Thread: Well, so much for getting this. Controller issue

Default Well, so much for getting this. Controller issue

Not that I can get it anyway since I am poor right now, but I hate it when developers assume that everyone using a PC is going to be using a 360 controller when there -are- actual PC controllers you can buy and use. Naturally I wasn't surprised in the least when I opened up the app and noticed the giant 360 tab in the Controls section. My PC controller didn't work at all when I tried one of the demos.

Anyway, I wasn't too worried because my Logitech controller has a mapping utility which I could use if a game didn't support it (like this one). However, to my dismay I realized that Pinball FX 2 doesn't like this utility very much, because the game just refuses to run whenever I started it up. It works when I open the app directly through Steam, but that won't let me use my controller. This is the first game that didn't work with my Logitech.

So yeah, I guess I'm not getting this anymore (I mean in the future of course) until you guys actually support more controllers than just the 360. I'm not going to buy a 360 controller either when my Logitech works perfectly fine with all the other PC games I have, not to mention I hate those anyway. I have tried other mapping software but they were too confusing to me, compared to my Logitech mapping software which is extremely easy to use. Of course, I dunno if those would work anyway if my own doesn't.

I am not mad, just disappointed that I can't use my PC controller for a PC game. I absolutely refuse to play any pinball game if I can't use a controller. Keyboards just plain suck for pinball games.

Let me know if you guys add controller support in the future. Until then I'll stick to my Vita for my pinball fix.

P.S. The Steam store page is misleading. It says Full Controller Support when it actually should say 360 Controller support.

Update: Meh, I guess nobody cares about my issue. 46 views and not a single reply.
    Last edited by Freelance; 05-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Hey, it's not the easiest program in the world to use, but try Xpadder. Check out my post.

I'm with you! I'm disappointed that I can't use my Logitech gamepad on the game. I may look into Xpadder, but for now I'll just stick with the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    I'm with you! I'm disappointed that I can't use my Logitech gamepad on the game. I may look into Xpadder, but for now I'll just stick with the keyboard.
    I'm using a Logitech G13 Gamepad with Pinball FX. But this model of Logitech is essentially just a one hand programmable keyboard. I get the feeling you guys are talking about something more like a traditional gamepad.

I took a quick try at getting a PS3 controller with USB to work using Xpadder but hit a brick wall. Turns out my G13 that I use for playing MMOs is fairly responsive and easily programmable. So I'm happy enough. I can set up a profile for Pinball and switch to it as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    I get the feeling you guys are talking about something more like a traditional gamepad.
    Yep! Well, I am at least. I'm not sure about the others.

I have a Logitech Dual Action controller, that looks similar in design as a Playstation DualShock controller. I'm not a big fan of the 360 controller and I really don't feel like shelling out $40 to get one either.

Default download x360ce utility to play games using non xbox controllers

Go here to be able to use your controller with PinballFX2 on Steam:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/down...-2.1.2.191.zip

download this file. It is a little program that will trick games into thinking you have an xbox 360 controller. It does this by taking the directInput information from your controller and sending it to the game as xInput calls. I have used this successfully on hundreds of pc games.

copy the x360ce.exe into the folder with the game's .exe. Run the x360ce program. It will create a .dll file and an .ini file. Use the program to map buttons from your controller to correspond with the buttons and sticks on an xbox controller. Click save. Close x360ce. For any game you want to use this with, just copy the created xinput3_1.dll and x360ce.ini into the folder with the game's .exe and then run the game. You should here a sound from your computer as the game starts to let you know the game sees your controller.

I have confirmed that this works with the Steam version of PinballFX. I use a Logitech pad and a generic six axis pad. x360ce works with both of these and should work with most others. Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. "Full controller support" in Steam just means you can use supported controllers to play the game as well as to install the game with the controller from Steam's "Big Picture Mode" interface for HDTVs.

Quote Originally Posted by jujohnso View Post

download this file. It is a little program that will trick games into thinking you have an xbox 360 controller. It does this by taking the directInput information from your controller and sending it to the game as xInput calls. I have used this successfully on hundreds of pc games.

copy the x360ce.exe into the folder with the game's .exe. Run the x360ce program. It will create a .dll file and an .ini file. Use the program to map buttons from your controller to correspond with the buttons and sticks on an xbox controller. Click save. Close x360ce. For any game you want to use this with, just copy the created xinput3_1.dll and x360ce.ini into the folder with the game's .exe and then run the game. You should here a sound from your computer as the game starts to let you know the game sees your controller.

