Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by haltux View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have recently bought Star Wars pinball episode V, and I am amazed by the quality of this pinball.
    However, not being a pinball hardcore gamer (best score 51M), I have a few comment on the scoring system. My problem with this pinball is that:
    - Scenes are very hard and they do not pay much.
    - Scenes lead to wizard mode, which I guess pays well, but it is unreachable to most players anyway. My best score is 51M, and I never finished more than 1 out of the 5 mission. The rankings (on android) say that the 25th best score is only 3 times mine, so I am pretty sure only an unsignificant proportion of players actually reach wizard mode.

So for the average player, the best way to achieve high scores is to never start a mission and to play the training, frenzies, multiball and so on. Now I only start scenes by mistake and I think it is a bit sad because I miss a large part of the game. So it is a real dilemma: doing scenes for fun or not doing scene to try to achieve higher scores.

I think the choices made for Sorcerer's Lair were much better: you have 8 missions, they pay well and even when you fail some (or all) of them, as long as you try them you reach the final mode.

Interesting topic about the missions. Now that you mention it I do prefer how tables like Sorcerer's Lair do missions and Wizard mode. I was actually looking at the main screen on ZP2 the other night and thought about how few of the tables I've actually completed. It's my fault since I never go into a game with anything other than besting my top score in mind so the things needed to complete a table sometimes never get practiced. I would also like to see more table either take the SL approach or weigh the necessary parts more in score to make doing these more worthwhile to score focussed players. Too many tables become one or two trick ponies when shooting for high score. (Example: Excalibur is one of my favorite tables but doing much besides Merlin's multiball is pretty pointless score wise. )
    I'd be curious to see what more people think on this topic.
    BTW I have yet to successfully complete any of the Empire episodes either. As far as they go I find them tougher than average for Zen's missions. I enjoy the table though.
    Bring on the Death Star table! I can't wait for that one, if rumors are true.

my problem is getting sidetracked on the multiball modes. the 1st day it came out i beat Vader in scene 6 but drained about 2 seconds later. i think it's a great table overall, especially in multiplayer. sure beats the hell outta Civil War lol.

Quote Originally Posted by s-carnegie View Post
    'An extra ball you should get it hmm'
    LMAO! he says it every 5 seconds. gets on my nerves so bad i finally hit it just to shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty-24- View Post
    LMAO! he says it every 5 seconds. gets on my nerves so bad i finally hit it just to shut him up.
    I find that almost as annoying as when Yoda turns into Confucious during combo's on Clone Wars. How many sayings can one cat have?

LOL I know what you mean, even the looks of him wants me to give him one good smack. Think its time to change my avatar. 'Yes... an extra ball you got'

Same here! Increasing the time between reminders would be a good tweak to include in the next patch. I think it should be at least 30 seconds between each time he says it..

I mean, this is the first time I ever thought that I'd really like to backhand Yoda and tell him to shut up..

Quote Originally Posted by ER777 View Post
    Same here! Increasing the time between reminders would be a good tweak to include in the next patch. I think it should be at least 30 seconds between each time he says it..

I mean, this is the first time I ever thought that I'd really like to backhand Yoda and tell him to shut up..
    I couldn't forgive myself if Master Yoda would suffer from your kung-fu talent
    I'll adjust that time. BTW its 15sec now.

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I couldn't forgive myself if Master Yoda would suffer from your kung-fu talent
    I'll adjust that time. BTW its 15sec now.
    LOL, thanks man. I'm sure I would just end up losing my hand to his lightsaber so this will be better for everyone.

Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Zen table by far, one of my favorite tables of all time. Such a great job on this one. I can't wait for the classic Star Wars and Return of the Jedi tables I hope will be coming out someday.

Hmm, so how about a Princess Leia table included in one of those future packs? Maybe a bunch of hero specific tables inlcuded in the mix. Just promise me you'll never make a Jar Jar table and I'll be happy. haha

Quote Originally Posted by blazergamer View Post
    I just learned that today reading you Not only it's important but it's also a cool subtle feature that puts players deepens into the Star Wars universe.

I think Zen should release more complete table guides when new tables are released instead of letting consumers in the dark having to figure out complex tables by themselves. If it took some of the pinball Wizards days to figure this out we can guess that the casual player might never figure it out.

Maybe they should include a tutorial mode that lets user learn the tables features.
    I agree. I think a LOT of the info from those PDF guides that are on the site should be in the actual game in a menu somewhere to read. The How To Play is super basic. There really needs to be guides to all the missions etc that are easier to access. I think majority of players are playing with a "just stop the ball from going down the hole" type mentality and are completely in the dark when it comes to all the content in these tables.

Achievement descriptions for example actually need to explain a LOT more what needs to actually be done. 90% of them make no sense at all.

So much work gets put into these games and it's a shame a lot of players don't get to experience them to their fullest.

