Thread: Help with serious flipper lag

Default Help with serious flipper lag

Guys i have just downloaded pinball fx 2 for windows 8 and i am having serious flipper lag... my pc is brand new and is a gaming machine.. specs are
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad Core 3.4GHz
    •Mainboard: Gigabyte H77 chipset mATX Mainboard with 2*USB3.0 ports
    •VGA: 4GB nVidia GT-630 16X PCI-E Dedicated Graphics
    •Memory: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR-3 1600MHz
    •Optical Drive: LG 10X Combo Drive
    •Hard Drive: 2TB Hard Drive
    I am running windows 8 pro and have the fastest cable internet connection available in australia... any help with this would be appreciated.. only thing i can think of is i have an older bluetooth keyboard so i am wondering if that could be an issue... but i doubt thats the problem
    Last edited by DJ_Inferno; 04-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

KickBeaten Down

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Inferno View Post
    Guys i have just downloaded pinball fx 2 for windows 8 and i am having serious flipper lag... my pc is brand new and is a gaming machine.. specs are
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad Core 3.4GHz
    •Mainboard: Gigabyte H77 chipset mATX Mainboard with 2*USB3.0 ports
    •VGA: 4GB nVidia GT-630 16X PCI-E Dedicated Graphics
    •Memory: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR-3 1600MHz
    •Optical Drive: LG 10X Combo Drive
    •Hard Drive: 2TB Hard Drive
    I am running windows 8 pro and have the fastest cable internet connection available in australia... any help with this would be appreciated.. only thing i can think of is i have an older bluetooth keyboard so i am wondering if that could be an issue... but i doubt thats the problem
    Do you have input lag issues in any other games?

Flipper lag is caused by the monitor. It's way more obvious in a game like pinball or a fighting game where one frame is noticable. It is not a problem that can be solved with software. It's input lag (google this) generated by LCD monitors and TV sets. You left out the monitor you use. And things like Internet connection speed and optical drive speed is totally irrelevant. I suppose its possible for some video processing to slow things down also. But that will manifest as general frame rate lag usually not flipper lag.

first of all the internet and optical drive are there because i just cut and pasted specs i had saved so they were not added for any reason. I should also say that when i push the control buttons on my keyboard the flipper works instantly BUT when the ball is at the flipper and i hit the control button there is a definite lag of a second or 2. my monitor is an LG w2353v full hd lcd monitor.. and no I don't have any other issues with any games.
    Last edited by DJ_Inferno; 04-06-2013 at 11:36 PM.

DJ_Inferno, you are running it on a powerful computer, more than mine. And I am running it in a Win 8 Virtual Machine (which uses a generic video driver) on a Win 7 host PC, and I don't have flipper lag whether hooked up to an LCD monitor or to an (LG) LED TV. If you can, I would suggest as an experiment you borrow a non-Bluetooth keyboard and see if that helps.
    Last edited by Seattlemark; 04-06-2013 at 11:45 PM.

its just strange that when the ball is not near the flippers there is no lag

OK problem solved... I do not know why the latest Bluetooth keyboard has lag issues but a wireless keyboard from 5 years ago works perfectly

Bluetooth is notorious for high latency unfortunately. A web search might help out with solutions or tweaks for the input lag (or a driver update for your bt controller and devices) but for my main gaming machine I only use wired devices for that very reason. I figure if I'm 2 feet from the computer there's no value in having a wireless keyboard or mouse anyway.

On my living room htpc I have a wireless backlit Logitech bluetooth keyboard and a wireless bt mouse, but if I'm gaming on the big screen there I generally use the Xbox 360 controller anyway.