Thread: Problems with Clone Wars table

Default Problems with Clone Wars table

Two things annoy me about this table:

1. The drop targets in center of table (butting up against the right Council ramp) often cause the ball to roll off and down between the two flippers. Even when trying to bump the table, there seem to be plenty of times there is nothing I can do about it (please don't state that your fix is a bang-back)

2. The ball save mechanic causes many lost balls. I try to keep the flippers motionless to prevent the ball from deflecting back into the drain, but during multiball or for other reasons, I lose the ball, anyway.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by SpongyTwinkies View Post

1. The drop targets in center of table (butting up against the right Council ramp) often cause the ball to roll off and down between the two flippers. Even when trying to bump the table, there seem to be plenty of times there is nothing I can do about it (please don't state that your fix is a bang-back)

I've had my ball roll off the side of the council ramp in gone SDTM several times. It's very annoying, but it's sort of the point.

2. The ball save mechanic causes many lost balls. I try to keep the flippers motionless to prevent the ball from deflecting back into the drain, but during multiball or for other reasons, I lose the ball, anyway.

Yes, some of these new mechanics on these tables don't quite work as well as they should. You pretty much have to leave your flippers alone when the ball save activates on this table.

Just gotta kind of work around them, or try and nudge at the right time, sorry.

A straight down the middle after bouncing off the drop targets occures indeed every now and then. On the other hand... how easy do you want the tables to be? Such mechanics are very welcome to keep the player sharp. It's avoidable by nudging (PS Vita at least).

The ball save pull back is at least on the PS Vita a cakewalk to catch every time. Sorry if you feel like the table is kind of unfair.

The drop targets in center of table (butting up against the right Council ramp) often cause the ball to roll off and down between the two flippers. Even when trying to bump the table, there seem to be plenty of times there is nothing I can do about it (please don't state that your fix is a bang-back)
    A great technique to learn for Zen games is a simultaneous nudge and flip to save balls that are headed STDM at low-medium speed. A nudge while the ball is on the open table surface doesn't move the ball much, basically the table slides underneath the ball. So if you nudge right as you flip you can sort of reach out a little further to get the flipper on the ball. Nudge to the right just as you flip with the left flipper, or vice versa, and you should always be able to reach at least the edge of the ball.

It works best if you also flip with the opposite side a split second after you flip with the side you're "reaching" with. The reason is that you'll often just nick the edge of the ball and hit it into the bottom of the opposite slingshot, and flipping with the other side right after will stop it from bouncing right back down into the center drain.

That won't save you every time but it will work fairly often. Of course if you can react fast enough to nudge the ball as it rolls across the targets that's even better, but this technique is a good fall-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderdash View Post
    A straight down the middle after bouncing off the drop targets occures indeed every now and then. On the other hand... how easy do you want the tables to be? Such mechanics are very welcome to keep the player sharp. It's avoidable by nudging (PS Vita at least).

The ball save pull back is at least on the PS Vita a cakewalk to catch every time. Sorry if you feel like the table is kind of unfair.
    I might buy into accepting a SDTM due to drop target roll-off, but a ball save mechanic that can deflect off the back of the flippers and back into the drain, I don't buy into that. This is not a topic about making the table easy but more playable without the table defeating some of it's own features.

I'll add some more clarification for posting my first point for why I think the drop targets are a potential playability issue.

A great deal of game play takes place in the center of the table and the SDTM happens rather frequently. While some players will argue that it makes game play more challenging (which is true), it can be difficult or impossible to avoid SDTM even when applying different game play techniques. I have yet to hear anyone deny that they can always play the ball away from an SDTM due to this.

Scoring big on this table is not a problem. I can spam it and really rack up. But that's not the point - when playing missions, the SDTM can impact the playability of completing them. I still feel the first point is reasonable but I'll just have to live with it, I suppose.

...it can be difficult or impossible to avoid SDTM even when applying different game play techniques. I have yet to hear anyone deny that they can always play the ball away from an SDTM due to this.
    Not every time, no.. but I am able to save the ball in that situation at least 2 out of 3 times.. and the ones I don't save are because I don't time it right or don't react quickly enough. The opportunity to save it is there every time, its just a matter of executing it properly. I'm sure there are some people that make that save much more often than 2/3 times too..