Thread: New Update Just Crashes Out Now

Default New Update Just Crashes Out Now

Just updated to the new version of Zen Pinball, with the new Marvel tables, on IOS and it crashes out of the game every time I start it. Tried restarting the iPad and it still does it. I have an iPad 3 with the latest system software.

What have you broken?

Same problem here, also on iPad 3.

Default Same issue

I, also, have the ipad 3 with the latest iOS update and the same thing is happening to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Feentje View Post
    Same problem here, also on iPad 3.
    Obviously releasing all these new Marvel tables at the same time has overloaded the levels of excitement it can handle, and it has now just imploded.

Same here! Never had this problem with Zen Pinball before. Updated and it won't start up now. Rebooted but still does the same thing! Not happy! Cant play if the app won't start!

Default Fix Crash Issues Pronto!

Same as others, app is dead in water. Love the app and I have a lot of money invested in the tables. I'm on an iPhone 4S. You guys should test more before releasing this type of update. Fix right away please!!

For me it appears to be related to the paranormal table. I got all tables and while reinstalling fixes it it starts crashing again once the Paranormal table gets installed. Might be a coincidence however. Really annoying is that all my records appears to have been wiped while reinstalling though.

(Ipad 4, latest ios version)

Default iOS update for Iron Man, Moon Knight, Gauntlet and 1 more table

Just installed the iOS update for Iron Man, Moon Knight, Gauntlet and 1 more table and the app crashes. I have every table downloaded so this sucks not being able to play any of the other tables cause of this update crashing. I have an iPhone 4S. Please fix. If I was to delete app and reinstall I'm afraid it'll delete my trophies and high scores. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    For me it appears to be related to the paranormal table. I got all tables and while reinstalling fixes it it starts crashing again once the Paranormal table gets installed. Might be a coincidence however. Really annoying is that all my records appears to have been wiped while reinstalling though.

(Ipad 4, latest ios version)

I think it is the Paranormal table as well. I think that table is corrupted. I am going to try installing each table one by one except for Paranormal. I am running the iPad 3 on iOS 6.1.2. And yes, all my locally saved scores as well as my epic quest ranking has been wiped, yet again. I forgot to back up my scores before updating. ARRRGGGHHH. I hate that table.
    Last edited by surf1der; 03-27-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Default Paranormal

I just installed all tables (including the new tables) except Paranormal, it works fine now. So the problem is most likely Paranormal.

I have an iPad4 and my application is also crashing.

Is there a way to uninstall a table?

Regards,

Zenball is crashing on my Ipad4, after installing the update
    Ios version is 6.1, the device is jailbroken.
    After starting it welcomes me, the Zen- logo appear. After that the application is minimized and is shown as active when opening the application list.
    Maximizing is not possible anymore. I cannot see any tables. I guess the discussion above about a broken table is not the problem, however, the Panoramal table is installed on my device as well.

A restart of the device is not fixing the problem.

On my Iphone5 the update was succesful and the application is working like expected.

Thanks for fixing the problem, it is the first time i have crashes since pinball is available on ios.

EDIT: I have to correct myself. On my Iphone the Panoramal table was not installed. But on the Ipad. Panoramal is the reason for the crash. After updating my tables the Iphone 5 has even a broken pinball :-(
    Last edited by Computerkammer; 03-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Like Othello, I downloaded all the tables except Paranormal (and the star wars tables because I have the standalone version) and the app appears to be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by surf1der View Post
    I think it is the Paranormal table as well. I think that table is corrupted. I am going to try installing each table one by one except for Paranormal. I am running the iPad 3 on iOS 6.1.2. And yes, all my locally saved scores as well as my epic quest ranking has been wiped, yet again. I forgot to back up my scores before updating. ARRRGGGHHH. I hate that table.
    Same problems for my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

How would you back up your scores before updating? I don't want to lose my scores and progress on Epic Quest and I don't want to wait for a fix. I play Zen Pinball daily. Or I used to...

-J

Default Ipad 2 crash

Latest update has now made the game unplayable on the ipad 2 as well . Just for your info. Same as below..paranormal update etc... Its all good, i know yall will fix it.. Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSkin View Post
    Same problems for my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

How would you back up your scores before updating? I don't want to lose my scores and progress on Epic Quest and I don't want to wait for a fix. I play Zen Pinball daily. Or I used to...

