Thread: Questions about the Windows 8 app and tables

Question Questions about the Windows 8 app and tables

I have a few questions regarding some of the things I've seen in the forums and in general about the game and its tables that has been bothering me for a bit, and stopped me from purchasing any new tables for any system.

I seen that Solitude posted in December about a newer version of Pinball FX for windows 8 that will have more customization options available, and that it is unlikely that previous purchases will transfer over to it. Are there any more details about this? What kind of options will it have available, what tables are going to be available for it at launch, and are all the tables planned to be ported into it if they need to have changes made? Finally is there an ETA on this version?

Now I must say I have the game on Android with a couple of tables, and I also have a couple of tables on the Playstation 3, and I'm happy with the cross system entitlement there. The windows 8 and xbox 360 I'm not so much worried about, but with Plants vs Zombies out on both the PS3 and xbox, I am wondering why it has yet to be released on PC or on android, and if or when is it going to be released to those systems.

I'm currently leery of purchasing tables that I may not be able to play on a newer version of a windows 8 app, and I do not like the fact that all the systems do not have the same tables available to them, though it seems this is slowly changing. However, I really don't see a reason to purchase any new tables with these questions hanging overhead, and really I would like to buy some more tables, Star Wars and the originals, but I would also like to have them on one system, maybe two not spread out across them all.

KickBeaten Down

We'll be releasing a general PC version that is not limited to the Windows 8 Metro environment. It should work on Windows 8, 7, and possibly other versions as well. Your table library won't carry over between this and the Windows 8 versions, so you should pick one and stick with it. The new version will be pretty similar to the Windows 8 version in terms of look, feel, and available content, but it will have global leaderboards and some other features like more extensive graphical options. It will also have offline play. We will add some features such as basic cab support after launch. We're still targeting Steam as the distribution channel, and the game should be out relatively soon.

We enable you to import or share content between different platforms where it's possible. Right now it's not possible within Microsoft's systems to share it except between Windows 8 PCs and Windows 8 tablets.

We hope to bring PvZ to more platforms, but nothing is set yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
    We'll be releasing a general PC version that is not limited to the Windows 8 Metro environment. It should work on Windows 8, 7, and possibly other versions as well. Your table library won't carry over between this and the Windows 8 versions, so you should pick one and stick with it. The new version will be pretty similar to the Windows 8 version in terms of look, feel, and available content, but it will have global leaderboards and some other features like more extensive graphical options. It will also have offline play. We will add some features such as basic cab support after launch. We're still targeting Steam as the distribution channel, and the game should be out relatively soon.

We enable you to import or share content between different platforms where it's possible. Right now it's not possible within Microsoft's systems to share it except between Windows 8 PCs and Windows 8 tablets.

How about some of the other Marvel themes like xmen, ghost rider, blade?

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by markmon View Post
    How about some of the other Marvel themes like xmen, ghost rider, blade?
    We plan to release everything everywhere with the exceptions we've listed before (PFX2 Core pack and Ms Splosion Man stay in PFX2+, PFX1 content doesn't go to any future titles, Ninja Gaiden stays on Sony platforms). Not sure what the deal is with Rocky and Bullwinkle and Street Fighter 2.

We plan to release everything everywhere with the exceptions we've listed before (PFX2 Core pack and Ms Splosion Man stay in PFX2+, PFX1 content doesn't go to any future titles, Ninja Gaiden stays on Sony platforms). Not sure what the deal is with Rocky and Bullwinkle and Street Fighter 2.
    Is there a page or forum post where we can see the exceptions?

Oh great. I bought every table for the Xbox and had to rebuy for Window 8 - even though it's all through 'xbox gaming' controlled by Microsoft, and now I will have to rebuy again for the superior stand-alone version. All within the same 'Microsoft system'. Is it any wonder people don't feel bad about pirating games? This is a total punch in the face to your customers.

I also own every table on the iPad but don't have a problem with rebuying the tables because it's a different system. But I guess if you want global leaderboards, better graphics options etc, you will have to buy it all again, even thought IT'S ALL ON THE SAME COMPUTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Landozelig View Post
    Oh great. I bought every table for the Xbox and had to rebuy for Window 8 - even though it's all through 'xbox gaming' controlled by Microsoft, and now I will have to rebuy again for the superior stand-alone version. All within the same 'Microsoft system'. Is it any wonder people don't feel bad about pirating games? This is a total punch in the face to your customers.

I also own every table on the iPad but don't have a problem with rebuying the tables because it's a different system. But I guess if you want global leaderboards, better graphics options etc, you will have to buy it all again, even thought IT'S ALL ON THE SAME COMPUTER.
    At $3 a table, I don't care if I have to buy them again. The bigger annoyance is the purchase process, itself, blocking me from doing so.

Is Ms Splotion Man going to be available on pbfx2 windows some day? The exception above didnt make that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Landozelig View Post

I'm in the same boat.

I can't encourage Zen enough, to work a deal whereby we can prove ownership of the tables on one or more platforms and they provide us with codes to unlock the tables at least on the PC General or Steam version. Rebuying on the same platform is *insane*, and NO I do not think it's all Zen's fault--of course the MS environment is a disaster and I'm not angry at Zen.

But SURELY there's a way, if your customer is willing to jump through enough hoops that you can allow us to prove and get unlocks for the program on the same platform PC.

I'd be happy to send in copies of receipts, license ID's, whatever. Create a "Legacy Customer" server, and populate it and have loyalty unlocks happen. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm sure professional developers can come up with a solution.