I have confirmed that this works with the Steam version of PinballFX. I use a Logitech pad and a generic six axis pad. x360ce works with both of these and should work with most others. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thank jujohnso! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

P.S. "Full controller support" in Steam just means you can use supported controllers to play the game as well as to install the game with the controller from Steam's "Big Picture Mode" interface for HDTVs.
    Sounds too good to be true Thanks, I'll be trying this later today!

I was going to try this instead of Xpadder in the hopes that I could get my analog plunger working. But after I start it, as soon as it finishes checking for existing settings (which fails but no biggie, I was going to set it up manually), it gives me this error:

The program can't start because MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

...since you don't "install" this program, I don't know what to do. I did try running in admin mode and in XP compatibility mode and neither helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo5676 View Post
    I was going to try this instead of Xpadder in the hopes that I could get my analog plunger working. But after I start it, as soon as it finishes checking for existing settings (which fails but no biggie, I was going to set it up manually), it gives me this error:

The program can't start because MSVCP110.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

...since you don't "install" this program, I don't know what to do. I did try running in admin mode and in XP compatibility mode and neither helped.
    Download the missing dll and put it into your system32 folder. That's where mine is located. Maybe you really don't have it? You can try searching for it on the start menu search. Just type MSVCP110.dll and see if it pops up or not.

I can confirm that this works I had to do a little bit of tinkering, then when I loaded up PBFX2, everything was going nuts (As in, the selection thing was going everywhere at once, unplugging the controller worked, but then plugging it in again made it do it again). But, after loading up a table, everything was fine. I think manual ball launch works only half of the time though, maybe I can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman07 View Post
    Download the missing dll and put it into your system32 folder. That's where mine is located. Maybe you really don't have it? You can try searching for it on the start menu search. Just type MSVCP110.dll and see if it pops up or not.
    I was missing the Visual C++ redistributable mentioned in the wiki on the website. RTFM, right? It's just that the initial post made it sound so easy and linked directly to the download.

I'm trying to set it up now...

Sorry you are having problems Roo. It can be a little tricky to set up correctly for your controller, but once that's done properly it should work reliably. I have so many games on my system that all the needed libraries were already installed. But yeah, you might need to download and install Visual C++ runtimes or something.

I actually use version 2.1.2.190, so I haven't actually tested the version that I linked to. The random stick movements that snakeman mentioned should not be happening if x360ce is properly configured for his controller. I might try version ... .191 and see if I get the same problem, or you could just try version ... .190 and see if it works better. Good luck!

Right stick ball launch works for me, but seems very sensitive.
    Last edited by jujohnso; 05-12-2013 at 07:38 AM.

That's what it is, I need to take the sensitivity down.

Sorry you are having problems Roo. It can be a little tricky to set up correctly for your controller, but once that's done properly it should work reliably. I have so many games on my system that all the needed libraries were already installed. But yeah, you might need to download and install Visual C++ runtimes or something.

I actually use version 2.1.2.190, so I haven't actually tested the version that I linked to. The random stick movements that snakeman mentioned should not be happening if x360ce is properly configured for his controller. I might try version ... .191 and see if I get the same problem, or you could just try version ... .190 and see if it works better. Good luck!

No worries, as I put in my other topic, I did get it working. I ended up using the right trigger as the plunger because that worked best with my actual analog plunger on my cabinet. I did have a lot of bugs with the program, like it crashing immediately 9/10 times I tried to open it. It usually worked eventually. Also had it get stuck with the D-pad held "up" permanently once.

The plunger works pretty well, but often has a slight delay after releasing before the ball actually goes. Much better than using just a button, though. I can actually do skillshots on Wolverine and Boba Fett reasonably well now.

Yeah, I've had the x360ce configuration thing crash on me in certain circumstances. Can't remember how I fixed it.

I do skill shots on Boba Fett using the keyboard. If you press and hold the launch key, the plunger will slowly go up until the strength goes to nothing. That way you can hold and release the hold when the shot is at the desired strength without having to use an analog control.