-J
    Use a file browser like iExplorer (http://www.macroplant.com) and browse for the profile.dat file within the Zen Pinball app. Copy that file to your computer. Update your device and then replace that file. However, if you updated before backing up, it might already be gone.

Default solution (for now)

I proudly own every one of the tables.
    So after downloading today's update the app crashed on startup. So I deleted it, reinstalled it, and everything went fine as I downloaded all my old tables-- until I downloaded Paranormal. Then the crash returned, and I was unable to open the app again.
    So this time I'm downloading all the tables except for Paranormal.

No doubt the good people at ZenStudios will offer a fix very soon... I sure do love these tables!

Quote Originally Posted by Davodaman View Post
    Same as others, app is dead in water. Love the app and I have a lot of money invested in the tables. I'm on an iPhone 4S. You guys should test more before releasing this type of update. Fix right away please!!
    This. There really needs to be a chat with the iOS testing guy/team as there has been so many buggy releases that are just unacceptable. I mean I can accept bugs like the one with Epic Quest cave sink hole issue because you can't test every aspect of every table after every update. But then there are things like the Paranormal table with the Captain America splash screen. It's not that it breaks the game but if they had even bothered to start the table for a brief test before releasing it on the iOS they would've caught it easily.

Yes I realize that I have only paid 0.99 or 1.99 for each table, but if Zen is going to release a product then they need to ensure that their customers get the best experience possible especially when they want to grow the mobile market. The app's rating on the appstore is getting absolutely murdered and if you look at the reviews it's mostly complaining about iPhone 5 screen support (which you guys claimed to have fixed this update) and various bugs. Don't let your table designer's brilliant efforts go to waste because of peripheral issues like that. I have been looking for a mobile pinball game since I got my first iPhone 3 years ago and what Zen has is by far the best. Zen is getting beat out by (imo) much inferior pinball games like retro pinball.

Now this update completely breaks the game for anyone with the Paranormal table. I am going to wait for the update and hopefully my scores don't get wiped. I hope the update comes soon.

Default Reason for Crash

It is due to the Paranormal table. You need to reinstall then make sure you DO NOT install the table. It works fine for me, though I need to reinstall everything. I did not read Falcon's post and by the way so you might know this already...

@falcon05- You were the one complaining about this problem with the screen and now you complain about the crash. Why don't you program the tables and see how easy it is? By the way, if you have the game setup in Game Center, it should not erase your scores. But stop and think about how much work they do next time before you rant on the forums. And also just because it works on one platform or in testing does not mean it will work at launch. I am not trying to be mean, just giving you another perspective.
    Last edited by MissingDjinn; 03-27-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Same here (iPad 3, latest iOS).

Again, it looks like the Paranormal table that causes the crashing.

That said, I bought the Paranormal table, because it's a great table, and I want it back, ASAP please.

Also, can somebody please tell me how to restore the tables individually?

Thanks!

Default Crashes on iPad 4

Like the others, we get a crash when the logo appears. It's my wife's device, so other than reboot it I try to stay away from it. If this lasts much longer, I'll suggest she reinstall - just don't get the Paranormal table, even though we already owned it.

Default Same problem

Don't want to start epic quest over. I hope they fix this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by robstanley1 View Post

Also, can somebody please tell me how to restore the tables individually?

Thanks!
    Here is what I did. I deleted the ZP app and then redownloaded it from the app store. This will remove all the tables except Sorcerer's Lair which is included in the base game. To manually restore individual tables, tap the icon of the table you wish to restore. Then hit Buy Table. An apple dialogue box will pop up asking if you want to buy this table for $0.99 or $1.99. If you are using the same iTunes account you used to originally purchase the tables, you will NOT be charged again. Hit yes and enter your iTunes password to confirm. You should see another apple dialogue box pop up saying that this will be a free download because you already purchased it. Hit yes and then the table should download. Do this for all the tables you own or want to buy, EXCEPT for Paranormal.

Then wait for Zen to fix the problem and update the app to fix Paranormal. Unless they get some kind of special expedited certification process, don't expect an updated app for at least a week or two.

