View Poll Results: Vote on your favorite in-game pinball camera!

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll

8 7.55%
  • 1w

14 13.21%

8 7.55%

21 19.81%

16 15.09%

8 7.55%

31 29.25%

Thread: Vote on your favorite in-game pinball camera!

Default Vote on your favorite in-game pinball camera!

Dear Pinball Players!

In an attempt to improve the cameras in our pinball games, we would like to hear your voice regarding your camera usage.
    Which camera is your favorite? Which do you prefer the least? What would you improve on those currently in the game?

Give us all your thoughts about the in-game cameras!

Sincerely,

ZEN Studios

I use 3 for most tables, as it gives me the best view for my shots. If I had a bigger TV, and if the marvel tables weren't zoomed out so much, I would prefer 6.

On every single table except for Fantastic Four, I use 6 since I can usually see the entire table. However, view 6 seemed to turn into view 4 on Fantastic Four, so I use that.

I mainly choose 4 followed by 3. 4 is not my first choice on F4 though.

What I wouldn't mind it a 75% zoom out of the table (somewhere between 3 and 6 lets say) and it has a soft scrolling action.

I hate camera's that rapidly go from the bottom of the table to the top like Buccaneer for example. I prefer a smooth transition between the upper and lower player fields rather than a jarring action, makes it easy to lose the ball.

I would like to see a higher Camera 1, maybe because I'm 6ft tall I'm used to looking down on the playfield rather than from a kids perspective of looking up the table.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks ZEN for looking at this very important matter...

Each and every camera is a compromise for me... between seeing the bottom flipper properly and seeing what is going on, on the rest of the table.

In the end I mostly use 5 or 4 - 5 because it seems like I can aim better and the way the camera smoothly closes in as the balls comes down, help me to focus on the flippers. With 5 though it is quite a bit of a compromise with the top flipper - cross table shots as your margin for error is very small due to not being able to see the flipper properly. Fantastic 4 and Ironman also illustrates a deficit with this camera in that you can't see the lanes above the bumpers. In the end it is more important for me to see the bottom flippers well and that is why I use 5 (or 4 occasionally).

For short periods I can use 2 but I get severe motion sickness so after a while it doesn't make me feel so good any more. 3 is even worse in that respect, except on Secrets of the Deep where it works very well for the table layout.

1,1w feels too far and too flat and 6 feels too far away from me. You have all this amazing detail on your tables and with 6 you can't really see much of it.

I agree with all Nekro Neko suggested in his post especially: "What I wouldn't mind it a 75% zoom out of the table (somewhere between 3 and 6 lets say) and it has a soft scrolling action.

I hate camera's that rapidly go from the bottom of the table to the top like Buccaneer for example. I prefer a smooth transition between the upper and lower player fields rather than a jarring action, makes it easy to lose the ball.
    ".

Three additional camera related points to consider please:

- If it is at all possible cameras that can be adjusted manually would be the best - position, height, amount of zoom and speed of camera scrolling action.
    - It would be great if we can select only the views we want e.g. in Forza 3 (I think) you can change the settings so that it only scroll through the few views you want when you change view. If that is possible I would sometimes quickly change view between say 5 for normal play and 2 (when I need to see the bumper lanes or have to get an important cross table shot e.g. torch ramp with manual invisible flipper mode.
    - I would really appreciate it if I could manually set the action camera to what I want it to focus on e.g. the bumper lanes. If that was possible most of my camera issues would be solved.
    Last edited by Cloda; 05-27-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by heathenSauce View Post
    I use 3 for most tables, as it gives me the best view for my shots. If I had a bigger TV, and if the marvel tables weren't zoomed out so much, I would prefer 6.
    I'm the same way... I prefer 3 on most tables, but have been using a lot of 6 on F4 and MARS. Luckily my TV is huge (57") so view 6 doesn't make anything too too small.

The cameras on the classic tables need a little more work. They seem quite a bit different then the cameras on the newer tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloda View Post

Three additional camera related points to consider please:

- If it is at all possible cameras that can be adjusted manually would be the best - position, height, amount of zoom and speed of camera scrolling action.
    - It would be great if we can select only the views we want e.g. in Forza 3 (I think) you can change the settings so that it only scroll through the few views you want when you change view. If that is possible I would sometimes quickly change view between say 5 for normal play and 2 (when I need to see the bumper lanes or have to get an important cross table shot e.g. torch ramp with manual invisible flipper mode.
    - I would really appreciate it if I could manually set the action camera to what I want it to focus on e.g. the bumper lanes. If that was possible most of my camera issues would be solved.
    Great ideas Cloda... I also like Nekro's idea of a 75% table view. Although a custom camera option would solve most if not all of our camera gripes.
    Last edited by KGSoloman8000; 05-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KGSoloman8000 View Post
    I'm the same way... I prefer 3 on most tables, but have been using a lot of 6 on F4 and MARS. Luckily my TV is huge (57") so view 6 doesn't make anything too too small.

