Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Left4Dead
    • Nov 2016

Flipper Lag, Cabinet Mode, Williams tables, compared to any Zen game

Yes I have a very mediocre pc running my cabinet pinball. The FX3 or Zen titles are amazingly snappy, but all of the "Real Pinball" recreations are have doggy flipper lag to the point of unplayable. Brand new 40 Vizo tv.

I have tried turning Vsync off, ect, changing the AAF settings, shadows with no help at all. I if build a monster PC will it work? I can totally except this answer if it truly works.

IpacV2 - usb controller
    PC- Again I know my pc is not great.
    Windows 10
    Amd - A10-7850k
    8gb ram
    SSD Hd
    Video Card Radeon 6870

Last edited by Left4Dead; 12-22-2020, 03:07 PM.
  • AcadDude
    Pinhead
    • Sep 2018

I don't know the spec on that video card but I know that the lowest nvidia for a cabinet I would use is the 1050 ti. Maybe try a different main monitor if the card is better than a 1050. Make sure its at 60hz not 30hz. I don't think TVs run much higher than 60hz. I use a Samsung. it is good at 1920x1080. I can't get better resolution with my graphics card. My cabinet works fine with i5 7500 8gb ram with nvidia 1050ti. I run three monitors 2 at 1k off the graphics card and the dmd at 720p off usb. I have run the game off a quad PC with 1050ti and got it to run one monitor so I think the PC may not be the issue. Look at graphics card and monitor. Try getting using PC monitors instead of TV to see if that is the prob? Google has that card similar to 460. That video card seems to be lower spec than 1050 ti. Maybe get the card upgraded if using PC monitors doesn't help?

Comment

• Left4Dead
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by AcadDude
      I don't know the spec on that video card but I know that the lowest nvidia for a cabinet I would use is the 1050 ti. Maybe try a different main monitor if the card is better than a 1050. Make sure its at 60hz not 30hz. I don't think TVs run much higher than 60hz. I use a Samsung. it is good at 1920x1080. I can't get better resolution with my graphics card. My cabinet works fine with i5 7500 8gb ram with nvidia 1050ti. I run three monitors 2 at 1k off the graphics card and the dmd at 720p off usb. I have run the game off a quad PC with 1050ti and got it to run one monitor so I think the PC may not be the issue. Look at graphics card and monitor. Try getting using PC monitors instead of TV to see if that is the prob? Google has that card similar to 460. That video card seems to be lower spec than 1050 ti. Maybe get the card upgraded if using PC monitors doesn't help?
      Thanks for the direction to head, I will be getting a 1050ti very soon as it was so good advice. The TV is a 40" as I am using a full cabinet. I would think if the TV would work with the ZEN games just fine then it should not lag with the the Williams ones. The Williams may just be so taxing on the system causing the lag. I can put the NEW tv into "Game Mode" or computer mode, but it makes not noticeable change in the the Williams lag.

Ohhh btw the spec on that video card is "OLD" lol..6870

Comment

• KieferSkunk
        Pinhead
        • Nov 2020

Obviously don't know your setup, but when you said "mediocre" PC, and that you only have these problems with the Williams tables, my first thought was "what CPU do you have?"

The Williams tables require an emulator to run in tandem with the physics simulation and 3D rendering. I know that the emulation is at least partly based on PinMAME, which is very accurate but not necessarily the most efficient code around. So if you're running on an older or lower-end CPU (Core i3 or lower), you may be running into threading issues, especially if you have any other stuff running in the background. The emulator is probably running at a lower priority than the table sim, which would explain why it lags (especially the flippers, which are controlled by the emulator on WPC tables, FunHouse and newer).

I also suspect that some of Zen's "enhancements" (wizard powers, etc) increase the CPU and thread load because of how they have to hook into the emulator.

You don't see this with the Zen originals because they're coded from scratch with their own optimized engine.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• KieferSkunk
          Pinhead
          • Nov 2020

Sorry, I replied before reading your specs. Your CPU dates back to 2014, and according to several benchmark sites, it's significantly slower than the direct equivalent chip from Intel at the time (Core i3-4150 class). I do think that's just not likely to be powerful enough to handle both the physics and the emulation (the latter is CPU intensive and uses almost nothing of your available GPU resources).