Writer of Guides ShoryukenToTheChin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I agree. I think a LOT of the info from those PDF guides that are on the site should be in the actual game in a menu somewhere to read. The How To Play is super basic. There really needs to be guides to all the missions etc that are easier to access. I think majority of players are playing with a "just stop the ball from going down the hole" type mentality and are completely in the dark when it comes to all the content in these tables.

Achievement descriptions for example actually need to explain a LOT more what needs to actually be done. 90% of them make no sense at all.

So much work gets put into these games and it's a shame a lot of players don't get to experience them to their fullest.
    Would be awesome to see the Guides be implemented into the Tables 'How to Play' section perhaps in a section called Table Guide *Spoilers ahead!*

Its great to see that the community loves them so much that they would like them within the core game, hopefully one day it will happen.

Official Pinball Guides (PFX3 etc.) - Written & Video Form

PSN = SrkToTheChin
    Xbox Live = SrkToTheChin
    *Send a msg with any Friend Request!*

This is a good point to mention because it adds some strategy into how you progress through the scenes. It saves what you've raised the reward value to when you reach the mission checkpoints too right?
    turns out that going through the scenes isn't the best way to score big. the empire bonus is the way to go.

turns out that going through the scenes isn't the best way to score big. the empire bonus is the way to go.
    I disagree with that. Dual jedi/Sith Multiball and specifically, Balance Super Jackpots is the way to rack up the biggest scores. I've managed to get Balance jackpots of over 60mil. It took me a while to figure out how this super jackpot wiorked, until I pondered its name: 'balance'. I scored over 3.5 billion last night, but did it in offline mode, and although I uploaded local files to the cloud immediately after, the leaderboard still hasn't been updated. I did it by smashing Sith MB.

esb-hs.jpgesb-hs-2.jpg
    Last edited by Yakass; 06-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.

End of ball bonuses:
    Multipliers are gained by spelling SKY, WAL, and KER via the upper rollovers.

Rebellion bonus
    2,000 points up to 1 million points.
    From what I can tell, simply keep the ball in play. The longer the ball is in play, the higher the bonus. Don't know how long it has to stay in to get the max of 1 million points.

Ion Cannon bonus
    10,000 points per Ion Cannon hit per ball.

Yoda's Hideout bonus
    10,000 points per letter of YODA per ball

The Force bonus
    100,000 points per Force Mode started per ball

Training bonus
    200,000 points per Training mode started per ball

Movie Scene bonus
    100,000 points per checkpoint per ball

Empire bonus
    50,000 points per Empire Award per ball

Dark side bonus
    related to hitting unlit lanes in the multiball modes.
    Thanks Deep

Commentary
    Much like the table itself, it's slow to build a high score, but usually worth it. That's not factoring that you get an extra ball if you max out the multipliers.
    Last edited by OriginalEther; 07-09-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Yakass View Post
    I disagree with that. Dual jedi/Sith Multiball and specifically, Balance Super Jackpots is the way to rack up the biggest scores. I've managed to get Balance jackpots of over 60mil. It took me a while to figure out how this super jackpot wiorked, until I pondered its name: 'balance'. I scored over 3.5 billion last night, but did it in offline mode, and although I uploaded local files to the cloud immediately after, the leaderboard still hasn't been updated. I did it by smashing Sith MB.

esb-hs.jpgesb-hs-2.jpg
    That is a great score, way better than mine, but its only about 1/3 of what Ty has. I know he's been up really high with the balance jackpot levels himself, so if he's saying the empire awards are the way to go then I would believe him.

I also don't think he meant that balance jackpots aren't something to go for though. I think he was just clarifying a prior comment he made to me about going for wizard mode loops to get huge scores. I know he goes for balance jackpots quite a bit himself.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalEther View Post

Dark side bonus
    related to the multiball modes, particularly the Jedi/Sith. See an attempt to explain below
    The Dark Side bonus can be built with unlit lane shots in multiballs

Well, that's a lot easier than what I had

Guess I'll have to check that out for more of the specifics. Thanks!
    Tables completed: Ms Splosion Man, Spiderman, BioLab, Captain America, Empire Strikes Back, The Avengers, Wolverine, World War Hulk, Sorcerer's Lair, Fantastic Four, Blade, X-Men, Thor, Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet, Super League Football, Starfighter Assault, Han Solo
    Billionaire's Club: Spider-Man, World War Hulk, The Avengers, Sorcerer's Lair, Empire Strikes Back, Captain America, Ms. Splosion Man, Han Solo

That is a great score, way better than mine, but its only about 1/3 of what Ty has. I know he's been up really high with the balance jackpot levels himself, so if he's saying the empire awards are the way to go then I would believe him.

I also don't think he meant that balance jackpots aren't something to go for though. I think he was just clarifying a prior comment he made to me about going for wizard mode loops to get huge scores. I know he goes for balance jackpots quite a bit himself.
    well i am up to 4.4bill now and am pretty sure ill crack 10bill focusing on jedi sith soon enough, though im out of action for a couple of weeks as i am currently in hospital nursing a collapsed lung. i do go for empire awards of course (chasing collect bonus when it makes sense) but dont priorotize it like i do stacking mballs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12