The cameras on the classic tables need a little more work. They seem quite a bit different then the cameras on the newer tables.

Great ideas Cloda... I also like Nekro's idea of a 75% table view. Although a custom camera option would solve most if not all of our camera gripes.
    I agree. I'd actually like something that's pretty much a top-down view. I don't want obstructions. I may lose some of the 3-D perspective, but I can't stand not being able to see stuff, especially when it's vital to the game play.

I use 3 though find it doesn't quite get to the inlane/outlane lights quick enough to see whats lit.

I mostly use 1w.

But I have different angles for different games.

I would normally use 6, but it is now far too distant from the table to use.

Thumbs up

a (oldschool) Top-Down-View would be nice, like the Tablepreviews on the ZenPinball-Website! :-)

View 7, fullscreen landscape mode, oh wait you never included such a view!!

5 and 6 pretty much exclusively.

Annoying thing with these is that they block a lot of lights / shots on the table so either a better camera or more consideration of what the player can see needs to go into table design.

I really prefer the top down view of view 6 most of the time. As I have stated countless times before, my ideal camera angle would be a zoomed in top down view turned vertically to fill my entire screen. i know I'm in the minority, but I play on a 23" monitor that I purchased a rotating base, meaning my widescreen monitor flips from horizontal to vertical. I use the vertical setup for all of the shmups I import from Japan. Anyway, as of now, view six all the way, but a slightly closer look would be preferable.

As an alternative, couldn't the camera be set up on a free zoom/angle view since the tables are 3d models. I'm no expert on the matter, so I could be way off, but instead of 6 fixed views, why not allow us to fine tune our angle and zoom with a zoom/tit feature. I think I've seen a similar feature in other games, but can't exactly recall where.

Camera 6 all the way.

Is there a POSSIBILITY that you guys might be able to add screen rotation (screen tilt mode) to the game?

Quite a few TFT-Displays (when they are wall-mounted) allow to be rotated by 90°. The XBLA title Ikaruga for example looks awesome when the build-in option to rotate the screen is enabled.

Camera 6 would suit this just perfect!

Any chance to make this happen?

View 6 for me, as it makes hitting ramp shots easier. The other views do look alot more pretty, but can be harder to use.

Like someone else said, it might be better if we can control the height & zoom of the camera.

I really focus hard on those flippers as the ball moves down and view 6 is easily the best for pin-pointing sweet spots (IMHO of course ). I couldn't play any other way.

View 4 for me, easy to use and fun to look at. I like the way it slowly tilts up like you're moving your head, instead of the fast transition of view 3. It's screwed on F4 though. :-(

I need a stable view to properly concentrate so i always use 6 for the simple reason that it doesn't switch during multiball ...

This multiball camera switch prevents me for trying any other view .... it seemed like a good idea but practically it's really an annoyance FOR ME !

So .... my vote goes to 6

3 and 4 for me, it's not ideal but at least I can see something. 6 is too flat and far away for me I must admit that there is no single camera that I like.
    Last edited by Lukky NL; 05-28-2011 at 07:24 PM.

I use view 3 mostly. Although if i am going for ball saves @ in and outlanes (except for spiderman) i use view 6. Although id rather just use 3 and have my action cam focused on the inlanes.

I have been trying different views since reading other users posts but still keep going back to view 3. Though i feel that this could be zoomed out just a bit more to show a bit more of the table. It would be great if we could freely zoom in or out of the table or at least in increments.

Unhappy

Just a quickie to say that yes, I don't know why we can't set our own camera up. The ideal way would be to adjust zoom, tilt, x-y-z, and follow ball behaviour- either scroll y only, scroll from fixed position or tilt to follow (my preference) and set it as either "save as default for this table", "save as default for all tables" and have that as Cam 7. Alao, it frustrates me that on the classic tables the game doesn't save the cam you chose last time.

Mostly 4 (except Fantastic Four 3) and sometimes 3 and 6. 6 would be much more usable on full 1080p or better HD resolution, but I guess we need to wait for the PC or next-gen console port for that..

I love view 3 makes the game feel so intense, although there is one big drawback not being able to see flipper controller lights before it's too late. Despite this flaw I stick to view 3 for the kicks.

I use cam 4 mostly but on a few use cam 6. I myself think the cams in FX2 need work, as while 4 is my preffered camera angle on some tables using it is impossible due to when the camera pans up or down ruins the timing and placement of shots. While cam 6 doesnt suffer this draw back, on many tables is much to far out to be of use without straining to see where the ball is.