While I was unhappy but willing to purchase the tables twice between my iOS devices and Windows, I understood the challenges faced. Rebuying on Windows after buying on Windows though, would surely test anyone's patience. Don't launch until there's a solution--that's what I urge you.

Thanks,

RM

Thanks for the info Solitude. It's good to hear what PC OS you will support with the upcoming version. Glad to hear that at least Win 7 is supported and that you addressed the importance of being able to play offline. Looks like my cab will be all win 7 when its built. I hope Farsight follow your lead and do a win7 cab support version too.

I hear the pain you current win 8 metro users will feel and hopefully something will get sorted out for you in the future. I think Solitude mentioned that this was likely to happen not that long after it launched on metro. Non compatibility isn't good but I respect that Solitude was up front and let us know when there may have been pressure to stay quiet.

In regards to multiple purchases on different platforms it is likely that I'll have all or the large majority on xbox, a handleful on Android, and most or all the the ones that support cabs (hoping basic cab support means at least a portrait mode on one screen and translite and Dmd on a 2nd screen?) on win7. Happy to support a great developer with good pricing!

P.s Zen's name appeared in the PS4 developer list in their event. Have you announced what titles or if you are developing for any other unannounced future systems? Pinball FX 3 anyone?

KickBeaten Down

We've said since the beginning that there would eventually be 2 PC products, that the non-Win8 version would have more features, and that there wouldn't be a way to transfer content purchases. Even if there is a way to do it via codes by some sort of manual verification and sending of codes, that is far too labor-intensive to even consider.

And if you want purchases to transfer across Windows 8 and Xbox 360, you need to talk to Microsoft. There's no way for us to make that happen unless they make it possible. And if they do make it possible, we'll bend over backwards to get it done like we did with the PFX1->PFX2 import on Xbox 360, the ZP1/MP->ZP2 import on PS3 and Vita, and the PS3/Vita Cross Buy support.

We'd like to bring everything we're doing to PS4. I mean, why not?

Hey Solitude. Just wanted to say thanks to you personally and Zen Studios.

I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate all you guys do to get quality products into our hands and you probably don't get the full thanks that you deserve.

It was great how you posted the info about non compatibility with the upcoming full PC version very early on so we as consumers could make an informed decision. Personally I decided to wait for the full PC build due to those comments. No problems from my end

You guys really have a hard job catering for some many platforms and then the variations within each platform (e.g Android OS's, PC O'S) so please know that we do appreciate all your hard work.

Personally I am happen to pay for and own the same tables on many different platforms as it is my choice which ones I buy and to be honest I find them great value, even if I double up.

It should work on Windows 8, 7, and possibly other versions as well. ... We will add some features such as basic cab support after launch. We're still targeting Steam as the distribution channel, and the game should be out relatively soon.
    Best news I've heard in a long time - I have a Windows 7 cabinet being built as we speak!

I do hope the wheels are already in motion with Steam if that's the plan. After the disaster that Farsight has had trying to get The Pinball Arcade on there (languishing on Steam Greenlight since like September while inferior 5-year-old pinball titles no one cares about get published), that worries me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    I do hope the wheels are already in motion with Steam if that's the plan. After the disaster that Farsight has had trying to get The Pinball Arcade on there (languishing on Steam Greenlight since like September while inferior 5-year-old pinball titles no one cares about get published), that worries me a bit.
    Gabe mentioned at CES or the Game Developers Conference (I can't remember which one), that he plans to scrap the current Greenlight system. It's been turning developers away from Steam than the other way around.

I must say how I like that this has been a discussion and hasn't erupted into a flame war like I've seen happen on other boards.

Unfortunately for myself I'm a bit impatient so I'm going to be buying some tables at least twice on the pc, and who knows about the ps4 yet.

I just purchased Tesla for the android system and I'm currently having a bit of a problem with ball drains. There is one hole right in the center of the top portion of the play field that seems to love to drop the ball directly down the middle where it is impossible to hit it. The hole doesn't always drop it down dead center, but most of the time it does, and I'm dreading when ever I hit the ball in that area. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to save it. I'm playing on my Asus Transformer, and I have no idea how to 'bump' the table to even try and save it.

Default I'm glad I found this thread...

I'm glad I found this thread... I was almost about to "upgrade" my computer to win8 just for zen pinball even though i'm still perfectly happy with my running win7 installation (I had purchased an win8 upgrade license while it was still cheap but I'd still rather wait with the move). I 'm sure I would have gotten almost all tables for win8 and then be disappointed when the stand-alone version came out.

I got most tables on Android for my Galaxy S3 by now and I'm really surprised how much fun they are even on such a relatively small screen. Usually I'm more in the "die-hard realistic and physically possible tables camp" but the freedom zen pinball takes is pretty cool imo - it still feels like legit pinball and it's obvious a lot of love and thought went into the individual tables :-)

Have you ever considered a system where users would create an account and then tie table purchases to the account so they could carry over to different platforms? Even though I guess the different price targets for tables on different platforms sort of prohibit this.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to playing zenpinball on win7 and I'm glad I don't have to make the move to win8 all too soon :-)
    Last edited by lio; 03-05-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lio View Post
    Have you ever considered a system where users would create an account and then tie table purchases to the account so they could carry over to different platforms? Even though I guess the different price targets for tables on different platforms sort of prohibit this.
    )
    Of course, we get asked this almost every day. If it were possible, definitely.