Thread: Stereoscopic 3D in the Windows 8 app?

Question Stereoscopic 3D in the Windows 8 app?

Quickie question for the devs--- sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to add stereoscopic 3D support to the Windows 8 app? I know Microsoft has a ways to go to smooth out some issues with their app store (much less add features) so it wouldn't shock me if that was a no-go at the moment. If it's included in the Windows desktop version when it comes out I'll happily buy all the tables again :-)

Speaking of tables, I bought the Android batch just released and holy crap! Moon Knight is awesome! It gets my top vote for next Windows table.

Quote Originally Posted by snarfo View Post
    Quickie question for the devs--- sorry if this has been asked before, but is it possible to add stereoscopic 3D support to the Windows 8 app? I know Microsoft has a ways to go to smooth out some issues with their app store (much less add features) so it wouldn't shock me if that was a no-go at the moment. If it's included in the Windows desktop version when it comes out I'll happily buy all the tables again :-)

Speaking of tables, I bought the Android batch just released and holy crap! Moon Knight is awesome! It gets my top vote for next Windows table.
    You are right on the money there-- we want the download issues resolved before we put any more into the game at this point

Glad you are enjoying the new mobile tables! That library is so big now

Can't you just use the video cards eyefinity type settings and do this without in game support?

I thought apps had to be coded with 3D support to work. How would a forced 3D be able to tell what depths objects should be if the program doesn't have depth data?

Quote Originally Posted by snarfo View Post
    I thought apps had to be coded with 3D support to work. How would a forced 3D be able to tell what depths objects should be if the program doesn't have depth data?
    All 3d apps have a Z-axis. That's how things look layered and how the objects can interact. This is used to extrapolate 3d with the video card drivers. Apps that are coded for stereoscopic 3d may look better but the video card drivers do a fantastic job without the support. I remember playing dethkarz with 3d glasses back in 1998 using voodoo 3's extrapolation method and it was fantastic.

In Windows 7 nVidia 3D Vision drivers notices when Direct9 (or higher) game runs and starts 3D Vision automatically. Games has to have a profile (detected by gamename.exe) on drivers to work correctly, but even games without own profile works somehow on display drivers basic profile. With basic profile the world is 3D and works, but 2D objects, crosshair, fog, shaders, light, sky, enemy health bar, etc. are on the wrong depth.

I just tried Pinball FX2 in Windows 8 but I cant get 3D on. Stereoscopic 3D works on desktop in nVidias test application and I think problem is probably Modern UI apps. nVidia drivers doesnt detect those or Windows 8 force 3D off?

Anyway thumbs up for stereoscopic play.
    btw, somehow people who hated 3D gaming, 3D movies and 3D glasses few years back are now interested of Oculus Rift. B-)

Yeah I've researched/fiddled exhaustively and there seems to be no stereoscopic 3D support in Metro apps at all for now (I use nVidia's 3D Vision on my htpc) and even trying to force using a different game profile just for the sake of fiddling around still won't make anything work. I'm sure as it's just the initial iteration of the new app platform, 3D was not a top priority as it's a niche market but it will surely be added at some point (maybe Windows 8.1 later this year?).

I know stereoscopic 3D isn't everyone's cup of tea, but games that properly take advantage of 3D (like Tomb Raider) can really be amazing. I like the Zen pinball games on my Nintendo 3DS, just thinking wow if I could blow those up to proper living room size... I'd bond with the couch and gain 30 pounds hahaha

Thumbs up

Good news. Steam version works with 3D Vision even without offical profile for the game.
    There are few mini issues, like Archievements and countdown (3.. 2.. 1..) showing on wrong depth and dot matrix screen too.
    But yes it works and its fully playable. It was kind of fun to notice V12 table has a window to "lower level" and now its clearly lower than main table.

On a sad side, after months of waiting my Star Wars tables just doesnt download.

That's amazing news, thanks for sharing that data.