Cam 4 needs work on when it moves and Cam 6 needs a zoom option or failing that reworked to be closer to the table with less of the upright at the back of the table visable.

I use 1, 1w and 6 mostly because the zooming around throws off all of my shots. I prefer 1 for the angle and feeling like I'm in the action, but end up with 6 so I don't have important targets obscured.

I agree that a 75% zoom would be a great addition. For me the perfect camera would be 1w, but as the ball passes under parts of the table where it is obscured that part of the table becomes transparent. So in effect a small aura around the ball lets you always see what's going on on the ball's level. That would be especially helpful for things like the skill shot(?) lanes at the top of sf2's bottom level for example. Having to look at the little PIP just takes me out of the action too much.

Smile

i use them all.
    All i need now is headtracking using kinect.
    Have been asking for this months ago.

I use all of them since the pitch varies between tables.

What I would like to see:

• Landscape/'tate mode
    • A custom view feature
    • In lieu of custom camera settings, at least 15 viewing angles
      • More closeup angles with less camera panning
    • The ability to create a custom viewing angle "playlist" for each table
    • The ability to cycle through views with two buttons (forward & backward)
      • The player has the choice of using X/Y, the triggers, the bumpers, or the D pad
    • The ability to lock the current view by holding the B button for 2 seconds
    • The ability to switch viewing angles during multiball

On a related note, is it possible to restore View 4 in Fantastic Four and Captain America?
    Last edited by blue; 07-17-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

I´m very happy with View Nr 6 (and everyone I know likes this view best too), but it would be awesome if you could add the mentioned 90°-rotated-view!

My Xbox runs on my 22" PC-LCD-Monitor with a rotate-function... I would love to Play the game that way!

Unhappy Top down 90 Degree rotated FTW!

I would kill for a top down 90 deg rotated view. Wide screen monitors and pinball is a match made in heaven, if only the table wasn't sideways...

Any news about your revise edition for the in-game cameras Zen?

View 7 is excellent. Thanks for giving us the ability to switch cameras during multiball.
    They took our pinball machines!
    Let's revolt, who's with me?
    Grab a pitchfork and come with Zen!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    View 7 is excellent. Thanks for giving us the ability to switch cameras during multiball.
    Seconded.... thanks for paying attention to your supporters Zen.

Thumbs up

I'd like to change my vote to View 7... Thx ZEN! nice 2 know u can change multi-ball views now(ms. Splosion Man) also... double thx!

I concur with the chaps above, view 7 is great. Its the "old" view 4 methinks with a wee bit of a tweak. And it works a charm on the new table. Zen you should roll out this camera set out across all tables in an update, as its the best you have done thusfar.

I registered here just to plead my case on the camera so I'm glad that it seems like Zen actually cares what we have to say.

I use 4 on most tables because it gives me the best view of the top flipper so I can actually time shots as the ball rolls towards it. Unfortunately view 4 on the Fantastic Four table seems to be a version of the regular view 6. 6 makes everything way too small for me so I can't use it. As a result I haven't had any fun with the FF table because I can't find a view that I'm comfortable with. That said I purchased Ms. Splosion Man last night and discovered view 7 which is nearly perfect.

Please, please, PLEASE add this view 7 to the FF table. I'd love to see it patched in to all the old tables and included going forward but the FF table desperately needs it.

Default Camera 7 & Multiball View change retroactively PLEASE

Hi Zen,

I love your work. Seriously.

I've just purchased Ms Slosion Man. Great table as always. I have every table you've ever made.

I stumbled onto two things. THAT BLEW MY MIND.

1. View 7. IT"S PERFECT. Thank you.

2. The ability to change the view in multiball. This has always been the only sticking point for me, in over 20 tables of joy, it's been the only frustration. Image my surprise when suddenly i could do it. I peed a little.

I then excitedly went back to other tables to try the new views and discovered they have not been changed.

PLEASE MAKE THESE CHANGES TO ALL TABLES.

You have my sincere admiration for your great work.

Here's looking forward to camera seven and multiball angle changes on all tables.

Cheers

Buzz.

I can't use any view that doesn't show the entire table. Cameras that move around the table give me a headache.

No matter if I'm playing PHOF or PFX2, I always choose the most overhead stable view with the least amount of tilted angle.

I had already voted on view 6 on this, but after playing the latest two PFX2 tables (Ms. Splosion Man and Sorcerer's Lair), I'm gonna say my favorite view on those is the NEW view 4. I like my table views fixed, and I feel that I can be more precise with the NEW 4 than with the old 6. I wish all the tables could have that view.

I use 1 or 6 depending on the specific table and how easy it is to view the ramps.

i'm using view 7 on these new tables, great addition guys, my favorite view so far. Feels like what i'd do IRL.