Upgrading your video card will help a bit, I'm sure, but I think you'll get a much bigger improvement by upgrading your CPU and RAM (and likely your motherboard) to something more current.

Comment

• AcadDude
            Pinhead
            • Sep 2018

There are keyboard emulators that are ps/2 instead of usb also. The ps/2 port is straight on the motherboard. Usually the small round green socket or green and purple. I use a keywiz from groovygamegear for a ps/2 connection. Not all PCs have a ps/2 port anymore btw
            Last edited by AcadDude; 12-24-2020, 12:54 PM. Reason: Not all PCs have a ps/2 port anymore btw

Comment

• KieferSkunk
              Pinhead
              • Nov 2020

I'm a little puzzled. What would a PS/2 keyboard port/emulator do at this point? We're long past the years where USB keyboard lag was an issue. (Also, I'd think that if that was the problem, he'd be having this problem everywhere, not just on Williams tables.)

Comment

• Tom Lousberg
                Pinball Fan
                • Dec 2020

Lag

Hi guys, if you run into lag problems check (for max settings):

CPU, at least i5-4570
                RAM, Minimum 8Gb
                GPU, Minimum NVidia GTX970 or AMD equivalent
                Storage, SSD preferable

Set exclusions to Windows Defender for FX3, FP, VP, DOFLinx. Read post from Terry Red!
                UNBLOCK .dll and .vbs files
                Sometimes the videocard audiodriver is causing massive stutter, Disable driver in device manager, then uninstall audiodriver
                Tell windows NOT to update drivers in registry.

Hope some of this can help you out.
                Have a nice PinballChristmas!

Comment

• AcadDude
                  Pinhead
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by KieferSkunk
                  I'm a little puzzled. What would a PS/2 keyboard port/emulator do at this point? We're long past the years where USB keyboard lag was an issue. (Also, I'd think that if that was the problem, he'd be having this problem everywhere, not just on Williams tables.)
                  I know on a dual core processor it makes a difference. Those potato machines need all the help they can get.

Comment

• KieferSkunk
                    Pinhead
                    • Nov 2020

Originally posted by AcadDude
                    I know on a dual core processor it makes a difference. Those potato machines need all the help they can get.
                    Odd. I think the last time I ever had a problem with USB lag was on a computer built in 2006. (Shrug)

Comment

• Turtle Power
                      Pinhead
                      • May 2020

Originally posted by Left4Dead
                      Yes I have a very mediocre pc running my cabinet pinball. The FX3 or Zen titles are amazingly snappy, but all of the "Real Pinball" recreations are have doggy flipper lag to the point of unplayable. Brand new 40 Vizo tv.

I have tried turning Vsync off, ect, changing the AAF settings, shadows with no help at all. I if build a monster PC will it work? I can totally except this answer if it truly works.

IpacV2 - usb controller
                      PC- Again I know my pc is not great.
                      Windows 10
                      Amd - A10-7850k
                      8gb ram
                      SSD Hd
                      Video Card Radeon 6870

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...ML6lxnR7Q469yP

From my personal experience, building a monster PC won't solve the issue. TV's are notorious when it comes to input lag unless your TV has a specific gaming feature for example 'instant response' or similar. You must turn Gaming MODES ON if you have any available. Also make sure that you are using a quality video cable that is capable of transferring all required data at high speed. Your computer might be a little bit outdated for this application but it doesn't mean it won't be able to run. It would definitely struggle with 4K.

I've spent 2k on my computer for the purposes of running FX3 Williams tables only. My TV has a specific gaming features, running at 4K 100hz and using quality video cable that can go up to 120hz at 4k or 60hz at 8k.

In order to achieve smooth gaming experience you must have all your hardware up to spec.

Some pinball engines are less demanding. For instance, FX3 can be power hungry at times. There is a lot going there.

Comment

Working...