Edit: Please note that either updating the game or uninstalling and reinstalling the game wiped my local scores and epic quest stats. This may happen to you.

Edit 2: Just played the Epic Quest table. It seems the cave hole bug has not been fixed.
    Last edited by surf1der; 03-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks, surf1der.

I'll do that now

Hopefully, they'll fix this sooner rather than later - very amateurish way to trade, when a simple update to allow new purchases breaks the entire application!

same problem aswell on ipad mini i have all the tables had to reinstall without the paranormal table or app just crashes out. Please fix it guys.

Thanks for the reports everyone- we are working on getting this resolved ASAP. Keep an eye out for an update.

Default Same crashing issue iPhone 5

Updated and began loading tables. The app just started downloading on its own. One table after another. Now I can't even get to the tables at all. App opens with welcome screen then second screen Zen Pinball then a scratching noise or interference crackling noise and goes back to iPhone screen with app still there among the other apps I have!! Make this stop please!

Default Confirmed work-around!

So my wife wasn't so patient and as soon as I let her know about the possible work around she was reinstalling.

Just like the others report, uninstall and then reinstall and just don't download the Paranormal table.

Quote Originally Posted by wathega View Post
    Like the others, we get a crash when the logo appears. It's my wife's device, so other than reboot it I try to stay away from it. If this lasts much longer, I'll suggest she reinstall - just don't get the Paranormal table, even though we already owned it.

And this is strange. I haven't updated the app yet. But today it stopped working - logo appears, then ZP disappears. Still active in the tray though. All worked fine last night, so go figure.

Game Center: carlczerny

Default Work around Paranormal

The updated IOS app 1.10 bombed for me too. Also with Paranormal download. Skipping Paranormal and downloading the rest worked.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingDjinn View Post
    It is due to the Paranormal table. You need to reinstall then make sure you DO NOT install the table. It works fine for me, though I need to reinstall everything. I did not read Falcon's post and by the way so you might know this already...

@falcon05- You were the one complaining about this problem with the screen and now you complain about the crash.
    First of all I wasn't the one that started the thread on iPhone 5 screen support nor did I ever complained about it in a post. In fact I have expressed my support and understanding in the issue by saying it's probably not easy to implement iphone 5 screen support and may not even be worth it since iPhone 5 users hold such a small market share. I did however pointed out how the app was getting roasted on the app store because of that (I personally rated the app 5 stars) and it would be in Zen's best interest to fix it ASAP.

Secondly even if I had complained about the iPhone 5 screen support AND about the crash, both would be legitimate complaints, no? It's not like I was asking for the iPhone 5 screen support first day after the iPhone 5 came out and I think as a paying customer I have the right to complain when the update breaks my game.

Why don't you program the tables and see how easy it is?
    But stop and think about how much work they do next time before you rant on the forums. And also just because it works on one platform or in testing does not mean it will work at launch.
    I believe I have been quite reasonable in expressing my concerns over the quality of product that Zen has put out for the iOS platform. I work in product development myself with a software component to my job. While I can't say I know exactly how hard it is to program the tables I can say that when you push out a product or an update they always need to go through a validation and verification process before launch. I have expressed my understanding for bugs like the Epic Quest bug where it would actually require playing the game for a good amount of time to catch, but for the Paranormal splash screen mistake and the current issue at hand it's just unacceptable because even the simplest verification process would've easily caught it. So the only conclusions I could draw from this is that either Zen does not have a verification team for the iOS, or that their verification team is severely understaffed and/or overworked, or that someone is not doing their job. Either way releasing an update that breaks the game should be considered a serious enough matter to warrant discussion for a review of the current verification process.

It's like going to a restaurant and finding a bug (pun) in my bowl of soup. I asked for a new bowl of soup and that the kitchen staff be a little more careful next time because this happens to be my favorite restaurant and I want to continue coming. Then you come along and tell me to think about how hard the chef has worked to cook the soup before I run my mouth off. I understand how hard they have worked but as a customer was my complaint not legitimate? All I am asking for is that they give me a new bowl of soup and that they do it as soon as they can. I won't even write a bad review on Yelp.