Exclamation

Camera 6 on a 60" high def is perfect. What's up with the cameras not raising to over head view automatically any more when multiball starts ?? It's like that on every table now I believe.
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspinballhalloffame View Post
    Camera 6 on a 60" high def is perfect. What's up with the cameras not raising to over head view automatically any more when multiball starts ?? It's like that on every table now I believe.
    Multi-ball has a camera toggle now. Choose which camera you prefer during a multi-ball.

Thumbs up

Okay cool. Would you do that in the Operator's Manual?
    http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ The City Is My Church

7 is the best

I use 5 almost exclusively on all tables. As long as that remains on all future tables then ive no complaints about camera angles.

I'm in the minority. I'm a 2 user and wouldn't want any changes to it at all. Great view!

Default 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tap Twist Snap View Post
    I'm in the minority. I'm a 2 user and wouldn't want any changes to it at all. Great view!
    Me too. It really makes the game come alive

I have been using 1w for the last few games on SL and one of the new multi ball views seems to be this same view so you can play an entire game with no switching views.

I use view 4 or 7 depends if 7 is available. View 7 on every table would be great.

I alternate between 1,1w and 6 on certain tables. But give me a #6 view with a 25% close-up it would be impeccable.

TV- 42inch plasma

Default view

Yes Zen, as others have stated, give us the option to rotate the view for us that are serious about pinball and can play on a vertical screen. It's not that big of a request as some other games have that simple option.

Thumbs up

Sorry to be negative, but this poll makes no sense. I use 3, 4, 5, and 1w for different tables. Favorite angle depends on the table.

On the subject of cameras... could we get an option to NOT go to "6" in multiball? In multi all I care about are the flippers, making "1w" an obvious choice for me. I don't care about whats going on on the ENTIRE TABLE when all I want to do is hit each ball on the sweet spot and keep them alive.

I understand why people like 6, but it is my LEAST favorite... flippers, man, FLIPPERS! Why hide the most important parts in a tiny section at the bottom of the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tap Twist Snap View Post
    I'm really surprised at how low this view is ranking. I've tried every view and this is the one I keep coming back to. It gives you an up-close and detailed view, but still allows you to see what you're shooting at.

Quote Originally Posted by brighton rock View Post
    I'm really surprised at how low this view is ranking. I've tried every view and this is the one I keep coming back to. It gives you an up-close and detailed view, but still allows you to see what you're shooting at.
    Tell me about, its the view I use on every table. I felt like a weirdo ar first so its good to see others coming out of the closet

Well I finally got to play Zen Pinball with a 90 degree rotated view (via my iphone) and it is fantastic!

I pretty much gave up playing FX2 on 360 because the inability to rotate the screen annoys me to no end.

Well I recently bought the Core Pack when it was on sale during Thanksgiving Week; and I have been playing mostly on View 4 as it provides (imho) the most accurate view you would have while you are actually using a pinball table. When the ball is near the flippers you are looking down at the Flippers, and when it goes further up the table, the camera tilts up in much the same way your head would. However by View 4, I am talking about the view 4 found on the Secrets of the Deep, Biolab, Pasha, and Rome Tables.
    I have noticed while trying to demo other tables such as Sorcerer's Lair and Ms Splosion Man, that the View 4 has been replaced by a modified View 6 (or practically the same) and that View 7 seems to have the same camera physics as View 4 had. Also while trying to demo Captain America it seems that the View 4 that I came to love is virtually non-existent. While a top-down view might be ok for some, I like a bit of zoom so I can actually see more of the action on the limited 16:9 ratio screen that I'm using (I assume it would be better viewed on a 4:3 ratio Standard Definition Screen for table length viewing).
    Everyone will have their own opinions about the best view, and I love the fact that there are multiple views to choose from.

I use a different view on each table but I like 5 pretty well.

I would like to vote for the Zen people to include a full table vertical view. I would buy a new TV and mount it vertically just for this view.

I'd love something like this running FX2: http://www.instructables.com/id/Digi...nball-Machine/

View 6 for me; it's reminiscent to Full View Camera 3 on Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. I like to look at the whole table as it looks more natural to real pinball. View 4 (on the newest tables) is similar but too far away by comparison. Views 1 and 1w are a decent second place for me since that view is easier to get ramp shots on.

The other camera views don't do it for me. With the exception of some tables on Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection, I'm not really a fan of close-up views of the tables; close-up views on the Zen Studios pinball games feel too clunky to me, especially.
    Last edited by HardcorePinballGamer4Life; 12-07-2011 at 12:37 AM.

It probably depends if you play on cabinet it will probably be view 2 on my desktop not sure which one i use