X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rivermonster
    • Jan 2013

Positive Post Time: Star Wars Pinball

Oh holy hell is this good fun.

Zen I can't thank you enough for ensuring that it was released on Windows 8. Yes, the whole purchasing thing was a disasterous trauma, but I finally got the tables--and they ARE FANTASTIC.

As always, they are fun and innovative, causing me to wonder which I more: physical pinball or digital pinball. Gasp, the purists are lighting their torches and pitchforks, but man--some of the things you can and HAVE done with these tables thanks to a lack of physical world restrictions are great.

I am EXTREMELY happy with the purchase and wish you guys the best.

My thanks,

RM!
  • markmon
    • Jan 2013

Totally agree with this. The purchase hassle at Microsoft was ridiculous, but it finally went through and it was totally worth the effort. All 3 tables are great. Cant wait for the other 7 later this year.

Comment

• Landozelig
      • Feb 2013

Can I ask how you guys eventually got to download them? The error message is infuriating because it tells me NOTHING. Just the "Sorry, Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again." Try again?? Why, what caused it to not work? Too busy? Tables aren't found? Paypal isn't working? Please tell me WHY it's not working. Arrrrgh!! Did you guys buy the tables in-game or in the Windows 8 store?

But in keeping with the positive aspect of this post, I did download them without a single problem on my iPad (hey Microsoft, might want to check out Apple, they seem to know how to run an app store). They are really fun tables and I am really dying to get them on my PC. The retina display is awesome, but it's still a small screen - doesn't compare to my 24" monitor in portrait mode.

Comment

• rivermonster
        • Jan 2013

Lando,

I went for the psychotic, slightly insane, purchase attempt over and over route this morning with Star Wars. That eventually worked. Oh... and I did put in an alternate form of payment other than paypal, but that didn't cure it--it was the "purchasing over and over". The believing that doing the same thing repeatedly would yield a different result. LOL

That being said, the same method wouldn't work for me with the Classic pack this morning... so I enjoyed some Star Wars tables, and later in the afternoon tried the Classic pack which worked first time (after being stubborn and unbuyable in the morning).

This leads me to believe it's totally a Windows 8 Store/XBLA thing. I can't be sure, but for lack of good objective information and if I had to bet, I'd bet it was MS.

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

• Landozelig
          • Feb 2013

Thanks River. Where did it end up working? In-game or the Win8 store? I want to try it where my odds are better

Comment

• Seattlemark
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Landozelig
            Thanks River. Where did it end up working? In-game or the Win8 store? I want to try it where my odds are better
            After logging onto the Store and to XBOX Games at some point I saw the 3 Grayed out Star Wars tiles in My Collection. I clicked on one of them and was able to purchase the Collection without any issue. No problem starting up the 3 tables either.

One interesting side note. As an experiment afterwards (for all you good folks in this forum), I tried my Windows 8 backup that did not have yesterday's Pinball FX2 update. This time, after it connected to XBOX Games, I saw the 3 Star Wars tiles in My Collection with green arrows moving up and down. Clicking on one of those tiles, it went to a screen with a "Download and Play" tile. Clicking on that resulted in "Please install the latest update of Pinball FX2 in order to continue." So installing yesterday's Pinball FX2 update seems to be important before the Star Wars tables will even download.
            Last edited by Seattlemark; 02-28-2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• mattrition
              • Feb 2013

Sounds fantastic! I know this is always a hard question with Zen's tables, but which out of the three tables do you guys enjoy the most? I tend to only purchase one table at a time so I'm wondering which I should try first.

Comment

• Seattlemark
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mattrition
                Sounds fantastic! I know this is always a hard question with Zen's tables, but which out of the three tables do you guys enjoy the most? I tend to only purchase one table at a time so I'm wondering which I should try first.
                I haven't played much. I just got them a couple of hours ago, and I had to get back to work after just a little while of play. (Doing some unpaid overtime from home tonight, so it's not as bad as it sounds playing pinball while working .) But your choice will be easy--- I only found that I could buy the whole collection, which was still a good deal at around $9.99 U.S. plus sales tax I think. (Of course Zen Studios has to pay licensing costs on something like this.)
                Last edited by Seattlemark; 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• markmon
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Landozelig
                  For me, I was expecting this to be problematic after having the same problem with the classic pack. First tried in pinball fx2. Then started trying in the games app. For the most this failed with the same error you had. I probably tried 100 times over a two hour period. I have PayPal and a credit card in my Microsoft account. Both failed. I finally have up. Came back a few hours later and again tried a bunch of times and finally I went through via the games app.

Comment

• hfball
                    • Feb 2013

I am loving the Boba Fett table. Good stuff!

Spot on, Zen.

Comment

Working...