Thread: Is Internet Connection required to play previously purchased/downloaded tables??

Default Is Internet Connection required to play previously purchased/downloaded tables?

Please let me know if I have a bug going on. I am on Windows 8 and had no issue getting Pinball FX2 base game from the Windows Store. I then purchased one add-on table so far, Marvel Avengers. This of course required Internet Access. Marvel Avengers plays fine and it shows I own it along with Mars. However, I am finding that if I exit the game, for example after a reboot of the PC, when I come back in if I am not connected to the Internet, it shows the large Icon for Marvel Avengers but is offering that I "Buy" it. If I don't reconnect to the internet I only get a time limited trial. If I reconnect to the Internet again, I do not have this issue. It then no longer says Buy it, it checks my profile Online (I think with XBOX Live) and I am able to play Marvel without time limitations. I contacted Microsoft XBOX support. They were not able to answer my question and gave me contact information for Windows 8 Microsoft support. Microsoft XBOX Support did say (when I asked) that if I was instead on an XBOX 360 platform, I would not need internet connection to play the Add-on game after it has been purchased/installed.
    Last edited by Seattlemark; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Yes, you need an internet connection to play purchased tables. It's not a bug; it's a huge design flaw. Though I could not say if Zen Studios or Microsoft is to blame. Likewise, the free "trial game" option is only available after purchasing the table, which makes it completely useless. That one is probably Zen's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by rassilon View Post
    Yes, you need an internet connection to play purchased tables. It's not a bug; it's a huge design flaw. Though I could not say if Zen Studios or Microsoft is to blame.
    It's kinda of both. When the game was in development, MS only had that DRM option available. After the game released, MS decided to lift their DRM policy on games. Zen is working on a fix, but I don't know when it will release.

Likewise, the free "trial game" option is only available after purchasing the table, which makes it completely useless. That one is probably Zen's fault.
    Nope! This is Micorsoft's fault. The feature is available in Zen's other platforms as well, but currently Windows 8 doesn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by rassilon View Post
    Yes, you need an internet connection to play purchased tables. It's not a bug; it's a huge design flaw. Though I could not say if Zen Studios or Microsoft is to blame.
    If what XBOX Tech Support told me last night was accurate, and XBOX 360 console does not need an Internet Connection after the Add-on tables are installed, then this seems backwards. That would mean:

1. The XBOX 360 console which is basically a stationary device that is most likely going to stay in a home where it's easy to maintain the Internet Connection that was used to purchase/download the game in the first place, does not need an Internet connection to play the purchased add-on tables.

2. While Windows 8 devices, that are often going to be tablets that frequently leave the home, have to have an Internet Connection to play the previously purchased/downloaded/installed Add-on tables.

This fact is not going to help Microsoft sell their Surface tablets, any. (And Microsoft is the publisher of this game.) Nor help Zen Studios, who from what I am seeing in other threads, is losing sales of add-on tables over this. (And with the new Star Wars add-on tables coming out soon which is all over the news, could hurt both companies.)

In my personal case I only discovered this because I loaded Pinball FX2 and Marvel Avengers add-on table onto my Destop PC that has a hardwired Internet Connection to my Router. When I brought the PC over to the TV on the other side of the room, after a reboot I could no longer play the game. But I guess that is why they make long ethernet cords. (sigh) Funny thing is that I used a Wireless mouse, a wireless Keyboard, and a PC USB Wireless XBOX controller for my setup over at the TV. (For security reasons this PC is not on a wireless network.)

P.S. Sorry I was in a rush this morning (after only a little bit of sleep since my very long Chat with Microsoft's XBOX support at 1:00am last night), and I missed till just now the recent related thread about this, shogun00 last responded to in ("Offline mode for Win8 version....when?")

Also, my subsequent searchs now find threads about XBOX 360 and DRM that indicate that Pinball FX2 add-on tables could, at least at one time, be played offline on an XBOX 360 (as long as the DRM was in order). Does anyone know if DRM has been removed from XBOX 360, and if so can Pinball FX2 tables still be played offline? ( shogun00 mentioned that "MS decided to lift their DRM policy on games" But I don't know if that means Pinball FX2 add-on tables can still be played Offline on an XBOX 360 console, or not.)
    Last edited by Seattlemark; 02-11-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Found threads about XBOX 360 console and DRM with Pinball FX2.

I´ve discovered about the internet connection requirement two days ago. And yes it´s the most stupid decision i´ve seen. I really appreciate the incredible work and details Zen Studios put in their tables, and it seems a decent company: the prices are accessible, they implemented cross platform buys for Sony devices (this one really surprised me - kudos for this decision) and we can play Zen Pinball 2 offline in PS3 and Mac platforms. So i really don´t understand why they decided to block the Win 8 version. I was planing to have some fun with it on a Win laptop during holidays since i don´t have internet access. Now i can´t do that...
    How can´t i play the games i already have paid for???!!! I´m holding any buys until this issue is fixed.

We do plan to update so that users can play offline, though I'm not sure when this is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    We do plan to update so that users can play offline, though I'm not sure when this is happening.
    Barbie, are Pinball FX2 users on XBOX 360 consoles currently able to play their purchased tables Offline?

Quote Originally Posted by Seattlemark View Post
    Barbie, are Pinball FX2 users on XBOX 360 consoles currently able to play their purchased tables Offline?
    I'm not Barbie, but I can easily answer that question. Yes they can! Only the Windows 8 version has DRM for some reason.