By the way, if you have the game setup in Game Center, it should not erase your scores.
    Good to know but I think I can wait.

I am not trying to be mean, just giving you another perspective.
    No offense taken, but you need to know where I am coming from. I actually want Zen to succeed in the mobile platform because I want more excellent tables from Zen. I want to see millions of users registered on GameCenter for each table to compare my scores with. It's very discouraging to see what is ultimately an excellent product get its reputation damaged because of peripheral issues like this. The more hardcore fans like us probably don't care and will stick with Zen through anything, but for the more casual gamers these issues can mean life or death. Look at the ratings on other pinball games available on the app store. I have tried most of them and they don't even compare with Zen and yet most of them are receive higher ratings and that's probably what's going to determine where customers will spend their money. I understand porting to different platforms are not always easy but when you do decide to do it you are making a commitment to your customers that you will do a good job. While I am not saying Zen hasn't done a good job, I think there needs to be some improvement. Just because it's difficult and that Zen, all things considered, has done a great job with the tables doesn't mean they should be immune to criticism.

after updating to 1.10 and go back to 1.09 the game still crashe, i just removed the PTSData.pxp file in var/mobile/applications/zenpinball/library and it work again.. but make sure to cut the wifi/3G connection before launch the game or it will download again that file

Hey everyone!

We resolved the issue with the latest update for Zen Pinball on iOS, you'll need to restart the app while being online and it should begin to work correctly. Sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you still have trouble.

Nice, swift resolution, and all working fine now, thanks!

Captain America splash screen still on Paranormal & needs sorting, though

Great response time! Although I hate to be that guy again but my app is still not working. Same problem as yesterday where I open the app and I see Zen pinball and then the app crashes out. I tried restarting the app and my phone still no luck. I use the app on an iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.3. Any tips would be great.

Should I delete the app and redownload everything? Has anyone tried the Paranormal table?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falcon05 View Post
    Great response time! Although I hate to be that guy again but my app is still not working. Same problem as yesterday where I open the app and I see Zen pinball and then the app crashes out. I tried restarting the app and my phone still no luck. I use the app on an iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.3. Any tips would be great.

Should I delete the app and redownload everything? Has anyone tried the Paranormal table?

Thanks
    You could try that. Some people have had to restart a few times to get it to register.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieBobomb View Post
    You could try that. Some people have had to restart a few times to get it to register.
    It works now, I had to start the game through gameCenter if anyone is still having trouble.

Default Table download stops when autolock occurs

I recall seeing on one of these forums (or maybe it was a review on the app store) a complaint that, because of the slow download speed of the tables on the iPhone (compared w iPad), one must babysit the download & keep refreshing the screen or else the iPhone's autolock feature will kick in and abort the download.
    Of course (until the slow table-download problem is corrected or table downloads are allowed to run in the background) the solution is to simply disable autolock in settings/general/.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSoper View Post
    I recall seeing on one of these forums (or maybe it was a review on the app store) a complaint that, because of the slow download speed of the tables on the iPhone (compared w iPad), one must babysit the download & keep refreshing the screen or else the iPhone's autolock feature will kick in and abort the download.
    Of course (until the slow table-download problem is corrected or table downloads are allowed to run in the background) the solution is to simply disable autolock in settings/general/.
    A really have no problem with download speeds. Everything is working fine for me, and i kept my Epic Quest progress. I'm loving the new tables, keep up the good work!!
    1BadPony on OpenFeint
    hillie16 on Game Center

Default I am still having trouble.

I tried restarting my ipad4 while online many times and in game center to start the app, but it won't let me restore my tables or download them one by one it always timeout or some error. I have a stable wi-fi connection.

Hey everyone!

We resolved the issue with the latest update for Zen Pinball on iOS, you'll need to restart the app while being online and it should begin to work correctly. Sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you still have trouble.

Default Paranormal loading screen now shows Captain America table

Hey everyone!

Thank you for the quick fix!

However, the loading screen for Paranormal now shows the Captain America table. No big deal, but somehow strange...

Quote Originally Posted by xor View Post
    Thank you for the quick fix!

However, the loading screen for Paranormal now shows the Captain America table. No big deal, but somehow strange...
    This has been this way for some time. Not a new issue.