidShark. I play ZenPinball every day, just like the doctor subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    That's strange, RabidShark. I play ZenPinball every day, just like the doctor subscribed.
    Do you live in Europe by any chance? The updates usually pop up at different times between US and Europe.

Yep, Belgium

Hmmm thats strange because I have an original "fatty" PS3 and have never had any issues with local multi-player (other than a couple of Star Wars table which I have an open thread in that forum).

My wife and I have played tons of local split screen multiplayer and never had any issues on my PS3. Hope this gets fixed for you.

Default Same issue, has a resolution been suggested yet ?

Is there a suggested fix for this yet? I'm having the exact same issue. Single player has no issues, both controllers confirmed working, but the moment split screen is attempted controller 2 can't control the flippers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BPaulling View Post
    Is there a suggested fix for this yet? I'm having the exact same issue. Single player has no issues, both controllers confirmed working, but the moment split screen is attempted controller 2 can't control the flippers at all.
    Question! Is the controller layout set to the default in the options?

I keep on meaning to try this out, but I keep on forgetting to do so. My theory is that if you change the controller layout, it won't apply to controller 2 and it just locks up. This would explain why it's not working for some and working fine for others. It was working fine for me at first, but stopped working when I checked it a couple months ago. During that time, I changed the flipper controls from the original defaults.

Question! Is the controller layout set to the default in the options?

I keep on meaning to try this out, but I keep on forgetting to do so. My theory is that if you change the controller layout, it won't apply to controller 2 and it just locks up. This would explain why it's not working for some and working fine for others. It was working fine for me at first, but stopped working when I checked it a couple months ago. During that time, I changed the flipper controls from the original defaults.
    In my case all controls are at their default values

Default Something worked

In my case all controls are at their default values
    As a test I switched my controls to R1 L1/R2 L2 then back to the default. Split screen worked (both controllers operating) after that.

As a test I switched my controls to R1 L1/R2 L2 then back to the default. Split screen worked (both controllers operating) after that.
    Good! It looks like there is something goofy going on, but it appears selecting "default" for the controls fixes the problem. I'll try that tonight (if I remember) and see if that fixes the problem on my end.

Angry Same here.

I also have this problem and it's driving me mad.
    Is there any word of a fix with this? This is just one of many bugs I've encountered since I bought this game last week, but this particular bug is really, really bad.
    Add me on PSN - SaferL
    Be sure to let me know you're from the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by SaferL View Post

I also have this problem and it's driving me mad.
    Is there any word of a fix with this? This is just one of many bugs I've encountered since I bought this game last week, but this particular bug is really, really bad.
    Did you try remapping the controls? I had someone last week with the same issue and they said remapping the controls solved the issue. Let me know if this does not work.

selecting "default" for the controls fixed the problem for me too.