Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lord of the Rings Pinball table

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default Lord of the Rings Pinball table

    Please maybe release a Lord of the Rings RPG Pinball table

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nekro Neko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Won't happen, Stern have the rights to that real life table and only Farsight look like the only ones who may be allowed to recreate it. However, The Hobbit license hasn't been taken to my knowledge.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    Won't happen, Stern have the rights to that real life table and only Farsight look like the only ones who may be allowed to recreate it. However, The Hobbit license hasn't been taken to my knowledge.

    The Hobbit license Has already been taken by a company called Jersey Jack. It's slated for a 2014 release based on the whole Hobbit trilogy. They're a new company in pinball design I think. They have made a wizard of Oz table which I've heard is pretty good.

    Found some preliminary shots of the table base http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthr...leased-artwork

    That said we might see FS do this table as it is one of the top 10 tables out there now. I love it but the one I was able to play on is gone. With the already successful Kickstarter events with Twilight Zone and Star Trek the Next Generation it could happen. The only downside to Stern tables are they are entirely based on Movie/TV ip so license costs can give them trouble to bring to the video pinball masses.

  4. #4
    Senior Member MarkItZeroSmoky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    197

    Default

    That doesn't mean zen won't be able to do an original table, after all, there are real Star Wars tables. (wishfull thinking ) and from what I read, no ones happy about TZ kickstarter program, because the kickstarters didn't get their dload code till a day or 2 after the table was released. I'd be mad too....if I pay'd months ago for a table and everyone who didn't kick in got to play before me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkItZeroSmoky View Post
    That doesn't mean zen won't be able to do an original table, after all, there are real Star Wars tables. (wishfull thinking ) and from what I read, no ones happy about TZ kickstarter program, because the kickstarters didn't get their dload code till a day or 2 after the table was released. I'd be mad too....if I pay'd months ago for a table and everyone who didn't kick in got to play before me.
    Oh Yeah I should have mentioned that. There are real tables based on the Star Wars license. Zen is able to do some original titles etc.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekro Neko View Post
    Won't happen, Stern have the rights to that real life table and only Farsight look like the only ones who may be allowed to recreate it. However, The Hobbit license hasn't been taken to my knowledge.
    Is that a joke on what would be an instant seller, how hard is to obtain the rights? It never use to be an issue before the Movie trilogy, there where many rpg games even afterwards from many companies. Is there now a monoply on what Lord The Rings content can be made into a video game? Why base a game on a Movie and not the book

    Honestly WTF royalties to whom?

    Shame though it would make money

  7. #7

    Default

    The rights to the works of Tolkien are owned by his estate, so the executor of the estate must approve any derivative works. I think the estate have become more protective of rights after some quite bad games in the last decade.

    It would be nice to see a series of tables though. The Stern version is extremely well done, with a multiball mode for each of the books/movies. I don't think anyone would be unhappy if Zen could make a tetralogy of tables, and I'm guessing it would cost less than the Star Wars license.

  8. #8
    Senior Member snakeman07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiralfox View Post
    The rights to the works of Tolkien are owned by his estate, so the executor of the estate must approve any derivative works. I think the estate have become more protective of rights after some quite bad games in the last decade.

    It would be nice to see a series of tables though. The Stern version is extremely well done, with a multiball mode for each of the books/movies. I don't think anyone would be unhappy if Zen could make a tetralogy of tables, and I'm guessing it would cost less than the Star Wars license.
    Yeah, I'm sure they are pretty tight with the licenses nowadays, especially with those gambling machines that had LotR stuff on them that was not authorized. or so I remember.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Disgusting that now more then ever there is the hesitation and corruption of that redtape behind this, there really wasn't much prior to the Movie Trilogy.

    As an author logically he would have wanted his work celebrated and relived so that in awareness more people then turn to his creation and literature.

    When creating a video game of pinball effectively you can and only would be using the names and places of characters on that table not much more would be an infringement to copyright. Unlike a standalone RPG game, which there have been so many of them and your right most have been complete and utter pants by comparison. With pinball there is no need to make three tables, one table would be sufficent.

    Sad that, that profit is corrupted now in saying what can be created and dismissed. The author hasn't got any say in it. No disrespest intended to him the greatess fantasy authour who still one century on. Holds the number one stop on most literature reviews. Stikes me as absolutely absurd that he cannot be celebrated without somebody turning his work for the wrong motives, surely the more reliving it the better for his name.

    I understand your points though which are unfortunate by any logic
    Last edited by And33y; 02-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by And33y View Post
    Disgusting that now more then ever there is the hesitation and corruption of that redtape behind this, there really wasn't much prior to the Movie Trilogy.

    As an author logically he would have wanted his work celebrated and relived so that in awareness more people then turn to his creation and literature.
    While I don't want to debate the ethics or economics of copyright law, I have to say that I disagree with you. The estate is run by members of his family, whom I would think have more of an interest in preserving his literary stature than anyone else. Generally, the profit motive is just as much for someone to purchase a license as it is for someone to sell it. Corruption or impure motive has nothing to do with it. If anything, licensing everything and anything can cheapen the merit of the original work.

    I mean, after all, I don't see anyone clamoring for say, a Steinbeck pinball series, nor can I see how one would actually increase one's appreciation of East of Eden. Although, if Zen made it, I'd buy it.

    What do you say, Zen? Steinbeck? Hemingway? Faulkner? Could be a blockbuster package.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiralfox View Post

    What do you say, Zen? Steinbeck? Hemingway? Faulkner? Could be a blockbuster package.
    As a literature major, I would love to see this happen, but we live in a Stephenie Meyer world. Yuck.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Decade360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Now my brain is racing with thoughts of how Orwell's "1984" could be made into a great table.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiralfox View Post
    While I don't want to debate the ethics or economics of copyright law, I have to say that I disagree with you. The estate is run by members of his family, whom I would think have more of an interest in preserving his literary stature than anyone else. Generally, the profit motive is just as much for someone to purchase a license as it is for someone to sell it. Corruption or impure motive has nothing to do with it. If anything, licensing everything and anything can cheapen the merit of the original work.

    I mean, after all, I don't see anyone clamoring for say, a Steinbeck pinball series, nor can I see how one would actually increase one's appreciation of East of Eden. Although, if Zen made it, I'd buy it.

    What do you say, Zen? Steinbeck? Hemingway? Faulkner? Could be a blockbuster package.
    Cmon now, I don't want to debate. However the fact is they granted licenses freely prior to the Movie Triliogy. There where hundreds of games using Lord of the RINGS name. Now they seem to restrict that same privilege granting certain rights to those who they deem appropriate. With pinball what exactly can be an infringement of copyright apart from using names places events from. Cannot really get it wrong unless of course you add other names and events alongside which have nothing to do with your recreation. How then on a pinball table, does this cheapen Tolkien's literature? I can only assume it would make people aware. However legalities corrupt that purity by meriting that this license is granted to another pinball company so if you want it, it now costs more. Or whatever the issues they have little or absolutely nothing to do with the author literature and celebrating his work. The motive is purely profit.

    On a side note a Jungle Book table would be awesome

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •