Thread: What are the chances of ever having user created tables?

Default What are the chances of ever having user created tables?

So with a full PC release you're now on a platform renowned for its incredibly creative, talented enthusiasts who love to take games apart and put them back together in interesting ways. There must've been some discussion in the studio about the possibility of user created tables, right? Can you say anything about the process of making a table and if it involves too much individual scripting to be able to release tools for the community? And if you can't justify releasing tools, what are the chances people could make tables anyway after picking apart the game files?
    Not just for our benefit, I imagine you guys get excited about new tables as much as we do, possibly you could even find some excellent freelancers to create new official tables

If you want user created content, check out Pure Pinball. It's free and has over 1000 tables you can get. It's a simulator, so there are tons of old classic pinball machines. As for Zen, I doubt they'll ever do anything like that. It would require a pretty hefty set of SDK tools I would think and their tables have a lot going on, especially when it switches to certain modes within the tables themselves.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. What are the ball physics like compared to Pinball FX2? As good as the table designs are it wouldn't be the same game without that feel.

The physics and graphics engine for Pure Pinball is great IMO. Can't beat the price either. Maybe not as cool and spectacular as most of the Zen tables, but it's definitely worth checking out if you are a pinball fan.

The only pure pinball game I know of was on the Xbox (360?) and it did not support any user created table. I will have to research this! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Loafer View Post
    The only pure pinball game I know of was on the Xbox (360?) and it did not support any user created table. I will have to research this! Thanks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Pinball

It was for the original Xbox and PC. The PC version was made by a different company compared to the Xbox version. My best bet is that the PC version is the one that allowed user generated content, while the Xbox version was limited to the pre-created tables.

That is odd, I must be tired as I cannot find anything relevant to loading other tables.

Kyros: are you certain you are not thinking of future pinball?

Quote Originally Posted by The Loafer View Post
    That is odd, I must be tired as I cannot find anything relevant to loading other tables.

Kyros: are you certain you are not thinking of future pinball?
    Oops yea haha. I don't know where I got pure pinball from. I think I did a quick google search and the name rung a bell. It's Future Pinball http://www.futurepinball.com/ ... that is the simulator that is free for PC with over 1000 tables

Sorry about that. My mistake.