Just read your other post. So yeah, glad you got your cabinet setup working. I can see how in that case you would want the plunger assigned to an analog control. Sorry x360ce was so buggy for you. There are many different builds of that utility that you can find if you google "xbox 360 controller emulation" In the last 4 years, I've probably used about 6 different versions in my quest to get all my games working with non xbox controllers.

Good luck and enjoy your cabinet setup!
    Last edited by jujohnso; 05-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions above. Will have to try them out this evening aswell as I'm running into the same issue.

Nonetheless I hope zen studios fixes this and supports mapping controls for any controller soon.

EDIT: Awesome, thanks jujohnso, got it working with x360ce
    Last edited by Senthrax; 05-14-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Awesome! Glad to help. x360ce has saved me the expense of buying an xbox controller when I already have enough non xbox controllers. I've used it with bunches of games and I don't think there is a single game that I have not gotten to work with some version of it eventually!

Default Awesome program!

If you are having any problems with the Xbox 360 controller emulator download this new .dll -file and put it in the same directory with the program's exe. Replace the existing file with the new one: http://virusdev.ovh.org/files/xinput1_3.dll

Works like a charm with my Logitech Rumblepad2. I had issues with the older dll myself.

I bought a USB key mapping device from Ebay. I have a pincab with 5 buttons, two on each side, and a launch button. I'm able to map these to the appropriate buttons in game and they work great. I have an issue with the menus though. It seems like the "up" button the DPAD is stuck as the menu just scrolls indefinitely. I've tried selecting the phantom DPAD and mapping it to buttons, but that doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone configured a pincab using x360ce? This whole situation would be a lot easier if Pinball FX would just support other joysticks and let you manually assign buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by scottchiefbaker View Post
    I bought a USB key mapping device from Ebay. I have a pincab with 5 buttons, two on each side, and a launch button. I'm able to map these to the appropriate buttons in game and they work great. I have an issue with the menus though. It seems like the "up" button the DPAD is stuck as the menu just scrolls indefinitely. I've tried selecting the phantom DPAD and mapping it to buttons, but that doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone configured a pincab using x360ce? This whole situation would be a lot easier if Pinball FX would just support other joysticks and let you manually assign buttons.
    Yeah, that might be the buggiest program I've ever used, but I have it working. See this thread.

Or at least, I did have it working. It recently just stopped working randomly after working for months (and I didn't change any of its settings). Unfortunately I had a burst pipe at my place, so the pincab is stored away right now. I haven't looked at it again.

I could never get x360ce to work. I exclusively use Xpadder. I mapped my analog nudge and plungers to digital keystrokes with dead bands. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiram View Post
    I mapped my analog nudge and plungers to digital keystrokes with dead bands. Works great.
    Well, I'm sure that works; I don't know that it works "great". I'd really like to have analog nudging and especially properly working analog plunging. There are quite a few missions involving skillshots that get really frustrating without it (or with a flaky analog plunger like I've had through x360ce).

Did you have to map the DPAD or analog sticks to anything special? Right now I have the following super simple config

Left button #1: left flipper (left trigger)
    Left button #2: nudge right (left stick right)

Right button #1: right flipper (right trigger)
    Right button #2: nudge left (left stick left)

Launch button: launch the ball (A)

I don't do anything with the DPAD, or the Right stick. My menus scroll automatically like crazy, it's a pain to select things.

Once a table is launched it works great.

If I recall I'm actually using xpadder to translate most of my joystick inputs to key presses and then remapping the controls in game accordingly. My 4 flipper buttons are up/down/left/right so I can navigate the menu using the cab. So I think I'm only using x360ce for the plunger at the moment.

Anyway, I had the same problem with dpad getting stuck "up" for no reason. Try manually editing the .ini file x360ce creates to modify or remove the dpad input assignments (rather than using the x360ce GUI).

Yeah, Roo. Maybe great is too strong a word. I really wanted to get analog working, but it ended up being too buggy. I'm happy with it as it is now though.

I never mapped buttons to navigate menus since I set up PinballX to launch specific tables via AHK.

I'm using my Power A wireless controller with Joytokey (program) works like a charm.
    Bonus multiplier goes nuts on drains

[QUOTE= This whole situation would be a lot easier if Pinball FX would just support other joysticks and let you manually assign buttons.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a different controller.